To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

PTG Tips / Advice

A forum for news and comment on The Times' Play The Game fantasy football game.
thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

PTG Tips / Advice

Post by thebillfella »

Normally play TFF and FPL so new to this game but looking to have a go with a few mates. I read the rules this morning and am now feeling a little faint!

Are there any tips / tactics that more experienced players of this game can pass on to a PTG virgin?

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Re: PTG Tips / Advice

Post by thebillfella »

Is there anybody out there...?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

axel
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF superleague winner 08/09 & 11/12, Euro 08 superleague winner, 64th in TFC08, Fantasy Cricket 08/09 + 09/10 SL winner

Post by axel »

I'm here, but also pretty new at this game. Just collating my team list.

C.Sativa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by C.Sativa »

I've played for last 2 seasons, but I still don't know the point system.It's so complicated I didn't bother to read.
But my advice is, be very careful when you rank your players for allocation.You can win the game with your player selection even before the season starts.Make a long ranking list.
Make sure you have good players from all departments at the top of your ranking list.That means don't crowd the top of your list with all Strikers and Midfielders, mixed them with defenders and GKs as well.A lot of people are listing like Rooney-Lamp-Gerard-Fab-Arshavin etc. and not including defenders and GKs on their priority.
I believe the most important thing in this game is your ranking list before the allocation.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Can anyone describe how the ranking list works?

snout
FISO Knight
FS Record: a slice of that cake, over there

Post by snout »

I think the ranking is decided by The Times on some sort of formula - can't help you with that formula.

Crikey, the rules in this game are complex.

I can't get my head around this using each attacking position only 38 times. So, unlike OFL, you can't just maximise the number of plays your players get; you have to be selective who plays when. Does that mean you should play your best players against the bad teams and rest them, say, when they play the top teams? Trying to keep to one-position-used-per-FPL-gameweek on average?

This is the disposition of my squad post-rotisserie draft. Where a player has more than one category, I have counted them in each one:

GK: 1
LB: 4
CB: 4
RB: 2
LM: 7
RM: 2
FOR: 8

Somehow I have ended up with 8 players who can play as a Forward from the draft. And 5 of those can only play as a FOR. I guess I'm going to have to ship out a whole load of these as soon as possible?

I need a backup goalie pronto, I guess. And I need a few more right-sided players. I'm top of the notice list and Insua (LB unfortunately) looks tempting. Schwarzer is free and Evans (CB) is too. Ivanovic is free and - should Bosingwa go - he waould be an excellent pick. On balance, I think I'll go for Schwarzer as that is my most urgent need.

Can I only put one player on notice at any one time? I know I drop to the bottom of the notice list when I win a player.

Scottoffee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in a month on Sky at some point...

Post by Scottoffee »

As far as I can tell, you can make claims for as many unallocated players as you want - I've currently got 3 for another of my teams

Decided to follow your lead and quantify the balance of my team - not brilliant really.

Distinct lack of RB & RM - Zabaleta counts as both, so only one other option for each!...

Anyone want Anderson and/or Lorik Cana for a RM?!...

GK: 1
LB: 3
CB: 2
RB: 2
LM: 5
CM: 9
RM: 2
FOR: 4

snout
FISO Knight

Post by snout »

I was able to make 2 successful claims for out-of-contract players so yes, you can submit multiple ones at any one time.

Another dumb question... when you select a player in an active position but that player does not get on the pitch, does that count as one use of that position?

i.e. If I play Vidic on Wednesday night in an active position but he's not in the squad, do I lose one of my 38 CB plays for the season?

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

snout wrote:I was able to make 2 successful claims for out-of-contract players so yes, you can submit multiple ones at any one time.

Another dumb question... when you select a player in an active position but that player does not get on the pitch, does that count as one use of that position?

i.e. If I play Vidic on Wednesday night in an active position but he's not in the squad, do I lose one of my 38 CB plays for the season?
I don't think so, but as I'm also new to this game and not sure I think I'll bench any players that I know are out, even if that means leaving a position free. They'll come a point later when that extra game may come in useful.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

thebillfella wrote:
snout wrote:I was able to make 2 successful claims for out-of-contract players so yes, you can submit multiple ones at any one time.

I don't think so, but as I'm also new to this game and not sure I think I'll bench any players that I know are out, even if that means leaving a position free. They'll come a point later when that extra game may come in useful.
Just tried this and it automatically puts another eligible player into the empty position when you save, so can we assume that the position game doesn't count if the player doesn't actually play?

snout
FISO Knight

Post by snout »

I'm not so sure. If that eligible player does not have a game then, yes, we know it doesn't count against the 38 uses of that position.

However, if the eligible player does have a game but does not play, we're not certain what happens. It's not obvious in the rules or the FAQ and I don't want to risk losing a slot to find out! I benched Vidic and Zhirkov for that reason last night.

Scottoffee
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd in a month on Sky at some point...

Post by Scottoffee »

It's not a problem : if they don't play - it won't get deducted.

Didn't lose any for Carvalho not playing last night or Carrick, Zabaleta, Paulo da Silva or de Jong over the weekend.

Why aren't my guys effing playing?!...

j0nners
Grumpy Old Ram
FS Record: TFFO - 13th 08-09, 10th 07-08, 11th 06-07

Post by j0nners »

I've played for a couple of seasons. The scoring's not too bad once you get used to it - obviously the inclusion of categories such as minutes played, successful passes, defensive points etc mean that guaranteed starters from lesser teams can become big hitters.

Just to clarify - if you have someone in a position (eg Carvalho last night) where their team played but they didn't it doesn't count as an appearance.

Regarding transfers, anyone out of contract is fair game unless they've been released by another team within 48 hours, in which case they go on Notice, which gives everyone 48 hours to claim that player. If a new player comes to the league (i.e. Arshavin last year) then they also will go on Notice for 48 hours. If more than one person wants that player, then they go according to which manager is highest on the notice priority list.

Don't know if there's much more to add, except that it's worth having a look at teams before kick off to get the occasional starters from the big boys (i.e. Ivanovic last night) into your team as they may well be out of contract. You can always ship them out subsequently for a more nailed on starter.

And yes - the draft pick can to an extent decide 50% of your season as I found to my cost in the first year.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Times' Play The Game (PTG)”