A forum for discussion on the Guardian Fantasy Football game
jimmy ching
Dumbledore

The points scoring.

Post by jimmy ching »

Defenders. Davenport 23 Corlukka 22 Wheater 21
DM Fletcher 27 Barry 21 Denilson 17
Mid Arteta Deco 19 Dunn Petrov Nasri 18
For Agbonlahor 29 Ashton 22 K Davies 17.
Goalie Given Freidel 16.
So the Midfielders and goalies score low in the 1st week.
Not one of the Big 4 in the defence, interesting.
Barry looks tempting when he starts taking penalties.

derbynige
Grumpy Old Ram
FS Record: 5th in25s league 10/11

Re: The points scoring.

Post by derbynige »

barry did ok :D really liking this game :D

mongoose
FISOhead

Post by mongoose »

Agree that this game offers something different, much like the old Guardian Fantasy Chairman game.

This game is my main focus this season. So hoping my strategy works! Interesting to now see other teams and how they shape up.

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier League Champion 2014-15

Post by The Saint »

Decided on Carrick over Barry because of the transfer uncertainty :evil: At least there are plenty of subs in this game.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Subbed Carrick out yesterday after he got subbed. Out for three weeks I hear. Price changes don't take effect until sept 11th, so I might bring in Abon before the price goes up.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

I also subbed carrick yesterday along with adebayor. When looking at my squad today i noticed that my points total had dropped by 2 :shock: Has anyone else suffered this loss or know the reason why it occured :? :?

:oops: :oops: my mistake, looking at two different teams. :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Giggs11 on 19 Aug 2008, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

darkspidey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by darkspidey »

Tell you what guys I think we are on for winning this, if we work together. Im in 886 place with a very average score. :D

flare2
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consistently satisfactory

Post by flare2 »

this game makes so sense, Lescott gets 15 points for clearances and only -3 for conceeding 3 goals. It is very random.

Anyone know how many have entered this, 1,500th seems quite high for a very poor team.

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

flare2 wrote:this game makes so sense, Lescott gets 15 points for clearances and only -3 for conceeding 3 goals. It is very random.

Anyone know how many have entered this, 1,500th seems quite high for a very poor team.
81,515 teams registered

Not random just different.

redcanuck
FISOhead
FS Record: Sky sports Fantasy league Winner 2008-09

Post by redcanuck »

First time I have played this game. It's different than the only other one I have played the Fantasy premier League.

If one of your players does not play, why don't they bring in a player from your bench. I had Tevez who didn't play and Chimbonda on my bench who scored 20 points.

I ended up with 140 points and am in 953rd place but with those 20 points I would have been in 46th place with 160 points.

I obviously need some tips on this game. I played A. Cole and Bosingwa and end up with 23 points for them, but had Chimbonda and Pantsil on my bench who had 36 points between them.

Darkspidey maybe right and we could win this, if those of us that have not played this before could get some advice.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Am in 122, picked pompey defenders as thought they would be doing a fair bit of defending, sadly did not expect them to concede quite so many :D

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

redcanuck wrote:First time I have played this game. It's different than the only other one I have played the Fantasy premier League.

If one of your players does not play, why don't they bring in a player from your bench. I had Tevez who didn't play and Chimbonda on my bench who scored 20 points.

I ended up with 140 points and am in 953rd place but with those 20 points I would have been in 46th place with 160 points.

I obviously need some tips on this game. I played A. Cole and Bosingwa and end up with 23 points for them, but had Chimbonda and Pantsil on my bench who had 36 points between them.

Darkspidey maybe right and we could win this, if those of us that have not played this before could get some advice.
Noone has played this before as it is a new game so we are all on a steep learning curve. The operation of the price changes (which starts next month) is still an unknown. Should be fun though.

redcanuck
FISOhead

Post by redcanuck »

The Saint wrote:
redcanuck wrote:First time I have played this game. It's different than the only other one I have played the Fantasy premier League.

