It is currently 25 Apr 2017, 19:22
View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

Prog

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
User avatar
PleasedToMichu
Red & Blue Braces
Posts: 474
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 07:26

Prog

Postby PleasedToMichu » 30 Dec 2016, 12:22

Over the years it's clear that english musicians in the 60' and 70' hit a nerve in my taste. Especially prog at that time was truly special in Great Britain. So, are there any prog-fans that would like to share their knowledge and likings from that time?

I'm not joking when I say 95% of all music I listen to is made between 63-77 - and there seems to be an endless discovery of new bands/musicians from that era. My taste goes in waves, but prog seems to take over more and more of my playlist. On that basis I would like to throw in some of my favorite prog-albums from that time;

Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Going For The One
Camel - Mirage
Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash
Rush - Fly By Night
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
Titus Groan - Titus Groan (a bit obscure - would love to learn more about these musicians)

User avatar
murf
FISO Baron
Posts: 83636
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: * NEW * Plugging FISO Superbru F1 comp (click my www link) *
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
FISO Goals: Score: 300 Position: 1
Contact:

Re: Prog

Postby murf » 30 Dec 2016, 12:55

Earth calling Spiny.....

User avatar
Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
Posts: 22489
Joined: 23 Jul 2006, 08:12
Location: West Midlands.
FS Record: Under Ordinary
FISO Goals: Score: 88 Position: 53

Re: Prog

Postby Spinynorman » 30 Dec 2016, 20:32

murf wrote:Earth calling Spiny.....


Blimey! :shock:

Some crackers there. :D

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 57105
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.
Contact:

Re: Prog

Postby blahblah » 30 Dec 2016, 20:34

All a bit mainstream?

Far from an expert, but The Mighty Cope name checks loads, admittedly a lot German.

User avatar
PleasedToMichu
Red & Blue Braces
Posts: 474
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 07:26

Re: Prog

Postby PleasedToMichu » 30 Dec 2016, 22:00

I think my better half would laugh if I told her my favourites is mainstream :D she hates prog

But they probably are. King Crimson's album was my introduction to prog, and I know that's a well known album in various groups. I do however need to be in the right mood to "learn" to dig a new album, I tried Mirage a couple years ago, and it didn't work out for me then. Right now it grows on me every time I listen to it.

I will check out The Mighty Cope

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 57105
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.
Contact:

Re: Prog

Postby blahblah » 30 Dec 2016, 22:08

PleasedToMichu wrote:I think my better half would laugh if I told her my favourites is mainstream :D she hates prog

But they probably are. King Crimson's album was my introduction to prog, and I know that's a well known album in various groups. I do however need to be in the right mood to "learn" to dig a new album, I tried Mirage a couple years ago, and it didn't work out for me then. Right now it grows on me every time I listen to it.

I will check out The Mighty Cope


That's Julian Cope :wink:

Apparently KrautRockSampler (sp?) is a bit of a bible of German prog.

Not prog, but probably the best thing written for many, many years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgq5OjVTJRs

User avatar
Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
Posts: 22489
Joined: 23 Jul 2006, 08:12
Location: West Midlands.
FS Record: Under Ordinary
FISO Goals: Score: 88 Position: 53

Re: Prog

Postby Spinynorman » 30 Dec 2016, 22:17

jeffmcgow has been on an interesting prog journey of late and it's well worth looking up his comments. Takeshi and Hogmeister have also been listening to some intriguing stuff for a while. :)

Blah as always knows his onions. :mrgreen:

User avatar
quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2024
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at quizking.eu
Contact:

Re: Prog

Postby quizking » 31 Dec 2016, 00:36

Ask the hive mind - "rateyourmusic" takes opinions from any music fan in the world who wants give an opinion, on every genre (you can sort by category, nationality, year, whatever) - here's their prog list (and that's just the top 5000 entries (!));

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?pa ... countries=

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 57105
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.
Contact:

Re: Prog

Postby blahblah » 31 Dec 2016, 10:31

quizking wrote:Ask the hive mind - "rateyourmusic" takes opinions from any music fan in the world who wants give an opinion, on every genre (you can sort by category, nationality, year, whatever) - here's their prog list (and that's just the top 5000 entries (!));

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?pa ... countries=



Brilliant site, for finding long forgotten\unknown stuff 8-)

I've started a new thread to stop this one being derailed....

