To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Agüero's stand in; which striker over GW4+5.

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Who is the best Agüero stand in?

Poll ended at 14 Sep 2014, 17:25

Sergio Agüero (ars,CHE)
19%
Daniel Sturridge (VIL,whu)
19%
Mario Balotelli (VIL,whu)
13%
Robin van Persie (QPR,lei)
1%
Rademal Falcao (QPR,lei)
16%
Wayne Rooney (QPR,lei)
9%
Romelu Lukaku (wba,CPL)
No votes
Steven Naismith (wba,CPL)
6%
Emmanuel Adebayor (sun,WBA)
3%
Diego Costa (SWA,mnc)
12%
Other - please specify
1%

Total votes: 68

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Agüero's stand in; which striker over GW4+5.

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Sergio Agüero (ars,CHE) - One of the most fixture proof players in the game, so why buy a stand in, you'll save yourself a planned transfer and protect against any possible price rises.

Daniel Sturridge (VIL,whu) - Liverpool look to be firing, with a dominant win against Tottenham and netting six goals this season. Only has one goal to his name, but was unlucky to blank last game week. His habit off dropping off to the wing is worrying but it didn't really hurt him last season, where he showed himself to be a top premier league striker, with or without Luis Suárez. Don't buy early as he may drop.

Mario Balotelli (VIL,whu) - Didn't look bad on his début* against Spurs, had some good opportunities but failed to score, this could be good or bad depending on how you interpret it. Lacked a bit of fitness but should be more up to speed for the Villa game. The real positive is he was often Liverpool's furthest player forward and their target in the box.

Robin van Persie (QPR,lei) - Yet to play a full 90, and possibly over your budget, though if you have the free cash he could be the top dog at United and has the advantage of penalties. For all the united players I would say they have the easiest fixtures, though their form is abysmal, Leicester won't be pushovers but they did attack against Arsenal.

Rademal Falcao (QPR,lei) - A highly prolific striker, with an allergy to champions league football. It's a massive gamble, considering he's returning for injury, a CK, and playing for United, but it really could go either way.

Wayne Rooney (QPR,lei) - With two more relegation six pointers, club captain Wayne Rooney will surely want to step up to the plate, question marks as to where he will start and losing penalty duty, could be a big put off. The only one of the United trio with a full competitive 90 minutes under his belt this season.

Romelu Lukaku (wba,CPL) - Flagged up with a knock, but I would think likely to play, no goals this season but you'd think that would change soon. Tasty looking fixtures and Everton have scored 7 this season despite playing two of the big clubs.

Steven Naismith (wba,CPL) - With Eto'o regaining fitness there are some doubts on his selection, but he has been prolific this season; If you really think he can keep it up though, why would you get rid of him!

Emmanuel Adebayor (sun,WBA) - The jury is still out on how good Tottenham look this season, after scraping past West Ham with 10 men for most of the game, hammering a poor QPR, and being dominated by a brilliant Liverpool performance. The one thing we do know is Adebayor should be playing up top for two nice fixtures.

Diego Costa (SWA,mnc) - The form striker, I'd be surprised if you didn't have him anyway and his next two fixtures aren't particularly appealing.

I've not included Danny Welbeck, Wilfred Bony or other Manchester City strikers, due to bad fixtures.

*accent in début just for Pirlo's Beard.
Last edited by Carlos Kickaball on 03 Sep 2014, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: Agüero's stand in; which striker over GW4+5.

Post by Stemania »

Sturridge for the next couple of weeks imo, and I wouldn't say it's particularly close. He's the only one in the list without a slight question mark over either form, fitness, fixtures or his place in his team.

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

I agree, it probably has to be Sturridge
edit: or actually Costa, if you don't have him already :D

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Sorry poll reset, please vote again, I added Costa as I felt it was a bad omission. I assumed everyone would have Costa, and that his fixtures weren't that good, but when someone voted other I thought who could it be, and realised.

I think Sturridge too, most things point towards him. I have a sneaking feeling that Adebayor and Lukaku could come alight with their fixtures, and I reckon Balotelli might outscore him given the positions he was taking up on the pitch.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Sturridge for me.

Which is probably a strange thing to say for someone who doesn't have him and has Rooney and Dzeko alongside Costa instead...

What can I say, I'm loyal to my original picks and like a good differential!

Sammy the Crab
Dumbledore

Post by Sammy the Crab »

Aguero and a saved transfer IMO.

That's if you're 100% dead set on getting him in after the next two.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

Are we suggesting a stand in simply due to 2 tough fixtures in a row...rather than him having had a knock or something?

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Yes, most people don't have him in yet, so choosing someone with better fixtures for the transition could be the optimal strategy. I've left the option of Agüero there, so if like Sammy you think he'll do fine in the big games you can vote for him.

After jokingly mentioning Falcao was allergic to champions league football, I stumbled upon this.

Last edited by Carlos Kickaball on 03 Sep 2014, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

OIEIAO
FISOhead

Post by OIEIAO »

Thanks for explaining.

Aguero scored the first goal for Argentina against Germany tonight (in Dusseldorf) and played 83 minutes. Friendly or not, my hunch is he's fit again and will happy to rise to the occasion of playing Arsenal and Chelsea.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Not sure how much money there is in big price forwards at the moment - feel somehow safer having my money invested in four big hitting midfielders (and Siggy) and one premium forward (Costa/Aguero). Aguero's stand in may well be a midfielder at present :)

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:*accent in début just for Pirlo's Beard.
There's an accent in 'debut'? :?

