To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New Cricket Chit Chat to end of season with new rules

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy Cricket Games
Nabby
Grumpy Old Man

Re: New Cricket Chit Chat to end of season with new rules

Post by Nabby »

Unlucky to Billo and Mincer, but ultimately well played.
I think the game will be back minus the Elite Leagues next season. From a quick calculation of the numbers they made a hefty loss on those elite Leagues, and it just doesn't feel right to me that Sam wins more from the Elites than the Overall winner won (well done all the same Sam).It really didn't take a genius to work out that in a fantasy cricket game they were never going to get 100 people paying £50 a pop to enter a league. 59 people paying £50 is £2950 chasing a £4500 pot...ouch. serves them right in my opinion.

futabudgi
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Winner of 2015 Telegraph Fantasy Cricket

Post by futabudgi »

Nabby wrote:Unlucky to Billo and Mincer, but ultimately well played.
I think the game will be back minus the Elite Leagues next season. From a quick calculation of the numbers they made a hefty loss on those elite Leagues, and it just doesn't feel right to me that Sam wins more from the Elites than the Overall winner won (well done all the same Sam).It really didn't take a genius to work out that in a fantasy cricket game they were never going to get 100 people paying £50 a pop to enter a league. 59 people paying £50 is £2950 chasing a £4500 pot...ouch. serves them right in my opinion.
No offense taken Nabby and I completely agree with you. Billo has four teams in the top 10 and isn't rewarded well enough for that. I've been very fortunate this season and have won more than I did last season when I came 1st (but didn't have confidence to enter Elite Leagues) with teams that came 8th, 11th and 53rd this season. That's a bit silly.

Only caveats I would throw in are, 1) I did enter the three Elite Leagues and you have to be in it to win it!, 2) Darren also entered the three leagues but only he can explain why he selected the teams he did, 3) I hedged my bets across the three leagues, rather than entering the same team for every league as some people did. If I'd entered my top team at the time, Grouse (finished 53rd) in all three leagues, I would have had much less success overall.

BILLO
Kevin and Perry

Post by BILLO »

Nabby wrote:Unlucky to Billo and Mincer, but ultimately well played.
I have no problem with the Elite leagues, it's a separate bet. If you want to invest up to £75 and are savvy enough good luck in any rewards that come your way.
I do struggle to understand why someone would enter the £50 league and then not appear to manage the team leaving it to score under 15000 points, but maybe that's just me (tight).

mincer
Treebeard

Post by mincer »

Firstly, well played to all the winners (unlucky Billo...........so close).

I had a disaster in the Elite leagues. Completely messed up those teams. Didn't bring in Leach and Napier quick enough. The fixtures always seemed to be against bringing them in (should have placed quality above quantity).

In fact the only reason 'Oar' got near the top was due to a purple patch for Northeast when my captain.

The numbers for this year compared to last year is as follows:-

TFC 2015 - 13070
TFC 2016 - 11913

2020 2015 - 4867
2020 2016 - 4783

Hopefully still enough for Telegraph Towers to do it all over again in 2017. Thoroughly enjoyed it again.

joshchelseafc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by joshchelseafc »

230th for my single entry. Poor last week dropped me down 100 places. Best finish in all my years playing so can't be to annoyed.

Well done all prize winners. Hope the game is back next year I love it

roverinexile
FISOhead

Post by roverinexile »

joshchelseafc wrote:230th for my single entry. Poor last week dropped me down 100 places. Best finish in all my years playing so can't be to annoyed.

Well done all prize winners. Hope the game is back next year I love it
Agreed. Been playing since pen and paper in the Times in the 90s. Was great having name in print if only for a couple of weeks because I was too tight to pay the premium number to make transfers. Had one team flirting with the top 100 but it also had a bad week. After a tense battle, managed to pip Mr. Percik to one of the century league titles. Had a run at the final weekly and finished 3rd, so will try to have a go more often next year, though times make it difficult with work & young kids. Will certainly petition for it to be back, as summer would be a lot less fun without it.

maupassant
Cheetah
FS Record: regular player in Telegraph football and cricket

next season

Post by maupassant »

Have today received an email from Ian in response to asking what the chances are of fantasy cricket next season. Desperate news is his reply;

"It is very unlikely that we will be running any fantasy cricket games in the future, I'm afraid."

What can we do?

futabudgi
Red & Blue Braces

Re: next season

Post by futabudgi »

maupassant wrote:Have today received an email from Ian in response to asking what the chances are of fantasy cricket next season. Desperate news is his reply;

"It is very unlikely that we will be running any fantasy cricket games in the future, I'm afraid."

