To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Patrician's Crystal Ball

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: Patrician Blog

Post by Stemania »

Nice thread this, Patrician, keep it up please! :mrgreen:

I'm particularly interested in your observation about Auba and his conversion rate, though LamebrainEddy has a very good point on the xG front. He's an interesting one to predict given a new manager and likely a new 4atb system - if Emery reverts to his long-favoured 4231 then Auba suddenly looks wider to me and potentially less likely to be involved than last season. Maybe Lacazette could be the one to have, but in the 433 of Emery's PSG it could be that Auba improves his output, with the team just being better all round.

I find it very hard to predict (in view of LbE's point) whether Arsenal will continue to provide higher quality chances, as it may be that Auba's unique pace and movement/unknown factor was just as big a factor in their occurrence (vs the sheer quality of passes to him). Though it seems very unlikely to me that Arsenal as a rule should provide higher quality chances than the other top teams with their creative powers - so maybe we should indeed expect a little less of Auba as you suggest.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ...bears no responsibility for bad points forecasts
FS Record: 2nd TFFE 2008, FPL 3 top 10k finishes

Post by Patrician »

I will try! Next up, the defence. I have been convinced over the last few months that a premium defence is key, so lets get that set in stone before I get tempted by all the exciting midfield and forward talents.
Prem Def.JPG
Yummy. Nailed on, clean sheet grabbing, occasional attacking returns, realtively cheap. Whats not to like? They are all much of a muchness.

Mendy is very interesting, Awesome stats in his few minutes last term. Back in pre-season despite the World Cup. If I think he plays. he should be first on my team sheet. Defintiely want a Man City, so him or Otamendi.

Definitely want a Liverpool, so toss a coin between Robertson and Van Dijk. Nothing betwwen them.

Bit worried about Chelsea, who knows what Sarri will be up to. Alonso amazing last year, but doea he still play? Azpi over performed, but nailed on?

Smalling is the only ManU defeneder I fancy with Valencia possibly injured.

Lets go Azpiculeta, Robertson, Mendy (6.5, 6.0. 6.0) - easy swtich to Alonso, plenty of easy swtiches to other 6.0. Can't go wrong. Mendy the only risk I think, but maybe high reward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Patrician on 25 Jul 2018, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

One mid-price defence
Mid Def.JPG
Quite a few candidates, and if Arsenal didn't have such a shitty start I wouldn't look further. However they do, so the easy Bellerin, becomes Bellerin vs Van Aanholt. I love Van Aanholt, and Arsenal defenders have really screwed me over the years.

Choice: PvA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Patrician wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 11:58 When you add the fact he has two tough games to start, it is an easy decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure Aub does as Citeh will be lacking defenders and Chelsea could be learning a new system, and maybebedding in a few key players inc a GK?

I am trying to be strong and agree re Salah and 250, well sub 250 player.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

Yeah maybe Blah, but I just cant get past the Arnie level stats. Call me stats junkie.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Stats need an eye test too, imho - Bellend may well not start :wink:

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

Good job I didn't pick him!

FranckKessie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by FranckKessie »

Patrician wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 11:47 I could add a few expected points to Salah by assuming the conversation rates of a forward, but I think my conclusion would stand: he is a 250ish player, 300 unlikely to strike twice.

Bit scared not to pick him though!

First of all great blog. I share many of your views.

I think it is close between Aguero and Salah. Its an important decision as it starts a chain reaction. The tipping point for me I imagine will be whether I would like an addiotional spot amongst forwards or midfielders.

Are you standing firm on your 4.5/4.0 GK strategy? I like 5.0/4.0 better up until first WC.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

You have a few weeks to fall into that trap 8-)

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

Not sure on the goalies. I think it is the least interesting position, so will see whats left when everything else is done.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

Ok so premium midfielders, new principle: all choices must rhyme....Sane, Mane...

