To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Warning

Daily Fantasy Sports from DraftKings UK.
Dumbledore

Warning

Post by 12345678 »

hi guys,

fyi.

dk is the best designed daily fantasy footy game but i no longer play it.

i don't have a problem with giving them my passport details but now i am outta here! c& from dk

'Hunter (DraftKings)
Aug 31, 6:13 AM EDT
Hi Andy,
DraftKings requires customers to provide us with a properly completed withholding certificate in the form of either an IRS Form W-9 (for US taxpayers) or W-8BEN or another appropriate Form W-8 series withholding certificate (for non-US taxpayers), as appropriate for your particular tax situation.
According to our records, you have not submitted this certificate for the 2016 calendar year. As a result, your account has been restricted from entering contests and depositing.
Copies of the various IRS forms and instructions for each form are available on the IRS web site (www.irs.gov). Here is a link to the instructions for Form W-8BEN, which may be the most relevant to your particular situation: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf
We encourage you to consult with a US tax adviser regarding your tax situation, the appropriate forms, and any treaty benefits you may wish to claim on those forms in order to avoid US withholding tax.
Once you have completed the appropriate withholding certificate, please upload a PDF of the certificate through https://www.draftkings.com/account/uploads. Once we receive the form your account will be reinstated.
Should you have any questions for us, please contact us at support@draftkings.com; however, please note that we are unable to advise you on which form is appropriate or otherwise provide you with any tax advice.
Thank you,
Hunter
DraftKings Senior Player Advocate'

i think ffscout should be ashamed of promoting yahoo, who will presumably go down the same route.

additionally yahoo have a habit of blocking accounts through their failed account verification then you have no helpdesk and messages through their convoluted system are ignored.

there game isn't as well designed either but if you are prepared to jump through all the hoops dk is a good game but i doubt many if any will.

I think that is the end of daily fantasy footy for me unless someone reliable runs it from the uk!

Striker
FISO Knight

Re: Warning

Post by Striker »

FFS should be giving far higher priority to Investigating this sort of thing and bringing its findings to the notice of fantasy managers, than to their spoon-feeding "tipping" articles.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Is it because fantasy winnings count as taxable earnings in the US???

Too much of a headache for me. I find it annoying enough that every year I forget and pay for my TFF teams with a credit card so I have to pay a charge and interest.....

Can't we just play our little games in peace??

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

indeed

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc419.html

presumably if i enter the usa i will be arrested for tax evasion!

edit; if you are ever visiting the usa it may be that you need to ensure you lose or complete the required forms or there must be a risk you will be refused entry to the country. FFS should really be up front about this rather than blithely taking money to promote games (assuming they do as i have been told but cannot prove it myself)

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

'Hi Andy,
DraftKings requires customers to provide us with a properly completed withholding certificate in the form of either an IRS Form W-9 (for US taxpayers) or W-8BEN or another appropriate Form W-8 series withholding certificate (for non-US taxpayers), as appropriate for your particular tax situation.
Regarding entry to the US, we are unable to provide specific details about this. It is standard procedure for users to complete this form, yes. Again, we suggest consulting a tax professional for more information regarding your personal tax situation.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Hunter
DraftKings Senior Player Advocate'

so basically they are not prepared to put their neck on the line but if you have ever had a gambling account in the usa and failed to complete these forms and go on holiday with your family/or on business there is a risk you could be refused entry

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

here is my response to the closed chat with yahoo customer care. fantasyfootballscout hang your heads in shame recommending this shower to your members!

yes, your agent taylor closed the chat, i asked him/her for a way of verifying my account. they sent me a link that was the one i had told them had failed. when i pointed that out they sent it again! i asked for another link and they closed the chat. i also asked whether the game fell under uk or usa jurisdiction as it said on a page it was uk, indeed yahoo have a uk branch but everything is clearly run from the usa. they went away presumably to ask the supervisor and came back to say they didn't know. when i asked how i could get my winnings the only response was to send the failed verification link.

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

have no idea what is happening here, nor have they!

eventually the red 'date of birth' issue disappeared. when i noticed other than it being 'greyed out' nothing had changed i made a minor adjustment and it allowed me to upload passport

oddly some C:/fakepath came up in front of the scan so no idea if it sent or not, will keep you updated on what you have to do to operate a yahoo account, if you haven't gone off the idea yet ;)

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

re yahoo my account has now been verified having eventually managed to upload my passport photo.

regarding what tax rules apply you are left guessing. the game is clearly being run from america, however i think they have put british players through via a yahoo uk & ireland betting licence.

my best guess is therefore that unless the usa authorities try and crackdown on them that this game probably counts as uk gambling legislation and therefore outside the scope of taxation. it is a guess though the american yahoo people had no interest in dealing with the query and didn't know the answer.

the game is better designed than the naff fan duel uk design but not as well scored as the draft kings game, albeit i prefer 11 players.

twhelan22
Treebeard

Post by twhelan22 »

Hi, just posted an explanation about tax requirements here:
viewtopic.php?f=353&t=127268

tl;dr - you don't have to pay US tax if you're a UK citizen!

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

it's not a bad game, even though it falls short of yahoo (where uk entrants are now banned).

the helpdesk are incredibly poor for english players, but to be fair you could say the same for others. this might put players off.

the real issue is that the rakes are incredibly high, basically 10% against very good players and 15% against a mix.

i know you can win but my gut feel from playing and chatting with others is that in daily fantasy soccer at those rakes you probably need to be one of the top 30 players to make a profit.

with margins fairly tight on uk football betting markets it just seems very uncompetitive in the uk,

if you like the idea of daily fantasy i wouldn't put you off, just bear in mind the above comments.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DraftKings UK”