To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW1 Bench Boost Team

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
Jay P
Treebeard

Re: GW1 Bench Boost Team

Post by Jay P »

Billy Bongo wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 17:31 The amount of discussion for what amounts to another 12 points or so perfectly demonstrates it's over eggedness

It's worth usually between 0.5% and 0.8% of your seasons points thats all . Ever punted on Benteke captain? It's worth less than that

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Every decision you make through the season is small in isolation. If you’re open to throwing points away on your chip usage that kind of thinking is probably going to bleed into every decision you make.

Jay P
Treebeard

Post by Jay P »

hmmm just gave that a bit of thought and it may actually be beneficial for many people to take risks / differentials like this. The payout structure of FPL and mini leagues is extremely top heavy - many players should probably be making moves like this because if they actually pay off they could propel you to winning something... in reality is there any material difference between finishing 10,000th and 1,000,000th?

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Jay P wrote:
Billy Bongo wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 17:31 The amount of discussion for what amounts to another 12 points or so perfectly demonstrates it's over eggedness

It's worth usually between 0.5% and 0.8% of your seasons points thats all . Ever punted on Benteke captain? It's worth less than that

Every decision you make through the season is small in isolation. If you’re open to throwing points away on your chip usage that kind of thinking is probably going to bleed into every decision you make.
Yep so why waste a WC saving it for 12 points

Jay P
Treebeard

Post by Jay P »

Billy Bongo wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 20:38
Jay P wrote:

Thought we were talking about bench boost?

Jay P
Treebeard

Post by Jay P »

Billy Bongo wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 20:38
Jay P wrote:

A wildcard is probably worth quite a bit more than 12pts so if someone only expected to net 12pts from using it in a certain spot I’d say they could probably use it in a better spot

Hotstepper
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Reasonable

Post by Hotstepper »

The best argument I can see for BB in GW1 is the situation thrown up by various World Cup players not being available first few weeks. The masses will probably still fill their starting squads with their favoured players regardless, and could be some disappointed managers with no shows in their team.

Particularly with a small window of say the first 3 games, pre a first international break WC after GW3, could cherry pick a squad with the bulk of funds aimed at guys like Mahrez, Sane, Sanchez. Could be a good opportunity to make a big start.

On the downside, even for a couple of weeks I don't want to be left with an over expensive bench, so would still be hoping that my second GK and probably fifth at least, (maybe 4th as well) would be priced no higher than 4.5m. Of the teams with 4.5m gk/defs in GW1, not sure I'm convinced any of them are worth the BB gamble. Bournemouth, Fulham, Wolves, Watford, Southampton? I'd very possibly be starting with a couple of them in my first 11, not sure I'd want three or four of them as starters. The emergence of a couple of good 4.0m defs or a starting 4.5m for one of the big guns could persuade me

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Assuming someone like Benteke was averaging 5ppg, (if he was averaging much less then you wouldn't consider punting), and your regular captain was averaging 7ppg, then the Bench Boost chip is equivalent to 6 punts on captaining Benteke, not less than one. So yeah, that's quite a lot of punts.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Is anyone doing this now we're here?

razorblade
Kevin and Perry

Post by razorblade »

I am tempted. I have chosen my 15 and not let bench boost affect my selections.

However, I am wondering whether it is the best chance all season I will get to play it. I prefer to play other chips on DGW's.

Thoughts based on my current team?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGPT
Treebeard

Post by MGPT »

Yep, I'm currently on this:

Foster-Patricio

Robertson-Davies-Bertrand-Shaw-Cook

Salah-Mane-Son-Pedro-Costa

Morata-King-Mitrovic

Wanted to make it interesting so went with a fairly unique team. No City bothers me but possible returns of KDB and Sterling mess everything up with their attackers anyway.

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

Haven’t seen too many bench boosts in my leagues but this one, from someone who has a good record, caught my eye. If Keïta and Gray were Jota and Arnie/Zaha then it’d be almost a standard distribution of funds, just without any 4.0 defenders. As it stands he has 19.5m on the bench as opposed to the 16.5-17.5m that most teams will have. This player isn’t afraid to take hits, so It’ll be interesting to see how he rectifies that if he doesn’t wildcard out of it.
762C8269-6915-477A-9401-A33940F1387C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

I did go for this in the end

I'll report back how it went

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

dino1980 wrote:Haven’t seen too many bench boosts in my leagues but this one, from someone who has a good record, caught my eye. If Keïta and Gray were Jota and Arnie/Zaha then it’d be almost a standard distribution of funds, just without any 4.0 defenders. As it stands he has 19.5m on the bench as opposed to the 16.5-17.5m that most teams will have. This player isn’t afraid to take hits, so It’ll be interesting to see how he rectifies that if he doesn’t wildcard out of it.

Fraser and Holebas already did the job for him.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I so nearly did, but that little voice was saying "patience, patience....." Fuchs only knows how many I will have there, on the plus side I'll get Kante's.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Look at this poor b4stardImage

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

Billy Bongo wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 10:43 Look at this poor b4stardImage

Probably prays for a bout of swine flu amongst Liverpool ranks before the game...

FootballFanatic
Red & Blue Braces

Post by FootballFanatic »

The leader has quite a nice team. Some questionable picks in my view, but it still is a nice team and not any completely left field picks as such.

