To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Play the Game 08/09

A forum for news and comment on The Times' Play The Game fantasy football game.
Wombles
Cheetah

Play the Game 08/09

Post by Wombles »

Times Fantasy Football Advanced has launched today (Play The Game). Same game as last year and looks much better. Made a few improvements and player selection seems to have been addressed. This looks a good game and it's FREE!!!! :D

Are we getting a FISO league together?

Not our Donna
FISOhead

Re: Play the Game 08/09

Post by Not our Donna »

I'd love to join a FISO league.

TradeMarc
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 79th - OFL Champions League (07/08); 152nd - UCL Fantasy Football (07/08)

Post by TradeMarc »

Im in if a FISO league is created

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

I payed 3 quid for mine. When did it change? :?

lucanjerry
Red & Blue Braces

Post by lucanjerry »

Not our Donna wrote:I'd love to join a FISO league.
Plus 1... willing to give this a shot...

Any way of seeing the rules, without submitting a team to a generic League???

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

I'm a huge advocate of PTG 8-)

The draft concept is an interesting introduction to FF (although already common place in the States) plus the scoring system is significantly different from FPL / TFF, therefore demanding different tactics. The other main distinction is that all teams are completely different ... rather than Fab? Check. Gerrard? Check. etc each player can only be selected once. The potential for inter-team transfers also adds some extra spice ... fingers crossed we'll see a bit more action on this front :P

I've set up a FISO League - PM me for details :idea:

Limit is set to 10 - found this to be a good balance, although flexible depending on demand
Allocation set to Sunday 10th - This will allow a few days for transfers before the season kicks off
Currently auto-allocation - although could change to Live Draft if we're feeling adventurous / able to co-ordinate all members

I really enjoyed PTG last season ... so much so, I volunteered to moderate the forum :roll: The fact I was doing well probably helped too :lol: The only downer was when people lost interest :cry: Perhaps inevitable, but a few inactive members can make a big difference to a small group. Getting your head round the rules and putting a little time into selecting your draft will make all the difference - more than happy to discuss hint, tips and tactics 8-)

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

Post by dazedandconfused »

I'm interested, but only if it's a live online draft. You know it makes sense :D

:wink:

TradeMarc
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 79th - OFL Champions League (07/08); 152nd - UCL Fantasy Football (07/08)

Post by TradeMarc »

Yeah im up for this and I reckon Live Draft also, or maybe even auction! :D

Never done PTG before, loving the unique concept though.
Last edited by TradeMarc on 18 Jul 2008, 22:33, edited 4 times in total.

TradeMarc
Kevin and Perry

Post by TradeMarc »

shogun wrote:I payed 3 quid for mine. When did it change? :?

There are actually 2 different Times games -

Times Fantasy Football (£3)
http://www.fantasyfootball.timesonline.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

Times Play The Game (Free)
http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/so ... _login.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Confused me at first but I got there in the end :?

TradeMarc
Kevin and Perry

Post by TradeMarc »

lucanjerry wrote:
Not our Donna wrote:I'd love to join a FISO league.
Plus 1... willing to give this a shot...

Any way of seeing the rules, without submitting a team to a generic League???
I was wondering that aswell but only found out that all I had to do was hover the cursor over 'HOME' to open the options menu after I'd already put my team in a generic league :shock:

Good job that I found out you can enter up to 4 teams in the end :)

ted striker
Treebeard
FS Record: TFC Winner 2008, TFC FPT Winner 2008, TFC Runs Winner 2008 & 2010, TFC Wickets Winner 2007 & 2008

Post by ted striker »

I played this last year and really enjoyed the format. Trouble was I played in a public league and the quality of many of the players was quite poor. I would also be interested in joining a FISO league.

Papa Giddy
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd TFFO 07-08; 5th TFFO 06-07, Top scoring Eggcupper 07-08

Post by Papa Giddy »

Team in... Cheers Krispy for setting up the league 8-)

Not our Donna
FISOhead

Post by Not our Donna »

Given how the wish list thingy works and how time consuming it would be to properly rank the players I must say I'd prefer a live draw as well. For me, the current date of August 10th would be perfect :D

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

Ok, we're up to 6 8-) ... 4 places remaining

It would appear that the general consensus if for a live draw ... should be interesting. 8-)

10 managers x 20 players x 30 seconds a selection = could take us 1.5hr+? Group conversation on MSN? Lock the door and crack open a few beers?

"SNAKE" SYSTEM

The usual method is to draw lots for allocation order, with the order reversed for even-numbered rounds. So in a six-team league, players pick in the order 1-2-3-4-5-6 in the first round, and 6-5-4-3-2-1 in the second. Then back to number one again to start the third round and so on. This is what our computer does when it allocates players automatically. The order "snakes" backwards and forwards and gives Managers at the end of the allocation order the compensation of being first to pick in even-numbered rounds.

The task is similar, in some ways, to the one you had in the school playground as you and a friend picked up sides for a kick-about. First to go were the stars of the school team. Last were the unknown quantities - the new kids that no-one had seen play before. But in this case, instead of picking from among your schoolmates and their little brothers, you will be choosing from the cream of the talent in the Premier League. And the other big difference is that there will be more than one other person picking the opposition!

The proven quality of Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney and Cesc Fabregas means that they will be among the first players chosen. The new boys are the foreign imports, and the players of the newly-promoted clubs. How long before someone takes a chance on them? Will Dean Windass be worth a pick? Will Deco deliver?

We decided to pick the Times in-house league along these lines, as you will find out when you read our fantasy supplement in TheGame on Monday July 28th.

I copied last years stats into excel format ... might be useful when deciding your list

ted striker
Treebeard
FS Record: TFC Winner 2008, TFC FPT Winner 2008, TFC Runs Winner 2008 & 2010, TFC Wickets Winner 2007 & 2008

Post by ted striker »

Saturday 10th is ok for me too, though I could do any Sat/Sun in August except 16th. I think we need to agree the date and time as soon as possible if we are doing the live auction, to give us time to break the news to our families.

Krispy
Grumpy Bald Man

Post by Krispy »

ted striker wrote:Saturday 10th is ok for me too, though I could do any Sat/Sun in August except 16th. I think we need to agree the date and time as soon as possible if we are doing the live auction, to give us time to break the news to our families.
I propose Sunday 10th Aug 8pm

After dinner and perfect for a little "me time" :P Main consideration will be those with family commitments / International FISOers (time difference)

wez
Wideboy

Post by wez »

Hi

Just to let you know, im thinking about giving this game another go. Let me know if you have space in the fiso league.

Just thought that i would mention that this game is quite time consuming to those out there considering playing.

Ps not sure how the player allocations work out yet, been busy looking into all the games im entering this year, but that weekend mentioned 10/11th i am good for at the moment.

ltomas
Cheetah

Post by ltomas »

LIGA FORUM PORTUGAL - 8000207

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Times' Play The Game (PTG)”