To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Times' Play The Game - 2007/08

A forum for news and comment on The Times' Play The Game fantasy football game.
Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

This game is intriguing :P

Some of the rules / nuances of PTG completely baffle me - but it still looks a lot of fun. A completely different approach to FPL/TFF, it'll be interesting to see how tactics play out.

Starting to make more sense of things now player allocation has taken place.

Bijoux has landed Fake plus an impressive front line
Don't Call Me Babel has a well balanced squad, strength in all areas and has got to be one of the favourites from the off
Jimmy's Jewels 3 has a solid defence, Arteta + Arsenal front line
Magfliers has an amazing strike force (you'll prob be able to play some of these in mid) with Lehmann & Carvalho bringing up the rear
Pyrford Power seems balanced with plenty of mid range players
Sky Blue Penguins ... well as long as you're happy :lol: Landed Gerrard so no complaints there
The Hand of Dodd - Serious J-Lo! Heavy back line ... but noticeable gaps elsewhere
Browny's Rudeboys - Good strength in depth ... plus Rooney
SuperPretzels - Nice mix, killer midfield

I'm fairly happy with my own set up too 8-)

Everton block so fingers crossed that works out, also very dependent on Blackburn and Liverpool. Not much flexibility which will hurt me on the first Sunday. Anyone want to tempt me with Man U / Chelsea?

Few transfers will be the order of the day ... once I get my head round them :roll: Cut off some of my dead wood using the add/release function, think I've got to wait 48hrs for that to go through?

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

Post by dazedandconfused »

krispdafunk wrote: Few transfers will be the order of the day ... once I get my head round them :roll: Cut off some of my dead wood using the add/release function, think I've got to wait 48hrs for that to go through?
All out of contract players are on notice for 48 hours after the allocation. You can still claim any of these players during this period but you will only get them if no one else with a higher priority in the notice priority list puts in a claim. The priority is initially set in the reverse order of the first round of the player allocation ie if you had no.1 pick you should now be 10 in the priority list. After a sucessful claim you then go bottom of the notice list so you should manage your use of your notice claims carefully.

Your team looks pretty good to me, I'd be happy with that.

:?

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

dazedandconfused wrote:Your team looks pretty good to me, I'd be happy with that.

I'm more than satisfied with my lot :D It's just the prospect of changing things around that excites me :lol:

The rules will become clearer once the game gets underway

eg: Scoring - what is the role of 3x Subs? Are you effectively playing 553?

Transfers between clubs will also be interesting - the more activity the better in my opinion! I'm happy for Nigel to run both teams concurrently as the rest of the league have to sanction any movement between clubs. Although if he wishes to disband Don't Call Me Babel, then there're a few names I've got my eye on :wink:

It be good to know which team belongs to which FISOer ... perhaps this should be saved for a dedicated thread? Same name as FPL, mine's Y'all be bad 8-)

Regarding out of contract players:

I've got at least four I'd be happy to let go. I've selected replacements, however this can be edited. Does my 48hours start from when I first declare my interest or when I edit the list? If other players don't claim any of them within 48 hours, do i get all four or does the process start again in reverse priority? I'm not overly concerned if I get these out of contract players as they're hardly creme de la creme. Chances are there'll be a few new faces too before the season kicks off :P

paulks
Red & Blue Braces

Post by paulks »

I'm assuming that the new faces won't be added for a little while yet as it will complicate the ranking process for those leagues not allocated yet - certainly there didn't seem to be any additions to the player list last week despite the fact that Manchester City signed about 3 squads worth and they weren't the only real life transfers.

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

krispdafunk wrote:eg: Scoring - what is the role of 3x Subs? Are you effectively playing 553?

Regarding out of contract players:

I've got at least four I'd be happy to let go. I've selected replacements, however this can be edited. Does my 48hours start from when I first declare my interest or when I edit the list? If other players don't claim any of them within 48 hours, do i get all four or does the process start again in reverse priority? I'm not overly concerned if I get these out of contract players as they're hardly creme de la creme. Chances are there'll be a few new faces too before the season kicks off :P
Your starting lineup each week consists of 11 players + 3 subs and are all active and score points, you then have 6 other reserve, non scoring players.

All the players that were not allocated went on the 48hr notice list straight after the allocation. The 48 hrs relates to each player, not when you put a claim in. When the 48 hrs expires they are then available to pick up without using your notice priority ie they are no longer on notice but are out of contract and it is then first come first served.

If at the moment there are some highly valuable players on notice then there may well be a scramble to get them, this is why you may want to try to get them using your notice priority rather than wait till they become out of contract because by then someone else may well have grabbed them using their notice priority. Clearly the teams with the highest priority at the moment have the advantage in claiming valuable players during this period.

Any players dropped from teams at any stage during the season go on notice for 48 hours after they are dropped , so notice priority comes into play again if you wish to use it to claim that player.

Using your notice priority is a skill in itself. For example if you do not use it at all between now and January and everyone else uses theirs you will rise to the top of the notice priority list. If Chelsea then buy Ronaldinho in the January transfer window he will be added to the out of contract list but will be on notice for 48hrs, you will then be certain to get him by putting a claim in. This is an extreme example of course.

I hope this makes sense.

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Cheers D&C'd! I take it you're familiar with this style of game? Expect plenty more questions :lol:

One more for now ...

Re: Maximum Plays

I was messing around with formation so have already racked up a few "player transactions". I'm hoping the Maximum Plays rule only applies between fixtures? Otherwise I'm going to use up half my allowance before first kick off! This is another area which I'll have to play wisely :shock:

Ps: Which is your team

axel
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF superleague winner 08/09 & 11/12, Euro 08 superleague winner, 64th in TFC08, Fantasy Cricket 08/09 + 09/10 SL winner

Post by axel »

Well, i'm interested now i've got Fake :)

Just one question, do we have a season limit on how many players we can put on notice?

Bought todays Times as it has a bit about the game, but not read it yet. Will post any interesting titbits.

My main game is TFF, but thought i'd have a go at this as it looks a bit different.

crabby
Dumbledore

Post by crabby »

Doing one with a few mates (must be mad). Any tips on ordering my players are first draft is Wednesday?

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

krispdafunk wrote:Cheers D&C'd! I take it you're familiar with this style of game? Expect plenty more questions :lol:

One more for now ...

Re: Maximum Plays

I was messing around with formation so have already racked up a few "player transactions". I'm hoping the Maximum Plays rule only applies between fixtures? Otherwise I'm going to use up half my allowance before first kick off! This is another area which I'll have to play wisely :shock:

Ps: Which is your team
I play Fantasy Baseball games which are roto games upon which this is based.

MAXIMUM PLAYS would be better described as Maximum game appearances. What this means is that you can only have 38 player game appearances over the season for each 14 scoring positions. Taking another extreme example say Man U play every saturday and Blackburn every sunday, you cannot play Ronaldo in LM every saturday and then move Bentley into the LM slot for every sunday game as this would result in 76 plays for the LM slot. A PLAY or game appearance is therefore only when you have a player in a slot and he plays in a game for which you score points. You can mess around with your formation as much as you like before and between games.
axel wrote:Just one question, do we have a season limit on how many players we can put on notice?
There is no limit on how many times you can add/drop or transfer players during the season (transactions). In fantasy baseball a limit is sometimes included for add/drops when there are no Maximum Play limits, generally though a limit is usually put on number of at bats or games played for hitters and innings pitched for pitchers.

I'm not in a FISO league, I wish I had joined now. There is a very vibrant baseball community in the UK for which a fantasy baseball game based on normal fantasy football games is run at http://www.fantasybaseballuk.com/index.php , how ironic is that. We have organised two ten team leagues for this Times game with promotion / relegation hoping that it runs for several years.

Feel free to ask anything, I'm glad to be of help.

wez
Wideboy

Post by wez »

Well Must say i fairly happy with my allocated team (SuperPretzels) Centre Backs leave alot to be desired :D

just wondering once you try add/release a player do they dissapear off the list. cant see what others are trying to do. or am i being a bit thick.

