To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FISO Members League 2018/19

A Forum for all Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Links, Mini-Leagues and Side Games (i.e. inter-FISO competitions run by FISO users)
Tacalabala
FISO Knight

FISO Members League 2018/19

Post by Tacalabala »

A lot of people said last season that FISO should have a league only for signed up members, unlike the Official league which anyone can join even if not a member. You can now get the join code for the all-new Members League by registering via the Sidegame Entry Portal:

https://goo.gl/forms/YTyB3uIcdPNx2cBi1

Entrants: Click here (see tab at bottom of spreadsheet)
Last edited by Tacalabala on 23 Oct 2018, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Re: FISO Members League

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Is there a non-Google ID way of doing this? Thanks

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Yep, just PM me your team URL 🙂

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

In

hope just joining the league on FPL is what's needed - else Yes please

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Tacalabala wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 12:37 Yep, just PM me your team URL 🙂
Have PM'd you too

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

When I click on the link it says I am already in. :D

So am I already in? :?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Spinynorman wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 23:38 When I click on the link it says I am already in. :D

Yes that's why it appears on your Leagues on FPL.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Tacalabala wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 00:32
Spinynorman wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 23:38 When I click on the link it says I am already in. :D

Yes that's why it appears on your Leagues on FPL.

Fair enough. :)

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Entrants list added

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Tacalabala wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 00:30Entrants list added
it would need updates (from time to time)
102 in the list, 122 now in the league

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Could Will OShea pm me please?

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 16:27 Could Will OShea pm me please?
Presumably you also saw the tweet from FFS?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Neath boy wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 16:37
Beerfuelledman wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 16:27 Could Will OShea pm me please?
Presumably you also saw the tweet from FFS?
The Tang interview??

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Tacalabala wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 23:29 A lot of people said last season that FISO should have a league only for signed up members,
unlike the Official league which anyone can join even if not a member.

Entrants: Click here (see tab at bottom of spreadsheet)
had in mind to post an assessment sooner or later
Neath boy wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 13:54
MoSe wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 13:06 top 2 non-League Fisoers Neath boy and Punty are just inside Top1k overall, they'd insert in Fiso Top10 ahead Stena Bib
I thought I was in the FISO league?
Neath boy wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 13:57 I am in the FISO Members League

Is there another one!
the above pressed me on, although with the impending GW15 deadline it's not the most convenient time...

Members League GW14 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
including:
  • the complete Fiso 18/19 team owners list known to me atm
    those whose team I knew in 17/18 but lost track this season (...didn't bend backwards to investigate)
    a breakdown by how many are either in Forum/Member/both/none, posted in pic here too
    FISO 18-19 Forum-Member Leagues gw14.gif

Taca updated the Entrants List recently, with 124 items
there are currently 121 teams in the Members League
three in excess in the List:
  • DAREEL and taivt have left it
    Kofeex has a duplicated entry with two team names
goooner is in as goooners
_________

assessment and personal considerations tomorrow :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

first of all
Vid wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 16:57 A reminder to everyone regarding the Forum Rules regarding Leagues and Side Games, especially where cash and/ or prizes are involved!
it basically says that
you can have many SDT fantasy football private league in Fiso, but only one is the FISO Official SDT FF League
you can have many TFF fantasy football private league in Fiso, but only one is the FISO Official TFF FF League
same for Fantasy Cricket, or Golf, or Horses, in each game there's supposed (? I have no idea of the structure of all the above Fantasy games) to be only one Official Fiso League

thus in FPL too, we can have as many Private FPL Leagues as we like, but only one remains the FISO Official FPL League

It has been there since the site started, or since the FPL forum started...
I actually only tracked back to 05/06, without entering the Archives
  • first I had partially researched the yearly Forum League registration topics, as they were connected to the Divisionals sidegame history
    then I expanded the historical search and reported my findings in a post in my own RMT viewtopic.php?p=3196997#p3196997
at first it was called "Elite", then it became "the FISO Forum"
up until 12/13, you had to "register" your team with a post, and the post by itself revealed 1. that you were a Fiso member 2. WHO you were
I'm not sure how long it had been actually enforced, but I understood that at least in the first few season the Official League admin actively kicked out the teams which sneaked in the league without matching any of the registrations :o

then the registration requirement was relaxed as such, and anybody being able to just read the topic with the code, could join
"all welcome"
I figure it was made with the purpose of inclusivity, and I have of course no objection to that
The result was
- any FPL team manager could enter their team in the Fiso Official FPL Forum League, without revealing in the forum which their Fiso username was
- they didn't even need to be Fiso Members anymore!