What can we do?
Very sad Maupassant, although I'm not surprised after I saw Mincer's stats which showed a 9% drop. That kind of deterioration is surprising considering the general increase in fantasy sports popularity and it doesn't take a genius to deduct the prize money from the entry fees and come to a rubbish conclusion, especially when you consider running costs and taxes that need to be paid as well.

If I were them, I would run another season but announce it as the final season ever. It's a natural season to end the game with the inevitability of city cricket and devaluation of the Championship itself. They might get a number of nostalgia players who played in 90s and 00s and fancy one last hurrah for what has become quite a legendary game. I've been disappointed by the lacklustre marketing in recent years and a quick email to previous players, some social media promotion, an effort to get counties and clubs involved and some advertising in the Telegraph would give a chance of 15000 to 20000 entries and potentially resurrect the game for future years.

Only alternative is for us to latch onto another provider. Perhaps, somebody who runs IPL or International fantasy cricket games and let them know there's a few thousand players looking for a summer county game and nowhere to go. They might be able to accommodate and produce a game with similar format to TFC. It won't be the same but it would be something.

It will certainly be weird to reach next Spring and not have TFC to look forward to.

irtysh
Treebeard

Post by irtysh »

Still surprised that the ECB don't run a free game. They must know that Fantasy Premier League has 3.5 million players and see the potential? Both rugby codes have caught on with their own games already.

Simenon
Treebeard
FS Record: TFC last season. Finished bottom of my private league...

Post by Simenon »

I think that all this discussion has shown that there is demand for TFC. However, I think that, if it happens next year, it'll be all or nothing. I doubt that they'd drop the Elite Leagues just for one year more - I don't know why this is, but it seems logical that they'd keep the whole thing if they were going to continue just for a short while longer.

That is, of course, unless they drop the Elite Leagues in a bid to reinvent the league and keep it going. They could do this, but I think, unfortunately, that it's more likely that they'll drop TFC. We weren't entirely sure they'd run it even this year, let alone next summer. Having been comprehensively trounced first time round however, I've now got a taste for TFC, so I will join in any action that could aid its retention.

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

Well,it's all over...... My usual awful season..in truth much worse than usual for me ,with my nine team private league having it's worst placement ever at 47.....

Apart from me being useless ,the events on here in August made me lose my appetite for the game for a number of weeks.....not the place that I would have expected to see silly and proven to be totally false,bitter comments directed at me (without apology from two).... still as I have said before, it takes all sorts!

Oh ,can't remember if I said amongst the chaos but it was official that there was a fault with mobile versions of the game, hence I found myself unable to transfer consistently in July into August.....Ironically my super 8 team which was totally frozen and beaten by Toby Tennant in week five by about 50 points was my eventual best placed side.....c'est la bloody vie!

To much more important things.....The findings of some of you good people re the future of the game is deeply disturbing. Like some of you I have played TFC from the very beginning (I don't do any other fantasy gaming) and it is a crucial part of the spring and summer....

I thought that the money leagues were a bizarre business proposition from the start... set up to let the best players select their best teams after x weeks?? It seems that this may be the straw that broke the camel's back.....

The ECB seem intent on destroying first class cricket.... Two different sorts of hit and hope..... give me strength..... I imagine there was embarrassment at the wonderful end of the season.....marginalise this national treasure by splitting the shortened season in two and condemning it to the vagaries of the weather in April and September and then complain that no one is interested....... It will be so sad if our game is also condemned to the dust bin.

I wiil also write to Ian....a thousand or so emails from us all can't hurt!

Next season Her Nibs and I will be on the other side of the world with all that means for running a few teams..... I had already negotiated permission..... and now this..... sigh......

Let's see what happens....

DD..

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

Oh, I had meant to welcome Simenon to the site! Enjoy your time here and (hopefully) with TFC....

Most of the folk who post here are decent sorts......!☺

DD...

Simenon
Treebeard

Post by Simenon »

Thanks! :D

Simenon
Treebeard

Post by Simenon »

Surprising development here. Durham have been relegated into the CC2 with Hampshire staying up. The reason? They borrowed more than they had.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cric ... 60284.html (there's a video)
ESPNcricinfo wrote:Durham have been relegated from the top flight of the County Championship, with Hampshire staying up in their place, after being hit with a penalty for receiving financial support from the ECB during the 2016 season. They will begin 2017 in Division Two with a 48-point penalty in return for a £3.8m bailout.