Prem Mid.JPG
Two to pick. Have included Sanchez in the table even if he would break my rule of only one 10M player. After great consideration, Mahrez wait and see, Sanchez I love you but you need to do better. Eriksen lets wait for your mates to recover from the world cup.

Picks: Sane Mane

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

Mid Midfielders, oh Richarlison you massive tease.
Mid Mid.JPG
Richarlison is the type of player I snap up. Great underlying stats + poor returns = future profit. If I am going to play a stats game, I have to pick him, look at the starting fixtures. No idea what the everton move will do.

Matrtial, seems certain to start the season up front for ManU as a 7.5 M with great stats and performance. No brainer.

Silva I will probably regret my choices and have you n the end.

Ramsey. One good season you had. We know you can do it. High on my watch list you are.

Mkhi - Sorry dude, easy on the eye, spectacular goals now and again. No fantasy prospect.

Choices: Richarlison and Martial.
Last edited by Patrician on 26 Jul 2018, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Low on Mahrez if he starts? When the rest are back I doubt he will get the minutes until he buys into Pep's high\constant press thang. My gut is that next season he could Salah and if he gets it quickly then chew chew chomp chomp. The CS could well be a big watch FPL wise.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

I think Mahrez could be amazing, yes Salah levels, but I think that right hand berth in the city side is highly contested. If he secures it, I am all in.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Why right side? I sense Pep will go 4-2-3-1 with KdB as 1 of the 2, and :shock: :shock: :shock: Raheem as the central one of the 3, as Dilva is eased out.

Or he goes similar to Engalnd, bit more 3-4-3, with Kdb as one of the 4, which has 2 from Sane, Sterling and Mahrez starting with Jesus\Kun - so the one above wins? He could go with Walker right and Stones left with freedom to go forward, but that sounds insane, unless the WB's drop back?

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

Thats the thing, who the hell konws what Pep will do. I do know that Man City will score a shed load of goals, I will have three of them, but which three?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Patrician wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 23:07

Richarlison is the type of player I snap up. Great underlying stats + poor returns = future profit. If I am going to play a stats game, I have to pick him, look at the starting fixtures. No idea what the everton move will do.

Matrtial, seems certain to start the season up front for ManU as a 7.5 M with great stats and performance. No brainer.

Silva I will probably regret my choices and have you n the end.

Ramsey. One good season you had. We know you can do it. High on my watch list you are.

Mkhi - Sorry dude, easy on the eye, spectaucular goals now and again. No fantasy prospect.

Choices: Richarlison and Martial.
My kinda 5hite you are dishing up here :lol:

I have 3 ot these atm:

Rich as he was zonked and Silva should get hum firing again.
Martial should start up top, and if sold to the Prem becomes even better? Obv if goes to the Continent then Sanchez becomes that dust of gold, until the WC'ers return.
Mkh (currently pipping Ramsey) as he rocked when linking with Aub, but a wait and see re Dick's formation.
I do have Silva as an option, but down to CS eye test over Sane and Mahrez

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

Forwards

Big decision here, I can premium (which means Firminho or Morata) plus a 4.5, or two mid priced.
Forwards.JPG
Charlie Austin, with a full season should be a beast. My formula predicts a premium return.

Niasse, could be super if first choice. Fixtures are very friendly.

Tried and tested, bang on? Arnie plaus Zaha - thats my choice

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Patrician wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 23:22 Thats the thing, who the hell konws what Pep will do. I do know that Man City will score a shed load of goals, I will have three of them, but which three?
I can be boring\sensible :? :shock: and this is a season to be safe and set up something flexible for the first however many GW's. I have 9\10 as WC due to Fixture shifts, and if I WC before then then part oft hat will be minimal hits for then.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Patrician wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 23:32 Tried and tested, bang on? Arnie plaus Zaha - thats my choice
This is actually the big one, assuming Zaha is at CP, which I doubt. I am thinking one as 2nd For, and 5ish bod as third so I can load the mids - imagine Eden and fister friend go to RM and a Willian\Martial swap, Even without Hig and the runt forwards going Martial and Pedro look good for not a lot. Barkley could even be worth having :shock: :shock: (Not to mention Willian at MU)

