To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Is Barkley becoming a legitimate option?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Is Barkley becoming a legitimate option?

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Three goals and three assists in his last three games
Finally living up to expectations
Dirt cheap
Low ownership

Weedie
Wideboy
FS Record: Top 2k

Re: Is Barkley becoming a legitimate option?

Post by Weedie »

I think so, I'm contemplating getting him in.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

If he can hold down a place, absobloodylutely. Today was the first time he completed a full game.

escape_to_victory
FISOhead

Post by escape_to_victory »

Depends on Hazard news for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

What does Eden have to do with it?

um09a2k
Grumpy Old Man

Post by um09a2k »

Too much of a rotation risk, competing with RLC and Kovacic for one position.

swadd1er
Dumbledore

Post by swadd1er »

Really tempted but as mentioned, if he’s going to end up back on the bench when Hazard returns there’s no point. Another Ramsey scenario perhaps?

As the manager, can you really put someone on the bench in as good form as he’s in? I suppose Emery’s done it with Auba and Pep’s done it with Sterling + others.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It is Kov, Fab or maybe RLC who would replace him, not Eden who plays with Pedro\Will i an either side of a non-scoring CF :wink:

It is far from daft for him to carry on starting as Kov\Kante and Jorgi aren't particularly attacking. But he could well be one rotation risk too many :(

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

That position belongs to Kovacic when fit. I was already considering Barkley but too risky.

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

math! wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 20:49 That position belongs to Kovacic when fit. I was already considering Barkley but too risky.
Are you sure ? Kovacic played Europa league

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

carver wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 21:13
math! wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 20:49 That position belongs to Kovacic when fit. I was already considering Barkley but too risky.
This is part of my temptation, tbh. Kov, Kante and Jorgi just don't fill the Hamsik type of role which Sarri wants, while Ross and RLC do, and possibly Fab, although age may have caught up with him?

I thin that I am thinking more of dumping Rich with this OOP CF mirage.

math!
Dumbledore
FS Record: Yes

Post by math! »

carver wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 21:13
I guess we will have to ask Sarri :lol:

I would love to see Barkley become the player that Football Manager assumed him to be years ago :mrgreen:

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Fluked first season

Post by No Way Jose »

Apologies to whoever I chastised for picking him this week! Looks who is laughing now

Still a dud pick for me though.. but what do I know

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Pretty sure Kovacic was fit today. I reckon Barkley got the nod in part cause Hazard was missing, and we needed his direct attacking play. We've still got a lot of competition for that midfield spot, but Sarri's post match comments suggest to me that Barkley is no longer behind Kovacic. Still a wait and see for me.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Interesting that the other 3 aren't good enough (going forward) without Eden.

Was Kov bought when Kante was being eyed up by PSG?

I can understand the appeal of playing those 3 initially to protect the defence, but it doesn't fit the Sarri "model" (or philosophy in LvG speak) as none of them are Hamsik?

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

blahblah wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 23:06 none of them are Hamsik
You're right, blah. Clearly they need some dafter hairstyles in that Chelsea midfield.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 23:21
blahblah wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 23:06 none of them are Hamsik
You're right, blah. Clearly they need some dafter hairstyles in that Chelsea midfield.
For all his 31 years he remains a raw, unpolished entity, a sort-of footballing hyena, a snarling, physical force eager to sniff out a weakness and deliver a telling blow. apparently from https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -ancelotti

His hair is a bit lie a rugid\macho Paul Reubens :shock: :lol: Bill Cosby defended Reubens, saying "Whatever (Reubens has) done, this is being blown all out of proportion". oops re that character reference :?

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

blahblah wrote:Interesting that the other 3 aren't good enough (going forward) without Eden.

I can understand the appeal of playing those 3 initially to protect the defence, but it doesn't fit the Sarri "model" (or philosophy in LvG speak) as none of them are Hamsik?
I don't think he was ever seen as a Kante replacement. He's very comfortable with the ball at his feet, both tiki taka and dribbling. So he's good at the transition. But he does most of his work in those areas of the pitch and has very few goals to his name. I assume Sarri identified him (correctly) as someone who could fit into his style quickly.

MiNiMaL_FuSS
Treebeard

Post by MiNiMaL_FuSS »

eastcentral1 wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 23:37
blahblah wrote:Interesting that the other 3 aren't good enough (going forward) without Eden.

