To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

VAR bottling decisions

A forum for news and discussion on SkySports Fantasy Football. Both Football365 and TeamTalk used to feed into this game.
itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

VAR bottling decisions

Post by itslikebrandnew »

I went in too heavily relying on penalty takers so perhaps i'm a little biased. But i've seen numerous calls by refs saying no penalty and when it goes to VAR they seem to not want to overturn the refs decision even though there is clear evidence to overturn the decision.

Anyone else disappointed with the quality of VAR decisions ?

ALAN1289
Treebeard

Re: VAR bottling decisions

Post by ALAN1289 »

Yip the refs are scared to make the big calls. I thought spurs were denied a clear penalty today

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Just another layer of decision open to be corrupted by whoever for whatever gains. Someone will make millions, someone else will go to prison, eventually, but irreparable damage will be done by the time its exposed.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Thanks for the replies. Part of the reason for bringing it up is due to the overhaul coming soon and i was thinking about penalty taking mids, and how i'm going to avoid the temptation of them.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

In the spirit of confusion: VAR seems to be stopping more goals than it "creates" and there are fook all CS's going around...

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

I agree and if it continues it's making premium defenders too costly. Liverpool/Man City premium defs must have about 15-20 clean sheets priced into their value. They will be lucky to get half that at this rate.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Not convinced by the logic on this thread.

VAR has yet (I think) to overturn a single penalty decision - either way (reasoning being they don't want to overrule refs unless it is an absolute howler). The (lack of) one today saved a CS for Newcastle. So that is zero effect on (FF) scores.

Liverpool haven't been affected by any VAR decisions, either way, either.

Poor defending and more focus on attacking has generally been the reason for less CSs.

Stoneybatter
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd & 4th YTM (05/06), 6th YTM (07/08) Won Feb monthly YTM (08/09) Won Dreamteam Grand Finale (2011) 12th Dreamteam Euros (2012) 20th Dreamteam (12/13) Won Dreamteam Nov monthly (13/14) Won Dreamteam Weekly (14/15)

Post by Stoneybatter »

Forget about trying to predict anything regarding VAR and how it will affect the game. There were two stone cold penalties not awarded today after the Var review. While there might be an excuse for the game refs not awarding them, there is absolutely no excuse for the VAR refs not overturning the decisions after seeing the slow mo replays. Trying to predict anything based on this bolloxology of a system is pointless.

Art Vandelay
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: not bad

Post by Art Vandelay »

When it comes to overruling the ref it's clear they've decided to intervene only in the most extreme situations which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that when it comes to 'factual' decisions they're happy to intervene over the tiniest thing eg. the ball accidentally brushing someones arm, or a toe or even armpit, supposedly being a millimeter offside.

This means that VAR is stepping in almost exclusively over things people didn't care about ruling out goals 99% of people were happy to see stand while the things people do care about are just left to the ref. Maybe things will balance out a bit more as the season goes on :? That said, I hate everything about VAR and hope eventually it will all just go away.

On the fantasy football ramifications I really don't see a negative impact on top defenders at all. I'll still be going with premium defenders, although I am a little bit tempted by 433 now although that's more down to Pukki than VAR.....

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

murf the logic on this thread was that it affected me today. i thought city should of had a penalty. it may of cost aguero a hat-trick. i didn't see the spurs game but i'm told they should of had a penalty which could of cost kane some points.

blahblah mentioned fook all clean sheets going around but not due to var and that's why i mentioned premium defs. that seems more to do with the new playing out from the back rule and if there are less clean sheets around surely that makes premium defs less attractive. for me before the season started van dijk was one of the first players on my team sheet. i'm now considering dropping him just because i think his price reflects 15-20 clean sheets and i can't see liverpool getting that

back to var and pens it does feel like refs/var have been told not to give them unless they are absolutely sure and instead of there being more pens there might be less this season. Players like Siggy and Milivojevic i'm not even considering now for my overhaul team.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

If VAR doesn't do anything it doesn't affect you!

Poor reffing cost you the points.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Yes it does, if VAR doesnt do the job that it was bought in to do which was to correct wrong decisions then it affects me.

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

Two clear cut penalties yesterday and ones that should have been given to Chelsea dn man Utd on Saturday. :shock: . I haven't seen a single ref use the screen at the side of the pitch yet either. They are simply not doing VAR correctly. The people back at VAR are supposed to be advising the ref to have a second look at these incidents and it's just not happening.

Also why can't it be used when players are booked for diving, when the replay shows they were actually tripped (it would just take a quick word in their ear).

I think it is pretty clear that the refs, when they got together pre season to discuss this, have made an agreement between them to not call each other decisions wrong, only in extreme cases. Like some unwritten code. Almost mafia like.

Maybe they should have a completely independent team to punish refs if they don't do it right, might sort them out.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Are they? Do we have screens at the side of the pitch?

At the moment the biggest issue is the majority of pundits not understanding how VAR is being used... and then relaying that misinformation to us.

reds363
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

Rick wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 08:34 Two clear cut penalties yesterday and ones that should have been given to Chelsea dn man Utd on Saturday. :shock: . I haven't seen a single ref use the screen at the side of the pitch yet either. They are simply not doing VAR correctly. The people back at VAR are supposed to be advising the ref to have a second look at these incidents and it's just not happening.

I think it is pretty clear that the refs, when they got together pre season to discuss this, have made an agreement between them to not call each other decisions wrong, only in extreme cases.
I think this is the case, and I largely prefer it. We've seen in world cups and European games, the off-field VAR getting on-field ref to go check the screen for 50-50 cases. That just causes delay and the ref agonises over it for 2 minutes and comes up with a new decision which 50% of the fans still disagree with. Those debatable calls should never be referred. I think ones that look, say, 80%+ wrong should be referred for a sideline video review, but the PL seem to have set the bar even higher so far this season. (Fwiw I'd put the David Silva one yesterday at 90% and the Kane one at 60% :) )

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

Some more BS VAR decisions or lack of today. Alot of the panel on bt sports were ranting. Last week it was just Robbie Savage now everyone is getting annoyed. Even the guest ref who has been so biased the last few weeks backing it couldn't defend it this time.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

For anyone to watch the Tielemans tackle and not come to the conclusion that it was a red card is unbelievable.

The disallowed Villa goal could cost them their Premier League place come May. So what’s VAR actually solved? It’s definitely not improving the games with ridiculously long stoppages for what should be clear cut decisions.

That’s the fundamental problem with VAR. It’s been brought in to cover the arses of sub standard officials and they’ve put the same substandard officials in charge of reviewing the decisions.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I haven't seen the AV one, but the (maybe) weird bit is that Tieleman won't get a Retrospective Red....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Fair enough to err on the side of caution with penalties, they’re rarely clear cut.

Red card tackles, on the other hand, are generally quite easy to call on replay, and there’s no excuse for them not doing so.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man

VAR bottling it again.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

itslikebrandnew wrote:VAR bottling it again.
Report in midweek said VAR had bottled it 4 times in 4 weeks. Now 5.

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

I thought it was brought in to counter GBH in the penalty area. They are eff clueless :?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

MU are doing ok with Pens :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:MU are doing ok with Pens :wink:
Well, being awarded them anyway.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “SkySports Fantasy Football”