To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FISODAS Season 32 - Announcement

FISO Defenders Against Strikers (FISODAS) Games run by Jester (previously Shrews, Barry & Jester)
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

FISODAS Season 32 - Announcement

Post by forestfan »

Just to give some advance notice to everyone – I’m planning on making this coming season my last one at the helm of FISODAS.

The game has thrived for over 13 years through regular changes of organiser, and I very much hope that can continue to be the case. This will be my seventh season of running it, and looking back through the history of it, only Jester in his first spell has done more than that consecutively.

As I’m sure everyone appreciates, it is a real commitment to run a game like this, even though I’ve managed to automate certain elements better as I’ve gone on, and will continue to do so with a view to handing it over. The pricing and scoring has always been a single person job, though I must thank Rob for his efforts with the technological element of it – there’s no way I would have agreed to take it on with manual entries, as was the case in the early years!

I’ve generally enjoyed running it, other than the occasional difficult situation that has arisen but you can’t avoid that totally. The first law of FISO side games, or indeed any competition you run, is that the one thing you haven’t covered off in the rules will happen – I’m certainly glad I don’t have the responsibility of running a game with cash prizes! But enthusiasm does tend to wane a bit after a while and my passion for Premier League football itself has dipped slightly over the past couple of years, I’m finding I’d rather immerse myself in an epic TV box set than watch a middle of the road Monday night game.

So by giving this notice I’m hoping someone will come forward to take it on before August/September. It could even be two people with different roles, which would certainly make it easier in terms of holidays etc. compared to relying on one person. If not, maybe it will take a break for a while but I really hope this isn’t the last of FISODAS – and I would certainly like to take part as a player again myself some day!

Player lists will be up in the near future for Week 1, season starts this weekend.

gutshot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Solid

Re: FISODAS Season 32 - Announcement

Post by gutshot »

Only played the game for four seasons but enjoyed it immensely and your time and effort has been much appreciated. An excellent game, expertly run👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻.

Hope there is someone out they to take over and look forward to playing you FF in the league.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Hat doffed ff - your efforts have been so appreciated.
I really hope someone steps up to take over and the game doesn't get lost like some others have.

I'm off to sweet talk Barry! lol

barrydixey
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FISODAS - Conference winner 2009 FISO Goals - 20th 2008/09 - NOTHING SINCE!!

Post by barrydixey »

Jester wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 22:37 Hat doffed ff - your efforts have been so appreciated.
I really hope someone steps up to take over and the game doesn't get lost like some others have.

I'm off to sweet talk Barry! lol

Couldn't have put it better Jester.
Enjoyed every season since young Digsby introduced me to FISODAS and only possible by the efforts of the various organisers over the years.
Thank you all and here's hoping that we get a volunteer to takeover. Difficult shoes to fill but I'm sure that whoever it is they will get every assistance.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Echo all the comments above. Running of this game in particular looks very time intensive so your efforts are appreciated FF 8-)
Fingers crossed someone steps up to continue the running of this great little game.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

A great big thanks to FF for captaining the good ship Fisodas over the years, I know we all tried to make it easier to run but hats off, the Widget has been a tremendous addition! Enjoy your final season, then come join Jester and I on the retirement deck :lol:

To anyone considering taking over, it's not as scary as it looks and there will be tremendous support available as I'm sure we have all found running this.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Now that the Premier League has finished for another year, I was wondering if there had been any volunteers to run FISODAS next season yet?

barrydixey
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FISODAS - Conference winner 2009 FISO Goals - 20th 2008/09 - NOTHING SINCE!!

Post by barrydixey »

Let's hope so Morgan as it's a great game!

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

I'm still waiting for the big announcement ....... 8-) 8-)

barrydixey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by barrydixey »

Please don't let FISODAS die

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

So the Premier League has now kicked off. Do we have a volunteer from the audience to run FISODAS for the coming year?

(I think I'm running about 9 games this season, a mixture of weekly, monthly and season-long, so I'm not willing to take FISODAS on too - sorry.)

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

I am going to miss it terribly, and wish I was in the position to be able to step up to continue it.

But with a full-time job, running a successful business outside of my main job PLUS 4 kids to help look after, I literally have no time at all to do anything else :cry:

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

There must be someone out there awesome enough to take over and save the game......

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

So, we've almost reached the IB and nobody has blinked yet...

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Still no takers to run FISODAS then...

