To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Which defensive combination?

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).

Which defensive combination will score more points from now until the end of the January WC?

Yun + Baines
58%
Chambers + Azpilicueta
42%

Total votes: 31

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Which defensive combination?

Post by First Sub Podcast »

I've decided I want Sigurðsson back in my team at the expense of Downing this GW.

This leaves me requiring 0.9mil to fund the change (and a 4 point hit)

I have two options:

Baines :arrow: Azpilicueta

or

Chambers :arrow: Yun

I've added a poll as I'm finding it way too hard to call which combination I think will score the most from now until the WC is available.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Re: Which defensive combination?

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Just one added detail, I'm assuming that you will never bench Azpilicueta or Baines, but how much more often will you play Chambers than Yun?

I think it's really close, because the fixtures may mean that Azpilicueta can do as well as Baines, but in a couple of weeks the same may be said for Yun up against Chambers. I think even though they have looked shaky, an Arsenal defender for so cheap is hard to turn down.

Baines and Yun are probably more highly nailed on for over the Christmas period, but we don't even know if Baines will play at the weekend.

On balance I went for Chambers and Azpilicueta, but it's close, and it will be interesting what the FISO members vote for.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Correct, I'd always play either Baines or Azpilicueta and more than likely play Chambers more than Yun. My other three defenders are Bertrand, Wisdom and Duff.

I'm happy to keep Bertrand it's worth adding.

Previously I've considered Baines a pick and leave for the season player which is leaning me towards Chambers :arrow: Yun.

If Southampton struggle with the more difficult fixtures I could shoehorn Bertrand :arrow: Azpilicueta but that would be for another week.

Be interesting to know others views.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

I went for Baines and Yun, simply due to the idea that Baines has a lot more scoring potential than Azpilicueta and Chambers combined, not in the least as I can see Azpilicueta and Chambers being rotated during the Christmas period and I think Baines is less likely to see a game on the bench.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Baines next six are probably as bad as Bertrand's.

Azpilicueta's run to the January wildcard is fantastic, a lot of people have been saying they would sell Baines if his fixtures were as bad as the Southampton ones, well they for the next six, I would say they are. :lol:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Baines on pens free kicks washing up ironing and drives the coach home.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Carlos Kickaball wrote:Baines next six are probably as bad as Bertrand's.
I wouldn't say so at all personally, though I guess it's slightly subjective. Either way, you've grumbled in the past about posters selectively choosing specific game stretches to back up their arguments. So, I find it a bit strange that's you'd ignore games 7 and 8 (at least) - especially bearing in mind they also come about before the January wildcard is available.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Well my point would be that the future scores are unknowns, sell Bertrand in 6 weeks, or bring Baines back in 6 weeks if you feel the fixtures depart in difficulty there.

Baines' next three away games are not very nice at all, though I will admit the home ones balance it up a bit. To be honest Stem, Baines' second fixture against Man City in week 21 is just as bad, and probably before the Jan WC unless you play it very early. Southampton's defence has been much better than Everton's and Bertrand isn't a doubt for the weekend, and cost most people 2m less so selling him would free up much less money.

I don't really mind when people take an unusual sample of games from the past, if they do, to try and show that one player is a lot better than another, and the conclusion is obviously flawed, you should point out why with the evidence from the other weeks, rather than say the approach is always invalid. I don't really think I'm doing the same here anyway because I'm looking at future fixtures and you can change timings of transfers to get around that.
Last edited by Carlos Kickaball on 27 Nov 2014, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Chambers and Azpi for me. Just.

Always going to be a tough decision when you add being able to afford Baines into the equation though!

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

The vote currently at 6-5 to the Yun and Baines route which shows how close the call is.

Would I be better off going for Yun, holding Baines and looking at getting Azpilicueta in for Bertrand within the next few GW's?

bulgarche
FISOhead
FS Record: 192 038st season 2011/2012

Post by bulgarche »

This: Baines + Kompany + Ivanovic + Chambers + Shaw

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

bulgarche wrote:This: Baines + Kompany + Ivanovic + Chambers + Shaw
Sigurðsson + Di Maria + Sanchez + Hazard instead please 8-)

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Boyd+Can+Barton+Wanyama+Siggy sounds amazing :lol:

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

gallus wrote:
Boyd+Can+Barton+Wanyama+Siggy sounds amazing :lol:
Leave bulgarche alone. He has a six-year record of respectable finishes using one of the most ridiculous FPL strategies known to man. :lol:

bentapp
FISOhead

Post by bentapp »

Surely once Debuchy is back Chambers will be dropped? Hence I went for Baines and Yun.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”