To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

SDT sucks

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by The Sun newspaper.
RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

SDT sucks

Post by RickyRosa »

Strong title I know but has anyone else fallen out of love with this game now it has gone to paying just 5 people.

I know it can be done having finished 5th and 3rd in huge field SDT games previously but it just seems redic really to be up against like a million teams and only 5 get paid

Last year was bad enough with top 10 only getting paid but with such a small chance of cashing even after having an above average start to the season I just have lost my mojo with this game.

Hoping they do a European game as currently imop the main game sucks.

The irony is that in other games the payouts have been increased to twenty percent of the field which everyone is complaining about but I would rather that then just bloody five

Ex-Pro-Gaffer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 17th Overall SDT 19/20
Winner King Of The Weekender Fiso League 16/17 + 18/19 + 19/20
Winner Xmas Fiso League 16/17
Winner Budget Up 16/17
2nd Fiso Euro Comp 16/17

Re: SDT sucks

Post by Ex-Pro-Gaffer »

I play mostly for private mini leagues which are quite profitable,

I do feel this season is just pretty much “blah”, Tammy Abraham without going into too much detail etc has potentially ruined the game, it’s just so easy for the average punter this year, I’ve a private mini league with 22 entrants in, the top 10 are nearly identical,

I must admit yes I’ve lost a hell of a lot of interest over the last 6 weeks,

The forum also being so quiet answer’s many questions,

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

A big problem with the game is differentials. Teams are almost identical and for you to try to go a different route you basically need to go so left field it's a bad decision.

If your 3rd 1st may not have Salah but 2nd may which means hes ruled out. 1 might not have KDB but another might so your trying to find a differential between teams in front you basically need a player no one in front of you has which is like a Son, Jimenez or Firmino and hope they do something brilliant.

Likewise I only enter it for the mini leagues.

People say that if you could only have 2 from the same clubs teams would still be very similar but I do believe it would be more different to now.

You would have to choose 2 from Robertson, Salah, Mane, TAA, Allison, Van Dijk which isn't clear cut.

City you have Sterling + one of Aguero, KDB, Silvas maybe Ederson so again most will go for Aguero but it isn't 100% obvious.

The other teams theres usually a clear choice like Kane or Aubameyang but most teams probably have 6-7 city or liverpool player if not more. Which limits the game.

Biddles32
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2020/21 national finishing positions:

Sun dreamteam - 17th

SKy sports - 865th

TFF - 46th

Fanteam - 489th

Fanteam euros - TBC

Sun dream team euros - probable winner 😬

Post by Biddles32 »

Pricing was all wrong this year. Lots of average joes doing well as they've got lucky with people like Mount and Abraham :roll: as EPG states. I'm just hoping a lot of them lose their nerves and spunk transfers willy nilly and try to be too clever - basically what i used to do :lol:

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

The pricing was wrong with some but nobody could have foreseen Mount or Abraham doing as well. Their price was correct to start.

I did list Abraham as a potential to look at but I was thinking maybe at this stage he would be on 40-50 points. Nowhere near what he has been.

Nightowl
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: fiso cheap as chips champion 17/18

Post by Nightowl »

I agree with the others Not sure it was the wrong starting pricing of players,personally think it's the price increase/decrease increments being to small per week, meaning you can wait weeks and still be able to jump on the bargain and him still being a bargain whereas if it were bigger each week that bargain would get to be more of a gamble for the later arrivals once he hits average price quicker, e.g. at the moment you can still jump on Abraham now for bargain price and it not be much of a gamble but if he went up by the old +0.3m a week increments,budget would be very important and you would have to look elsewhere for other/different bargains, which too may help with keeping teams looking different?

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2016 SDT Knockout Cup Winner. 5th Overall in SDT 2016 European Comp, 3rd overall in SDT Euro 2016 Comp

Post by RickyRosa »

i too look at the top teams and feel they are remarkably similar to mine....its like EPG says....you have to go so left field to find a differential that in reality your almost certainly making a mistake.

The game just doesn't motivate me...i just dont get excited by it like i used too.

I too feel that Tammy and co have made the game to easy and as Nightowl says i dont think the price changes are working well.

I have no problem with only picking 3 players from each side just have a problem with the number of prizes available....dont start me on the weekly....i dont even bother with that anymore....1k is a F joke....

I have seen countless threads over the years saying SDT is dead etc but have never really bought into it but i honestly feel that for the shrewd above average players the game basically is dead....

i think they should charge for teams....£5 per team next year, twenty teams max....would in crease the prize pool, still be affordable for the casual single enterent and make it a hell of a lot of fun for the serious players.....

