To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Albums of the year 2016

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Albums of the year 2016

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Have to say, been a little dissapointed by this years output so far.
Black Star - David Bowie, lot of hype and I wonder if sentimentality was driving sales. tried, but never really got under my skin.

Adore Life - Savages, a little less frantic than their debut album, but still fairly raucous.
Distance Inbetween - The Coral, pleasantly surprised by this, possibly their best work.
A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead, thought a bit Pink Floydish, nothing really ground breaking, but grown on me.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Albums of the year 2016

Post by moonlightdribbler »

Been a bit slow to listen to many of 2016's releases, but I still think The Besnard lakes' 'A Coliseum Complex Museum' is a thing of beauty.

Music start at 1:25. DAT OUTRO.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

Views - Drake
TLOP - Kanye

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

this is right up there in terms of my purchases this year

No idea how original his riffs are but if they're all his own work, this lad has some pretty special talent. Both albums are very strong, he can definitely play (as can his sideshow bob) and he's got a great voice to boot.

MADCHESTER UTD
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won DT WC 2018
Won DT weekender wk 2 18/19
Won TFE 18/19

Post by MADCHESTER UTD »

Finally got the blossoms debut the other day. Only played the singles so far but obv will play the rest soon. Absolutely love getaway (my favorite song at mo) charmalagne, blown rose!

Ellen H. Bryan

Post by Ellen H. Bryan »

Zimmerman wrote:this is right up there in terms of my purchases this year

No idea how original his riffs are but if they're all his own work, this lad has some pretty special talent. Both albums are very strong, he can definitely play (as can his sideshow bob) and he's got a great voice to boot.
Cool man and amazing voice!

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

This is the year of the "dark" album for so many reasons; new out yesterday, and fantastic already - Leonard Cohen, You Want It Darker - already up on spotify premium, and also available here for free for a limited time; http://www.openculture.com/2016/10/leon ... -time.html

Nick Cave's Skeleton Tree, Bowie - Blackstar, and Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool also make my top ten so far ...

They'll be joined by slightly more cheerful offerings, probably including those by Car Seat Headrest, Sturgill Simpson, and Case/Lang/Viers. More to come.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:Have to say, been a little dissapointed by this years output so far.
Black Star - David Bowie, lot of hype and I wonder if sentimentality was driving sales. tried, but never really got under my skin.
Sorry, but this is borderline brilliant, imho, and I'm by no means a BIG fan.

It's autobiographical and the music references his works all wrapped up in an end of life reflection. Genius as opposed to his following the next big thing with the musicians of the time, while being seen as ahead of the curve - none of which is meant as an insult.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

It's ok, good if you like that sort of thing and only perceived as great because he died.

Like the Nick Cave (who I am a BIG fan of) album it is more about being art than enjoyable. Not one people will be digging out in years to come ahead of more accessible work.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I agree with fox. I just didn't enjoy the album and don't think the plaudits are deserved.

A) because it's Bowie
B) because he died

Tom Clarke from Rochdale brings that album out, no one bats an eyelid.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

As I doubt much more proper music is to be released now all the Christmas albums are coming out, this is my top 3 of the year.

In no particular order.
Deftones - Gore, absolute gem, Hearts/Wires the stand out track.
Pierce The Veil - Misadventures
Architects - All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us

Metallica - Hardwired... To Self-Destruct almost squeezed in, maybe needs a few more plays.

llama
Grumpy Old Man

Post by llama »

foxinthebox2001 wrote: Deftones - Gore, absolute gem, Hearts/Wires the stand out track.
Yes! Awesome album. Pretty much had it on repeat for the last few weeks.

Just got myself tickets to see them in London next May. 8-)

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Eeeh, I remember when this thread used to run to pages and pages. Are we all getting old and not listening to much new music?

Anyway, my favourite albums this year in no particular order are:

Curve of the Earth - Mystery Jets
Boy King - Wild Beasts
Brilliant Sanity - Teleman
The Bride - Bat for Lashes
Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead.

....though compiling that list makes me think it's been a while since I've listened to them. Radiohead possibly there out of habit/loyalty...it's no In Rainbows.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Can't remember being excited by many new albums this year. Many are weaker than previous outings (top of head - Pixies, Teleman, Nick Cave, Kate Tempest), still good but always disappointing when you know they have done better.

In fact, can't think of an album worthy of nomination. May look through my collection later.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

If nothing else that's encouraged me to have a delve into the Teleman past...I'm assuming you don't mean the Pete and the Pirates era?

murf
FISO Viscount

Re: RE: Re: Albums of the year 2016

Post by murf »

Darbyand wrote:If nothing else that's encouraged me to have a delve into the Teleman past...I'm assuming you don't mean the Pete and the Pirates era?
Both really. Prefer first Teleman album to this one and P & Ps even better.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

Starboy - The Weeknd.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

As far as i can see/tell/remember... I've only bought 7 albums released this year:

1) Radiohead Moon Shaped Pool
2) Leonard Cohen You Want it Darker
3) Michael Kiwanuka Love & Hate
4) Daughter Not to Disappear
5) Bat for Lashes The Bride
6) PJ Harvey The Hope Six Demolition Project
7) David Bowie Black Star

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Of those mentioned so far, Michael Kiwanuka, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Bat for Lashes and Mystery Jets all very good. Christine and the Queens, Band of Horses, Frightened Rabbit and the Chili Peppers also excellent. Will come up with a longer list once I've had a think...

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

After careful consideration and the playing of many new prog, folk and jazz type albums I would have to nominate:

Life in a Paper Boat by Kate Rusby

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

My Top 10 (better late than never ...)

Christine and the Queens – Chaleur Humaine Stylish electro-pop from Héloïse Letissier. One of those debut albums that sweeps all before it.
Leonard Cohen – You Want it Darker Nine poetic, perfectly crafted songs from a man who, like David Bowie, knew this would be his last album.
Red Hot Chili Peppers – The Getaway There’s nothing new here - RHCP albums do what it says on the tin – but they’re still the best rock band in the world, IMO.
Haley Bonar – Impossible Dream Folk/rock singer-songwriter from Dakota. Ten tight tracks, melodic and powerful, all quite wonderful.
Mystery Jets – Curve of the Earth Indie rock band from Twickenham. Anthemic soundscapes: a bit prog-rock in the manner of Pink Floyd/Muse etc
Black Peaches – Get Down You Dirty Rascals Much of this debut album is riff-based jazz-funk, which reminds me of some of my favourite Seventies bands: Little Feat, Camel, Weather Report, etc.
Miranda Lambert – The Weight of these Wings The best country album I’ve heard this year by far. There are some wonderful songs here, and despite it being a double, there are virtually no duds.
Madeleine Peyroux – Secular Hymns Gorgeous, late-night ballads beautifully produced and arranged, accompanied by gentle guitar and double bass.
Michael Kiwanuka – Love and Hate Unusual, this: a black musician who plays rock. The vocals are like Bob Marley singing soul music; the guitar sounds a bit like Dave Gilmour.
Grace – FMA From the way she sounds (Macy Gray with a touch of Beyoncé), you’d think Grace was black American, but it turns out she’s white Australian – and only 19 at that.

Runners up: Bat for Lashes, Beyonce, Suede, Lake Street Dive, Band of Horses, Angel Olsen, The Claypool Lennon Delirium, Frightened Rabbit, Nick Cave and Kate Rusby

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”