To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2016/17 season in doubt?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games offered by Fantasy League Limited (OFL).
Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

2016/17 season in doubt?

Post by Britinus »

Hope not but with FGL not being run this year I can see this one being laid off too. Have played it for many years, probably and judging by the lack of posts not enough play it to keep it going. Such a shame but let's hope I'm wrong .

coleridge
Grumpy Old Man

Re: 2016/17 season in doubt?

Post by coleridge »

while on the phone to them a couple of weeks ago I inquired about next season.
At that point no decision had been made, which I thought sounded rather ominous.
I hope for the best, but fear the worst.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Surely their main market is "client" games and private auction leagues, as opposed to the main OFL Classic which I don't think was ever that big compared to some of the other major ones?

I've always liked the simplicity of the scoring system compared to anything else. They ran the Times game for a number of years didn't they, before that paper changed to its own, less successful, format (and I don't think has run a game at all for the last few years?) Not sure who else they supply now but I've seen a number of games based around their scoring system over the years, hope it keeps going in some form.

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

Just in case others didn't get the e-mail.
Such a shame, I really have enjoyed this fantasy one for so many years.

e-mail just rec'd....
I wanted to contact everyone playing our games with an important update.

The end of this season marks 25 years of Fantasy League, and also 25 years for me running the business. It's been quite a journey from a paper-based game started on a shoestring to a concept that has become part of the fabric of football and other sports for millions of fans.

After much soul searching, I've decided its time for me to move on to new challenges and for Fantasy League to find a new owner. As you can imagine, it's not been an easy decision, considering our fantastically loyal audience, the strength of our games and brand, as well as the 25 years of hard work the team and I have put into making Fantasy League. But in the right hands, I'm confident it can go from strength to strength.

The potential acquirer could come from a number of angles; a business with an existing audience that wants to get into a new area, a bookmaker or gaming business. It may be an individual or investors who are looking to develop an established business in an exciting sector.

I very much hope we can find the right partner so that you and the rest of our valued audience can continue to enjoy it for many many more years to come.

Watch this space.

Warm wishes,

Andrew Wainstein
Fantasy League Founder and Managing Director

Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 8th TFFO 2008/09

Post by Northernmonkey »

Explains the uncertainty at least.

Clearly no takers yet to buy it, whether any sale could all go through ready for picking sides in July seems a bit optimistic. Unless the game was kept as it is (yes please!) and little web development was needed.

Fingers crossed it gets snapped up soon.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The evil empire of FPL swallows up another competitor it seems... can the other games form a rebel alliance and use the force to defeat them? :twisted:

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

Good luck Andrew!

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

I haven't played any OFL game for a few years but it's their fault I'm here through their tenure of the TFF game back in the neolithic age. The highlight of several seasons was the live auction held in a local pub (including one year one player went to the wrong pub called Prince of Wales) or even in the sun in our back garden with two crates of lager nearby.

In case he's watching thanks for the fun Andrew and the team too.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, fantasy football as it should be... goals, assists, clean sheets, know your score instantly. He scored, he scored, he set one up... that'll be eight points then. None of this price change and wildcard crap, or subjective ratings and the likes. Obviously the masses don't agree, or is it just the marketing machine of FPL that's given it such a dominant position and put most other providers on the ropes?

The Times should buy OFL and get back in the market with the same game they had 15 years ago...

wld
Red & Blue Braces

Post by wld »

There won't be a Euros game this season either. It was nice whilst it lasted.

Biscuitman
FISOhead
FS Record: 10th TFFO 2009/10

Post by Biscuitman »

Wonder how many teams it would have to have entered for it to turn any kind of profit, or whether it is essentially an advertising platform at best? From a business perspective, of course. I can see it might have some "hobby" attractions too, but requires a lot of work.

mharv
Treebeard

Post by mharv »

Signs of life, have been checking back to see if there any changes on the site; up until yesterday all player stats were unchanged form last season, but as of today players from 'villa, norwich and newcastle have been removed from the player list. It's a start.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Just had confirmation that OFL have teamed up with Squawka.com and the game will run again this year.

Same format as usual but going forward, they're looking for ideas to improve the game.

Great news. :)

Britinus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Britinus »

That is great news.

topspur
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: NCG FISO winner and 4th overall 2012. Brassic Cup 2014, Early Predictions cup 2014 RTD 2014 winner+4th overall British Bulldog winner 2015 FISO 500 2014 Irish Times 6 Nations winner 2016. Last Man Standing 2016 2021 & 2023

Post by topspur »

Squawka seem genuinely interested - we have accepted their offer to run our auction at their offices in 9 days time - laying on food & beer.
Our league has been going more than 20 years and they say they want feedback from us.

Big Beast
Treebeard

Re: 2016/17 season up and running!

Post by Big Beast »

It's very much alive and kicking. Can't wait to play!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Original Fantasy League (OFL) Football games”