To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

9.5mn midfielders. Awkward price point?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

9.5mn midfielders. Awkward price point?

Post by Sutter Kane »

Apologies if this is a replication of a similar topic. But, presuming they stay put, what do we think of the 9.5mn mid options this season? My take on them is this:

Ozil: Only Aguero/Mahrez/Vardy had a better ppg last season. Something is putting me off though, not sure what! Tricky first 2 games perhaps.
Mkht'n: I think he'll be fantastic if he's played in his preferred position - his goal/assist record was outstanding last season.
Martial: Being a mid this season is worth maybe 25-30 extra points to him over a season - not sure that's quite good enough to include him.
Mahrez; If he stays, he's got to be one to consider. If he's only 80% as good as last season, probably a must have. (is he on pens?)
Payet: Central to everything West Ham do; no doubt in my mind he can replicate last season. Assume he'll get rests for Europa league ties...

Obviously there are previously popular players in and around 9.5 such as Silva, Hazard (Hazard feels a little unknown right now)

Are the price points in our squads such that we are struggling to include any of these 9.5s as I haven't heard many mentions of them...

PS: I'm dubious about man u players full stop under Mourinho with so many new players, certainly early on this season. Shame their fixtures are decent. Even if all the above are fit to start GW1, Mahrez is the only one in there for me at this point.

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Re: 9.5mn midfielders. Awkward price point?

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

Gone with Mahrez also.

Do we know whether Ozil, Payet etc will start the season?

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

TheBigLewandowski wrote:Gone with Mahrez also.

Do we know whether Ozil, Payet etc will start the season?
Ozil won't be starting not sure about Payet

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I think most people are put off Mahrez by the price hike, plus he did *only* score 5 times in the second half of the season and seemed to lose pens. Even so, it's probably enough for a 9.5 mid and Leicester's opening fixtures are enough for me to be strongly considering him, at least until the CL begins by which time I'm almost sure that the extra demands on the squad will be too much.

I know he's a bit over, but I'd add Hazard to the list too, and I think at some point I'm likely to want two players from Hazard, Ozil, MkhMar and especially Payet (and three mids total from the 8.5+ range).

I don't know what to make of MkhMar and Ibrahimovic. I'm waiting on the last friendlies and especially the Community Shield, but I can't imagine having more than one Man Utd attacker, at least initially, along with one defender. I don't know if it's clear yet if a successful Mourinho Man Utd would require a double up in defence or in attack.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

I'll certainly be giving Mahrez the swerve, and I'm a little sceptical of Payet too, I think they will both do well this season but drop-off the heights they hit last year enough to make them unlikely to be important picks to have.

Micky and Martial I am interested in. There's a decent chance I'll start with one but it's which one, i certainly was planning to start a thread comparing the two.

Hazard I really think looks like a great option, if he's nailed and fit I reckon he'll hit 190+ season.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:Micky and Martial I am interested in. There's a decent chance I'll start with one but it's which one, i certainly was planning to start a thread comparing the two.
Well we can certainly turn this into the above thread to glean enough opinion!

As I said first, I don't think Martial, unless he notably improves or something changes, will be as good as Mikki (I believe his fans call him this!) based on last season's score. But he might improve enough...

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Leicester are playing PSG tomorrow morning so it will be interesting to see how they are progressing and how Mahrez plays.

I like that fact that he will be nice and fresh, a key player who will still be the focal point of the team. If Vardy doesn't make the first game, he might even have pens back for a little while.

I see him as a safe pair of hands to start the season with. Still plenty of time for him to be transferred into irrelevance though!

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

Wengar was at the previous Leicester game watching Mahrez.....

Weisenwolf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2,234 points; back when this was considered a good score....

Post by Weisenwolf »

What does everyone think of Silva, is he nailed on, is this his season?

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

Weisenwolf wrote:What does everyone think of Silva, is he nailed on, is this his season?
surely he is Can't see Sterling or navas starting over him

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

Vardy will be on pens rather than Mahrez.

Of all those above I fancy Ozil over the season and Martial short term.

Martial got 141 last season, if he was a midfielder last season it would have been the equivalent of 168 points and possibly extra BP. That was in a demotivated, defensive and underperforming United side. They will score more goals this season and Martial should be nailed on.

At the moment my main consideration is how to shape my team - either a 352 with Martial for a 343 with Ibra.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

I'll be having two from a similar price category category. Currently Hazard and Mikhi, but KDB and Martial aren't too far away either. The two United lads in particular feels like a 50/50.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

Hazard is flying right now and I believe he's worth the extra £0.5 over any £9.5 midfielder, in theory.
Out of the £9.5 bracket Mahrez is my choice: good pre-season, no Euro, no injuries, no need to adapt, and he was already on fire before Kante joined so I don't expect it to hurt him too much. It's a bad thing he's lost the pens but he would still have had an awesome score last time without them.
I think Ozil and Payet would be the safe options, but the fixtures are very bad. Two players to look for when playing the early wildcard.
Mikhtarian and Martial have great potential but most of the goals produced by Man. Utd. should go to Ibra and Rooney. Also, going for them will mean putting a lot of eggs in the Man. U. basket since a lot of trainers will have Ibra. Wait and see is definitely the recommended approach here.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

With Sane now incoming at Man City, does that confirm KDB in the number 10 role behind Aguero? I'd assume Sane will play on the right, which would leave Silva on the left and presumably thus confirming KDB in the hole?