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

wez wrote:just wondering once you try add/release a player do they dissapear off the list. cant see what others are trying to do. or am i being a bit thick.
While a player is on notice they remain on the list for everyone to see until the 48 hrs are up, the player is then allocated to the team with the highest notice priority that put in a claim. The player that is released then goes on notice for 48 hrs for others to claim or not. If no one puts in a claim for a player on notice that player is then out of contract so any manager can pick him up instantly with no effect on their notice priority. You cannot see what claims any manager is putting in for any player on notice.

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Can I assume everyone's received an email (as per the rules) re the 4x players I put on notice? I haven't heard anything about other managers dropping players? I've checked my junk mail - are there settings I should alter?

Edit: D&C'd - only just realised you're using the confused smiley as a signature ... thought you were having a dig in your first reply :lol:

wez
Wideboy

Post by wez »

Cheers for answering my question.

Come up with another now.

With each position within the squad getting just 38 plays. What happens if u dont fill a position due to no appearance?

does that position remain open until you have a player actually play?

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

wez wrote:With each position within the squad getting just 38 plays. What happens if u dont fill a position due to no appearance?

does that position remain open until you have a player actually play?
Yes, it will just keep a record of the number of plays actually used and it's up to you to max it out at 38 (although you don't have to) by the end of the season however you see fit. With games on Saturday, Sunday and midweek you can select matchups you like for your players and put them in the active lineup to suit. If you don't use a slot one week then you can use it twice the next week if the fixtures fall right for your players.
krispdafunk wrote:Can I assume everyone's received an email (as per the rules) re the 4x players I put on notice? I haven't heard anything about other managers dropping players? I've checked my junk mail - are there settings I should alter?

Edit: D&C'd - only just realised you're using the confused smiley as a signature ... thought you were having a dig in your first reply :lol:
Don't know if this helps but if the players you are dropping are part of notice claims then no notification will be sent unless and until your claim is successful (at the expiration of the 48 hrs notice period of the player being claimed). If a claim is unsuccesful then that player you were dropping remains on your team so notification isn't required.

Notification to the rest of the league should be immediate if it is simply a drop or a drop+add of an out of contract player ie not on notice.

As a new poster on these forums I don't think I have the right to have a dig at anyone yet :wink:

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Feel free to dig away :lol: Friendly banter is well received 8-)

Still trying to attatch the final three teams to FISOers ...

Magflyers :?:
The Hand Of Dodd Nigel1305
Pyrford Power :?:
Bijoux Axel
Don't Call Me Babel Nigel1305
Jimmys Jewels 3 :?:
superpretzels Wez
Sky Blue Penguins Paulks
Y'all be bad Krispdafunk
browny's rudeboys Browny

Something to consider when checking out the competition ... Browny didn't get a chance to re-rank his players :roll: Still, he didn't come off too badly :wink:

jimmyrep
Kevin and Perry

Post by jimmyrep »

Hey all

Jimmys Jewels 3 = jimmyrep

When setting rankings, did anyone consider the multiple positions that players can have? eg. Lucas Neil was listed as RB but is now listed as RB/CB in my team (this information was hidden, and is still hidden unless the player is in your team)

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Hi Jimmy,

This info wasn't available but definately worth considering when deciding your "active" line up. Some players are a lot more flexibile eg: MGP can play left/central/right midfield or as a forward. Other players are much more limited ie: just central defence. This will restrict options when trying to plan for maximum plays (see above).

I wonder if there's a distiction between the pair of central defenders / midfielders?

I made my ranking decisions based more on feel rather than The Times' stats. I'm not sure how Robbo is No1 keeper :? I played FPL last year and my approach to FF is based on that experience. Decided to branch out this season and try my hand at a few other games.

I replied to your PTG email this morning but if you've not received it then we could try via PM?

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

By process of elimination ... I would hazard a guess that D&C'd = Pyrford Power :?:

50/50 shot :P (Plus Magflyers hasn't logged onto PTG since 23rd July)

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Still not sure how to play game, probably silly question but do you have to fill the slots or can you just have 5/6 or what ever players to be used with rest as benched, so you can use the slots to best advantage and are the slots tied to a particular position

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

krispdafunk wrote:By process of elimination ... I would hazard a guess that D&C'd = Pyrford Power :?:
See my post above Aug 06 9.01pm

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

mikeg13 wrote:Still not sure how to play game, probably silly question but do you have to fill the slots or can you just have 5/6 or what ever players to be used with rest as benched, so you can use the slots to best advantage and are the slots tied to a particular position
From the rules:-

Each team within a league will have a squad of 20 players of which a maximum of the following 14 will be in scoring positions in a 4-4-2 formation plus three substitute as follows:

1 GK
1 LB
2 CB
1 RB
1 ANY OF GK, LB, CB, RB sub

1 LM
2 CM
1 RM
1 ANY OF LM, CM, RM sub

2 FOR
1 FOR sub

This seems to be open to interpretation, my league hasn't allocated yet so I can only go by my baseball league experience, which is that mass benching of players other than the 6 would either not be possible and/or frowned upon. Putting players into active slots for a particular day on which they are not playing should achieve your objective of using slots to their best advantage. (hope that makes sense)

I assume you can only put a GK in a GK slot etc. as with any normal fantasy football game.

After my league has allocated tomorrow I might be able to be a bit more definitive with some of my answers, plus a lot will become clearer once the season gets underway.

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

dazedandconfused wrote:
krispdafunk wrote:By process of elimination ... I would hazard a guess that D&C'd = Pyrford Power :?:
See my post above Aug 06 9.01pm

Ah, you're just our guardian angel ... in which case, much appreciated 8-)

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

krispdafunk wrote:Ah, you're just our guardian angel ... in which case, much appreciated 8-)
I've never been called a Guardian Angel before, a Guardian Reader yes :lol:

Just thought I could help out a bit.

MERLIN
Wideboy
FS Record: Not bad but barren last few years

ANYWAY COMPLICATED OR NOT

Post by MERLIN »

Is there a FISO league been set up?
I am intrigued with this ,I would imagine it is not a million miles of the OFL Auction or professional games.
However scoring radically different but then so was and is Fanball (how many errors and problems did that cause) and still the usual suspects were there or there abouts ?
Bit like footy it all rounds down in the end and the top 4 are usually the top 4 but me thinks not for much longer in the real Prem.
Couple more seasons and the change in the wind may well come about!!!
8-)

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

My league has now drafted (sorry player allocation has taken place) so here it is for anyone to comment on. It's a 10 team league and I had 1st pick.

Bench :- Cahill, Owen, Ekotto, Boateng, Healy, O'Connor

My first thoughts were that I need to address the CB situation, would like to have cover at GK and RB and I have no idea what I'll get out of Vorinin.

To try to address these needs I've put in notice claims for Given, Luke Young, Campbell / Upson and Mendes / Reo-Coker / Mascherano releasing Ekotto, Boateng, Healy and O'Connor.

I was offered a trade (transfer) almost immediately which was I give up Bentley and get Arteta. I turned it down mainly because I think Bentley will turn out to be the more valuable but also because I think I would then be overloaded with Everton players.

Now I can access my team I can properly answer the following
mikeg13 wrote:Still not sure how to play game, probably silly question but do you have to fill the slots or can you just have 5/6 or what ever players to be used with rest as benched, so you can use the slots to best advantage and are the slots tied to a particular position
All active slots must be filled and so the bench is 6 max.

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Hi D&C'd :D

That's a decent looking set up ... even without Ronaldo - gotta be pleased 8-)

48hrs has passed since our "draft" and the first players have been released from the out of contract list.

I landed R. Bianchi, J. Carew and Shay Given.

I then talked myself out of having 2x keepers and put him back on the market :lol: He's now back on 48hr notice ... d'oh :roll:

Early bird catches the worm and this morning I also snapped up S. Petrov and Ryan Nelson. Blackburn should be reasonable in defence plus as Captain, RN should play week in, week out. I dropped Emerton from my original draft as he'll now be competing with the fit again Oojier for RB.

Bentley is understandably a popular pick but I've already agreed to let him go :? Double transfer Bentley+Yobo :arrow: Evra+Cambell ... hope I'm not making a horrible mistake! My rational is that I've already got MGP plus too many Liverpool/Rovers players missing midweek. Evra gives me a Utd player plus should contribute a few assists over the course of the season. This then frees up Baines as a bargaining chip for future transfers. Pompey haven't got a great start to the season but Sol will be there ready when I need him.

