To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How many Fisoers have Sky TV (updated poll)

A forum for general Fantasy Sports notices & comment that don't relate specifically to one sport or one fantasy sports game.

Do you have Sky TV?

Yes, but only the budget package
5%
Yes, the Sky Sports package
21%
Yes, the Sky Sports plus movies package
43%
No
32%

Total votes: 63

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

How many Fisoers have Sky TV (updated poll)

Post by Billy Whiz »

[Following Bramernic and others' posts below I've resubmitted the poll with extra options. :idea: This means the simple Yes/No poll will have been wiped, so if you voted on that original one you'll have to vote again. Sorry!]

I tend to assume that since most of us are armchair sports fans (that's not to say we don't go to matches too), then most of us are signed up to Sky. But I might be wrong, so a quick poll is attached.

Meanwhile is anyone thinking of ditching Sky as a way of saving money in these tough times? Or would Sky be the last luxury you'd give up?

And if you don't have it, is it because you can't afford it, or you could afford it but you think it's a waste of money, or you just hate Rupert Murdoch?

PS If you don't have Sky but do have Virgin or some such, then just vote No.

Personally I'll be hanging onto Sky for as long as possible. It's worth it for the films alone, never mind the sports channels. And Sky+ is the best thing since sliced bread.

Bramernic
Dumbledore
FS Record: Plenty of super league prizes, nothing from the organisers.

Re: How many Fisoers have Sky TV?

Post by Bramernic »

Do I have Sky? Yes
Do I have SkySports? No

Which poll option would you class that as?

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

Billy, any chance you could amend the poll so we get an idea of which 'packages' people have?...

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

I have Teleclub :wink: :wink: :wink: and they are showing EPL games too, at the same time as the Bundesliga...
So I have to switch channels all the time.... :x :x

URkiddingMe
Dumblebunny

Post by URkiddingMe »

don't have Sky, have Freeview. i don't watch much tv anyway and don't have the time either. i prefer to surf the web in my spare time and to watch iPlayer. i go to the pub if i really wanted to watch a match.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

have sky tv, don't have the sports or the movies.

moderator edit: What madness is this!!!????

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Malrom wrote:I have Teleclub
What's that?

I have everything plus Setanta

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

Just had my Sky HD installed, so nope, I'm not cutting back. Though it encourages me to stay in, thus saving money. Sort of :?

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Don't have Sky - just don't have the time to do it justice - tend to listen to most sport on radio 5 - just so I can do something at the same time.

150yds from a sky-ed up pub - so if there's a game I really want to watch I head there.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

barry wrote:have sky tv, don't have the sports or the movies.

moderator edit: What madness is this!!!????
to the mod....
simple fact really - can't justify the extra cash on it.

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Re: How many Fisoers have Sky TV (updated poll)

Post by el_pappje »

I'm on Virgin and don't pay for any of the Sky stuff. Setanta is thrown in free on my package so I get US golf and some Prem games. That'll do me for now, although if I got a good enough deal I would swap. But I still wouldn't get Sports as a matter of course, nor the Movie package - it's hard enough to get through various DVD boxsets we have without adding on a mass of films to watch.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Following Bramernic and Razor's posts I've resubmitted the poll with extra options. :idea: This means the simple Yes/No poll will have been wiped, so if you voted on that original one you'll have to vote again. Sorry!

I haven't put HD in the poll but if you do have HD I'd be interested to hear if you think it's worth the money.

This is basically a Sky only poll but if you have any other packages or providers feel free to let us know what you think of them.

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

Following Billy's post, while Sky has many attractions, I'm kind of in a Catch-22 at the moment. Virgin have a V+ box equivalent to Sky+ (although apparently not as intuitive) which also doubles as an HD box. I don't have this, only having the standard Virgin box. But Virgin barely carry any interesting HD channels currently so it seems a false economy. Sky are clearly incentivising consumers to go for HD over normal Sky+ currently, but if I don't plan on subbing Sports &/or Movies it seems a bit pointless. And I wouldn't be planning on multi-rooming so I don't see the point in getting Sky+now and then an HD box later.

So basically I have stayed with Virgin for ages now despite looking into switching umpteen times.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

Billy Whiz wrote:
I haven't put HD in the poll but if you do have HD I'd be interested to hear if you think it's worth the money.
The HD part cost 30p a day over what I had before so I'm obviously going to say it's worth it, having the sport/film package anyway.