to just report the most recent seasons, which data I have easier at hand

16/17 1112 teams (peak GW30-37)
17/18 1184 teams (peak GW26-27)
18/19 1326 teams (peak GW13, one less team now)

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Tacalabala wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 23:29 A lot of people said last season that FISO should have a league only for signed up members,
unlike the Official league which anyone can join even if not a member.
    • ASIDE: I had a few times brought up the issue when reporting about the Fiso Forum League (FFL in short) standings advancement, with several top achieving teams which could not be tracked down to any fellow Fiso member, or in associated sidegames like the Fiso Forum League Cup (not the Fiso Cup)
      I remember debating the issue with you Taca, and RPG seconded my stance as well, even helping out by pointing me to some old list and resource

But I can't recall any other poster addressing the subject.... I must have overlooked them, or they expressed to you by PM
      Mind, this is in no way an objection: I'm glad indeed there was a wider consensus than I was aware of :)
How to address it?
two approaches emerged, indeed there are like two ends of the issue and you can approach it from each opposing end

- pursue integration whilst keepmg the board-adopted inclusivity of most recent seasons
- go back to the "exclusive" approach of the beginnings, dropped after 12/13, by requiring a registration again

I was naturally inclined to the first one, by that I don't mean that I'm adversing the other approach. Just trying to describe and assess the pros and cons
And by "exclusive" I don't mean Taca wants to exclude anyone, of course he'd be glad (as I'd be as well) if the most possible Members came joining this Members League
I just mean that it excludes those who don't actively bother to register their team to join it

An example of what I mean by "pursuing integration"
A debate with mogwai (or rather between mogwai and some mods, which I haven't been privy of) is realyy helping this way
Most Fiso Sidegames are organised for Fiso Members, they require membership to join
(if not because you have to post to register the game, and you have to register Fiso to post)
mogwai runs his Spaceball leagues open to players outside Fiso (don't know the details)
the positive aspect is, once an outside manager joins a mixed league and realises that a great part of the field come from Fiso, they cn be whetted and motivated to Join Fiso to take part in some league banter on this Forum

Similarly, despite most owners of teams in the Fourm League are unknown, there's some chance that they still post, or maybe just lurk/visit the Forum.
Maybe they're regular posters, who, in lack of a registration, never disclosed which is their team.
So by highlighting their teams achievements, they can be encouraged to "come forward" and declare themselves :)

Actual Cases:

in the League Cup 2016, its first edition (2nd half of the 15/16 season), two "unknown teams" from the FFL got in the Semis,
and by announcing it in a topic in the FPL forum, I succesfully had simonl87 and SpartaBhoy post there since a long time they didn't
(simonl87 got 415th overall last season, SB has five Top 5k finishes incl. one top 1k, and one just outside 5k)
they might only occasionally have come again posting in FPL, but at least when we see their team in the Forum league, we know who they are in Fiso

Last season Forum League winner was not in my owners list
RPG reminded me that I could look up his Manager Name in the FFL registration topics from few seasons ago (the ones I referred to in the above post)
so we could track down that the 2017/18 FFL Winner was Tusk, and he even came out of his lurkerdom to share some insights in a few posts

Had they been forced to register to be in a Fiso League, they'd never been in it and never been spotted and tracked down

______

Who are the owners of the over 1.3k teams in the FFL?

- some can actually be strangers, passerbys, browsing thru several FPL related sites, they stumble upon FISO as well,
after some lurking without registering as Member, they spotted the topic with the code to join our league, and they did it. Maybe they'll never pass here by again...

- quite a few could be Members who joined in the past, and just kept on playing FPL and renewing their leagues
I tried to track down mebers who registered in the past by they FPL manager name, but also that can change
Or simply many can have escaped my sieve... or joined afer 12/13 (that's six seasons ago), when registration was no more compulsory
Some thereof might have quit Fiso, or they just use it for other games/forums than FPL. Some might well be regular posters who never bothered to dsclose their team.