Maybe next year i will have to just play the cash leagues......

that's if there is a next year!

superiorpinkham
Grumpy Old Man

Post by superiorpinkham »

Just because you're losing

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RickyRosa »

missed you.

not.

along with yourself of course.

superiorpinkham
Grumpy Old Man

Not taking a punt on Milner this year?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

the game is crap because most of us have got caught putting our eggs in the big team baskets?
or
the game is crap because lesser players have got 'lucky'

Think there are some large glasses of sour grape juice being supped around here.

Granted to have a moan about the prize money - but can't groan at the fact you/we are doing badly.
Thats just tough luck. Suck it up.

They joy isn't in winning, but playing a poor hand well.

lfc71
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Usually top of my works/pub lges(50/60 entries)most seasons.
FS Record: Winner of my works & pub leagues (50/60 entries) most seasons (since 1993) - 13th place overall in SDT World cup 2014...10th place overall in SDT seasonal 20/21...1st place in SDT liverpool fan lge 20/21 season (over 80,000 entrants)

Post by lfc71 »

Zimmerman wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 21:58

Think there are some large glasses of sour grape juice being supped around here.

Ditto👍

Biddles32
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2020/21 national finishing positions:

Sun dreamteam - 17th

SKy sports - 865th

TFF - 46th

Fanteam - 489th

Fanteam euros - TBC

Sun dream team euros - probable winner 😬

Post by Biddles32 »

Zimmerman wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 21:58 the game is crap because most of us have got caught putting our eggs in the big team baskets?
or
the game is crap because lesser players have got 'lucky'

Granted to have a moan about the prize money - but can't groan at the fact you/we are doing badly.
Thats just tough luck. Suck it up.

They joy isn't in winning, but playing a poor hand well.
Nothing wrong With having sour grapes Zim it’s just a negative opinion 😁I’m looking at some of the top top managers in the game (including past winners) and their only about 30-40 points better off than me with their best teams. So still hope yet 🙏 Looks like Martial and Rashford might be the way to go 😂

ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Post by ronny10 »

Personally I look at the top 100 and see a mixed bag of teams with lots of opportunities to make up on them. I disagree that you need to go left field with your picks atm, just keep faith with the players you have.

My best is about 90pts off top and feel I'm not out of it yet and have 2 other teams within 100pts so an opportunity to cover a few options and hope 1 makes some inroads.

Such a long way to go before you need to worry too much

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

If only there was an alternative like Kanes Zoopla FF game!
A game for FF experts by a FF expert :mrgreen:

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

SUZYKINS wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 15:27 If only there was an alternative like Kanes Zoopla FF game!
I think that’s folded -could be wrong.

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

mad dog wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 21:39
SUZYKINS wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 15:27 If only there was an alternative like Kanes Zoopla FF game!
I think that’s folded -could be wrong.
Must have got another monthly win and retired :mrgreen:

drdes
Red & Blue Braces

Post by drdes »

I think you are mixing up cause and effect. The reason The teams in the 100 are all similar is because they all have the same players ie the ones who have done well. With 1m entries that was always going to happen.

If (say) Spurs went on a 10 game CS streak and none of the other big teams did, I would expect the top 100 teams to be full of Spurs defensive blocks.

My real issue with the game is the price changes. If you get a good start the price changes perpetuate this and makes it very difficult for others to catch up. So fast starters get the points AND the advantage of having more choice of players going forward.

But thems the rules...

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won DT WC 2018
Won DT weekender wk 2 18/19
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

I must admit I’ve not really enjoyed DT this season so far but as Nev says that’s basically down to my teams being crap🙂 (highest is 747 with 7 to play in big pool vs city game, lowest 644); if I was top 100 with a chance then I’d be enjoying it. Tbf the various fiso mini leagues against top players sparks interest but again, I’m doing crappy in those so again you tend to lose interest. Though that said for some reason even though I’m miles behind, I still get that warm feeling inside when the first Friday of the month comes about.

As Ricky says I think the £5 a team thing would be good though if we all have 10 free then same for all so no excuses there but if maybe I had more teams then I’d possibly have a team in contention hence more enjoyment. As cclem says the 2 or 3 player max per team thing would make things interesting but again no excuses, we all had same rules so fair play to anyone doing well👏.