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

I considered a third spell and may still take the plunge sometime in the future, just not right now.
If someone takes it on then, could mean only a short time in charge is required....??! :wink:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Jester wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 15:46 I considered a third spell and may still take the plunge sometime in the future, just not right now.
If someone takes it on then, could mean only a short time in charge is required....??! :wink:
I might consider doing another single season after Christmas to keep it going, in the hope that Jester or someone else might step in next season, but no promises at this stage.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

forestfan wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 17:50
Jester wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 15:46 I considered a third spell and may still take the plunge sometime in the future, just not right now.
I might consider doing another single season after Christmas to keep it going, in the hope that Jester or someone else might step in next season, but no promises at this stage.

Morganb, Malrom, richt, barrydixey....... IT WORKED!!!!! 🤗

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

Jester wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 23:39

Morganb, Malrom, richt, barrydixey....... IT WORKED!!!!! 🤗
What worked? You are taking over again? :lol: :lol:

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

It's after Christmas..... 😍

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

Jester wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 10:25

It's after Christmas..... 😍
Now that you mentioned it! Soon Easter already!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well yeah... not going to happen at this stage unfortunately, there isn’t really enough time left in the season to get a season of this in, given the need for a couple of weeks to round everyone up, and with international breaks and a fair chance the remainder of the PL season could be disrupted anyway given current events.

I haven’t missed all the work associated with it, to be honest, but I’d like to see it back whether I’m playing or involved in running it. We’ll give it the summer and see what interest and enthusiasm there is...

barrydixey
Grumpy Old Man

Post by barrydixey »

Thought that I would keep this thread going as FISODAS is a great game and I'd love to see it back in action.
Unfortunately I cannot put my name forward as an organiser as I'm pretty crap at I.T. and I really cannot take on any more projects.
Be great if someone could take it on as I'm sure that I'm not alone in missing good ol' FISODAS at the weekend.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

It's a shame that a program of some sort could be written to automate it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

forestfan has sent me the files to check them out, but I really don't think I can manage it :( I don't have the tech skills.

I did wonder if something more easy to manage could be devised by someone clever :) that would be run from a simple spreadsheet, and archive all the previous info.
I am willing to give it a go if this could be arranged. :?:

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

I'm thinking about running FISODAS for a small number of people in a first phase and then deceide, whether I'll take over or not.

There's one condition though, we have to find a way that I can participate.

I would plan a start in mid November for 1 group of people.

morganb
FISO Knight

Post by morganb »

Interesting... I would be up for taking part in the Return of FISODAS trial run.

I also wondered before if it could be automated somehow, there are probably people on here that may have an idea on how to do that?

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

ONZ is on the case :) hopefully 8-)
but all interested in helping would be good.

I am also wondering if it can be shared with peoples in charge of different divisions :roll: so that if someone needed a break to be away then any one of the others could pick up their division for them and also so everyone can play :D (in a division they don' t administer) :?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I’m not sure if splitting it by division would do much other than duplicate work - the most time-consuming parts of organising it were pricing up the players and inputting the scores etc. which wouldn’t change whether there was one division or ten. Best to have a bit of an organising committee and split by function, so it would be possible to find a structure that allowed the organisers to play as well.

I’m going to produce a guide to how I used to run it and operate the spreadsheets, for those interested (though might be a couple of weeks before I get chance). It is more automated than it looks at first, and there are elements of the game (cups, play-offs, bonuses etc.) which did add a lot to the game but could be dropped for simplification if necessary.

At this point in time I’d be aiming for a post-Christmas restart if it were up to me - it takes time to round up and recruit players (especially after 2-3 years away!) and you don’t want to be running gameweeks over the festive period anyway as there will likely be a lot of no-shows. Weekend after FA Cup third round was typically when I, and other organisers, started the second FISODAS season of a PL season.

No-shows and errors were the biggest hassle to deal with, though the vast majority of players were reliable! Obviously you could just have default wins instead of penalties and random opposition, but again, we always wanted to keep the opponent interested by still giving them a match.

Finally, I’ll mention all Rob’s work in the background to upload the player lists and keep the entry “widget” operating. We’d have to check that he was happy to do that again!

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

Exciting times!
Let me know if I can help in any way, although I doubt my pencil and calculator method of running things would add much these days....?!!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FISO Defenders Against Strikers (FISODAS) Games”