To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Clinical Trials

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Clinical Trials

Post by Ashers »

Just been Googling this more out of interest than to take part and was shocked to see how much you can get paid. The money seems to range from £50 to take part in surveys and studies, but up to £3,000 for a residential stays where you will be tested with new drugs.

What are people thoughts on this?

Would you ever volunteer?

Does anyone know anyone that has ever done this and what was their experience?

Which companies are best to go through if you were to take part?

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Re: Clinical Trials

Post by mikeg13 »

My son has done a few, just in last few months of one thats gone on for a few years, probably not quite same as what you are interested in as his has no finance involved.
In his case its quite involved (record keeping) and would make sure you understand exactly what is expected of you and any potential problems that could affect you, he has to attend clinics at different times and if you have a job or commitments this could be a problem.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Ashers wrote:Just been Googling this more out of interest than to take part and was shocked to see how much you can get paid. The money seems to range from £50 to take part in surveys and studies, but up to £3,000 for a residential stays where you will be tested with new drugs.

What are people thoughts on this?

Would you ever volunteer?

Does anyone know anyone that has ever done this and what was their experience?

Which companies are best to go through if you were to take part?
Just don't watch this week's Elementary.....

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Don't know much about human trials but do know a bit about clinical trials for animal drugs. Stage 1 trials are the riskier ones as it will be the first time the drug is tested in humans - generally use healthy people as they are tests for safety. Stage 2 and 3 trials are larger scale and more likely to use people that have the illness to test efficacy.

They are very well controlled, but there is still a small risk with stage 1 trials as side effects won't be known, hence they tend to include a residential stay if the drugs are significantly different to anything else already tested. If you're thinking about your partner then I suspect that they would have to wait a certain period of time after the birth (and definitely won't be allowed if they are breastfeeding). Quite disruptive with young kids.

Have to pass a medical and I don't think you can sign up for many different ones in a period of time. Pretty safe in the scheme of things I think but personally wouldn't do it if I had young kids (I wouldn't do it anyway as don't have the time).

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

20 years ago I was talking about this when working at Manchester Airport, I mentioned the rumour that you could get £17k for having your heart temporarily stopped in a trial. Jimmy, the wannabe inventor always on the lookout for a great idea, said he could be quite tempted by doing that a few times to earn some cash. Had to point out that it wasn't recommended to do it more than once :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”