I don't think he was ever seen as a Kante replacement. He's very comfortable with the ball at his feet, both tiki taka and dribbling. So he's good at the transition. But he does most of his work in those areas of the pitch and has very few goals to his name. I assume Sarri identified him (correctly) as someone who could fit into his style quickly.
This. Kov is a talent footballer, but he definitely more of a transitional/box-to-box type than he is someone with an eye for a goal.

For me Barkley gets brought on whenever Chelsea need a goal or if Eden is taken off as he's that bit more attacking - I don't see him becoming more than that sadly.

Avoid for me - although if Eden's back is still playing up the next couple of matches then I'll regret that!

If you've got spare cash burning a hole in your pocket he'd make a great 5th!

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

It’s as the 5th midfielder I was mulling it over. Depending on your purchase price, Hazard/Højbjerg to KDB/Barkley costs the same money.
TBH it’s not my usual type of move and I probably need to put any spare ££ into my forward line rather than a back up player who will troll me from the bench when not needed and have the weekend off when required (sadly much like Højbjerg this weekend!)

carver
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Top 50k last 4 seasons . Mr Consistent

Post by carver »

The stuttering form of richarlison and Maddison and the fixture slump of Fraser makes Barkley less of a risk to punt on .

If kov and RLC get a league cup run out then the decision is easier .

P.s. I'm not getting him ...

alexmj
Treebeard

Post by alexmj »

He had no touches in the box yesterday.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

alexmj wrote:He had no touches in the box yesterday.
And he got 17 points. Imagine when he does get touches in the box. :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Joccki_10 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 12:45
alexmj wrote:He had no touches in the box yesterday.
And he got 17 points. Imagine when he does get touches in the box. :wink:
ooo err missus :lol:

wonkypenguin
Grumpy Old Man

Post by wonkypenguin »

I've brought him in for Richarlison with one of my frees while I decide. Worst case I use the other one at the end of the week to bank the 0.1 profit.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

MiNiMaL_FuSS wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 08:35
eastcentral1 wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 23:37

This. Kov is a talent footballer, but he definitely more of a transitional/box-to-box type than he is someone with an eye for a goal.

For me Barkley gets brought on whenever Chelsea need a goal or if Eden is taken off as he's that bit more attacking - I don't see him becoming more than that sadly.

Avoid for me - although if Eden's back is still playing up the next couple of matches then I'll regret that!

If you've got spare cash burning a hole in your pocket he'd make a great 5th!
Hmmm, yep to both and adding 2 and 2 to get to 3: Kov is on loan, and seen as was a low\no risk way of transitioning to Sarriball (honestly, I didn't make that word up) while the likes of Barley and RLC got the idea of it. Although in theory Fab could have done this, I sense CFC know something about Fab's legs etc and they don't seem to be interested in offering him a new contract?

I was critical of Barkley at Everton as he rarely\never passed and certainly the simple ball was usually beneath him. However, preseason and earlier he was always passing, even when if wasn't the best option - and usually to Jorgi. I guess this was him being over zealous or stupidly taking Sarri's "give Jorgi the ball, so he can focus the attack" a tad too dogmatically as he was doing it when the attacks were flowing. (I think it was Ross who had the ball wide left on edge of opponents Pen Box and picked out Dave at RB pretty much on the halfway line, and not far from the touchline. Apologies to him if it wasn't him, but such a pass was made in the Prem a week or two ago.)

And 3 is the magic number?

My real worry would be if he was getting those 2 min 1 point things. 0 or starting would be fine for me to have him as 5th Mid.

xJosh-
FISOhead

Post by xJosh- »

3 goals and 3 assists in his last 3 games surely makes it his place to lose over kovacic. Kante is a guarantee and probably Jorginho but you can’t argue with those numbers. If he was playing badly and getting those numbers it would be hard to argue not playing him. Easy pick if you fancy him but for meI would say it’s one of them where he’s still a CM so v unlikely he carry’s on scoring like this and you’ve already missed the boat.

Panserjohan
Treebeard
FS Record: Started 2007

Post by Panserjohan »

Never!

ricardo68
FISOhead

Post by ricardo68 »

Heavily traded in and recommended by the scout suggests - NO !!

Hehehe

um09a2k
Grumpy Old Man

Post by um09a2k »

So Kovacic starts league cup. Probably means Barkley on for this weekend.

Now this got interesting.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”