With regards to Tammy and mount doing so well at cheap price that has happened numerous times before; Michu at 2.0, mahrez n Kane in their breakthrough seasons at 1.5 etc so yes it does make the teams very similar (as obviously 2 cheap stellar players means more budget for expensive players) but again, same for all so the teams at the top have taken advantage better than the likes of me so no excuses. I do think though that Tammy was maybe underpriced from the off. It was maybe obvious lampard was going to look towards the youth with the transfer ban and even then giroud/bats although decent are not exactly drogba for Tammy to compete with. A traditional top 4 team probable main striker should maybe have been £4 mill to start (even with Tammy at the time crap prem record).

The Unexpected price increase was a kick in the teeth 1st week but again no excuses as it was the same for all of us (though those that did very early transfers eg injured Allison to ederson benefited them, compared to the likes of me that held back obviously thinking “no price changes” until week 3). As Nev again rightfully IMO says the lack of cleans from pool n city has scuppered many players like me who spent big at the back. The likes of VVD scored big time last season but now not so. The initial Friday night Liverpool 4 Norwich 3 game although brilliant to watch was again a bit of a downer as I’d gone big on pool blocks from the off (due to their amazing amount of clean sheets last season) plus the Allison injury didn’t help. Peps rotation has been equally frustrating but again I keep going back to “same for all” so zero excuses from me.

Finally, I don’t know about you lot (and this has nothing to do with DT) but I think VAR has played a massive part in my reduction in enjoyment of prem football in general. I’m sick and tired of it and I find it boring. It’s ruining my enjoyment of the greatness game in history. For the last decade I pretty much have Talksport/sky sports news on but this season I’ve barely had it on; just fed up of the constant VAR bollocks🙄

Sorry for the long post; basically to sum up, if you’re doing well it’s still great, if you’re not you lose interest (and VAR is sh1te)

Though even though I assume many think DT is doomed long term, I still think they could turn things round in the future with a great promotion campaign, a few tweaks with the rules, maybe a pay to play return for bigger payouts etc could rejuvenate fantasy football once again🤗

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

Can you say that again

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won DT WC 2018
Won DT weekender wk 2 18/19
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

MADCHESTER UTD wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 17:09 I must admit I’ve not really enjoyed DT this season so far but as Nev says that’s basically down to my teams being crap🙂 (highest is 747 with 7 to play in big pool vs city game, lowest 644); if I was top 100 with a chance then I’d be enjoying it. Tbf the various fiso mini leagues against top players sparks interest but again, I’m doing crappy in those so again you tend to lose interest. Though that said for some reason even though I’m miles behind, I still get that warm feeling inside when the first Friday of the month comes about.

As Ricky says I think the £5 a team thing would be good though if we all have 10 free then same for all so no excuses there but if maybe I had more teams then I’d possibly have a team in contention hence more enjoyment. As cclem says the 2 or 3 player max per team thing would make things interesting but again no excuses, we all had same rules so fair play to anyone doing well👏.

With regards to Tammy and mount doing so well at cheap price that has happened numerous times before; Michu at 2.0, mahrez n Kane in their breakthrough seasons at 1.5 etc so yes it does make the teams very similar (as obviously 2 cheap stellar players means more budget for expensive players) but again, same for all so the teams at the top have taken advantage better than the likes of me so no excuses. I do think though that Tammy was maybe underpriced from the off. It was maybe obvious lampard was going to look towards the youth with the transfer ban and even then giroud/bats although decent are not exactly drogba for Tammy to compete with. A traditional top 4 team probable main striker should maybe have been £4 mill to start (even with Tammy at the time crap prem record).

The Unexpected price increase was a kick in the teeth 1st week but again no excuses as it was the same for all of us (though those that did very early transfers eg injured Allison to ederson benefited them, compared to the likes of me that held back obviously thinking “no price changes” until week 3). As Nev again rightfully IMO says the lack of cleans from pool n city has scuppered many players like me who spent big at the back. The likes of VVD scored big time last season but now not so. The initial Friday night Liverpool 4 Norwich 3 game although brilliant to watch was again a bit of a downer as I’d gone big on pool blocks from the off (due to their amazing amount of clean sheets last season) plus the Allison injury didn’t help. Peps rotation has been equally frustrating but again I keep going back to “same for all” so zero excuses from me.

Finally, I don’t know about you lot (and this has nothing to do with DT) but I think VAR has played a massive part in my reduction in enjoyment of prem football in general. I’m sick and tired of it and I find it boring. It’s ruining my enjoyment of the greatness game in history. For the last decade I pretty much have Talksport/sky sports news on but this season I’ve barely had it on; just fed up of the constant VAR bollocks🙄

Sorry for the long post; basically to sum up, if you’re doing well it’s still great, if you’re not you lose interest (and VAR is sh1te)

Though even though I assume many think DT is doomed long term, I still think they could turn things round in the future with a great promotion campaign, a few tweaks with the rules, maybe a pay to play return for bigger payouts etc could rejuvenate fantasy football once again🤗
For Ronny💪

ronny10
FISO Knight

Post by ronny10 »

Cheers, the 2nd read was even worse!

seysey
Treebeard
FS Record: 9th Sun dream team 2016,

Post by seysey »

I still cannot understand where they get there star man from.. there was no way Salah was starman today,

RickyRosa
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RickyRosa »

Great post Mad.