Of course, if all those above keep renewing their leagues despite not being involved anymore with Fiso, or with Fiso FPL forum,
as the Leagues list is at most 15 items long, they "should" be well aware they continue being season after season in a league named "the FISO forum"
Weren't they actually be somehow involved or intersted in it, wouldn't they leave it, to free a spot in their league list ??? :?

On one hand, I might well agree that we should "exclude" them from a Forum League, if they kept a league named FISO in their list for years on, without ever bothering to show there to comment at least about their team
OTOH I realise I'm also in the FFS League, but I only use some of the resources they offer, without ever posting or contributing there in any way, I'd be a bit annoyed should they kick me out for that, although I never check their league standings (I wouldn't know whose most those teams are), I'm only curious to get the gauge of my ranking in their league as well, just like in the Overall or the Fiso League
________

hhmmm... time for a break ;)
next I'd like to muse about all those who I KNOW who they are in Fiso, and which team they own
they're still a sizeable sample, although "just" 42% of all teams in FFL
the disappointing data is the relatively LOW turnout of this Member League. I had honestly expected / hoped for a good deal more myself :?

later

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Thanks MoSe

The Member League was a merger of the existing Strategic Thinking Cavern league and Ironfist's very successful Veterans league. I felt there was a opportunity to consolidate two very similar competitions.

As for the question on attracting new members, my current thinking is the sidegames as a whole are at their best when they engage regular posters we have on the board, be they veterans or newer members who have hit the ground running with their contributions. The only way FISO can grow is by keeping existing and attracting new members who are logging in and posting everyday - be that insightful content, strong opinion, or witty banter.

Sidegames give added-value to members, especially when we recognise the names of other members we are competing against in competitions. This is also far more rewarding for the organisers of sidegames.

I'm unconvinced, however, sidegames serve a role in attracting new regular posters to the board. Other factors, such as quality of content, ease of use, visual aesthetic, and reliability in the availability of the board are the key pulls for convincing quality posters to join our community.

Chinese Whisperer
Treebeard

Post by Chinese Whisperer »

I have joined a few side leagues this year after popping in and out of FISO for around 12 years. I had to re-register more recently after forgetting my member details.
I personally prefer head to head leagues for their unpredictability - a high OR does not mean that you will win in every round.
I believe that I can finish in the top 100K this year 😁. I am learning from the many more experienced players in this forum, so this target is looking achievable.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Sorry, but I am a bit peeved by this. I just looked for the FISO League code for someone else and could only find this thread, which looks like the FISO League but isn't. Or has it replaced the Forum League? It is very confusing to be honest.

The Veterans league I could understand, you had to have 2500+ posts or some such. The STC league I could understand, it was for those that frequent that thread. But this FISO Members League is just misleading in my view because anyone would assume from the title that it is the official FISO League.

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

I think this was just a league for regular posters as it was noted some in the Fiso league never or hardly ever posted.

The Fiso league still exists, joining code 64901-14226. It has a thread stickied under announcements at the top (the way I view the forum anyway!).

Edit: Actually if I recall correctly the STC league became this so as not to be too exclusive?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I have no problem with a league being exclusive. The problem is that this sounds like the official forum league and it isn't.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Pulpy has summarised it accurately. The distinction is exactly as Fantasy Football Scout has it - an 'all-comers' official league, and a Members league only for signed up members.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I'm not thick, Taca. I was able to grasp that, believe it or not. The difference is that on FFS members pay a subscription so the distinction is clear cut. Here it is not clear cut. Am I a FISO Member? I don't think so, there's nothing for me to be a member of apart from a community that is perfectly well served by the FISO Forum League. Because the FISO Forum is all there is. It is the same for all without distinction.

The moment you force people through portals and registration procedures you are creating exclusivity and control-freakery. All that is needed is an open league code for those that desire to enter.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

You're either a member with a username and the ability to post in the forum, or you're not. People have complained in past they didn't know who a lot of the people in the official league were, this is a solution to this. I'd personally have made being a forum member a requirement of the official league, but that isn't my call to make.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

I can imagine the Official FISO League went to a no-requirements-to-join league when any previous admin became a bit of a chore and our winning streak at the best leagues title was a distant memory. Having it as it is now is probably how it is.

With respect to Veterans/STCers/Members/Elite of the Elite/Etc I think everyones views are probably on the same page somewhere - there is always a call for a league "where everyone knows your name" and you knows theirs. Not just a FISO ID but someone who posts.