The club has accepted it will no longer be allowed to bid to host Test matches at Chester-le-Street, although they will be eligible for ODIs and T20 internationals. Durham will also start next season with -4 points in the NatWest T20 Blast and -2 points in the Royal London Cup; hand back non-player related ECB prize money for 2016; and be subject to a more closely controlled salary cap until 2020.

The financial aid package, which has been agreed between the ECB and Durham's board, is aimed at allowing the club to cover its operating costs, settle a proportion of outstanding debt and focus on restructuring.

"We've been working with Durham County Cricket Club throughout the year on how best to address their financial issues; we welcome the club's willingness to review its business model and management structures," Tom Harrison, the ECB's chief executive, said.

"There is no doubt that a strong, financially robust Durham has a vital role to play in developing England talent, enriching our domestic competitions and underpinning the wider growth of the game in the north east.

"The financial package and associated conditions approved by the ECB Board reflect the unprecedented seriousness of Durham's financial situation. To help them through these difficulties and continue as a first-class county, this had to be addressed with immediate, practical financial assistance. We also have a wider responsibility to the whole game and need strong deterrents in place to preserve the game's integrity and financial stability.

"Durham have made a strong contribution to the game as a first-class county, through domestic competitions, local participation and producing fine England players. We now look forward to working productively with the new Board of Directors in the restructured company and supporting a healthy future for Durham and the game in the north-east."

After enduring a troubled campaign on and off the field, Durham appeared to have secured their Division One status with back-to-back victories in their final two games of the season, over Surrey and Hampshire, who finished 45 points behind them in eighth place and were initially relegated alongside Nottinghamshire.

However, to retain their viability, Durham had to call upon assistance from the ECB - including an accelerated annual fee payment of £1.3m, as well as the rescheduling of their £923,000 staging fee for the second Test against Sri Lanka in May - to help service debts to the local council, believed to be in the region of £5-6 million.

The ECB spent the past week considering whether a sanction should be imposed. A points deduction was eventually deemed to be the only realistic option available to the board, given that a financial penalty would merely have exacerbated the club's issues.

"We are clearly disappointed at the position we are in and the sanctions we have accepted, particularly for the players and staff who have worked so hard to keep us in the first division," David Harker, the club's chief executive, said.

"However, we continue as a first-class county, will host international cricket and have a platform to stabilise and develop Durham County Cricket Club. It is important that the club addresses its serious financial challenges and puts the business on a sustainable footing and therefore we have had to accept the conditions offered by ECB.

"Other counties have faced serious financial challenges but have been able to find other solutions including private investors without this reliance on ECB. We will continue to work with the ECB to promote cricket in the North East and are committed to securing a successful sustainable future for Durham."

There is no suggestion of financial impropriety at Durham, and other Test-match grounds have accrued greater debts in the course of modernising their venues. However, the club's remote location has made it harder to diversify and generate the sort of revenues that keep their rivals solvent.

The club, which won the County Championship three times in six seasons between 2008 and 2013, has proven itself to be one of the most successful counties in terms of producing England players, with Ben Stokes and Mark Wood among the most recent examples. However, in a sign of potential struggles to come, they have lost two of their most influential batsmen of recent seasons, with Scott Borthwick and Mark Stoneman choosing to move to Surrey.

In a statement, Hampshire said that the club "deeply regrets the situation that Durham finds itself in and sends its sincere sympathies to the Club, its players, staff and of course its loyal supporters".

The club chairman, Rod Bransgrove, added: "I also fully endorse the support of ECB in helping one of its 18 first-class stakeholders to survive in the long-term and am satisfied that the sanctions imposed as a result of Durham's circumstances are fair and have been well considered. Of course, the fact that Hampshire benefit from all of this is fortuitous for the Club and will give us all a great boost as we plan for next summer.

"Given the unprecedented list of injuries that we faced this year, I believe that we will not discredit the First Division next season and I am very much looking forward to seeing what the 2017 campaign will bring with a full-strength and enhanced Hampshire squad."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

getfunky
Red & Blue Braces

Post by getfunky »

Feel for Durham but as a Surrey fan I'm more than happy to take Borthwick & Stoneman off their hands, they should add some valuable experience to what's a young up & coming squad.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Simenon wrote:I think that all this discussion has shown that there is demand for TFC. However, I think that, if it happens next year, it'll be all or nothing. I doubt that they'd drop the Elite Leagues just for one year more - I don't know why this is, but it seems logical that they'd keep the whole thing if they were going to continue just for a short while longer.

That is, of course, unless they drop the Elite Leagues in a bid to reinvent the league and keep it going. They could do this, but I think, unfortunately, that it's more likely that they'll drop TFC. We weren't entirely sure they'd run it even this year, let alone next summer. Having been comprehensively trounced first time round however, I've now got a taste for TFC, so I will join in any action that could aid its retention.
Cricket lends itself perfectly to fantasy sports, but whilst the Telegraph have the ridiculous "daily transfers and be around for team news at 11am every day" set up only a tiny minority of interested people will actually play. Needs to be old rules (ish) - pick a team, 30 (ish) transfers but only for full games - no transferring out/in during games.

I was much better at fantasy cricket than fantasy football but stopped when this started (think last season, and best, was when Gough and Caddick ran riot)!

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

Hello hancockjr.....yup I recall well the days of which you speak..... having to get the weekly transfer code from the newspaper etc..good times!

Regarding the Durham debacle.... I was aware that there was an issue but this seems desperately unfair, to say the least. All that I know is that the county spent a shed load ,encouraged by the ECB,in that daft scramble for test status some years ago. In addition to not getting the cream of the fixtures ,they had shocking luck with the weather for a high proportion of the ones they were granted..

I believed that the ECB were aware of the situation all season.... and then this! The relegation itself is a disgrace but to make it almost impossible to come up next season as well is an insult as is losing test status.Does anyone know if they will retain ODIs?

The fact that Hampshire, who also chased the test status golden dream ,should benefit so massively in this of all seasons makes the whole thing stink....at best....hmm

I really hope that Colly stays on long enough to see them back up but with ECB imposed salary caps etc it will be damned hard.....

I am not a Durham supporter as such ,although they are one of about five counties for whom I have an 'affection.'......I simply think that they have been treated with bizarre harshness and that it just 'isn't cricket!' Talk about kicking a man when he's down!

DD...

futabudgi
Red & Blue Braces

Post by futabudgi »

Interesting they've decided to interview the winner again this year:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fantasy-spor ... -champion/

Strange decision considering they don't plan to bring it back again.

Simenon
Treebeard

Post by Simenon »

I also think that Kent should have been promoted instead of Hampshire being retained.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

About as succinct an article on how Durham have been totally ducked over by the ECB.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cric ... 60344.html

Absolute pack of c****

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

Simenon,sorry hadn't picked up on the ODI point from your cricinfo article... earlier it wasn't clear from the BBC nor indeed Durham what was to happen.

Moist, excellent article. Says most of what I have been thinking...... not sure if it picked up on the .ehhh....'irony'.....of Hampshire getting to benefit.....

If anything I think you are being polite about the ECB under the present regime......Everything going to hell in a handcart.......

In reading about the latest garbage to be stated by Mr Stokes, I was astounded to see that this shining example of decorum and behaviour has been appointed vice captain of the ODI side on this incredibly sensitive tour.....Staggering..... I wouldn't have him as vice captain of a table top cricket game side! Good old ECB.......

Oh remarkable warm up game..... awful figures from Rashid......shame that Leach/Rayner aren't there....

Let's hope all goes well....

DD.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Yes, in the Hampshire v Kent debate I have seen it pointed out which way each county voted in the T20...

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

After his performance the other day, great show by Rashid and totally fabby by Ball!☺

DD.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Simenon wrote:I also think that Kent should have been promoted instead of Hampshire being retained.

x2

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:About as succinct an article on how Durham have been totally ducked over by the ECB.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cric ... 60344.html

Absolute pack of c****
Mark Wood bowled 35 overs in the final Durham match, desperately trying to keep them up, an effort that landed him with a broken foot. Now it turns out the match was meaningless anyway.

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

Am I correct in understandingly that the ridiculous present ECB,under Colin Graves,have now decided that the nonsense 2nd tier of hit and hope is now deferred until 2020?.....There can only be one ,in any serious analysis....

On the one hand this is great but on the other , first class cricket has been destroyed for no reason.....and possibility TFC.... .Time to get rid.......

DD....

Ducks Deluxe
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ducks Deluxe »

Is anyone looking forward to the Test series starting in the morning? :)

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Ducks Deluxe wrote:Is anyone looking forward to the Test series starting in the morning? :)

It was end of day three before I noticed there was one..... :oops:

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Shame someone who I don't believe even poss can change the shape of the forum. I post less than I'd like on the cricket forum due to work etc but was always a favourite. Never even look at any others these days as they had simply generated into farce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Cricket”