But, if you're talking about the cost of a new TV plus the extras, it is more of a consideration.

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

Groomyd wrote:
Malrom wrote:I have Teleclub
What's that?

I have everything plus Setanta
Teleclub is Pay TV in Switzerland, 3 channels are sports channel, mostly showing football, motorsports, golf

jeffersdn
Grumpy Old Pig

Post by jeffersdn »

Have the full monty package at the moment, but I am getting rid of the whole thing and just having freeview soon.
Changing jobs soon and having to take a drop in wages, so I just can't justify the luxury of sky tv. :(

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

jeffersdn wrote:Have the full monty package at the moment, but I am getting rid of the whole thing and just having freeview soon.
Changing jobs soon and having to take a drop in wages, so I just can't justify the luxury of sky tv. :(
:(

what are you really going to miss though?

jeffersdn
Grumpy Old Pig

Post by jeffersdn »

To be honest the kids watch the films and all the kids stuff, Hannah Montana, Spongebob etc. The wife watches all the makeover programs etc.

Me, I usually watch most of the stuff that is on BBc, ITV and channel 4 except for a few wildlife programs that are in the documentary channels. The only sports stuff that I will miss is the Cricket really.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

jeffersdn wrote:To be honest the kids watch the films and all the kids stuff, Hannah Montana, Spongebob etc. The wife watches all the makeover programs etc.

Me, I usually watch most of the stuff that is on BBc, ITV and channel 4 except for a few wildlife programs that are in the documentary channels. The only sports stuff that I will miss is the Cricket really.
I'd imagine you'll get all the makeover type programmes via freeview, plus a fair few childrens channels (kids adapt quickly anyway) a good time to get them into films :D there will be websites you can utilise to access the cricket I'm sure :wink: , and BBC, ITV and Ch4 all have catchup options on t'internet too.

tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Post by tedbull »

Malrom wrote:Teleclub is Pay TV in Switzerland, 3 channels are sports channel, mostly showing football, motorsports, golf
I have Foxtel (Australia) with everything but the movies and Setanta. To be honest, I couldn't think of a time when I'm likely to have a spare 2 hours to watch a movie, and we get every Premiership game (all at the same time via the red button) on Fox Sports - Setanta only had the UEFA Cup and FA Cup.

The internet sports coverage has got to the point that I'd happily quit Pay TV if it was just up to me... but my oldest son loves Disney Playhouse and my wife is at home with the kids and needs her daily dose of trashy American TV. Apparently.

WHATEVER
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Under construction

Post by WHATEVER »

I have Freeview+

I could afford Sky but cannot justify the cost.

The shows I really want to see I buy on DVD, watch once then sell on Ebay.

The sport I really want to see I go to the pub - mainly I listen to the radio instead.

The films I really want to see I go to the cinema (on Orange Wednesday), hire/buy/borrow the DVD or wait for them to hit freeview.

Overall I'm quids in. :)

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

el_pappje wrote:Virgin have a V+ box equivalent to Sky+ (although apparently not as intuitive) which also doubles as an HD box.
Having used my in-law's Sky HD setup I would thoroughly disagree with the notion that it's better than Virgin (even without the HD). Sky's non-HD version (TV menu etc) is dire and the "+" option is the inbred cousin of Virgin's offering. On a note about HD in general, I watched a game in HD but aside from seeing just how ugly some PL players are (more so than I ever imagined!) I don't think I'd pay for it.

polarbear
The Blobmeister: Wales 2015
FS Record: 2010 Scottish FISO Open Golf Champion
4th Place overall OFL Fantasy Golf 2015
Sams FISO Golf Series Winner 2016 & 2019

Post by polarbear »

I got the sports package recently, but only because I can watch everything on my laptop. (Can't get on the tele with my son and wife on the xbox or watching the jewellery channel! :roll: )

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

To borrow from Bram's post

Do I have Sky? No
Do I have SkySports 1& 2? Yes, via BT vision

Which poll option would you class that as?

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Have it at the moment but will be binning sports as I just won't have the time to watch it!

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Virginmedia + Sky Sports

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “General Fantasy Sports (FS) Notices & Comments”