To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Sala passenger on crashed plane?

A forum for discussion on Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Sala passenger on crashed plane?

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

sstaffsw
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Sala passenger on crashed plane?

Post by sstaffsw »

Terrible news, whoever was on board :(

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

That link not working but it has been confirmed he WAS on board the missing plane.
That's Cardiff City's club-record signing Emiliano Sala (not Mo Salah)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe ... y-46954922

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

You have to wonder why clubs would allow their players to hop around Europe on 2-seater aircraft...

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The story just seems stranger the more you hear. I assumed at first it was his own plane, or a friend’s... but turns out he was flying on a rickety old light aircraft in stormy weather, flown by a 60-year-old part time pilot from Scunthorpe. Suggestions his agent arranged it, but just seems hard to comprehend that a travel arrangement like that could materialise for a multi million pound footballer. :? I wonder if the circumstances will ever fully come out.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Stop reading the wrong tabloids.

1. 60 is nothing
2. Plane looks fine to me (pic on BBC story)
3. Weather wasn't that bad according to searchers (they said it got worse after disappearance)
4. Yeah, I'll give you Scunthorpe....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

60 is not old in most contexts, but don’t commercial pilots have to retire earlier than that?

Anyway, suggestions now he might not have been licenced for the flight. Who knows where this leaves them in terms of insurance etc. even though there’s no suggestion Cardiff had anything to do with the travel arrangement.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The 59 year old only had a private pilot licence apparently. Plane was registered in US and makes it illegal to profit from flying.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Front page news here, as Nantes is one of the local big teams. Photo's have taken up the whole front page.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Cardiff’s request to extend the transfer window has apparently been rejected by the Premier League.

If it were a big six club, I’m sure the verdict would have been different.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

forestfan wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 11:50 Cardiff’s request to extend the transfer window has apparently been rejected by the Premier League.

Was wondering if Spurs could do something nice and loan Janssen to Cardiff until the end of the season. If he really isn't in Spurs' plans even in an injury crisis, why not do them a favour?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

raoul wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 12:18
forestfan wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 11:50 Cardiff’s request to extend the transfer window has apparently been rejected by the Premier League.

Was wondering if Spurs could do something nice and loan Janssen to Cardiff until the end of the season. If he really isn't in Spurs' plans even in an injury crisis, why not do them a favour?
I was wondering if Solskjaer might find it in him to do them a favour... not quite sure who they have that would be dispensable though, in terms of strikers.

I think they had brought in Niasse on loan from Everton already, before the Sala deal concluded, so were clearly after significantly strengthening up front (given they had on occasions been playing a defender up there).

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

That's more a slap in the face than a helping hand.

Maybe Liverpool could lend them Sturridge? he at least could be useful.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Magic wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 12:04

That's more a slap in the face than a helping hand.

Maybe Liverpool could lend them Sturridge? he at least could be useful.
Didn't they also sign Niasse from Everton so they have one new forward.

Also Liverpool need Sturridge. I think Origi is lower in the pecking order and could go somewhere....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Apparently a few strikers approached in the past week weren’t keen to join them given the circumstances.

If they weren’t managed by Colin, I’d be calling for them to be given exemption from relegation this season...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:Apparently a few strikers approached in the past week weren’t keen to join them given the circumstances.

If they weren’t managed by Colin, I’d be calling for them to be given exemption from relegation this season...
Why? Take emotion out of it and it is no different to Sala breaking his leg and arguably better than him turning out to be a useless CK.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 08:22 Take emotion out of it
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is the 21st Century and we have to share everyone else's grief etc: I'm surprised that there hasnt been a Campaugn to make them exempt from relegation this season :wink:

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Exactly. These days the world of football amongst other worlds is full of over-sentimental expressions of grief, joy etc. Can't be long before any game doesn't have a minute's silence and black armbands. Mawkish would be an under-statement, especially when in some situations the likes of the FA, clubs etc seem to act in line with political correctness rather than with sincerity. The Leicester tragedy was somewhat different inasmuch as it was solidly based on real grief of a lot of people, but even there, there was an outer ring of politically correct "grievers".

If this was "the worst week" of Warnock's life he must have had an extremely easy life!! Naturally having met Sala a few times he was extremely sad, but his utterances have been exaggerated.

For Sala's family this has been a terrible few days and their public utterances have been far more dignified than those of many of those with minimal or zero connection to Sala.

Every life lost unnecessarily is a personal tragedy for their nearest and dearest but the rest of us must keep things in perspective especially when most of us do absolutely nothing to alleviate mass tragedies such as whole communities starving to death which we could all ameliorate if we were truly concerned with the welfare of those who we don't know.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

It is a strange set of circumstances for Cardiff, given he was a player who never actually played for them and who others at the club would have met once or twice, at most.

The fact players don't want to join as his "replacement" is perhaps understandable, but the club probably wouldn't want to accept favours anyway. I mean, even Chapecoense declined immunity from relegation, I believe...

I was thinking, if they do go down and don't come back for a while, Sala will probably remain their record signing for many years, a sad curiosity in the record books.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Striker wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 15:19 Exactly. These days the world of football amongst other worlds is full of over-sentimental expressions of grief, joy etc. Can't be long before any game doesn't have a minute's silence and black armbands. Mawkish would be an under-statement, especially when in some situations the likes of the FA, clubs etc seem to act in line with political correctness rather than with sincerity. The Leicester tragedy was somewhat different inasmuch as it was solidly based on real grief of a lot of people, but even there, there was an outer ring of politically correct "grievers".

If this was "the worst week" of Warnock's life he must have had an extremely easy life!! Naturally having met Sala a few times he was extremely sad, but his utterances have been exaggerated.

For Sala's family this has been a terrible few days and their public utterances have been far more dignified than those of many of those with minimal or zero connection to Sala.

Every life lost unnecessarily is a personal tragedy for their nearest and dearest but the rest of us must keep things in perspective especially when most of us do absolutely nothing to alleviate mass tragedies such as whole communities starving to death which we could all ameliorate if we were truly concerned with the welfare of those who we don't know.

Pretty much nailed it.

Do the Press\TVs report the deaths of homeless and\or old people in winter in our so-called civilised society in the 21st Century? Or just cars stuck in traffic, schools being closed etc? Or mud slides in far away "uncivilised" countries? Or explaining what the ffff a Polar Vortex, or whatever it is called?

I actually think there is some perverse feel good factor about stuff like this, which I don't understand, so I can't explain.....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

News is reported based on public interest... one celebrity will always outweigh hundreds of people far away that we know nothing about. Who are we to judge people on which stories happen to generate that interest, there’s lots of bigger factors on which to judge people.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

That Dam breaking is getting plenty of air time?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It seems they may not have had the Insurance in place as they are delaying even the first payment until an Investigation..... according to Auntie.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Blimey Striker you have summed up with uncanny accuracy many of the thoughts I have had regarding football and various associated and non associated events of late.

It's all very sad in lots of different ways.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

blahblah wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 17:02 It seems they may not have had the Insurance in place as they are delaying even the first payment until an Investigation..... according to Auntie.
I presume Nantes insurance ended on sale. So nobody is covered. Hope he (And pilot) had life cover so families get looked after.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

A sad postscript - Emiliano Sala's father has died of a heart attack, 3 months after his son.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Football Talk & Events”