To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: Blanks, DGWs, and those pesky chips (18/19) - Summary in OP

Post by Stemania »

The Chelsea result has only some very small implications:

1) Brighton's potential DGW36/37 now entirely depends on whether or not they beat Millwall
2) Chelsea can no longer have a DGW in GW36/37 (this was unlikely anyway)
3) Only if Swansea beat City AND Millwall beat Brighton could Chelsea's DGW not fall in GW32

I probably won't get round to updating the percentage likelihoods in the first post of the thread, since it doesn't change the percentages very much at all and we find out everything fully this weekend, apologies. :)

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Stemania wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 22:17 The Chelsea result has only some very small implications:

Is this right? The QFs are in GW33/34. They have to win that to get the SF in GW36/37. Or am I missing something?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Bobby Fetta wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 22:38
Stemania wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 22:17 The Chelsea result has only some very small implications:

Is this right? The QFs are in GW33/34. They have to win that to get the SF in GW36/37. Or am I missing something?
The FA are announcing all the fixtures before the QFs take place, effectively making the QFs act as the actual blockers, the SFs.

Bobby Fetta
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Bobby Fetta »

Stemania wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 22:40 The FA are announcing all the fixtures before the QFs take place, effectively making the QFs act as the actual blockers, the SFs.
Ha, I knew there would be something. Your knowledge of this stuff is very impressive. Thanks!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

johnjoe107 wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 18:35
Eldorado fenomeno wrote:
johnjoe107 wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 12:32 Need some advice. What is the best strategy?

Free Hit GW32 & Wildcard GW33

Or

Wildcard GW32 & Free Hit GW33

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going for WC32 & FH33 - packing ManUTD, Wolves and City players.
Manutd and Wolves are not playing on GW33, but come back with strong GW34 & GW35 fixtures.
Thinking about it, it doesn't it really matter in what order you use Free Hit and Wildcard in GW32 & 33? Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You either FH or WC for the BGW's or DGW's so it is relevant. There are wiser owls thsn me, but after this GW Citeh and MU have an extra match so stack up on them via WC....

WC for this GW is madness unless you think Bou and Lei will rock until the end of the season with Lpool and Vardy. Oh and Newcastle....

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Reviewing the CL/EL Draw

If Brighton beat Millwall this weekend then it is going to seriously advantage Spurs (and disadvantage City) in the CL. City will have to play on Saturday 6/4 before the 1st leg on 9/4 while Spurs would have a blank weekend.

On the other hand, this would be good for FPL purposes. It would mean that City would be much more likely to rest players in the FAC on 6/4 (assumes they beat Swansea) rather than in DGW32. Especially if they don't draw United in the SF, but probably even then as United will also have CL the following week. So, strangely enough I think the CL draw makes City players more attractive because GW34 won't be hugely pressurised either as they have the favourable Tuesday-Wednesday CL schedule.

Spurs also have that favoured schedule and how useful they are going to be for FPL probably quite depends on the Brighton result. If Brighton lose to Millwall then GW33 onwards will be very nice for Spurs, no blanks, no great rotation pressure on GW34, a decent double to come in GW35 (well, one good game anyway) and a kind 36-38. If Brighton beat Millwall then it's less good for Spurs for immediate purposes because they'd then blank in GW33. But GW34 onwards look quite good for Spurs assets either way for those wildcarding then. If only one of the GW35 games wasn't mci. :? That's the off-putting bit. But Spurs tend to show up after the event and if City beat them over 2 legs in the CL (as expected) then it would be quite like Spurs to end the season strongly after that.

United have the dreaded Wednesday-Tuesday CL draw. That means 10/4 Barça, 13/4 GW34, 16/4 Barça. GW34 is the home game against West Ham and you'd have to expect severe rotation risk for that fixture, so much so that I'd say that United assets could well be next to useless after DGW32 (being that GW33 is blank, GW34 a big rotation risk and GW35-6 are very tough fixtures).