Noone has played this before as it is a new game so we are all on a steep learning curve. The operation of the price changes (which starts next month) is still an unknown. Should be fun though.
Didn't realise it was a new game, but just seems odd to me that a defensive pairing of Chimbonda and Pantsil would do better than Cole and Bosingwa.

With Chimbonda playing Liverpool and Pantsil against Arsenal, it's highly likely that they will have more defending to do than Cole and Bosingwa against Wigan, so they could score more points again next week.

derbynige
Grumpy Old Ram
FS Record: 5th in25s league 10/11

Post by derbynige »

stoke defence has got to be the way to go :D

FlaminGalah
FISOhead

Post by FlaminGalah »

that may not be as ridiculous as it first sounds DN....

Dan Kennett
Kevin and Perry

Post by Dan Kennett »

I'm with Mongoose. I used to love the old Fantasy Chairman game and this could well be my main focus for the season.
Not sure what everyone else thinks though but the Grauniad might be regretting the 1 point for a clearance rule...even after one week it looks like 1 point for every 2 clearances might've been better!
One of the real successes of FPL is that apart from the odd Ronaldo scenario, the points are usually fairly evenly spread across positions. Saying that, I think the Grauniad game is going to stop the majority of teams including the same 5 or 6 players.
And it's nice that the top scorers might be from teams in the bottom half of the premier league.

Hamlet
Treebeard

Post by Hamlet »

Just realised you can join more than one 'mini-league', so have joined the Fiso one as well. Mediocre start on 127pts.

I really like the look of this game overall. The emphasis on clearances is going to make it very defender-orientated, and it may well lead to the interesting scenario where players you would never normally go near in a different game end up the most expensive. As noted earlier in the thread, it looks like the best scorers are going to be central defenders playing for 'lesser' teams who like to punt the ball out of defence. But hey, makes it different.

redcanuck
FISOhead

Post by redcanuck »

It is certainly a defender-orientated game with the emphasis on clearances. The expensive offensive defenders don't seem value for money. I don't want to make any rash transfers yet, but may change my starters to bring in Chimbonda and Pantsil, who cost half of what it cost for Cole and Bosingwa. But if the points are going to awarded like they did in Week 1, I may have to consider trading Cole and Bosingwa for cheaper defenders from teams that have to defend a lot.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

redcanuck wrote: I may have to consider trading Cole and Bosingwa for cheaper defenders from teams that have to defend a lot.
Not sure if that is right totally, picked Sol and Johnson as assumed they would be defending a lot they got 7, 11 other 2 Lescott and Sagna they got 17, 16, now Everton only conceded 1 less than Pompey, it was clearance's that scored well.
Not quite sure what to do this week as Pompey have United so assume again be doing a lot of defending or do I bring in other players, not quite worked this out yet.

Hamlet
Treebeard

Post by Hamlet »

The relative lack of Pompey defender points certainly disputes the idea that the most important criteria is to get defenders playing against the top teams. My thinking was that their lack of clearances was perhaps down to the fact that Chelsea don't really just lump the ball forward that much. So another factor to consider would be trying to second-guess the type of game each defender will be playing in.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

You have 5 transfer to use each month, so can see little point in using your bench at all, or have I missed something.
This is going to be my main game this season, main reason is as its so different, might just stand a chance.
Be interested to know others thought on best way to go, at moment am using a 4-1-3-2 formation with 2 of defenders hopefully attacking type (crosses seem to score well) with other 2 likely to get goals from set pieces, with keeper who is a fair shot stopper.
2 mid players creative type and a hopefully scoring 1 with 2 expensive strikers.

redcanuck
FISOhead

Post by redcanuck »

My formation is a strange one. I am playing 3-2-3-2. I used two holding midfielders, Denilson and Barry and they both scored pretty well. I finished with 140 points and that is with my two strikers ,Tevez not playing at all and Van Persie coming on late as a sub. Plus having two defenders on my bench score 13 more points than two defenders I played.