Personally I'd like to see ..

> A mini-league where the vast majority are regular and/or well known posters.

> A mini-league where teams may be removed if they become FISO ghosts.

> A mini-league that is not auto-renewed and requires at least a "hello" post in the leagues "hello" thread.

> A mini-league with a different title ...

You say FeeSo I say FySo
Del Hornos Magic Sponge
Double Secret Rotation
The Rounded Keeper

nowwhoswithme.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

RomynPG wrote:Personally I'd like to see...

> A mini-league with a different title...

The Rounded Keeper
That would do for me, I'd even join it. :lol: I just don't like the current title because it causes confusion as to which is the 'official' FISO league.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

RomynPG wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 16:24 I can imagine the Official FISO League went to a no-requirements-to-join league when any previous admin became a bit of a chore
I thought so as well, since Dr.B last managed the list

RomynPG wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 16:24 With respect to Veterans/STCers/Members/Elite of the Elite/Etc I think everyones views are probably on the same page somewhere
yes, in each opposing corner! ;)

RomynPG wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 16:24 there is always a call for a league "where everyone knows your name" and you knows theirs.
sorry for slacking in adding my further considerations/assessments on the Members League, which is still my plan

one of the points I'd like to still adrress is not rather who chose Official Forum vs unofficial Members ones, (although I do have further comments there too)
but those who joined neither despite being regular posters, having their team disclosed anyway, and league slots free aplenty
First one who springs to mind is Tall Paul, who's totally entitled to join (or not) what he likes, but it would be interesting to know "why", to understand the appallingly low (to me) Members League turnout
RomynPG wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 16:24 Not just a FISO ID but someone who posts.
> A mini-league where the vast majority are regular and/or well known posters. [...and...] teams may be removed if they become FISO ghosts.
that would have prevented tho to have Tusk win such League as he was a several years lurker, nor to tow him out of his lurkerdom for a few posts after his Forum League win

=========

just uploaded my updated file as it is
FISO 18-19 MEMBERS League gw21

a dozen new owner usernames added since last installment
only 3 thereof in the FFL, and none in the FML (whilst snakzz left it)
but I observed a welcome surge in setting up FPL Buttons, maybe enocuraged by such debates
I'd say seeing eastcentral1 first disclose his team after 5 seasons I'm here,almost moved me! :D ;)
____
EDIT:
added phrampton534 viewtopic.php?p=3284609#p3284609

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

Is it different from the FISO forum [confused] as i am in this league?

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

the point of all the debate is that the two leagues (FFL [Fiso Forum League] and FML [Fiso Members League]) are indeed confusing many fisoers
FFL is the Official Fiso classic league for the FPL game, renewed each season by Spencer4 on behalf of the board, find it in the announcement sections
FML is "just another" private league, albeit created by a Mod with the noble purpose of filtering out non-members (who can join FFL) and knowing all each other

Another point, is kudos to Bølla for topping this, but that's only because you weren't properly informed that there is this one too, or you'd lead it as well.
so what's pride is there in leading a Members "sub"-league only because the top players in the Forums failed to spot the several invitations Taca posted to join this? :?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Questioning the pride in being top or not being top of a league of regulars is one way of looking at it, I suppose (not that this is particularly a response to MoSe, more in support of what Taca was looking to achieve).
Last year I was close to the top of both the main league and also IronFist’s. I was obviously interested in getting to the top of both, but I had little specific interest in beating someone who never contributed and in many cases where we couldn’t even track down the link between their team and their user name (acknowledging the sterling work on this by MoSe).
I subscribe to the point of view that an appropriately named league of regulars - the people contributing to this thread, for example - adds to my FISO experience.
Have it in parallel with the main league so that we can continue to bring Tusk and others out of lurkerdom.

If some people don’t like the name, fine, let’s look at it next year. But at a time when we are lamenting a reduced amount of activity across the forum, can we please not throw the baby out with the bath water? This was an attempt to bring together people who are regular contributors, merging two existing leagues that each in their own way sought to do the same and somewhat duplicated each other. We need to support this and improve it. Or come up with even better ideas.

As for joining or not joining FISO branded FPL leagues, I never did until about two years ago. I was in a couple of competitive mini-leagues and FISO was my secret weapon.

I never did get to the top of either league last year :-(

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Links, Mini-Leagues & Side Games”