To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Adebayor

A Fantasy Football forum for news on fantasy football games run by the Premierleague (FPL).
magicdave
Red & Blue Braces

Adebayor

Post by magicdave »

£8.5m for a class player under a new attack-minded manager with no real competition for his place in the team and easy fixtures. Yet nobody mentions him and he's in 2% of teams.

I'm very tempted.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Re: Adebayor

Post by Stemania »

Same price as Giroud and Dzeko with question marks over his role in the team under a new manager, so a complete non-starter for me.

magicdave
Red & Blue Braces

Post by magicdave »

What question mark?

He'll be Ricky Lambert but good.

ricardo68
FISOhead

Post by ricardo68 »

Currently not touring with the team as he has malaria

MrrDrr
Treebeard

Post by MrrDrr »

I think people want to see how Poch utilises Soldado.

There have also been heavy rumours of Spurs signing a new striker. Poch seems to play a 3 pronged attack and I can't see Adebayor playing the AML/AMR role as he's very much a central striker.

If we get to the first game of the season and it's evident that Adebayor is playing as the main striker for Spurs he will go in to my side.

Joshua82
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consecutive top 3k finishes in FPL (2013-2015)

Post by Joshua82 »

Eriksen looks a safer bet at the moment and is 0.5 cheaper.

checkii
Grumpy Old Man

Post by checkii »

Stemania wrote:Same price as Giroud and Dzeko with question marks over his role in the team under a new manager, so a complete non-starter for me.
wait a second, Ade has a question mark over where he fits into his team, but Dzeko doesn't? bwahahahahaa

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 19605.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As it sits right now, Spurs havent signed a new striker, Ade is the only stand alone striker we have, and as much as i like Soldado there is no way in hell he is getting a start above Ade.

IMO, with Lamela healthy, Eriksen finding astonishing form, Ade will get some service, and being a lone striker he will rake in the points.

I think the biggest wait and see factor is him having malaria and his fitness being in question.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

checkii wrote:
Stemania wrote:Same price as Giroud and Dzeko with question marks over his role in the team under a new manager, so a complete non-starter for me.
wait a second, Ade has a question mark over where he fits into his team, but Dzeko doesn't? bwahahahahaa

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 19605.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As it sits right now, Spurs havent signed a new striker, Ade is the only stand alone striker we have, and as much as i like Soldado there is no way in hell he is getting a start above Ade.

IMO, with Lamela healthy, Eriksen finding astonishing form, Ade will get some service, and being a lone striker he will rake in the points.

I think the biggest wait and see factor is him having malaria and his fitness being in question.
Well, Negredo is apparently injured for a 'few months', and with him being Dzeko's direct competition it seems there are very few question marks with Dzeko's starting place for now.

Considering the link you post has no actual quotes from Pochettino I don't really understand what you think it brings to the debate. Do you really find this convincing?:

"Pochettino has not yet had the chance to assess his squad closely, after taking the job well before the beginning of pre-season, but he is starting to form ideas about which players he would like to retain and Standard Sport understands Adebayor is on that list.

"If Pochettino sticks to the 4-2-3-1 system he used at Southampton, he is thought to see Adebayor as a strong contender for the lone forward’s role.

"As clear as Pochettino’s ideas might be, the final decision on players will always be taken by chairman Daniel Levy. Levy is traditionally cautious about keeping too many players in their thirties, especially ones as well-paid as Adebayor.

It was only Sherwood who brought Ade back to the first team at all. The new manager, like AVB, may not like him. I'd say that is a big question mark, yes.

reddevil 99
FISOhead

Post by reddevil 99 »

No chance ! The most unreliable player in the world..... almost ..... I forgot about Lukaku.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I don't see why Adebayor would be automatically above Soldado in selection. It's a new manager who may actually play the team to the strengths of Soldado, especially if he believes that him and Lamela can build a good understanding. Bit of a wait and see for now which I think is why he's off the radar.

gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Post by gooberman »

He's in my team

boise1234
Grumpy Old Man

Post by boise1234 »

seems an odd comment, Adebayor scored more PPG last year then either Giroud or Dzeko and I would of thought his place in the Spurs lineup was more secure than either of the other two this season.

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

I can't bring myself to pick him before Giroud or Dzeko, not with Negredo injured and all that firepower behind Giroud.

boise1234
Grumpy Old Man

Post by boise1234 »

Billy Bongo wrote:I can't bring myself to pick him before Giroud or Dzeko, not with Negredo injured and all that firepower behind Giroud.
I'm still wanting to be convinced that Giroud keeps his place in the gooners starting line up now that they have Sanchez....hopefully this will become clearer through pre-season

Joshua82
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Consecutive top 3k finishes in FPL (2013-2015)

Post by Joshua82 »

boise1234 wrote:
seems an odd comment, Adebayor scored more PPG last year then either Giroud or Dzeko and I would of thought his place in the Spurs lineup was more secure than either of the other two this season.
Unless Pochettino is an FPL addict like us then I doubt he'll be picking his strikers based on PPG. ;)

I'm not going anywhere near Adebayor until I see how Pochettino sets up. He could easily start with Soldado and have Adebayor on the bench. At least we're more sure of Giroud and Dzeko beginning the season in the starting 11 for the respective club.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

boise1234 wrote:
I'm still wanting to be convinced that Giroud keeps his place in the gooners starting line up now that they have Sanchez....hopefully this will become clearer through pre-season
Only chance of Giroud not starting season for us is either injury or manager change, injury is a pos, manager change not :wink:
Wenger has pretty much confirmed that few times recently.