Liverpool also have the tougher CL schedule but a couple of conveniently-placed Friday games will help them a lot and they are also completely unaffected by the FAC or any fixture compression related to it. There will be a temptation for people to lose Liverpool assets when wildcarding in GW34 because they play Chelsea that week and then have no DGW in 35. Will be an interesting quandary for those setting up the GW35 BB because the budget released by shedding Liverpool players will go a long way but they may well find themselves scrabbling to get them back in GW36 and even the GW35 game is one in which they could do some serious damage.

Chelsea are a bit harder to assess. Obviously 31-33 are great for them given the excellent DGW32 (which is next to certain now) and no blanks. A lot depends on how strong a team Sarri wants to put out in the EL against Slavia Praha on 11/4. It was probably the easiest draw they could get (Praha are ranked 72 in Europe by UEFA) and the 1st leg is sandwiched tightly between GW33 (WHU) and GW34 (liv). My guess is that Sarri will continue to deploy the squad in the EL (for this game anyway), knowing that the 2nd leg is at home. The pressure may not be on for Chelsea until the SF stage and they may not be seriously affected for FPL purposes until GW37/38 (assuming they make the SF).

For Arsenal a lot depends on how the Napoli games go. There is no particular schedule pressure on them in GW32 & 33 and the fixtures are nice (though no DGW in 32). It is 34 (wat) when the pressure will hit, exactly the wrong moment for those wildcarding that week. And GW35, though it is a certain DGW of CPL wol, could be affected as well. Arsenal play the 2nd leg against Napoli 3 days before the 1st GW35 fixture and would then have to play again 3 days later (or maybe 4 days later if the Wolves game is played on a Thursday, which it might be). Who knows what will happen here? They might well be coming out of an extremely tough game against Napoli (you can't see them going through easily anyway) and that would create tiredness and rotation risk. They might well have been beaten in Italy and be somewhat demoralised. Either way it's bloody awkward for people like me that would consider the TC in 35 (when Arsenal have the best fixtures on paper). I'd almost go so far as to say that's a dead option as a result of the tough EL draw Arsenal have, quite different to what things would have looked like had they failed to go through last night.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 17:12 Reviewing the CL/EL Draw
Nice post :mrgreen: - thanks Ruth - will be reading again.

Thanks also to Stem, and all, who make this such a superb thread - helping make sense, maybe, of what's going on :D

I don't remember this period of the season being this confusing before :?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Great analysis Ruth. :)

I don't think Arsenal players are quite write-offs for DGW35, but it is a tough draw for them. Depends how close they are to the CL places by then, as that will surely be their priority.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Stemania wrote: Great analysis Ruth. :)

I don't think Arsenal players are quite write-offs for DGW35, but it is a tough draw for them. Depends how close they are to the CL places by then, as that will surely be their priority.
Thanks.

Emery has big history with the EL and it has a CL place. I'm sure Chelsea want to win it and I'm pretty sure Arsenal do too. I don't think the idea of prioritising 4th place will be the case at either club come GW34, not unless Napoli beat Arsenal badly at the Emirates in the first leg.

Poison Idea
Treebeard
FS Record: Decent

Post by Poison Idea »

The opening post to this thread is marvelous. Thank you Stemania.

In a social media world full of dull pictures and stupid one-liners, FISO is really something else.

Good luck with your Endspiel to all.

carlitobrigante
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: shite

Post by carlitobrigante »

In terms of DGW32, should we know (or pretty much know) the fixtures tonight?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

So

1) No DGWs for Newcastle.
2) Just one DGW for Palace (vs Spurs, in GW32 if BHA beat MIL or GW35 if MIL beat BHA) and one blank in GW31.
3) Two DGWs for Watford in some order yet to be determined (vs Southampton & Fulham).
4) One DGW for Fulham - see (3) - and a blank in GW33.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Watford will have a particularly nice DGW in GW35:

Away to Huddersfield
Home to Fulham or Southamption

Perhaps some good BB options there, and I'm sure Deulofeu will be on a few radars!

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Stemania wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 14:22 I'm sure Deulofeu will be on a few radars!
Triple captain? :mrgreen:

um09a2k
Grumpy Old Man

Post by um09a2k »

For those playing FH32, am I right in saying it makes sense to activate the chip now and get in the players you want in case you get priced out later in the week?

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

um09a2k wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 16:05 For those playing FH32, am I right in saying it makes sense to activate the chip now and get in the players you want in case you get priced out later in the week?
Sounds right - plays just like a WC in that respect - (except you getting your previous team back the following week with the FH - and WC you the current one)

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Stemania wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 14:22 Watford will have a particularly nice DGW in GW35:

Away to Huddersfield
Home to Fulham or Southamption

Perhaps some good BB options there, and I'm sure Deulofeu will be on a few radars!

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

um09a2k wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 16:05 For those playing FH32, am I right in saying it makes sense to activate the chip now and get in the players you want in case you get priced out later in the week?
I'd be tempted to make the transfers and not hit the button yet. As small a chance as there is, there must be some weird international break injury circumstances where WC32 FH33 could be better?

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

Stemania wrote: 16 Mar 2019, 17:41
I'd be tempted to make the transfers and not hit the button yet. As small a chance as there is, there must be some weird international break injury circumstances where WC32 FH33 could be better?
Just remember to hit some button at some point!

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

I'm holding off until the fog clears a bit and for this reason also. Will either play the FH or WC - but undecided right now.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

So, not only do we definitely have for GW32

Cardiff (CHE, mci)
Man City (ful, CAR)

but also by implication the result confirms in GW32 the doubles

Brighton (SOT, che)
Chelsea (car, BHA)

yttod1010
FISOhead

Post by yttod1010 »

When will gw32 fixtures be announced

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

I'm interested, which possible injury circumstances would force you to WC32 instead of FH32? Surely WC/FH decision in this case is made on the basis of BGW/DGW fixtures, and they won't change in any circumstance?

edit. Yeah, possibly if many of your GW33 players get injured?
Last edited by Finisher1 on 16 Mar 2019, 20:05, edited 4 times in total.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

yttod1010 wrote: When will gw32 fixtures be announced
Probably Monday. Latest Tuesday.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 21:39
Aldershot Rejects wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 20:16
Nailer6245 wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 17:07 Assuming that most of the top 100k still have their FH chip left, what % do you think will play it now in BGW31?

It seems that many (myself included) will have 9/10 out this week, covering the most important bases: Hazard, Salah, Vardy, Rob/TAA, Wilson, Fraser, etc. I'm not too worried about losing ground on FHers who have an extra chelsea defender or maybe an extra Bournemouth attacker, but I'm curious as to how many players that will be. If it's more than 20-30% I'd be surprised.
I don't think 20-30% will be far out.
I don’t have the Top-100k figures.
FPL Discovery reports on Overall and Top-10k. The proportion of Free Hits left are very similar at 75% and 78%.
So we can reasonably presume that around three quarters of the Top-100k will also have it to play.
Will a third of them use it in GW31 (25% of sample)? That sounds a bit high to me
There was a significant difference between Top-10k and overall use of the Free Hit Chip in GW31.
9.7% of overall live teams used the Chip this week.
That rose to 24.8% of the Top-10k, very close to the figures being discussed in the week. That is higher than I anticipated. You Nailered it!

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

Here's the situation going into today - the result of Brighton vs Millwall makes a reasonable difference:

'Confirmed' GW32 Doubles:
Brighton (SOT, che)
Cardiff (CHE, mci)
Chelsea (car, BHA)
Man City (ful, CAR)
Man United (WAT, wol)
Watford (mun, FUL/SOT)
Wolves (bur, MUN)

Undetermined GW32 Doubles
Fulham (MCI, wat) -- scheduling coin flip (32 or 35)
Palace (HUD, tot) -- if BHA beat MIL
Southampton (bha, wat) -- scheduling coin flip (32 or 35)
Tottenham (liv, CRY) -- if BHA beat MIL

----------------------------------------------

Confirmed GW33 Blanks:
Cardiff, Fulham, Man City, Man United, Watford, Wolves

Undetermined GW33 Fixtures:
Tottenham vs Brighton -- blank if BHA beat MIL (would go into GW35)

'Confirmed' GW35 Doubles:
Arsenal (CRY, wol)
Brighton (wol, CAR/tot)
Man City (TOT, mun)
Man United (eve, MCI)
Tottenham (mci, BHA/CRY)
Watford (hud, FUL/SOT)
Wolves (BHA, ARS)

Undetermined GW35 Doubles:
Cardiff (LIV, bha) -- if MIL beat BHA
Fulham (bou, wat) -- scheduling coin flip (32 or 35)
Palace (ars, tot) -- if MIL beat BHA
Southampton (new, wat) -- scheduling coin flip (32 or 35)

Undetermined GW36/37 Doubles:
Brighton (NEW/ars, CAR) -- if BHA beat MIL
Cardiff (ful/CRY, bha) -- if BHA beat MIL

Edit (Could also go in GW33/34)

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Fluked first season

Post by No Way Jose »

You’re a legend stem!

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Stemania wrote: Here's the situation going into today - the result of Brighton vs Millwall makes a reasonable difference:

'Confirmed' GW32 Doubles:
Brighton (SOT, che)
Cardiff (CHE, mci)
Chelsea (car, BHA)
Man City (ful, CAR)
Man United (WAT, wol)
Watford (mun, FUL/SOT)
Wolves (bur, MUN)

Undetermined GW32 Doubles
Fulham (MCI, wat) -- scheduling coin flip (32 or 35)
Palace (HUD, tot) -- if BHA beat MIL
Southampton (bha, wat) -- scheduling coin flip (32 or 35)
Tottenham (liv, CRY) -- if BHA beat MIL

etc.
Thanks Stemania, you have done a great job with this this season.

I think the Watford double in GW32 needs viewing with some caution. Gracia has made no secret that Watford are prioritising the FA Cup now and he rested players against City before the QF, in fact a whole week before the QF. Watford's most attractive game in GW32 (FUL or SOT) will be on 2/4 or 3/4 before the SF on 6/4 or 7/4 so there is going to be some considerable selection uncertainty for that game. May put Deulofeu out of contention, for example, and even Foster (who I'd quite like to have) could possibly be at risk. :?

Edit: in fact I wonder whether that scenario might not affect Wolves and Brighton (if they get through) as well. Brighton maybe less so because they are relegation-threatened. But a FAC SF will be huge for Wolves. As a result of them beating United, I really can't see the likes of Doherty starting twice in GW32.
It's the reverse case for City, of course, because the FAC is their least important priority and they will doubtless rest players in the SF ahead of the CL the following Tuesday. Making DGW32 less of a pressure point, as noted earlier.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

Stemania wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 11:06 Here's the situation going into today - the result of Brighton vs Millwall makes a reasonable difference:
So with many of the big teams missing 33 and have a double in 32, would it make more sense to WC for 32 and FH in 33? Because I was planning to use the FH now for 32 and WC for 33 :?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

The Real Slim Shady wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 16:11 So with many of the big teams missing 33 and have a double in 32, would it make more sense to WC for 32 and FH in 33? Because I was planning to use the FH now for 32 and WC for 33 :?
Probably not, but depends a little on the Brighton result I guess - anyone who has not played a chip this week will presumably have a strong team already for GW33 already since both blanks consist of roughly the same teams.

If Brighton lose to Millwall (so Spurs have no blank GW33) then the call is probably closer. We'd then have both Arsenal & Spurs playing in GW33, but not this week, so maybe you could find some value in a FH33. I'll be FH32-ing whatever the result of the Brighton game as I think I have 13(!) for GW33 already (inc Puncheon).

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”