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=123591

User avatar
Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
Posts: 22489
Joined: 23 Jul 2006, 08:12
Location: West Midlands.
FS Record: Under Ordinary
FISO Goals: Score: 88 Position: 53

Re: Prog

Postby Spinynorman » 31 Dec 2016, 10:32

quizking wrote:Ask the hive mind - "rateyourmusic" takes opinions from any music fan in the world who wants give an opinion, on every genre (you can sort by category, nationality, year, whatever) - here's their prog list (and that's just the top 5000 entries (!));

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?pa ... countries=


It's an awesome list much of which has been nicked from my record collection. :)

User avatar
PleasedToMichu
Red & Blue Braces
Posts: 474
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 07:26

Re: Prog

Postby PleasedToMichu » 31 Dec 2016, 14:22

blahblah wrote: That's Julian Cope :wink:


lol, that's proof of my ignorance

Thanks for that link - it's similar lists that have been my method of finding new albums

User avatar
primitive man
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2999
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FISO Goals: Score: 258 Position: 10
Contact:

Re: Prog

Postby primitive man » 31 Dec 2016, 23:16

Van der Graff's The Least we Can do is Wave To One Another & H to He Who Am the Only One are deffo worth a listen.
How about Jon Heismann's Coliseum (excuse spelling) For Those About to Die We Salute You
Bit more obscure and a bit jazzy Warm Dust - And it came to Pass (features a young Paul Carrick on keys)

User avatar
PleasedToMichu
Red & Blue Braces
Posts: 474
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 07:26

Re: Prog

Postby PleasedToMichu » 02 Jan 2017, 08:00

primitive man wrote:Van der Graff's The Least we Can do is Wave To One Another & H to He Who Am the Only One are deffo worth a listen.
How about Jon Heismann's Coliseum (excuse spelling) For Those About to Die We Salute You
Bit more obscure and a bit jazzy Warm Dust - And it came to Pass (features a young Paul Carrick on keys)


Thanks for those! I will check them out. Actually, I have experience with Colosseum - particularly their live-album from 71' which I rate very high. Forgot to mention that album in my first post.

I see wikipedia is listing Colosseums first albums as Jazz Fusion - that's also a genre I'm curious about. Also dig Blood, Sweat & Tears' album - Child is Father to the Man, which I understand is a bit jazz-fusion.

User avatar
primitive man
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2999
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:32
FISO Goals: Score: 258 Position: 10
Contact:

Re: Prog

Postby primitive man » 02 Jan 2017, 14:31

PleasedToMichu wrote:
primitive man wrote:Van der Graff's The Least we Can do is Wave To One Another & H to He Who Am the Only One are deffo worth a listen.
How about Jon Heismann's Coliseum (excuse spelling) For Those About to Die We Salute You
Bit more obscure and a bit jazzy Warm Dust - And it came to Pass (features a young Paul Carrick on keys)


Thanks for those! I will check them out. Actually, I have experience with Colosseum - particularly their live-album from 71' which I rate very high. Forgot to mention that album in my first post.

I see wikipedia is listing Colosseums first albums as Jazz Fusion - that's also a genre I'm curious about. Also dig Blood, Sweat & Tears' album - Child is Father to the Man, which I understand is a bit jazz-fusion.


For jazz fusion try Warm Dust https://www.discogs.com/search/ as its rather expensive to get hold of - go to discogs and search on band name - loads of tracks on there don't have to be a member (but it is free).

Yes I also like BS&T that album you said and the next (just called BS&T).
Can more or less listen to anything you fancy on that discog site tho.

User avatar
jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
Posts: 2281
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:28
Location: Getting there
FS Record: nah

Re: Prog

Postby jimwinn » 11 Jan 2017, 22:47

Often I load up You and I and Heart of the Sunrise on You Tube

Never a Yes fan at the time but now I'm definately a convert

User avatar
blahblah
FISO Baron
Posts: 57105
Joined: 13 Oct 2005, 18:46
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.
Contact:

Re: Prog

Postby blahblah » 11 Jan 2017, 22:57

Coincidentally: I went snooker last week and Steve Davis is doing a kids thing in Grtr Manchester on Wednesdays. (A tad odd, until I found out that he (too) has left darkest Essex for PRoM, when buying a cue in my new found quest to hit another 50 Break.)

Anyhow, he is a big Prog head, and used to do a Radio Prog (ho ho) playing Prog.


View Latest: 1 Day

Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest