To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

First gig.

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

First gig.

Post by Spinynorman »

No doubt we have done this before but if we have it hasn't been for quite a while.

What was your first gig and what was your first festival or all all day outside concert?

Mine was Supertramp at The Odeon in Brum in 1974. (that's if you don't include Val Doonican at Great Yarmouth Pier in 1967)

I also went to Knebworth in 1979 to see amongst others Led Zeppelin. :)

How about you?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: First gig.

Post by blahblah »

The Teardrop Explodes in '81/2, and the erratic Cope is still a hero..

A thing in Sefton Park in the late 80's and still pi55ed that I didn't hit Glastonbury in 88 or 89 when the Waterboys rocked it big style. (They were shockingly good live until Mike went really god squaddie.)

I also sat thru Val :lol: at my parents behest during the last and worst family holiday in early 80's.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

EMF in 1989

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Queen at the NEC in 1986. Never done a festival, but saw INXS, The Alarm, Status Quo and Queen at all day Wembley Stadium event.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Ian McCullough at Kilburn Ballrooms in Nov 1989 was my first gig (after he'd left Echo and the Bunnymen)

Reading Festival in 1995 was my first festival. I also went in 97 and I can't remember which bands I saw at which one! Unfortunately I lost the posters I bought when I moved house but do have my signed photos of Eels and Electrafixion somewhere (probably in the shed). I know I saw Carter USM with Fruitbat sitting on a chair throughout as he'd damaged his ankle.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Making me feel old - mine was even earlier than Spiny's (not counting Val D)...

T.Rex at the height of Bolan mania. Capitol Theatre, Cardiff, June 1972.

Support act was Quiver, before their merger with the Sutherland Brothers.

...those were the days :D

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Hogmeister wrote:
I would have loved to have seen Tyrannosaurus Rex or T.Rex. :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Marc was in an early(ish) Bowie band, although he could still have been Jones then, and Marc's manager, or soon to be one, stopped him playing second string to Dave, as he was "shite" or something like that.

What about best gig?

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

All a bit hazy really - went to a few with my brother but first ones I can really remember properly (and went without a chaperone) were the U2 War tour and Quo's 'End of the road tour', which was in the early 80's and clearly not the end of the road at all as they kept touring for about 30 years afterwards. Bloody liars, although not bad going for a band that only had one song.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

unc.si. wrote:All a bit hazy really - went to a few with my brother but first ones I can really remember properly (and went without a chaperone) were the U2 War tour and Quo's 'End of the road tour', which was in the early 80's and clearly not the end of the road at all as they kept touring for about 30 years afterwards. Bloody liars, although not bad going for a band that only had one song.
One songs a bit harsh isn't it? I would say that U2 have at least two. :mrgreen:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Spinynorman wrote: One songs a bit harsh isn't it? I would say that U2 have at least two. :mrgreen:
Yep, a hideously over-rated band.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

1992, I think. Went to see James at the Wulfrun Hall, Wolverhampton.

Well actually went more to see the support act. Some group from Oxford called Radiohead. My mate had lent me the Pablo Honey cassette (!) which we both liked and I was the only driver so had to rely on my Metro City.

Was in a tiny mosh pit down the front, about 50 of us. I think that they only played Pablo Honey in full. Thom had a mass of bleached blonde spikey hair. All the James fans just couldn't be arsed and sat in the bar smoking and drinking. How wrong they were.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Hogmeister wrote:Making me feel old - mine was even earlier than Spiny's (not counting Val D)...

Support act was Quiver, before their merger with the Sutherland Brothers.

...those were the days :D
Wow, T Rex.

PS Was Donald in the Sutherland Brothers ? :P

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote:1992, I think. Went to see James at the Wulfrun Hall, Wolverhampton.

Well actually went more to see the support act. Some group from Oxford called Radiohead. My mate had lent me the Pablo Honey cassette (!) which we both liked and I was the only driver so had to rely on my Metro City.

Was in a tiny mosh pit down the front, about 50 of us. I think that they only played Pablo Honey in full. Thom had a mass of bleached blonde spikey hair. All the James fans just couldn't be arsed and sat in the bar smoking and drinking. How wrong they were.
Oh no, no, no!! James are one of the most under-rated band ever, imho.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote:The Teardrop Explodes in '81/2, and the erratic Cope is still a hero..

A thing in Sefton Park in the late 80's and still pi55ed that I didn't hit Glastonbury in 88 or 89 when the Waterboys rocked it big style. (They were shockingly good live until Mike went really god squaddie.)

I also sat thru Val :lol: at my parents behest during the last and worst family holiday in early 80's.
Julian Cope - Tamworth's finest 8-)

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote:
bluenosey wrote:1992, I think. Went to see James at the Wulfrun Hall, Wolverhampton.

No, not knocking them ,they were fine. It was just the sheer arrogance of the fans. You always check out the support act, don't you ? :?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Radiohead are awesome live aren't they. I've also seen James at some outdoor thing and they were great as well. :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: Julian Cope - Tamworth's finest 8-)
Actually from South Wales, but yep I'm not that pedantic :lol:

Probably the best gig(s) that I have been to. One in Liverpool in 1990\1 where he did three sets: 1st with an array of guitars taking requests; 2nd with band doing the latest album; then back with band doing the "favourites".

I'll pm you a link of the other one :wink:

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Spinynorman wrote:

Radiohead are awesome live aren't they. I've also seen James at some outdoor thing and they were great as well. :D
I only saw them one more time after OK Computer had been released and by then they were huge. It was at the NEC and I literally had to shove my way through the crowd to get a half decent view. I loved Kid A but I haven't really got them since.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote:
bluenosey wrote: Julian Cope - Tamworth's finest 8-)
Actually from South Wales, but yep I'm not that pedantic :lol:

Probably the best gig(s) that I have been to. One in Liverpool in 1990\1 where he did three sets: 1st with an array of guitars taking requests; 2nd with band doing the latest album; then back with band doing the "favourites".

I'll pm you a link of the other one :wink:
Aren't their gigs a bit similar? I mean, are they all wrapped up the same ?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: You always check out the support act, don't you ? :?
I'd give them a song or two - best I saw was House of Love supporting Felt or Wire: they pi55ed all over them and we ended up drinking with Guy in the bar, but he was a bit of a Cope wannabe......

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Pink Floyd in Paris (1994) was my first gig that i can remember.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Zimmerman wrote:Pink Floyd in Paris (1994) was my first gig that i can remember.
That's a pretty awesome first gig. :shock:

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

bluenosey wrote:
blahblah wrote:

No, not knocking them ,they were fine. It was just the sheer arrogance of the fans. You always check out the support act, don't you ? :?
I've seen some pretty bad ones and some gems.

One of the best (I thought at the time) was a band called the Flaming Mussolinis (think they supported INXS on the Listen like Thieves Tour at the B'ham Odeon). Me and my mate thought they were brilliant - bought the album and everything. Sunk without trace.

Worst treatment was also co-incidentally at an INXS gig - Kick tour in Liverpool. Sinead o'Connor supporting, with Andy Rourke playing in the band as well. She was fantastic but idiots in the crowd were shouting 'bonehead' and booing so she walked off after 3 or 4 songs. Criminal really.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Spinynorman wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:Pink Floyd in Paris (1994) was my first gig that i can remember.
Yeah, absolutely. I think people will see Zimmerman's post and think, sh*t, I can't live with that. Paris as well, ooooh. End of thread :wink:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Spinynorman wrote:

not a bad way to break my duck!
Went there on a coach from Blackpool to Paris!!
We had one day (extended morning) to ourselves; Eiffel Tower or Jim Morrison's grave? Guess which we went for :D

Was probably a late starter on the gig front... I would have been 18 for that Floyd gig.
Have since been to hundreds.

Most recently I went to see David Gilmore at the Royal Albert Hall. Would have been sensational apart from the fact the most i got to see of him was his left ear.
Turns out my 'restricted view' tickets... should have been labeled as 'completely obstructed'!!
Wasn't until he introduced the band before the encore we realised there were 3 other guys on stage (as well as the ones we could see).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote:
Spinynorman wrote:

not a bad way to break my duck!

Went there on a coach from Blackpool to Paris!!

We had one day (extended morning) to ourselves; Eiffel Tower or Jim Morrison's grave? Guess which we went for :D
Pigalle?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

don't know what/where that is :oops:

EDIT:

At the foot of Montmartre, Pigalle has a reputation as Paris's centre for sleaze. Peep shows and sex shops still do line the boulevard, but a younger, hipper and resolutely more wholesome crew line the pavements nowadays, queuing to get into cool music clubs like the Boule Noire, La Cigale and La Machine du Moulin Rouge – a hotbed of electro sound next door to the Moulin Rouge cabaret.

naw... would still have opted for the cemetery!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote:don't know what/where that is :oops:

EDIT:

At the foot of Montmartre, Pigalle has a reputation as Paris's centre for sleaze. Peep shows and sex shops still do line the boulevard, but a younger, hipper and resolutely more wholesome crew line the pavements nowadays, queuing to get into cool music clubs like the Boule Noire, La Cigale and La Machine du Moulin Rouge – a hotbed of electro sound next door to the Moulin Rouge cabaret.

naw... would still have opted for the cemetery!
From memory it is in\near Pigalle.

Oh two of us cleared a dance floor in a club in Pigalle to French Kiss 8-) :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: RE: Re: First gig.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:The Teardrop Explodes in '81/2, and the erratic Cope is still a hero..

I also sat thru Val Image at my parents behest during the last and worst family holiday in early 80's.
Waterboys was 86. I saw them the same weekend elsewhere (MK Bowl supporting Simple Minds amongst others). That was only my second gig after seeing U2 there the year before with a rather poor supporting bill including REM, The Ramones and Billy Bragg. Shame it rained at times, a big favtor at big outdoor gigs.

Never really done festivals apart from Glastonbury 99 when the sun shone. I remember feeling very old when Ash were on but I'm clearly still younger than most on this thread!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”