To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GW 17 Captain

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

What's your captain pick for GW 17?

Austin v WBA H
13%
Benteke v MUN H
No votes
Berahino v QPR A
0%
Bony v HUL A
8%
Carroll v LEI H
2%
Diego Costa v STK A
11%
Downing v LEI H
2%
Eriksen v BUR H
7%
Fabregas v STK A
No votes
Giroud v LIV A
No votes
Hazard v STK A
7%
Kane v BUR H
3%
Lukaku v SOU A
No votes
Mata v AST A
No votes
Nasri v CPA H
0%
Papiss Cissé v SUN H
No votes
Pellè v EVE H
0%
Rooney v AST A
2%
Sakho v LEI H
2%
Sanchez v LIV A
6%
Sigurdsson v HUL A
No votes
Silva v CPA H
3%
van Persie v AST A
10%
Yaya Touré v CPA H
23%
Zabaleta v CPA H
No votes

Total votes: 217

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Re: GW 17 Captain

Post by gallus »

KingCabbage wrote:
gooberman wrote:I find it staggering that Toure is leading the captaincy poll right now. Are we that hopeful that City will get a penalty?
This does suggest you think Yaya's only chance of points is if City are awarded a penalty. He's scored 4 goals in the league this season - only 1 was a penalty, vs Everton.

He can always get an assist too, so whilst a penalty would be nice, it's certainly not the only thing I'm hopeful of.
Exactly, he scored 3 goals from open play and now he's playing even deeper than before. Captaining him is insane.

KingCabbage
Grumpy Old Man

Post by KingCabbage »

gallus wrote:
KingCabbage wrote:
gooberman wrote:I find it staggering that Toure is leading the captaincy poll right now. Are we that hopeful that City will get a penalty?
This does suggest you think Yaya's only chance of points is if City are awarded a penalty. He's scored 4 goals in the league this season - only 1 was a penalty, vs Everton.

He can always get an assist too, so whilst a penalty would be nice, it's certainly not the only thing I'm hopeful of.
Exactly, he scored 3 goals from open play and now he's playing even deeper than before. Captaining him is insane.
He's had 7 attempts on goal since Aguero got injured. 4th highest in midfielders over the last 2 games. Plus - he might not play deeper at all. And if he does, if City are attacking for most of the game, as expected, I'm sure he'll be spending a lot of time in the final 3rd.

It's certainly not insane, and there's not really any stand out choices. Take Austin - WBA have the joint best defence on the road this season, conceding only 7 goals. You could also say he's not a very good captain pick either.

rodders1983
Kevin and Perry

Post by rodders1983 »

gallus wrote:
KingCabbage wrote:

3 goals in his last 5 games and 8 bonus points across them matches too. On pens and free kicks... Hardly staggering!

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

KingCabbage wrote: Take Austin - WBA have the joint best defence on the road this season, conceding only 7 goals. You could also say he's not a very good captain pick either.
I think Yaya is as good as any of the other choices this week, but as i don't have him or RvP it will probably be Austin for me. I will consider Sanchez, Hazard and Eriksen as well.

WBA's away record is largely flattered by keeping cleansheets away to scoreless (at the time) Leicester and a Hull side who have also found goals very hard to come by.

They did get a very good 1-0 win in September away at Spurs in another Spurs' post Europa League game calamity. Their other away results being a 3-0 loss at Swansea and two 2-0 losses to Liverpool and Chelsea.

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 28640....

Post by Bertie64 »

Calling someone 'Insane' seems a little strong because they choose Yaya (c)... :?

He's quite a lot of money so would seem very expensive for someone you weren't comfortable captaining... and if you aren't going to pick him (c) at home to Palace, when are you going to? Especially when there isn't a real stand-out pick.

I agree that there are a few question marks over where he will play, but its hardly an insane choice. Maybe more insane to spend that much on a MF you won't captain at home against a team they should beat comfortably...

Silva is tempting me too, but I just can't see past Sanchez/Giroud. Liverpool looked pretty shaky in defence last night and both sides could rack up a few in this one. But I'm slightly surprised to find they only leaked 4 in the last 6 at home :shock:

At the moment Sanchez or Giroud (c), Fabregas or Hazard (v)

Tonski21
Wideboy

Post by Tonski21 »

Does anyone have an data on how Hazard has done away from home in previous seasons? I'm thinking of captaining this week but his away record this season is putting me off slightly. I seem to remember him scoring a few goals last season though and with his current form could still be a good choice. It wouldn't surprise me if Chelsea got a penalty against that Stoke defence too.

Aar0n_28
FISOhead

Post by Aar0n_28 »

Hull are in absolute bits. I've 95% decided to go with Bony now.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Bertie64 wrote:Calling someone 'Insane' seems a little strong because they choose Yaya (c)... :?

He's quite a lot of money so would seem very expensive for someone you weren't comfortable captaining... and if you aren't going to pick him (c) at home to Palace, when are you going to? Especially when there isn't a real stand-out pick.

I agree that there are a few question marks over where he will play, but its hardly an insane choice. Maybe more insane to spend that much on a MF you won't captain at home against a team they should beat comfortably...

Silva is tempting me too, but I just can't see past Sanchez/Giroud. Liverpool looked pretty shaky in defence last night and both sides could rack up a few in this one. But I'm slightly surprised to find they only leaked 4 in the last 6 at home :shock:

I rate Yaya as a footballer, but not as a fpl pick. Silva is 2.0 cheaper and will probably play as a striker, if I had him I'd captain him. Yaya is not consistent enough to be a good captain choice. He's kind of like Baines - could get a 10+ haul at any time, but rarely does. That makes him a good differential pick, but a bad captain pick imho, and 10.8 is too much for a differential.

