To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Who To Bench Thread 2014-15

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Re: Who To Bench Thread 2014-15

Post by MoSe »

for what my opinion is worth:
Notned wrote:Chambers, Alderweireld, Taylor, Dummett, Duff.
Am I correct in thinking the logical decision is to play Taylor, Duff and Chambers?
notned: yes, but as Duff is at 50%, in which sub order do you place Alder & Dummett?

arv: I'd leave it as it is too (unless Monk prefers the fit again Amat, in which case Yun will sub)
___

now to my choice

BENCH ONE:
  • Chambers @ wba
    Clyne v MCI
  • Dummett @ whu
they might play all 3 as well, as I have Doubtful Baines (& others) on the pitch (and Vlaar out injured)
my current choice is Dummett, as highlighted by the dot, and coherently with the opinions expressed above :)
Carlos Kickaball wrote:I will be playing Dummett, Chambers and Hutton, with Bertrand second sub (but first defensive sub)
I suppose CK would advise me instead to play Dummett over Clyne
well, that is my doubt too, or I hadn't even posted this in the first place
What comforts me, is that Agüero might be tired, and City defence is not indeed the most... unpercolative? :wink:

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

Post by First Sub Podcast »

Ayoze (whu) or Boyd (AVL)

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

MoSe wrote:for what my opinion is worth:
Notned wrote:Chambers, Alderweireld, Taylor, Dummett, Duff.
Am I correct in thinking the logical decision is to play Taylor, Duff and Chambers?
notned: yes, but as Duff is at 50%, in which sub order do you place Alder & Dummett?

arv: I'd leave it as it is too (unless Monk prefers the fit again Amat, in which case Yun will sub)
___

now to my choice

BENCH ONE:
  • Chambers @ wba
    Clyne v MCI
  • Dummett @ whu
they might play all 3 as well, as I have Doubtful Baines (& others) on the pitch (and Vlaar out injured)
my current choice is Dummett, as highlighted by the dot, and coherently with the opinions expressed above :)
Carlos Kickaball wrote:I will be playing Dummett, Chambers and Hutton, with Bertrand second sub (but first defensive sub)
I suppose CK would advise me instead to play Dummett over Clyne
well, that is my doubt too, or I hadn't even posted this in the first place
What comforts me, is that Agüero might be tired, and City defence is not indeed the most... unpercolative? :wink:
The sub order is a tough one. At the moment I have Dummett ahead of Alderweireld. Not much in it though.

I'm hoping Duff makes it, cos I quite fancy Burnley to keep a clean sheet.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

The Toon Man wrote:Ayoze (whu) or Boyd (AVL)

It's tight, but I think I would play Boyd personally.

redcat1
Grumpy Old Man

Post by redcat1 »

Begovic (LIV AWAY) or Elliot (WHAM AWAY) ?

obviously Begovic could be out anyway but say they were both match fit

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

redcat1 wrote:Begovic (LIV AWAY) or Elliot (WHAM AWAY) ?

obviously Begovic could be out anyway but say they were both match fit
Similar predicament, but with Forster (MCI) or Elliott (whu)?

Who knew an injury to a player I don't even own would cause yet another headache...

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

Who would you bench out of Chambers, Yun, Clyne and Duff. Currently got Duff on the bench, made easier as he's an injury doubt.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

MartyBhoy7 wrote:Who would you bench out of Chambers, Yun, Clyne and Duff. Currently got Duff on the bench, made easier as he's an injury doubt.
Is that not more of a justification to play him? Hedges your bets somewhat.. if he plays you have a decent chance of some points as I fancy Burnley to keep a clean sheet, if not whoever you were considering starting as an alternative comes off the bench anyway..

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

Notned wrote:
MartyBhoy7 wrote:Who would you bench out of Chambers, Yun, Clyne and Duff. Currently got Duff on the bench, made easier as he's an injury doubt.
Is that not more of a justification to play him? Hedges your bets somewhat.. if he plays you have a decent chance of some points as I fancy Burnley to keep a clean sheet, if not whoever you were considering starting as an alternative comes off the bench anyway..
Sort of, I do think Burnley have a strong chance of a clean sheet but Chambers and Clyne are quite highly owned in my ML and I'm a bit worried about a potential Coleman situation with Clyne where I bench him for a supposedly hard game and then he scores or gets an assist and all the other owners in my ML benefit.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

MartyBhoy7 wrote:I'm a bit worried about a potential Coleman situation with Clyne where I bench him for a supposedly hard game and then he scores or gets an assist and all the other owners in my ML benefit.
I can see how that would be a concern, but with defenders I think you have to pick the ones with the best chance of a clean sheet. This week, that's not Clyne. I agree with Notned, I think Burnley have an excellent chance of a clean sheet this weekend, especially if Duff plays, so I'd bench Clyne if I were you.

