To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Anyone with electrical wiring knowledge

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

orsm
Treebeard
FS Record: TFF Weekly winner 09/10

Anyone with electrical wiring knowledge

Post by orsm »

Hi, can anyone tell me what wires I have wrong ?
I put together the following wires from a ceiling light.

2 earth from ceiling to earth from light fixture
1 blue wire and 1 grey wire with blue sleeve from ceiling (NEUTRAL ?) to blue wire from light fixture
1 blue wire with brown sleeve with black wire from ceiling (SWITCHED LIVE ?) to brown wire from light fixture
all 3 brown wires from ceiling taped off single and not connected.

Both lights in the living room are not working, its off 1 wall switch. Yesterday I took down the old light rose and fitted the new fixture, there were 2 brown from ceiling which I tapped and not connected, 2 blue from ceiling to blue from new fixture, black wire from ceiling to brown wire from light fixture, and earth to earth. Yesterday that light worked fine and so did the old light that was still up, this morning taken down the old rose fixture and both are not working, i have checked all wires and none are loose.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Anyone with electrical wiring knowledge

Post by blahblah »

The new one has worked?

orsm
Treebeard

Post by orsm »

blahblah wrote:The new one has worked?
Yeah, Yesterday I took down the old rose fitting and put in the new light, I switched on the lights and the new light worked and the old one was on too, (2 ceiling lights 1 wall switch)

This morning I took the old rose fixture down and put the new fixture up so I now have 2 new lights, switched on and both are not working, I suspect there is a break in the circuit,

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I'm getting confused :lol:

Wednesday: Two old roses; both worked

Thursday: One new, one old; both worked

Friday: Two new, none work.

Is that correct?

orsm
Treebeard

Post by orsm »

blahblah wrote:I'm getting confused :lol:

Wednesday: Two old roses; both worked

Thursday: One new, one old; both worked

Friday: Two new, none work.

Is that correct?
Yes correct, I think that one of the 3 brown wires that are not connected is possibly a permanent live and needs to be connected the the connector block ?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Probably, the old pic has 3 connections - see the little plastic dividers plus the Earth.

Do any other lights NOT work?

My experience of lights is that it is a Black Art, and the best way to do it is with some masking tape and a pencil (to make sure the same was connected to the same) - but that was before these new fangled lil phone camera things :lol:

spoogehead
Grumpy Old Man

Post by spoogehead »

Looking at the ceiling rose pic:

3 brown wires = 1 is is the live supply from either the consumer unit or previous light fitting in the circuit
1 is the live feed to the next light in the circuit
1 is the live feed down to the switch

All of these wires MUST be connected together in a terminal block if you're taking them out of the rose to connect to new light fitting

2 wires on the left = Guessing these are the neutrals. 1 is from the previous fitting or consumer unit, the other is continuing the circuit to the next fitting (probably to the other light that comes on from the one switch. Neutrals are like the earth, keep them all together

2 wires on the right = One is the switch line (ie live when switched) I'm guessing the other is the live feed to the other light in the pair so both come on from the one switch

Earths together as you've done

Not sure what you've done with the 3 brown wires but as mentioned, you must keep these joined together properly for everything to work

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

spoogehead wrote:
Not sure what you've done with the 3 brown wires but as mentioned, you must keep these joined together properly for everything to work
I'm not an electrician but I'm good at maths and noticed myself that you had a deficiency of wires in the second picture. 8-)

You've not thrown them away have you ORSM :lol:

Them's your lives them are.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It has been a while, he might have found them :lol: :lol:

orsm
Treebeard

Post by orsm »

blahblah wrote:It has been a while, he might have found them :lol: :lol:
I'm here :D

On the other rose ceiling fixture that I changed I was told on an electricians web site to NOT connect the brown wires and tape them up, (earth to earth, 2 blue to blue, black switched live to brown) tape off the browns from ceiling)
The second fixture that Im asking you guys about the response was the following
"As before the three browns are permanent live. The two with blue sleeves are the neutrals, and this time there are two switched lives both with brown sleeves. These go together with the brown of your new fitting"
It did not say about connecting the browns, think that's where Ive gone wrong :)
So it looks like I am going to need a bigger connector block and replicate the pic above !
Thanks for replying !!!

spoogehead
Grumpy Old Man

Post by spoogehead »

Good grief, what sort of electrician's forum was this :lol:

Your first top pic is wired correctly, just add another terminal block and put the 3 browns TOGETHER in that - don't connect anything else into this, just tape it up with insulation tape, stick it up into the ceiling void and forget about it.

Can you post a photo of the second rose and I'll confirm what you need to do

orsm
Treebeard

Post by orsm »

All sorted we have lights that go on and go off 8-)

Thanks guys,

:P

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”