To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Prog

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Prog

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Over the years it's clear that english musicians in the 60' and 70' hit a nerve in my taste. Especially prog at that time was truly special in Great Britain. So, are there any prog-fans that would like to share their knowledge and likings from that time?

I'm not joking when I say 95% of all music I listen to is made between 63-77 - and there seems to be an endless discovery of new bands/musicians from that era. My taste goes in waves, but prog seems to take over more and more of my playlist. On that basis I would like to throw in some of my favorite prog-albums from that time;

Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Going For The One
Camel - Mirage
Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash
Rush - Fly By Night
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
Titus Groan - Titus Groan (a bit obscure - would love to learn more about these musicians)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Prog

Post by murf »

Earth calling Spiny.....

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

murf wrote:Earth calling Spiny.....
Blimey! :shock:

Some crackers there. :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

All a bit mainstream?

Far from an expert, but The Mighty Cope name checks loads, admittedly a lot German.

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

I think my better half would laugh if I told her my favourites is mainstream :D she hates prog

But they probably are. King Crimson's album was my introduction to prog, and I know that's a well known album in various groups. I do however need to be in the right mood to "learn" to dig a new album, I tried Mirage a couple years ago, and it didn't work out for me then. Right now it grows on me every time I listen to it.

I will check out The Mighty Cope

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

PleasedToMichu wrote:I think my better half would laugh if I told her my favourites is mainstream :D she hates prog

But they probably are. King Crimson's album was my introduction to prog, and I know that's a well known album in various groups. I do however need to be in the right mood to "learn" to dig a new album, I tried Mirage a couple years ago, and it didn't work out for me then. Right now it grows on me every time I listen to it.

I will check out The Mighty Cope
That's Julian Cope :wink:

Apparently KrautRockSampler (sp?) is a bit of a bible of German prog.

Not prog, but probably the best thing written for many, many years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgq5OjVTJRs

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

jeffmcgow has been on an interesting prog journey of late and it's well worth looking up his comments. Takeshi and Hogmeister have also been listening to some intriguing stuff for a while. :)

Blah as always knows his onions. :mrgreen:

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Ask the hive mind - "rateyourmusic" takes opinions from any music fan in the world who wants give an opinion, on every genre (you can sort by category, nationality, year, whatever) - here's their prog list (and that's just the top 5000 entries (!));

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?pa ... countries=

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

quizking wrote:Ask the hive mind - "rateyourmusic" takes opinions from any music fan in the world who wants give an opinion, on every genre (you can sort by category, nationality, year, whatever) - here's their prog list (and that's just the top 5000 entries (!));

Brilliant site, for finding long forgotten\unknown stuff 8-)

I've started a new thread to stop this one being derailed....

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=123591

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

quizking wrote:Ask the hive mind - "rateyourmusic" takes opinions from any music fan in the world who wants give an opinion, on every genre (you can sort by category, nationality, year, whatever) - here's their prog list (and that's just the top 5000 entries (!));

It's an awesome list much of which has been nicked from my record collection. :)

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

blahblah wrote: That's Julian Cope :wink:
lol, that's proof of my ignorance

Thanks for that link - it's similar lists that have been my method of finding new albums

primitive man
Grumpy Old Man

Post by primitive man »

Van der Graff's The Least we Can do is Wave To One Another & H to He Who Am the Only One are deffo worth a listen.
How about Jon Heismann's Coliseum (excuse spelling) For Those About to Die We Salute You
Bit more obscure and a bit jazzy Warm Dust - And it came to Pass (features a young Paul Carrick on keys)

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

primitive man wrote:Van der Graff's The Least we Can do is Wave To One Another & H to He Who Am the Only One are deffo worth a listen.
How about Jon Heismann's Coliseum (excuse spelling) For Those About to Die We Salute You
Bit more obscure and a bit jazzy Warm Dust - And it came to Pass (features a young Paul Carrick on keys)
Thanks for those! I will check them out. Actually, I have experience with Colosseum - particularly their live-album from 71' which I rate very high. Forgot to mention that album in my first post.

I see wikipedia is listing Colosseums first albums as Jazz Fusion - that's also a genre I'm curious about. Also dig Blood, Sweat & Tears' album - Child is Father to the Man, which I understand is a bit jazz-fusion.

primitive man
Grumpy Old Man

Post by primitive man »

PleasedToMichu wrote:
primitive man wrote:Van der Graff's The Least we Can do is Wave To One Another & H to He Who Am the Only One are deffo worth a listen.
Thanks for those! I will check them out. Actually, I have experience with Colosseum - particularly their live-album from 71' which I rate very high. Forgot to mention that album in my first post.

I see wikipedia is listing Colosseums first albums as Jazz Fusion - that's also a genre I'm curious about. Also dig Blood, Sweat & Tears' album - Child is Father to the Man, which I understand is a bit jazz-fusion.
For jazz fusion try Warm Dust https://www.discogs.com/search/ as its rather expensive to get hold of - go to discogs and search on band name - loads of tracks on there don't have to be a member (but it is free).

Yes I also like BS&T that album you said and the next (just called BS&T).
Can more or less listen to anything you fancy on that discog site tho.

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

Often I load up You and I and Heart of the Sunrise on You Tube

Never a Yes fan at the time but now I'm definately a convert

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Coincidentally: I went snooker last week and Steve Davis is doing a kids thing in Grtr Manchester on Wednesdays. (A tad odd, until I found out that he (too) has left darkest Essex for PRoM, when buying a cue in my new found quest to hit another 50 Break.)

Anyhow, he is a big Prog head, and used to do a Radio Prog (ho ho) playing Prog.

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

It's time to update this. Been a time recently with little energy to explore new albums, but some new albums have influenced me a lot recently. Before we head there; I'm really an album-guy. And I don't really pay attention to the vocals. I enjoy a good vocal, but pay very little attention of what they're actually singing about. Must say I've thought a lot about what I'm actually proposing is "really good sh*t" to buddies who actually cares what bands really 'means' in a particular song/album. Perhaps they see me as a really weird fellow; "digging that, whats wrong with him?!"

But I've been listening a lot too Renaissance's "Ashes Are Burning" and "Scheherazade and Other Stories" recently. Oh my how beautiful the voice of Annie Haslam is! And all I've picked up is that she went to a fair. Nobody was there.

I came across a new album by accident today, "Demon Fuzz - Afreaka!". Instant hit. That groovy first tune is amazing. I can't find it on Spotify, but here's a link to youtube (I really hope this is open to you guys in GB).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayDDa0SnUuc

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Novella is well worth a listen and yes her voice is indeed amazing. :)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”