FootballFanatic
Red & Blue Braces

Post by FootballFanatic »

dino1980 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 10:41 Haven’t seen too many bench boosts in my leagues but this one, from someone who has a good record, caught my eye. If Keïta and Gray were Jota and Arnie/Zaha then it’d be almost a standard distribution of funds, just without any 4.0 defenders. As it stands he has 19.5m on the bench as opposed to the 16.5-17.5m that most teams will have. This player isn’t afraid to take hits, so It’ll be interesting to see how he rectifies that if he doesn’t wildcard out of it.

It's too early for a bench boost for me. I was going to play a wildcard before using that and/or the triple cap. The game week leader has done a decent effort at it though. He's got low priced players on there and gone for it with Begovic, Smith, Wan-Bissaka, Neves...which looking at the fixtures even pre-match is probably fair enough. Interesting team he went for.

This one in your league is a decent effort too. I'm surprised people went for Shaw, unless it was just a one or two game thing. Mourinho is a miserable git and inclined to drop and rotate him no matter what he does. Which scares me off Shaw despite his quality.

tommygun25
Grumpy Old Man

Post by tommygun25 »

16 points on my bench think with some planning I could improve on that

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Stemania wrote: Is anyone doing this now we're here?

Yeah, I did, it seemed obvious to me. Looks like I'll have 20 points from it which is better than par as far as I am concerned. Only had 18m benched as well so there was no cheating - that was my genuine bench.

My main problem has been 3 strikers without a goal between them but my team should comfortably beat 100 in any case. :)

The Usual Suspect
Wideboy

Post by The Usual Suspect »

Ironfist wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 11:27
Billy Bongo wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 10:43 Look at this poor b4stardImage

Probably prays for a bout of swine flu amongst Liverpool ranks before the game...
Pretty much the same for me: DDG 3, Neves 12, Schlupp 11, Wan Bissaka 12 on the bench, but at least Schlupp was auto subbed in as Bednarek didn’t play. Finished up with 76 on the board so can’t complain.

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 17:54Only had 18m benched as well so there was no cheating - that was my genuine bench.
yes

Only, ftsop, it was 18.5m (Keane 5m not 4.5)

I had 20m on bench due to a 6m and a 5m mid there
I got 17p, but only thanx to a fluke McCarthy 11p, and 6p from the other 3.
Had I played BB, Saints would have conceded an I'd have only got 10 or 9p.

Well done anyway.
But let's meet in 10 years and check how many times your gw1 BB will get 10+p
I'd bet no more than 1 or 2.

sukh0718
Wideboy

Post by sukh0718 »

I saw many people have already used their BB already and scored over 100

well, fair enough

I will use my Bench Boost when I have a massive huge squad so sitting on the bench, there are Aguero, Salah, Lukaku, Cech.

They are only worth £11, £13, £11, £5.5?

Bench worth around £40?

Then I could use this holy useful Bench Boost

sukh0718
Wideboy

Post by sukh0718 »

(Knock Knock)

Who's there :?:

it's MR. TIME TO USE BOOST BENCH :lol: :lol:
ScreenShot_20180813105156.png

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

sukh0718 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 02:52 (Knock Knock)

Who's there :?:

it's MR. TIME TO USE BOOST BENCH :lol: :lol:

I like to imagine you're Tommy Wiseau. :lol:

MGPT
Treebeard

Post by MGPT »

I managed to get 100 exactly using the BB. Annoyingly I went without Richarlison and Mendy who will both be in my team long-term but overall I'm pretty happy. Ranked 13k and can play from the front rather than the usual catch up.

OldSkoolFPL
Red & Blue Braces

Post by OldSkoolFPL »

Well done to anyone who had the guts to go with this in the end, saw the World no 1 used it also (or he was before Sunday) so it has its merits of you want that fast start.

lorocator
Kevin and Perry

Post by lorocator »

78 points and if I'd use it would've been 115 as I had Richarlison and Bissaka on the bench. Congratulations to the ones that used it. Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

MoSe wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote:Only had 18m benched as well so there was no cheating - that was my genuine bench.
Well done anyway.
But let's meet in 10 years and check how many times your gw1 BB will get 10+p - I'd bet no more than 1 or 2.

Yeah, it was 18.5m but as I also had a 4.5m defender in the team (I marginally preferred Cook's fixture to Keane's) then the bench spend was effectively 18m, which is what I usually aim at in the absence of a 4m starting GK.

I'd guess 7-8 times out of 10. But the main point is that I never again have to field 15 players this season - I will always have subs to fall back on - and the elimination of that extra pressure come DGW time is a benefit in itself. Playing the GW1 BB is as much about avoiding complication later (with the associated costs and compromises) as it is about the score you get with it in GW1. Fortunately both were accomplished this time but had I scored 12-14 points with it I'd still have been relatively happy.

Finisher1
Dumbledore

Post by Finisher1 »

OldSkoolFPL wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 06:25 Well done to anyone who had the guts to go with this in the end, saw the World no 1 used it also (or he was before Sunday) so it has its merits of you want that fast start.
What do you mean by "the World no 1"? Jay Egersdorff didn't play BB.

If you mean the GW1 winner, well, I guess it was pretty much certain that GW1 winner would be someone who plays a chip. Actually, has there ever been a gameweek (during the chip era) when the gameweek winner wasn't a chip-player? So you really can't read any merits from that fact isolated :lol: I really think the GW1 winner won't be overall leader for long.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”