To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

League look and feel - feedback much appreciated please.

A forum for discussion on the Combined FPL/TFF Side Competition run by DixieDean
DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

League look and feel - feedback much appreciated please.

Post by DixieDean »

This is going to sound over the top and anal but I really want to get this right because the way I display the respective leagues are based around my screenshots and not the websites that FPL and TFF host. You'll see them anyway because you're taking part but I really want to make what I post some way near to being visually appealing to you. It's the creative idiot with a design background in me that's making this happen. Sorry. :wink: :oops:

Now clearly I have a slight advantage in that I can vary or adjust what I post based on your feedback... Which is nice. So, if I put my thoughts on the table I hope you can take the time to get back to me on here and help me produce a sidegame you want to play this season and hopefully many more seasons after that.

So far I've worked out a colour scheme that seems to work and some of you say looks good so that's cool. This also now includes a key that shows your relative experience in each game.

I've also had an idea to show each league's total score and position overall so we can see if we really are any good as a group!!! :wink:

I'm sure there are opinions you guys might have about how this all looks (I'll attach a screenshot in this post) and , as I said I really would appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Cheers

Rich

The FPL league as it looks now - The TFF and Combined would look pretty much the same.
feedback.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Synyster
FISO Knight
FS Record: Won a few prizes here and there..

Re: League look and feel - feedback much appreciated please.

Post by Synyster »

To be totally honest mate the screenshot looks great, colours and all. Including the league position is a touch aswell, unless of course it's really bad. :lol:

How often are you planning to update the thread with the league table etc. once a week or every set of matches ? Also, will there be a banter thread, seeing as you have your own forum section for the FPL/TFF combined league :?:

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

TheCharltonFan wrote:To be totally honest mate the screenshot looks great, colours and all. Including the league position is a touch aswell, unless of course it's really bad. :lol:

How often are you planning to update the thread with the league table etc. once a week or every set of matches ? Also, will there be a banter thread, seeing as you have your own forum section for the FPL/TFF combined league :?:
Thanks for the feedback TCF... There's some quality players that have joined up so I'm hoping the top 5 in each comp will do us proud over the season.

I hadn't really thought about a banter thread but I or someone else can kick that off as the season starts. I'll post the leagues once a week after all matches have been played and TFF and FPL have updated their scores. That's what I'm governed by to be honest - and the reason I wanted 2 dedicated leagues. I'd reckon that on most weeks a Wednesday or Thursday night will be the time I update it all on here.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

Like the look of that as it is DD. Glad to see side games have hit TFF - just hoping we get some nice discount codes now too :D

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Mystery wrote:Like the look of that as it is DD. Glad to see side games have hit TFF - just hoping we get some nice discount codes now too :D
thelip and his cup of eggs might want to pull you up on the TFF sidegame comment but hey... I agree about some kind of discount. :wink:

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

...and I'm adding another side game :lol:

DD you're just showing off now! Looks really good.

Need these 8-) though .

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

DixieDean wrote:
Mystery wrote:Like the look of that as it is DD. Glad to see side games have hit TFF - just hoping we get some nice discount codes now too :D
thelip and his cup of eggs might want to pull you up on the TFF sidegame comment but hey... I agree about some kind of discount. :wink:
Yeah yeah I know - thelip has given us the first and the best. Its just nice to see more.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Latic wrote:...and I'm adding another side game :lol:
You are indeed... 8-) The thing is that your rules amount to some kind of legal document - it's quite a body of work to be quite frank - but my rules are roughly 17 well worded lines of perfected English... :P :P :wink:

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Simple rules suit my brain best
ImagePot as many balls as you can :P

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Exactly!!! :lol: :wink:

Latic
FISO Knight

Post by Latic »

DixieDean wrote:
You are indeed... 8-) The thing is that your rules amount to some kind of legal document - it's quite a body of work to be quite frank - but my rules are roughly 17 well worded lines of perfected English... :P :P :wink:
:lol:
The Latic supercomputer is translating it into several different languages as we speak

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Latic wrote:
DixieDean wrote:
:lol:
The Latic supercomputer is translating it into several different languages as we speak
That 17 lines figure includes carriage returns BTW... :lol: :wink:

Latic
FISO Knight

Post by Latic »

:lol: ....and the blob of tippex

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

I think we'll need a column for the TFF team name as well won't we?

