To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Android TV box

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Android TV box

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I've been considering one of these for my TV, being that the built in Netflix seems reluctant to work with any regularity and a decent Android box could also stream & the like. However, there seems to be so many of them out there and contains some great ans some pretty scathing reviews. I'm not really sure what I should be looking out for as an essential feature. Could anyone with a bit more knowledge shed some light on the matter? Thanks

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Re: Android TV box

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

You mention Showbox, add Megabox to that.
The one essential I would suggest is a box with a hard drive, 6gb at least, that way you can download movies and tv shows instead of streaming, which can be intermittent, even with a fast broadband. Its down to their servers, which can also shutdown at a moments notice.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

This is where Ive got to so far lol

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... oid+tv+box

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Ive plumped for a Matricom G-Box Q Quad/Octo Core XBMC/Kodi Android TV Box [2GB/16GB/4K]
Any tips from those who understand XMBC & KODI would be useful.

Merlins_Apprentice
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Merlins_Apprentice »

I use the Phoenix video add on to watch the footy, they always seems to have decent streams on there. I tend to watch the nbc sports ones

You need a decent broadband for them though, mine isn't the best so if the kids are online also i get buffer problems but mine is only around 4mb at best

I'll be upgrading soon to bt infinity (or equivalent) thought to sort that

Merlins_Apprentice
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Merlins_Apprentice »

I actually jail broke my old iPad 1 and installed kodi on that also, so can stream it on that- handy if away or again the kids are using the TV

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Been told that the M8 box is pretty good. Advised to get it 'fully loaded' with all the software to get stuff like ALL premiership football and movies that are only just in cinemas etc.

All seems pretty dodgy but widely available on Amazon (which suggests a level of legitimacy) from about £32....

Anybody know any more? Got one? Advise if I need to look for a certain spec level???

(I was just looking for when my sky is down (probably wouldn't be delivered in time anyway) but could be good long term )

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Have an MXIII 4k MBox running KODI (visit http://kodi.tv/download/ for the latest version and the forum for advice / tips / tricks with add-ons etc).

I use Genesis for Movies and TV box sets although Icefilms is also good. Sports slightly less successful - tried Phoenix and P2P streams but find them to be hit and miss or buffering problems despite having Virgin Media broadband. Open to advise on this one!

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Re: RE: Re: Android TV box

Post by thebillfella »

Will do. Cheers

Maldini
Dumbledore

Android TV box

Post by Maldini »

Are these M8 boxes any good to those of us who can just about turn a laptop on?
Simply can't justify the cost of Sky anymore.

Ps...anyone know if you can get the NRL* on them?

*Australian Rugby League.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Reading the M8 reviews, some say it is simple to set up and others that it is tricky but loads of tutorials on YouTube.

Think I am getting one but would like to be advised if better alternative or if there are good and bad makes/specs etc.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Yep, just been reading reviews. I suppose at half the cost of what I pay per month for Sky, it's worth a go.

Thanks murf.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

murf wrote:Reading the M8 reviews, some say it is simple to set up and others that it is tricky but loads of tutorials on YouTube.

Think I am getting one but would like to be advised if better alternative or if there are good and bad makes/specs etc.
It would be incredibly tricky without the youtube tutorials, but with them its pretty simple. I'd keep the extra money you'd pay to get it 'fully loaded' and use that on a better box.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Cheers. What would you suggest as a 'better box'? Better than M8 or a better spec'd M8???

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Beerfuelledman wrote:
murf wrote:Reading the M8 reviews, some say it is simple to set up and others that it is tricky but loads of tutorials on YouTube.

It would be incredibly tricky without the youtube tutorials, but with them its pretty simple. I'd keep the extra money you'd pay to get it 'fully loaded' and use that on a better box.
An M8 Box "fully loaded" is only £32 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Latest- ... oid+tv+box

Having read a brief discussion on Digital Spy, the one getting the most praise was the Minix Neo Z64, but that is about £92 http://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Android-S ... op?ie=UTF8

I can't find a non fully-loaded M8 box so can't see how much extra I would be paying for that.

What advantages are there in a £90 box over a £30 one?? I don't want or need to go cheap and nasty but am reluctant to pay 3 times as much for something that isn't much better (to be honest, I haven't got much of a clue what I am looking at or what the differences are....). Is there a mid-price box that gets good reviews? Are they all 'fully loadable'???

Help.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Will the cheap Amazon box be useful on a Saturday afternoon?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:Will the cheap Amazon box be useful on a Saturday afternoon?
Apparently, yes (the "fully loaded" bit means it includes apps(?) for that sort of semi-legal stuff)....

PS Still haven't ordered one so any advice from anybody greatly received!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

My (limited) understanding is that it needs "Apps" as it runs on Android ie a mobile phone\computer interface. So it isn't clear if it is web-based ie it will play random sites on Monday evening, Sunday late afternoon etc as the boxes can be locked down....

It would be handy if someone had one, and could provide some enlightenment.

Plan B (shite band) is to connect old laptop to tv :(

el_cee
Treebeard

Post by el_cee »

They are ok but nothing you can't achieve with a laptop and I find a laptop easier to use.

el_cee
Treebeard

Post by el_cee »

FYI - If you do go for an Android box this Facebook group gives useful info for setting it up without having to pay someone to pre-install everything https://www.facebook.com/groups/TBBUILDKODI/?fref=nf

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Discovered a new android app.
On browser Google for Cinema Box, and clink the links to download app.
Some great brand new series from terrestrial and satellite channels, also has a lot of new movies.
Just watched ep 2 of GoT 6, excellent quality.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:Discovered a new android app.
Some great brand new series from terrestrial and satellite channels, also has a lot of new movies.
Brilliant app!
Just downloaded and watching GoT6 episode 1.
Do you know if programmes can be downloaded and watched offline?

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Surprised wrote:
foxinthebox2001 wrote:Discovered a new android app.
Brilliant app!
Just downloaded and watching GoT6 episode 1.
Do you know if programmes can be downloaded and watched offline?
On a tablet, touch the screen anywhere when the film/episode begins playing.
There are 3 drop down icons at the top right corner, touch the down arrow and you have the option of downloading.
Last edited by foxinthebox2001 on 02 May 2016, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

On the front menu there are 2 icons top right, the file icon goes to categories, the other one is search.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Search isn't very good. I searched for GoT and got loads of different stuff.
Another good app is filmontv although it's only good for showing UK tv for free such as BBC, ITV, C4, Dave.
The other tv channels and movies aren't up to much

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Stopped working now

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Surprised wrote:Stopped working now

yes, I've been using filmontv for a while now as it was just easier than switching between iplayer/itvplayer/4OD etc and its switched to being paid for over the weekend. Uninstalled.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore

Surprised wrote:Search isn't very good. I searched for GoT and got loads of different stuff.
Another good app is filmontv although it's only good for showing UK tv for free such as BBC, ITV, C4, Dave.
The other tv channels and movies aren't up to much
When you search try typing the most obscure word of the title, game of thrones brings up every title with game, of, or thrones in it.
But just type thrones, and you get straight to it.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:

yes, I've been using filmontv for a while now as it was just easier than switching between iplayer/itvplayer/4OD etc and its switched to being paid for over the weekend. Uninstalled.
SD is still free but HD has been a pay thing a while now. If I have to pay for SD then the app is gone.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Surprised wrote:
Moist von Lipwig wrote:

SD is still free but HD has been a pay thing a while now. If I have to pay for SD then the app is gone.

ah, maybe I've had it on HD there without realising it, I'll go back and check.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”