View this instead as an opportunity to gain an advantage on your ML rivals. If they all stick with Clyne and he scores poorly then you'll be laughing. Positive thinking, my friend! :D

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
MartyBhoy7 wrote:I'm a bit worried about a potential Coleman situation with Clyne where I bench him for a supposedly hard game and then he scores or gets an assist and all the other owners in my ML benefit.
I can see how that would be a concern, but with defenders I think you have to pick the ones with the best chance of a clean sheet. This week, that's not Clyne. I agree with Notned, I think Burnley have an excellent chance of a clean sheet this weekend, especially if Duff plays, so I'd bench Clyne if I were you.

View this instead as an opportunity to gain an advantage on your ML rivals. If they all stick with Clyne and he scores poorly then you'll be laughing. Positive thinking, my friend! :D
I know what your saying bud but this is exactly the type of logical thinking that has backfired on me before. Duff being out would actually make the decision easier!

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

MartyBhoy7 wrote:I know what your saying bud but this is exactly the type of logical thinking that has backfired on me before. Duff being out would actually make the decision easier!
Fair enough. If you're not going to pick players logically though you may as well just put five names in a hat and pick the first three that come out. It can be very frustrating when a logical decision ends up costing you points, but for me it's still the best way to play the game (i.e. you'll get things right the majority of the time).

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

Agree with the above, bench Clyne and he'll play anyway :)

Need to bench two of Collins (NEW), Yun (LEI) and Duff (VIL).
Currently benching Duff and Collins in that order.

My playing defenders are Baines and Chambers, so again, if Baines and Duff don't make it then it's a mute point!

superleeds
Treebeard

Post by superleeds »

Im torn this week. I normally pick my team and captain early and don't change it.This week im swapping my captain and still undecided!. Anyway does anyone think George Boyd is worth playing this week. I want to put him in but don't want to replace either of Nasri or Fab and sanchez and hazard aren't options for me. Then upfront I have aguero and lukaku who I wont be dropping and Kane. Kane is the obvious choice but the only thing holding me back is I think he might be on penalties for Spurs seen as I dont think ade or soldado or even Townsend will play. Any advice is much appreciated!. I wish I could just play 2-5-3!

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

Pirlo's Beard wrote:
MartyBhoy7 wrote:I know what your saying bud but this is exactly the type of logical thinking that has backfired on me before. Duff being out would actually make the decision easier!
Fair enough. If you're not going to pick players logically though you may as well just put five names in a hat and pick the first three that come out. It can be very frustrating when a logical decision ends up costing you points, but for me it's still the best way to play the game (i.e. you'll get things right the majority of the time).
Thanks for your input, I've changed it now so Duff is starting with Clyne my first defensive sub.

fplfanatic
Wideboy

Post by fplfanatic »

Which 2 to bench out of Azpilicueta, Chambers, N.Taylor, Hutton and Baines?
Currently have Hutton and Chambers on the bench

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

fplfanatic wrote:Which 2 to bench out of Azpilicueta, Chambers, N.Taylor, Hutton and Baines?
Currently have Hutton and Chambers on the bench
I'd agree with your current choice.

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

As expected all my ML play their Southampton defenders, I know whats coming.

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

MartyBhoy7 wrote:As expected all my ML play their Southampton defenders, I know whats coming.
Yep, a 2-0 away win to Man City

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

stuboy wrote:
MartyBhoy7 wrote:As expected all my ML play their Southampton defenders, I know whats coming.
Yep, a 2-0 away win to Man City
1-0 Saints, Clyne assist.

Notned
FISO Knight

Post by Notned »

Would like a word with Arsene Wenger about who to bench. Or who not to bench, as the case may be :evil:

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I'm benching Costa so need to either play Boyd home to Newcastle or Hutton away to Palace. Thoughts?

MartyBhoy7
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MartyBhoy7 »

Boyd at home to Newcastle, no brainer IMO.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

I have a similar dilemma to Billy.

Bench one of these six.

Boyd (NEW)
Eriksen (che)
Hutton (cry)
Dummett (bur)
Wisdom (WHU)
Chambers (SOU)

I reckon Chambers and Eriksen have to play, I added them because I thought some may disagree, but other than that I'm unsure. Edging towards Boyd as I think the chance of some attacking returns are less than any of the clean sheet chances, and Eriksen can score against anyone.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Toss-up between Hutton and Boyd, neither likely to get more than two. I think Boyd's due a big one. :smile:

Bao
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Bao »

I have Wisdom (home to WHU) and Boyd (home to NEW). I plan to play Wisdom and bench Boyd. Is it good idea?

I also have Chambers (away to SOU). I think I will play him.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

I can't help but think that even with absentees, Villa are a hard working, well organised defensive unit, and are comfortable sitting back and waiting for their chance to break against anyone. Senderos and Vlaar may be back tomorrow too. :shock:

Palace have scored more than Swansea and Liverpool though.

BobMem
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The Graduates - FISO 5AS H2H Champions 13/14
FISO King of Rock and Roll - Elimination game winner 2015/16

Post by BobMem »

Palace are doing ok for goal scoring lately. Also I almost never bench a mid in favour of a defender.

Bench Duff (NEW) or Collins (wba)?

Jsbh
Cheetah

Post by Jsbh »

Who to bench to next GW?

Taylor Baines Wisdom Clyne Chambers ? Need 3 of them

Jedinak or Austin?

arv
Treebeard

Post by arv »