I figure if everyone had played and I had gotten the right defenders out there, I might have topped the table. So hopefully this week I will get the right combination out there.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

mikeg13 wrote:You have 5 transfer to use each month, so can see little point in using your bench at all, or have I missed something.
This is going to be my main game this season, main reason is as its so different, might just stand a chance.
Be interested to know others thought on best way to go, at moment am using a 4-1-3-2 formation with 2 of defenders hopefully attacking type (crosses seem to score well) with other 2 likely to get goals from set pieces, with keeper who is a fair shot stopper.
2 mid players creative type and a hopefully scoring 1 with 2 expensive strikers.
Subbing from the bench doesn't cost you a transfer, but I agree with Having 5 Transfers a month it does seem to make the subbing less of an appeal. However using the subs and a couple of transfers you can completely change your team for a game week, without it wiping out your transfer allocation.

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

It occurrs to me that the main purpose of the sub bench seems to be to enable the changes in formation.

Hamlet
Treebeard

Post by Hamlet »

While the subs bench does seem largely superfluous, one advantage of using the subs will only become apparent when the price changes kick in:

Say you picked up a player cheaply (who has since become expensive), and he gets injured for 3 weeks; if you sub him out you won't lose the price you paid, whereas if you transfer him out and back in you'll have to pay the new premium price.

This of course depends on how big the price fluctuations are, but might become important (if I've interpreted it correctly).

The Saint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Saint »

Hamlet wrote:While the subs bench does seem largely superfluous, one advantage of using the subs will only become apparent when the price changes kick in:

Say you picked up a player cheaply (who has since become expensive), and he gets injured for 3 weeks; if you sub him out you won't lose the price you paid, whereas if you transfer him out and back in you'll have to pay the new premium price.

This of course depends on how big the price fluctuations are, but might become important (if I've interpreted it correctly).
You get to keep your profits in this game :)

'Each player has been given a value. The total value of your initial squad must not exceed £100 million.

On 11th September 2008, players' values will begin to fluctuate depending on their popularity. These fluctuations will also influence your available budget to spend on new players.

For example, if you select Steven Gerrard for £9m, and he goes on to be valued at £9.5m, your budget will increase by £0.5m. You can use this to spend on new players. Similarly, you can also lose budget if your players decrease in value.'

stanley smith
Red & Blue Braces

Post by stanley smith »

The Saint wrote:
Hamlet wrote:While the subs bench does seem largely superfluous, one advantage of using the subs will only become apparent when the price changes kick in:

You get to keep your profits in this game :)

'Each player has been given a value. The total value of your initial squad must not exceed £100 million.

On 11th September 2008, players' values will begin to fluctuate depending on their popularity. These fluctuations will also influence your available budget to spend on new players.

For example, if you select Steven Gerrard for £9m, and he goes on to be valued at £9.5m, your budget will increase by £0.5m. You can use this to spend on new players. Similarly, you can also lose budget if your players decrease in value.'

Seems that a reasonable tactic will be to transfer in a lot of overperforming cheapos before the price changes kick in?

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

stanley smith wrote:

Seems that a reasonable tactic will be to transfer in a lot of overperforming cheapos before the price changes kick in?
Used a couple of my transfers today for that, interesting thought that, must admit had not been in my plans.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Are FPL and CKYI worth following for the trends in price rises?

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

jimmy ching wrote:Are FPL and CKYI worth following for the trends in price rises?

Not really.

If you are aware of the performances of players in general, that'll give you as much head start in guessing where prices will change.

Doesn't take a genius to guess Agbonlahor and Ashton would be popular picks this week in FPL/CYKI.

I think the specifics of this game mean that only where a players points really show a increase (probably defender's points as they'll be harder to spot on pure results) will you get a clue as to whether a price for a particular player in this game will rise.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Guardian Fantasy Football (Ceased)”