I know that the "not consistent enough" part also applies to Silva, but the main problem with Silva is that he's usually the guy who assists the assister. That won't be a problem if he plays as a false 9. :wink:

KingCabbage
Grumpy Old Man

Post by KingCabbage »

If he plays as a false 9. We won't know until after this GW has started and the fact is there's not many better alternatives to Yaya - there's things going against any player you're considering captaining this GW. That's the bottom line.

sunnO)))jihai
FISOhead

Post by sunnO)))jihai »

So much Yaya talk, there can be only one outcome :arrow: Yaya (c) Austin (v)

Bertie64
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 28640....

Post by Bertie64 »

gallus wrote:
Bertie64 wrote:Calling someone 'Insane' seems a little strong because they choose Yaya (c)... :?

I rate Yaya as a footballer, but not as a fpl pick. Silva is 2.0 cheaper and will probably play as a striker, if I had him I'd captain him. Yaya is not consistent enough to be a good captain choice. He's kind of like Baines - could get a 10+ haul at any time, but rarely does. That makes him a good differential pick, but a bad captain pick imho, and 10.8 is too much for a differential.

I know that the "not consistent enough" part also applies to Silva, but the main problem with Silva is that he's usually the guy who assists the assister. That won't be a problem if he plays as a false 9. :wink:
I do agree with you. I just think most people who paid over 10m for Yaya must have considered that he was suitable as (c), and there will hardly be a better time than this week to do that. That's partly why I decided against him. It seemed a lot of dough for someone who I probably would not captain.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

It's on Baines at the moment. Downing VC.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Douglas Reynholm »

They paid 10m because they jumped the gun and assumed he will play behind the striker.

I bet they all secretly hope he gets booked.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

gunnersaurus wrote:They paid 10m because they jumped the gun and assumed he will play behind the striker.

Why does everyone assume that the likelihood of them playing with a false number 9 will see him play deeper? I can see it resulting in him playing further forward, perhaps in the hole vacated by Silva or whoever pushing up top..

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Notned wrote:
gunnersaurus wrote:They paid 10m because they jumped the gun and assumed he will play behind the striker.

Why does everyone assume that the likelihood of them playing with a false number 9 will see him play deeper? I can see it resulting in him playing further forward, perhaps in the hole vacated by Silva or whoever pushing up top..
Me too.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

Notned wrote:

What happened last week? Didn't see the game so can't really comment.

Did the lack of a striker see him take charge or did he sit back deeper?

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

Last week was different as the whole game plan was based around Dzeko. This week they've had a week to prepare for a false 9.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

SFC_Fan wrote:Last week was different as the whole game plan was based around Dzeko. This week they've had a week to prepare for a false 9.
Dzeko didn't play though and I'm sure MP was not snookered by the fact that Dzeko got injured.

I mean, it didn't happen during the game.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

Well, i not so secretly would like to see him or Sanchez get injured so I could spend all that money. At least they've both brought in the points. But there's no doubt their places in the team have to be monitored.

SFC_Fan
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL: 1276, 1804, 2924, 9139, 18292, 22,120.

Post by SFC_Fan »

Pozo played as a like for like replacement. Since then Pellegrini has said they've been working in training with Silva, Nasri and Milner as a false nine.

I doubt they had done that much before.

Douglas Reynholm
Grumpy Old Man

SFC_Fan wrote:Pozo played as a like for like replacement. Since then Pellegrini has said they've been working in training with Silva, Nasri and Milner as a false nine.

I doubt they had done that much before.
Ah ok, but plan B didn't involve Toure getting thrust into an attacking position so not sure why people think it will he different this week when all he has done is to talk up Silva, Nasri and Milner.

It's quite possible that without Kompany and a striker that he might want Toure to sit deep so he can dominate that area and give the team a more solid base, it's not like he is short of attacking midfielders.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I've bought Silva and given him the armband. So you can be sure he'll miss 2 pens, a 6" tap in, get sent off twice, break his leg running down the tunnel and get linked to Jimmy Savile in an Internet scam.

Be warned, I've soiled him.

chandler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by chandler »

Billy Bongo wrote:6" tap in
Strangely specific

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

If it's farther than that he passes to the person who passes to the person who scores

fplfanatic
Wideboy

Post by fplfanatic »

A tough one this week. Have it currently on Eriksen, but still not 100% yet.
Also find the prospect of Lukaku appealing, and Harry Kane.
Ah can't decide! :D :lol:

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Yes Carlos, a wonderful goal there, but we shouldn't be too swayed by it. After all, he is also capable of doing this. :wink:

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

That's okay, I'm sure every player has made a mistake once or twice in their careers, sometimes they do it when the ball isn't even moving. I seem to remember he scored and got bonus points in that game too. :lol:

But hey at least that was on target.

Look at his face after this miss. :lol:

To be honest there were too many results for Pirlo miss for me to post them all here. :wink:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

Yes but Andrea Pirlo isn't really relevant to the GW17 captain thread, is he? :wink:

Edwaardz
Treebeard

Post by Edwaardz »

Rooney has just 2 out of 148 votes. 3 goals and 1 assist in his last 4 games.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”