To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

Post by Zimmerman »

It’s like they almost HAD to choose someone no one expected, to fulfil the GoT mantra... I think some had predicted (or would have liked) Sansa.

So despite doing load of uncharacteristic (and cliched) stuff in the final season. It was their attempt at a shocking moment - something GoT is famous for.

It was shocking, I’ll give them that.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

eastcentral1 wrote: 21 May 2019, 16:29
Arch Stanton wrote: 21 May 2019, 09:08 Speaking of Tyrion did he suffer a brain injury? He went from being one of the shrewdest characters to one of the most dense, he literally couldn't get anything right and yes I know it was a show that featured dragons.
Actually, his plan to free Jaime, leading to the surrender of King's Landing, totally worked. He offered his queen the iron throne with minimal bloodshed. That's partly why it was so tragic when she ignored his plan.

I agree with those who say that the first half of the finale was excellent (Dany's speech on the steps, Tyrion chucking his brooch, Jon and Tyrion's talk), whereas the second half was a bit of a cop out. The second half, wrapping up everything somewhat implausibly, is just another symptom of the series not giving itself enough time or space.
Some people wanted another bloodbath episode to finish with, others wanted a well paced wrap-up for all the characters... again, they couldn’t win really! I thought it was a reasonable LOTR-style send-off ending for the main surviving characters, though might have expected a last minute (post-credits) mega-twist...

I do think the last two series could have been stretched to the standard 10 episodes each, even if it would have been a challenge to write with all the “peripheral” storylines gone. There was a bit of an obsession with having stand-alone cinematic battle episodes following BotB, at the expense of how they arrived at them.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 22 May 2019, 07:29 It’s like they almost HAD to choose someone no one expected, to fulfil the GoT mantra... I think some had predicted (or would have liked) Sansa.

So despite doing load of uncharacteristic (and cliched) stuff in the final season. It was their attempt at a shocking moment - something GoT is famous for.

It was shocking, I’ll give them that.
The question is, who does “they” refer to? Benioff and Weiss, presumably... but when GRRM was asked if his book ending will be the same, he said “yes and no...” So I suspect he gave them the key points. The journey there will be different, the fate of minor characters probably different, and he also referred to having to resolve characters not even seen on TV. But he’s seemingly not planning to have a totally different ending, like the White Walkers killing everyone, or Jon and Dany ruling together in peace and harmony...

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

How did Sansa know Brans dick didn't work :?:

Lister
Grumpy Old Baggie
FS Record: Won a few golf things a long time ago!!

Post by Lister »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 22 May 2019, 13:45 How did Sansa know Brans dick didn't work :?:
FFS I thought all the questions were answered :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Beerfuelledman wrote:How did Sansa know Brans dick didn't work :?:
This is Westeros, not just the Targaeryans and Lannisters with narrow family trees.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I like this alternative take on the ending...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Quality :lol: 8-)

Ralfbergs
FISO Knight
FS Record: Murfs Premiership Predictions Knockout Cup 13/14 Winner

Post by Ralfbergs »

I just hope the books, when Martin finishes them, will be better than this letdown of a season :?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Ralfbergs wrote: 24 May 2019, 22:07 I just hope the books, when Martin finishes them, will be better than this letdown of a season :?
I think the word is “if” :wink:

Sounds like those hoping for a totally different ending will be disappointed, even if he does finish them... I guess the reason he’s taken so long is that it’s incredibly difficult to get where he wants to in a way that he’s satisfied with, and that fans will be satisfied with. The response the TV series has had only adds to that challenge, even if he doesn’t have the constraints of screen time and actor/battle scene budget.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Zimmerman wrote:
Nailed it. Image

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep absolutely to a tee!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

They didn't answer BFM's question.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Zimmerman wrote:
In tears watching that. Really really funny and so true too.

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

I enjoyed the season and the final episode. Jon ended up happy with his wilding “Family”, Dany died (she had to!), Sansa became queen and gained independence and Bran become king because he was the most impartial one left!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I don’t think anyone has a massive issue with the end result.... it’s just how they arrived at it.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

That was a very funny video, very well done indeed. They're right though, all the story packed into 6 episodes could easily, easily have been expanded to two seasons. Why did they force everything into S8? Actor's demanding too much pay? Writers wanting to do something else?

The Daenerys thing definitely needed longer to show her being corrupted, and I'd actually forgotten about the Jamie (lack of) redemption arc - at the time that was disappointing, and it was a bit confusing how Brienne then wrote him a glowing reference despite him eventually failing to change from S1E01. Still, the things we do for love, eh?