Maybe centre the value columns and Bold the names.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Spencer4 wrote:I think we'll need a column for the TFF team name as well won't we?

Maybe centre the value columns and Bold the names.
There's a separate Table for TFF.
The value column will eventually get to 4 figures so that's fine.
I might try bold names but it may be a bit too much visually.

:D

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Not part of this - don't play TFF - but have a bit experience in this area so thought I'd pass on a tip I find useful

Looks good DD - but one thing I would do to make it look even better is to turn off gridlines and just use cell borders if you want them - I'm assuming this is in Excel ?

If so (on a PC) go to Tools - Options and then on the View tab uncheck the Gridlines box in Window Options. Not sure where this would be on a MAC but it should be similar. If you don't like how that then looks you can always turn them back on again :)

Best of luck for the season - great concept.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I'm not in this game as I don't play EPL. My only claim is I helped with the spreadsheet!.
Do you think it would be a nice touch to have a column with a little arrow showing wether people moved up or down that week?

Having said that I'm not too sure how it would be done :oops:

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Cheers for the new feedback guys... much appreciated...

RomynPG
I've tried it with the gridlines off and didn't like it but I might play around a bit with borders as you suggest.

Surprised
If you can find a way to edit your script and make it work then I'm all for that idea!!! :wink:

Thanks again

Rich

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

I know you can do conditional formatting, so if a cell is a certain value another cell returns X (or an arrow in your case) forgot how to do it though (and I suppose it would only work if you had a "this week rank" column and "last week's rank" column....

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

barry wrote:I know you can do conditional formatting, so if a cell is a certain value another cell returns X (or an arrow in your case) forgot how to do it though (and I suppose it would only work if you had a "this week rank" column and "last week's rank" column....
I'm not a Excel expert but have dabbled for the FPL side-game cause and the most complex of those is the H2H stuff which does include rise/fall arrows in the overall league table - and that did require "this week rank" column and "last week's rank" column type of thing (well in principle anyway)

Last years H2H thread shows all the output from that spreadsheet - all of which was completely automated - so it is possible to do - but it's really down to dev time vs manual update as to whether it's worth the time to code it.

DD - how can you like having gridlines on :shock: :wink:

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

RomynPG wrote:DD - how can you like having gridlines on :shock: :wink:
I like faint grey lines... :wink:

I played around earlier and reckon i can make it look better without them but I'm off to bed now so will spend more time on it later.

Re. the up/down stuff. I'm not sure it will fit in with how I want to do this... I want it pretty simple to be honest so that I know how it all works. Maybe as I learn more and the league works on a week by week basis, it could be added in during the season?

Cheers

Rich

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

OK guys... I've had another play around with how this looks (sad git that I am) and would appreciate any further feedback.

I'm also thinking about adding your overall league position for each game into the screenshots but I will wait until the season starts to see if I can copy and paste the numbers easily.

Thanks in advance

Rich

TFF:
TFF Wk1.png
FPL:
FPL Wk1.png
Combined:
Combo Wk1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Very nice, except I should be a bit higher in TFF and much much MUCH lower in FPL :lol:

KeviFisher
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: No major prizes, but good record in Leagues at work

Post by KeviFisher »

As a veteran of running an office league in the past my advice would be to keep it simple until you get a feel for how much time it takes to update each week.

I got a bit too adventerous a couple of years ago with excel spreadsheets and created extras like a separate head to head league 3pts for a win, 1 for a draw etc, knock out cup and plate competition fortunately with wimbledon style fixed draw as well as other prizes for biggest margin of victory, most points in a week. longest winning streak etc. in an attempt to keep everyone interested over the whole season.

My efforts were appreciated but it took a lot more time than I had anticipated, especially when I came back from 2 weeks holiday abroad!

What you've done so far looks excellent and doesn't appear as though it will be too onerous to maintain either.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Combined FPL/TFF Side Competition”