Having had double second thoughts, I'm now on the waiting list for Given again :lol: Not holding my breath as I'm right down the pecking order (plus posting this is drawing extra attention!)

This is my current squad and I feel its fairly well balanced

No dedicated RB's but Melberg and Dunne can both fill in there. As a more experienced player, can you identify any areas of concern? Suggest best positions for improvement?

I'm hoping you might be able to offer a few tips re: tactics :?:

You could tell me that the scoring's simple ... but I won't believe you!

Is the scoring totaled daily as apposed to GW's? Therefore it's probably a good idea to target the days when fewer teams are playing (eg: first Sunday)? Even if my transfer goes through, I can only field a maximum of 3 ... Evra, Harper, Larsson. Its not just about getting the highest number of passes / assists / goals ect but getting more than the other managers in the league.

And just to confirm - active subs score exactly the same as the first 11? So effectively playing 553? The subs become important as part of the Maximum Play rule

Edit: Just done Nelson :arrow: Murty, can't hope for a CS away at OT but at least I'll get the appearance points, tackles, passes ect. So that makes four for sunday 8-) (plus RB covered)

My final point is that any preseason transfers need to be agreed by 2.45 at the latest tomorrow to allow 48hrs for the move to be sanctioned.

So if anyone's interested in my line up ... ask away :wink:

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Early days but am starting to get a little understanding of the game now , thanks to our kind helper. Hope they sort out the game dates though, as they have Afc/Fulham game as on Saturday when it should be on the Sunday and the postponed games due to champ league are still shown

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

Hi Krispdafunk

Well you've certainly got yourself stuck in already to this type of game.

For the avoidance of doubt all my comments relate to a 10 team league.

I think having a second keeper as insurance and / or for playing them in a favourable matchup is a good idea. The GK position is pretty thin as far as out of contract players is concerned as many managers will have either drafted 2 or picked up a second, so an injury to your no.1 could be trouble if you don't have cover.

I like your trade, you've upgraded your defence using a player , Bentley, from an area you looked stronger in, and as I'm sure everyone will discover you have to give up value to get value.

The scoring updates overnight each day As the scores are cumulative there is no advantage in targeting any particular day to have your players going. When it all shakes out everyone can max out 38 plays in each of the 14 active slots.

The subs score just like the 11 in your starting lineup, there are 38 plays for each of the subs positions just like the 11 starting positions, 553 as you said.

I think managing 38 plays per position is going to be the toughest part of the game, keep an eye on all the scoring categories to see where you ( and everyone else) are weak or strong which will guide you on where you need to strengthen and where you can afford to deal from and who with.

I must admit I'm a little confused over the scoring tables at the moment, I've sent a feedback query and I'll post the result when I get a reply. Maybe it will become clearer once the games get underway.

I'm still relatively new to any form of fantasy football so until a couple of weeks have passed I don't have much more of a clue than anyone else what players will be the most valuable in this scoring system, bar the obvious ones like Ronaldo :D of course. My guess is that it will not be much different from 'standard' games although I do think that goalies will make the least contibution.

Just heard that Given is out for 2 weeks with a groin problem, I'll still try to pick him up and hope he stays fit for the rest of the season.

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

mikeg13 wrote:Early days but am starting to get a little understanding of the game now , thanks to our kind helper. Hope they sort out the game dates though, as they have Afc/Fulham game as on Saturday when it should be on the Sunday and the postponed games due to champ league are still shown
Send feedback to them on this, it's an important omission that could destroy some peoples enjoyment of the game by mucking up their planing for their lineups.

jimmyrep
Kevin and Perry

Post by jimmyrep »

[The subs score just like the 11 in your starting lineup, there are 38 plays for each of the subs positions just like the 11 starting positions, 553 as you said.]

I don't understand this, I thought that the subs were only used if one of the 11 doesn't play.

Also, can a defender sub with position CB be used to replace a RB in the main 11 who does not play??[/quote]

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Times' Play The Game (PTG)”