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

It's also a real pity that they stuck the Jaime / Brienne shag in there right before he returned to Cersei. Turned out to be gratuitous in all senses of the word, and ruined what had been a great relationship between the two.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

eastcentral1 wrote:It's also a real pity that they stuck the Jaime / Brienne shag in there right before he returned to Cersei. Turned out to be gratuitous in all senses of the word, and ruined what had been a great relationship between the two.
True. Found it far more believable that he'd go back to Cersei. I even didn't feel it wrecked any 'redemption arc' as he did nothing wrong (other than dump Brienne and go back for incest - all explainable through love).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 25 May 2019, 23:43
eastcentral1 wrote:It's also a real pity that they stuck the Jaime / Brienne shag in there right before he returned to Cersei. Turned out to be gratuitous in all senses of the word, and ruined what had been a great relationship between the two.
True. Found it far more believable that he'd go back to Cersei. I even didn't feel it wrecked any 'redemption arc' as he did nothing wrong (other than dump Brienne and go back for incest - all explainable through love).
Yeah, it’s fair enough that it wasn’t a conventional “redemption arc”. While he wasn’t always the villain we saw in the first episode, to turn him into a pure redeemed hero would never have felt right either. One of the great things about GoT is that you would change your mind about characters over the course of episodes and series, and the direction of travel between good and evil wasn’t always one way.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

It was also presented as if Jaime was doing her a favour, bestowing full womanhood on her, which was patronising/patriarchal/misogynistic/everyday sexism (delete as applicable).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

GoT in 73 seconds (insert your own joke about it being less rushed than the last two series :wink: )

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Can I recommend "The Last Watch". A 2 hour documentary on the making of the last series. Looks a lot at make up artists, extras etc but you do see some stars. Really good to see just how much goes on beyond the scenes and watch the Undead buy coffees to keep warm.

At the first script read through it suggests the script ends as Jon kills Dany....

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

Really enjoyed it and a couple of really interesting points I took from it.

The sheer scale of the bloody thing, having to recreate parts of Dubrovnik (Kings Landing) in a Belfast Car park because the City understandably wouldn't let you blow it to pieces is just insane.

The first table read ends at Dany's death and they clearly filmed multiple endings as they had J'aaqen, Waif and NK at the Dragonpit when filming the monarch choosing ceremony in Seville. Makes you wonder what those other endings were to be...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

David Luiz Is A Hero wrote: 31 May 2019, 13:33 they clearly filmed multiple endings as they had J'aaqen, Waif and NK at the Dragonpit when filming the monarch choosing ceremony in Seville. Makes you wonder what those other endings were to be...
I think they said they were just there as a 'bluff'. Kit Harrington was there too and said he knew he wasn't filming anything (he wasn't at the "Council Of Surviving Cast Members" if you recall).

PS Kit is Jon Snow. Loved how they had a "Head of Snow" in the crew :lol: (fake white stuff, not Jon) - and they couldn't film during the Beast From The East cos the fake snow wouldn't sit on the real snow...

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Maybe the whole Council scene was a terrible mistake - Jon Snow was meant to be annointed King but Kit Harrington thought it was a decoy scene, so he didn't turn up for the shoot. They didn't have time to re-shoot it and the rest is history :P

DavidLloydIsAHero
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2014/15 1757th FPL
Formerly David Luiz Is A Hero

Post by DavidLloydIsAHero »

murf wrote: 31 May 2019, 13:42
David Luiz Is A Hero wrote: 31 May 2019, 13:33 they clearly filmed multiple endings as they had J'aaqen, Waif and NK at the Dragonpit when filming the monarch choosing ceremony in Seville. Makes you wonder what those other endings were to be...
I think they said they were just there as a 'bluff'. Kit Harrington was there too and said he knew he wasn't filming anything (he wasn't at the "Council Of Surviving Cast Members" if you recall).

PS Kit is Jon Snow. Loved how they had a "Head of Snow" in the crew :lol: (fake white stuff, not Jon) - and they couldn't film during the Beast From The East cos the fake snow wouldn't sit on the real snow...
The only thing that makes me think they filmed is that J'aaqen and the waif were in full costume on the clip they showed

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Would have been to throw spy drones etc. a red herring or two! As I always maintained before, Jaquen was just a plot device for Arya. A bit disappointed she didn’t make use of the faces in season 8 though!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

The telling moment in the documentary is when one of the women (think she might have been responsible for the locations)... said they had grown so big they couldn’t do anymore (such was the scale). Might be an inkling in to why they cut it so abruptly short?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”