To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Times' Play The Game - 2007/08

A forum for news and comment on The Times' Play The Game fantasy football game.
admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Times' Play The Game - 2007/08

Post by admin »

Free to Play. Monthly non-cash prize draw depending on position in your league. New rules, explained in posts below.

Entry:
http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk
or:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/playthegame

FAQs:
http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/so ... lp/faq.asp

Rules:
http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/so ... /rules.asp

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

no prizes of note - ridiculously complicated.

why have they bothered launching this game, after all the hard work they have put in blundering about and changing rules mid game to reduce entry numbers, why not just cancel it or put the sun game in both papers.

very confused by further blundering about by the worst crowd in uk fantasy football.

really can't see who is going to play this game. had one glance at the rules and that was enough!

not really a disappointment as i had no intention of playing a game (sun or times) run by these clowns.

andy

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

I would guess that the leader board domination of last season and the endless complaints has forced the newspaper to ask for a game where that is guaranteed not to happen again. No multi entrants and you can't really complain if you can't lose money - perfect :lol:

It might turn out to be a good game, but so so complicated.

The Bear
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Would be alot better but for Andy L & E !

Post by The Bear »

Generally the really cost of playing FF is the time spent on your teams so I cant understand why people get so excited about free games with crap prizes!
Im pleased the Times have made my decision easier not to play!
Last edited by The Bear on 13 Jul 2007, 17:43, edited 2 times in total.

Fozzy
Treebeard

Post by Fozzy »

What a 'game' ! A bit rich of them to offer a game with such lengthy/complicated(?) rules after they couldn't interpret or handle a simple transfer rule last year - good luck with that little project :lol:

I wonder in which game a certain Mr Goldsmith is going to place his tent this season then? :wink:

The Bear
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Would be alot better but for Andy L & E !

Post by The Bear »

I wonder in which game a certain Mr Goldsmith is going to place his tent this season then? :wink:[/quote]

Where most people are going - The Mirror 8-)

brogie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by brogie »

I wonder if this approach is purely down to the changes in gambling legislation the telegraph keep kelling us about.

No entry free, no cash prize, ... they seem to be trying to prove this competition is covered by the new Act

Is this new Act ruining FF :?:

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

I've just had a quick read of the rules and the scoring system sounds terrible. I really can't see many people signing up for this. Last season was a joke and this new game is bizarre :?

Demo
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Demo »

Our works league was based on the Times scoring system last year so we'll be looking at a different game this year. TFF is the stand out but people like the fact that European games also score points. Is the Sun's game the only one to do this? Cheers.

buryboy
Treebeard

Post by buryboy »

what is this all about ?

Got confused about 5% of the way down the rules :lol:

dead parrot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by dead parrot »

there are so many apparent flaws in this game it is difficult to know where to start.

anon6
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: Small Profit

Post by anon6 »

dead parrot wrote:there are so many apparent flaws in this game it is difficult to know where to start.
maybe that's why it's free to play ;-)

Fozzy
Treebeard

Post by Fozzy »

buryboy wrote:what is this all about ?

Got confused about 5% of the way down the rules :lol:
It's a new strategy, confuse the hell for the half a dozen potential participants so they can't complain about the rules :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

it's their best idea ever - no one plays - no work to do, customer complaints down 99%.

still get paid by the morons runing the times/sun too - fantastic result :D :lol:

andy

Sim
Treebeard

Post by Sim »

What a ludicrous game :shock:

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

I mentioned this on the other times thread, but this game is run by an american based company - www.stats.com - who seemed quite efficient on other previous games, but they will be sorely disappointed about this game if they are relying on some sort of commission based payment. Not too different to what happened with the sky/fanball game last season - except even then they put up some prizes.
Last year, a little birdy might (allegedly, even though she doesn't work there anymore) have told me that the times were within a moment of going for a free game last year , yet including a cash prize payout. How different things might have been - anyway, looks like we can say goodbye to the times for a while. what have they been thinking?!

nigel1305
Grumpy Old Hand
FS Record: Never Ever Feel Inferior

Post by nigel1305 »

I have set up a League.. :shock:

Apparently you need to do this to enable you to pick a team :roll:

Fiso Forum

Feel free to Pm me for the password

dead parrot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by dead parrot »

quizking wrote:I mentioned this on the other times thread, but this game is run by an american based company - www.stats.com -
that is certainly consistent with the strange terminology and points scoring system used as if it has been written by an american business analyst who knows absolutely nothing about football in general and the premiership in particular

nigel1305
Grumpy Old Hand
FS Record: Never Ever Feel Inferior

Post by nigel1305 »

This game actually isn't too complicated.

Once you have

read the rules
ranked +500 players
had players allocated to your squad
then managed your squad
then worked out the scoring of ponts via the Rotisserie :shock: system

Very simple. :shock: :wink:

As the website says this game....

will also keep many a manager mesmerised by the many possible routes to future success.

They are even allowing each player to have up to 4 teams. So your 'fun' can be quadrupled.....

However, to play you need to be in a League and to qualify our League will require at least 5 players. We have 3 so far so if you would like to play feel free to join and PM me for the password.

Subject to getting enough players I will set the allocation date for next Sunday 5th August and then that gives all players a week to place their squad into scoring positions before the season starts.

Cocky
Treebeard

Post by Cocky »

good idea but it needs simplyfing a lot.

I still don't fully understand the rules after reading through them!

By the time you've finished explaining the rules and how your team will be picked for you, you could have entered a team into any normal fantasy league!!

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

Post by dazedandconfused »

Cocky wrote:good idea but it needs simplyfing a lot.

I still don't fully understand the rules after reading through them!

By the time you've finished explaining the rules and how your team will be picked for you, you could have entered a team into any normal fantasy league!!
The game itself doesn't need simplifying, as I've said in another thread it's basically a standard roto 5x5 game, 5 defence and 5 attack scoring categories. The descriptions in the rules could be simplified, however. As I'm used to american sports roto games I initially found it awkward getting to grips with the alternative descriptions for waivers, free agents and draft etc.

If anyone needs help, pm me and I'll do my best to lend a hand.

Hopefully this game won't be a 1 off as we are setting up multiple leagues with the added interest of promotion / relegation at stake at the end of the season. An online live draft (player allocation) alternative to the automated draft would also be a great addition next year, it is one of the most enjoyable parts of roto games.

:?

porgey
Red & Blue Braces

Post by porgey »

I love this type of Roto game, but absolutely hate Draft Lists. With a live draft option (or at least an option for league owners/comissioners to allocate players after an in-person draft), this would be fantastic!

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

porgey wrote:I love this type of Roto game, but absolutely hate Draft Lists. With a live draft option (or at least an option for league owners/comissioners to allocate players after an in-person draft), this would be fantastic!
I contacted them to ask this very question and they intend including a live draft option next year :)

Wombles
Cheetah

Live drafts

Post by Wombles »

If they introduce Live drafts for next season that would be fantastic. Must say I like the game. :P

paulks
Red & Blue Braces

Post by paulks »

I personally think this will pose a really interesting challenge, particularly in big leagues.

If you are in a league of 20, that means that 400 players (out of a current player list of 452) are going to be allocated. The nature of the draft system means that you will probably have more players in your squad that you didn;t "want" than those you did.

THis in turn is going to mean that the tactical skills of picking your team for each week are going to be much higher as it will really will be involving the whole Premiership rather than just the usual suspects that would normally be making up a FL team.

I've entered a team in the FISO league and have another one in a 20 team league - looks great.

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

paulks wrote:If you are in a league of 20, that means that 400 players (out of a current player list of 452) are going to be allocated. The nature of the draft system means that you will probably have more players in your squad that you didn;t "want" than those you did.

THis in turn is going to mean that the tactical skills of picking your team for each week are going to be much higher as it will really will be involving the whole Premiership rather than just the usual suspects that would normally be making up a FL team.
If you have chance to play in a 10 or 12 team league as well, I'd be interested to hear your comparison of a small and large team league.

Personally I think in a 20 team league you are missing out on another tactical skill which is the ability to pick up 'out of contract' players as the season progresses.

In Roto Baseball 10 team leagues are generally regarded as the absolute minimum, 12 the most common and 14 a reasonable max. Although 16 is not rare, the 'out of contract' player pool is then so thin that it is next to useless. There are 30 Mlb teams to pick players from.

paulks
Red & Blue Braces

Post by paulks »

The FISO league is a 10 team one so that will provide the contrast with the 20 league one.

The 20 league one has its draft tonight so I am about to find out quite how rubbish my squad will be!

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

paulks wrote:The FISO league is a 10 team one so that will provide the contrast with the 20 league one.

The 20 league one has its draft tonight so I am about to find out quite how rubbish my squad will be!
Good luck :lol:

I've just done an NFL draft and I have no clue what sort of team I've ended up with.

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

paulks wrote:The FISO league is a 10 team one so that will provide the contrast with the 20 league one.

How about some feedback on your team :D

paulks
Red & Blue Braces

Post by paulks »

2nd allocation just finished - my early thoughts:

1) My team in the 10 team league is better than my team in the 20 team league - no surprise there
2) A quick study of the allocation process for both shows a similar order for the players being allocated for the first 100 players or so.
3) I am actually pretty pleased with both teams as there were a few players I picked high up ahead of better known big players and they have made it nicely into my squad.
4) The process has really whetted my appetite for the game - has run well and seems to have created a much more equal league than I have ever been in before for FL purposes.
5) I don't appear to have any Arsenal players so they must have gone somewhere else! But then I don't expect Arsenal to do so welll this year anyway so I am not too concerned about this.
6) Both my teams have Owen, Bale, Alex, Ljungberg, McSheffrey - all players I wanted and ranked high.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Times' Play The Game (PTG)”