For the record I have no sour grapes....SDT has been great for me....I won a sum of money that helped me change my life (I will not bore you) and have had so much fun...
I’m even pretty infamous on an Internet forum as the guy people love to hate (just ask Superior Trollham ). My only gripe is with the payout structure which makes it reduc hard to win anything....nothing more, nothing less.

Mad hits it on the head perfectly, if I were doing well I’m sure I would be more interested...look at me last year....fighting till the end....looking for differentials like Milner etc as I really though despite incredibly long odds there was still the remoteness of a chance...but with just 5 paid even I, the eternal optimist am struggling to keep the dream alive.....

I’m a dreamer at heart and I guess I just want to feel I stand a chance,.,....

Would love it if they did bring back pay to play,smaller fields, bigger payouts and lots of fun.

Fingers crossed.

So hoping there is a Euro game!

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

the game is hopelessly flawed by these so called stats which govern the Sun Ratings.

who-scored- basically in a nutshell ain't worth the winep's hanging off my arse.

i'm sure everyone on here watched the Liverpool game yesterday.

according to their fool-proof ratings T.A.A was Liverpool's worst player followed by Wijnaldum :shock:

WHAT eff GAME ARE THEY WATCHING???

T.A.A was yet again awesome. His crossfield passing, takedowns, barnstorming run into their box was again that good it was throughout,t commented /complemented/ and highlighted by pundits during the game and on MOTD.

Wijnaldum also had his best game in midfield this season.

how the eff you can derive a measly mark of 6.7 and 6.9 for either of them borders on the , What eff planet do you live on?

cclem345
Grumpy Old Man

Post by cclem345 »

Have to agree though Winjaldum was excellent yesterday.

Salah apart from the goal was very average.

Allison got a rating for making 2 normal saves and touching the ball more passing it around the back.

Patricio made 3 saves and got like a 6.3. Pickford too made 2 saves and 6.2.

Walter Bishop
FISOhead
FS Record: 4th Phase 1 European DT 2016(Don't ask me how) :)Won Knockout Cup 15/16. 1st Fiso Mini League. 46th Euros 2016. 83rd Overall 2016/17 Sun DT.

Post by Walter Bishop »

Most things suck when you are not doing very well. This game is definitely not as Much fun as it used to be with the many more prizes to be won for Monthly competitions, even if you were just trying to sneak into the Top 50 for 50 quid and a way superior Weekly game. I think this Year the Blocks just haven't paid off which Like Zimmerman has said let's the luckier players get a foothold And with so many playing a lot are going to get Lucky. It's all about timing and getting it right with your Transfers most of the time which needs a lot of Luck and in case I forget to mention it you really need to get Lucky :lol:

Oh and jump on the obvious too when it smacks you in the face like picking a few Leicester Players before they go on a run.

Still time to put on a charge up the Leader Board and bring some enjoyment back into your game. :D

MrTomRipley
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm"

Post by MrTomRipley »

Obviously the major difference this season has been that no single defensive block has performed exceptionally. This has already been mentioned.

I have a question.

I’ve been playing SDT on and off since the 90s but have dipped out for several years a few times.

Has there ever been a season (when there was no 3 players per team limit) when no defensive block has performed really well in the first three months of the season?

We’ve had Man Utd, Burnley even Southampton in recent seasons - but have we ever had a “no block” first three months?

I’m seeing a lot of teams at the top of the SDT table that look very “FPL” right now. Three attacking full backs from different teams, etc. That sort of thing.

Never seen this tactic work in SDT before.

Thoughts?

Ex-Pro-Gaffer
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 17th Overall SDT 19/20
Winner King Of The Weekender Fiso League 16/17 + 18/19 + 19/20
Winner Xmas Fiso League 16/17
Winner Budget Up 16/17
2nd Fiso Euro Comp 16/17

Post by Ex-Pro-Gaffer »

Them Pool blocks should be built already, if your 100-150 pts off sit tight it’s going to be a bumpy ride :wink:

superiorpinkham
Grumpy Old Man

I still believe

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “The Sun Dream Team FF Games”