I guess Sane himself will come it at around the same price as Silva, perhaps 8.5 or 9.0. Decent record with Shalke, scoring 5 in 15 appearances from the right side of midfield.

http://www.football-lineups.com/footbal ... =1516&s=85

Fuzzy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: meh

Post by Fuzzy »

Hazard and Mkhi for me (no Zlatan), and be ready to reassess after the first couple of gameweeks.

I am sure I read somewhere that Payet is visiting Reunion and is not due back in training for a few days yet

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Nolito now out the team then? Sane is young so might not start every game. Tbh, i smell a bit of rotation in that City front line, especially around CL times - Sterling/Nolito/Navas/Nasri is some expensive set of attacking mid backups. I guess it makes it more likely Yaya won't get many games further forward.

Canary94
FISOhead

Post by Canary94 »

There is some serious potential for rotation. I'm happy to stay clear of City mids until we know what Pep favours. I imagine once CL kicks in there will be a rotation headache for us FPL managers, much like Klopp at the back end of last year.

Out of this price point I'm going Hazard. Has serious potential to be top scoring player (famous last words). Would like to see how Utd frontline sets up before gambling on Mhiki/Martial. Also Payet/Ozil are firmly on the watchlist when season in full swing.

maradonash
Red & Blue Braces

Post by maradonash »

Stemania wrote:Nolito now out the team then? Sane is young so might not start every game. Tbh, i smell a bit of rotation in that City front line, especially around CL times - Sterling/Nolito/Navas/Nasri is some expensive set of attacking mid backups. I guess it makes it more likely Yaya won't get many games further forward.
I would say that is a given if Pep's time at Bayern is anything to go by.
Pep-Dec2015 wrote:"For harmony, fitness and mind, rotation is the best solution. But, of course, there are players who are on the pitch longer than others. I don't have the time to explain to every player every week why he does not play.
'If somebody does not play, this does not mean I do not love him. And the players know that."
That was in response as to why he had gone 130 competitive games since naming an unchanged side :shock:

Roope
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Roope »

With Sane in the mix it's safe to say it's best to avoid the City midfield.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

So City is the standout team for GW1 but the only nailed attacking player is Aguero?

ObiWanKenobiNil
Kevin and Perry

Post by ObiWanKenobiNil »

Na I'd say silva should be pretty nailed on. Yeah he's 30 but he's experienced and been a solid performer for the past 5-6 seasons

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

I think there will be a lot of rotation with City behind Aguero so definitely avoiding them early doors.

Although I think 9.5-10 is an area where you will end up needing two of these in your team all season switching between them based on form and fixtures.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

SFC_Fan wrote:I think there will be a lot of rotation with City behind Aguero so definitely avoiding them early doors.

Although I think 9.5-10 is an area where you will end up needing two of these in your team all season switching between them based on form and fixtures.
Agreed. Hazard/KDB/Martial/Mikhi/Sanchez (albeit slightly higher) will all rip it up at some stage or other this season, it's just hopping onto them at the right time. Fully intend to keep two spots at this price point all season, personally.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Sane is in at 8.0. Tempter at the price but surely too risky to start with.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

Mav3rick wrote:Sane is in at 8.0. Tempter at the price but surely too risky to start with.
Exactly that.

Hazard and Mkhi own those 2 spots in my team for GW1.

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

The Toon Man wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:Sane is in at 8.0. Tempter at the price but surely too risky to start with.
Exactly that.

Hazard and Mkhi own those 2 spots in my team for GW1.
I've currently got Mahrez and Mikhi but also wanting Hazard in. Going to have to leave one of them out which is frustrating. In Zlatan, I already have Man Utd attacking coverage but think Mikhi will do well.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Sane's stats from Bundesliga are not really a tempter, 47 matches (2935 minutes), 11 goals and 7 assists. Playing in the attacking role in City does not necessarily justify 8.0m price tag, ask for Navas.

Canary94
FISOhead

Post by Canary94 »

City have just signed Gabriel Jesus for 27m.

Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know if he's a mid or a forward? Either way the rotation minefield thickens under Pep.

d2024p
Treebeard

Post by d2024p »

Canary94 wrote:City have just signed Gabriel Jesus for 27m.

Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know if he's a mid or a forward? Either way the rotation minefield thickens under Pep.
He's surely one for the future? I don't think he'll start very many - cup games and maybe CL group stage if they are already through. I reckon he'll make 10-12 appearances in the PL this year, 2/3 of those from the bench.

Still, it puts further distance between me and any of the City midfield, at least for now.

Le Red
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Will improve

Post by Le Red »

Canary94 wrote:City have just signed Gabriel Jesus for 27m.

He can play both roles actually, even full-back. He's very skilled but comes short when it comes to finishing. If you want a comparison with a Premier League player, I'd say Mahrez, since he usually traps the ball near the side of the pitch and uses his skill to get in scoring positions. My guess is he'll be classed as a midfielder.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”