Wikipedia says either way is acceptable. I don't think I've ever seen it spelled with an accent.

Who's the best two-week stand-in for Agüero? Sturridge. Or maybe Balotelli.
Carlos Kickaball wrote:Rademal
Also, if we're going to be pedants, can we at least get Falcao's name right? :wink:

redchemist
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redchemist »

Sergio for me. He looks ready to go. I think he'll pip Costa to golden boot too, bookies have him 6/1 which is tasty if he stays uncrocked.
Form over fixture and anyway Leicester caused problems for Arsenal hence why Debuchy and I have split up.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

Choice of two for a spot alongside Costa and Naismith for me.

Sergio, looking match fit again at last. He is fixture-proof when fit surely? Also a slight differential given ownership %.

Sturridge, the preferable fixtures and he looked threatening at Spurs.

Coin toss for me, someone help me out?

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
Carlos Kickaball wrote:Rademal
Also, if we're going to be pedants, can we at least get Falcao's name right? :wink:
Why you little, how long did it take you to realise that? I'm not even going to change it because it will reset the poll, I even googled "Rademal" as I was unsure and it comes up with plenty of good looking results and no correction. :lol:

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

The Toon Man wrote:Choice of two for a spot alongside Costa and Naismith for me.

Sergio, looking match fit again at last. He is fixture-proof when fit surely? Also a slight differential given ownership %.

Sturridge, the preferable fixtures and he looked threatening at Spurs.

Coin toss for me, someone help me out?
It came up heads.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

Tails here.

There is an easier way to decide but you will have to think about who you can afford to fit in and who you can't.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

It really does come down to who I think will score more points over the next two GW's.

Sturridge AST whu v Aguero ars CHE

Leaning towards Aguero due to having only 0.1 spare and not being able to get him in if he goes mad. Plus I think he's the best player in the league, always helps.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Another thing to consider, who are you likely to be more comfortable captaining?

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

gunnersaurus wrote:Another thing to consider, who are you likely to be more comfortable captaining?
Costa :D

For Swansea home, neither when City play Chelsea which would leave Sterling for West Ham away.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

The Toon Man wrote:
Leaning towards Aguero due to having only 0.1 spare and not being able to get him in if he goes mad. Plus I think he's the best player in the league, always helps.

RE: this, can anyone tell me who they'd expect to rise before the next game? If I could make the odd 0.1 on my current WC by bunging in the risers it could be vital over the next few weeks.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

I would think Costa this wks captain and it's very much open for the week after as City play Chelsea so this gwks performances would be an influence. Currently I'd be reasonably comfortable with Costa both weeks although Sturridge at WHU is also good.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

The Toon Man wrote:
The Toon Man wrote:

RE: this, can anyone tell me who they'd expect to rise before the next game? If I could make the odd 0.1 on my current WC by bunging in the risers it could be vital over the next few weeks.
See ASM's rmt in the rmt section, both Carlos and ASM have been looking at getting an extra 0.1m

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

gunnersaurus wrote:Another thing to consider, who are you likely to be more comfortable captaining?
Yeah that's the thing that has me leaning towards Sturridge, in GW4 I'll surely captain Costa but in GW5 Aguero plays Chelsea while Liverpool faces West Ham, so Sturridge would then be my captain choice before bringing in Aguero

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Would you not be comfortable captaining Sterling?

asm_fanz
Grumpy Old Frog

Post by asm_fanz »

Hmm not just yet

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

As likely to be involved in the final third as Sturridge now in my opinion.

He's in the team to create and score goals, I'll be captaining him away at West Ham.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

I'm just wondering where people stand now given the Sturridge injury, tempted to remove him and rerun the poll. For me there are only 3 candidates really worth considering. Should I reset the poll, does anyone care?

Sergio Agüero (ars,CHE) - With the most popular replacement choice out the window, surely Agüero + 1FT appeals even more.

Mario Balotelli (VIL,whu) - I feel the logical replacement for Sturridge and I was tempted even before the injury, though I have two concerns. I don't think the omission of Sturridge will help him score points and even more worringly I feel a mix of possible lack of fitness, Brendan not wanting to make him feel like he's the centre of the team and easy opposition could mean 120 minutes is the best were likely to get out of Super Mario. Would like to know what you guys think on this one.

Emmanuel Adebayor (sun,WBA) - I don't know why he's not fancied more, 3 of his last four full seasons in the premiership he's done better than 1 in 2, and once delivered more than 20 goals in a season. Seems nailed on at spurs and has good fixtures for the next two weeks.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Chances are because you are unlikely to captain him and with Costa being touch and go for fitness the extra captain option will come in handy.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

I know all the arguments about wait and see and read Billy's never assists post but surely Falcao is a two game option, even if he's unlikely to be mine.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Way too many reasons not to touch Falcao, he's even less likely to play a full 90 than Balotelli, the fact you said he's not your stand in says it all. who's your stand in Liquid?

Would you trust a possibly 60 min Balotelli (c), or Adebeyor (c) GS? I suppose they don't look bad.

I have Hazard so a chelsea captain is no issue though I don't think captaining Costa is that bad, just slap the VC on someone decent.

Mine is between Agüero and Balotelli, with Adebeyor being a outside option.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”