Arse have Ramsey and Mkh. (Apparently Torr 5mish should be on set pieces)

That is 3 or 4 for really not a lot...... Arnie plus Zaha and those 3 or 4 means a load itb.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

I think you are right on one of Zaha/Arnie plus a 5ish. I am a bit uneasy about not having Salah and uncertainty about Aguero game time, and I think I can get Salah in partially funded by this.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Slightly drinkled I watched the Lpool Citeh match and went to bed just after Salah nearly had a 2nd within minutes of getting off the bench.

I had that same sense that I did last season...... so he will be in my squad subject to other stuff happening.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Fluked first season

Post by No Way Jose »

I’m with you blah. I’ve considered going without him but going into every weekend willing him not to score and hiding behind the sofa as you say sounds horrible. I will virtually permacaptain him to justify the spend. I think the value in midfield makes including him doable

Just wanted to say I love your work patrician. Great thread

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Patrician »

Thanks

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

re Salah: it's the 5+7 up top which mages this feasible plus all those cheap mids...

Getting Citeh coverage will be tricky, but Mahrez was a busy bee last night.

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

Stemania wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 12:58 Nice thread this, Patrician, keep it up please! :mrgreen:

I'm particularly interested in your observation about Auba and his conversion rate, though LamebrainEddy has a very good point on the xG front. He's an interesting one to predict given a new manager and likely a new 4atb system - if Emery reverts to his long-favoured 4231 then Auba suddenly looks wider to me and potentially less likely to be involved than last season. Maybe Lacazette could be the one to have, but in the 433 of Emery's PSG it could be that Auba improves his output, with the team just being better all round.

I find it very hard to predict (in view of LbE's point) whether Arsenal will continue to provide higher quality chances, as it may be that Auba's unique pace and movement/unknown factor was just as big a factor in their occurrence (vs the sheer quality of passes to him). Though it seems very unlikely to me that Arsenal as a rule should provide higher quality chances than the other top teams with their creative powers - so maybe we should indeed expect a little less of Auba as you suggest.
last season Aubameyang played on the left wing Lacazette in the lineup but hide the licence to room

in today's game he started on left wing but hardly got into the box

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

blahblah wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 22:46 Stats need an eye test too, imho - Bellend may well not start :wink:
Bellend? do you mean Bellerin if so he definitly starting

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

fred1266 wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 15:27
blahblah wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 22:46 Stats need an eye test too, imho - Bellend may well not start :wink:
You may well be right but not so sure on that as you are, be interesting to see how our Swiss player fits in when he joins up with squad.

LamebrainEddy
Red & Blue Braces

Post by LamebrainEddy »

fred1266 wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 15:27

FYI, something that was shared on fantasypl reddit, on Unai Emery's predisposition for rotating his FB's:

https://i.imgur.com/L9Q2Eht.jpg

dino1980
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL Best, 1,000th 2014-15.

Post by dino1980 »

blahblah wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 23:21 Why right side? I sense Pep will go 4-2-3-1 with KdB as 1 of the 2, and :shock: :shock: :shock: Raheem as the central one of the 3, as Dilva is eased out.

Or he goes similar to Engalnd, bit more 3-4-3, with Kdb as one of the 4, which has 2 from Sane, Sterling and Mahrez starting with Jesus\Kun - so the one above wins? He could go with Walker right and Stones left with freedom to go forward, but that sounds insane, unless the WB's drop back?
In the 4-2-3-1 formation, I think Mahrez has more chance of playing the no 10 role than Sterling. I think we'll see a lot of Sterling but it'll be in the wide positions rather than behind whichever striker starts.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”