Ade a difficult one, when he decides to play as good as any, but.....
Given the right set up Soldado can come good, be interesting to see how Spurs do set up, do think that is an unknown at mo

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Adebayor might turn out to be a fantastic fantasy pick this season if he gets the main striker slot. When he is up for it he is a terrific number nine, and if Poch gets the Spurs midfield working well he could get a great service.

On the other hand the uncertainties surrounding him in the near future are such that he is a greater risk than several alternatives. So it makes sense to monitor him closely as soon as he is back playing, and this might show that one should transfer him into one's team pretty sharpish, but to start with him unless there are significant signs that he is going to do well would represent dodgy fantasy management.

Picking him might turn out to be clever, but in managing fantasy teams one should always prefer safe to clever. Just do the bleedin' obvious and you won't go far wrong. Adebayor at this point in tine does not represent the bleedin' obvious.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

boise1234 wrote:
PPG unfairly punishes Dzeko for his sub appearances. If you are presuming both Dzeko and Adebayor are locked in you need to use PP90. In that metric, Dzeko beats Adebayor handily (7.1 to 6.0).

If Dzeko is locked in he is a better fantasy asset than Adebayor. It's not really close. Given Negredo's injury his chances of being locked in seem high.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

SuperGrover wrote:
boise1234 wrote:
PPG unfairly punishes Dzeko for his sub appearances. If you are presuming both Dzeko and Adebayor are locked in you need to use PP90. In that metric, Dzeko beats Adebayor handily (7.1 to 6.0).

If Dzeko is locked in he is a better fantasy asset than Adebayor. It's not really close. Given Negredo's injury his chances of being locked in seem high.
Doesn't PP90 reward sub appearances though :? If he came on (last season) for three 30 minutes sub appearances he gets 3 points for 90 mins, if Adebayor plays a full 90 3 times he gets 3 points for 270 minutes. Despite the fact they have both played three games and earned three points, in this scenario Dzeko is three times better by the stats.

Don't think you can use those metrics as much more than a guide and I'd not pick one over the other based on PPG or PP90.

Most of the stats on the FPL site are too simplistic to be useful and by definition they are weighed by the actual events that occurred rather than the underlying probability of them occurring in the first place (which is really what I care about).

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Dzeko now a guaranteed starter for the prem champions, who proved themselves fixture proof at the Etihad last year. And we can trust Pellegrini. As for consistency, if this was top trumps, I'd give that to Dzeko also. I'd go Dzeko first and it's an easy flip if Spurs are looking good.

MrrDrr
Treebeard

Post by MrrDrr »

checkii wrote:

Not a single quote in that article from Pochettino.

Can you explain why you take Tom Collomosse of The Metro's opinion on the Tottenham first team as golden? bwahahahahaa

As everyone has stated above me, Ade could be a brilliant inclusion in any players team but there are too many variables surrounding him for me to put him in to my initial 11. One to watch.

SuperGrover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by SuperGrover »

Mav3rick wrote:
SuperGrover wrote:
boise1234 wrote:

Doesn't PP90 reward sub appearances though :? If he came on (last season) for three 30 minutes sub appearances he gets 3 points for 90 mins, if Adebayor plays a full 90 3 times he gets 3 points for 270 minutes. Despite the fact they have both played three games and earned three points, in this scenario Dzeko is three times better by the stats.

Don't think you can use those metrics as much more than a guide and I'd not pick one over the other based on PPG or PP90.

Most of the stats on the FPL site are too simplistic to be useful and by definition they are weighed by the actual events that occurred rather than the underlying probability of them occurring in the first place (which is really what I care about).
If you whittle it down to just points from goals and assists only per 90 then Dzeko still wins (3.85 A+GPP90 v 3.09 for Adebayor). It's not that Adebayor is poor (his PP90 numbers were good last year) it is just that Dzeko has been elite in his last 3 seasons on a per minute basis. Previously, no one thought he could do that consistently be he managed to towards the end of last year. If he is locked in, he is probably the best FWD value in the game.

I can definitely see an argument for Adebayor over Giroud.

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

SuperGrover wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:
SuperGrover wrote:
boise1234 wrote:

If you whittle it down to just points from goals and assists only per 90 then Dzeko still wins (3.85 A+GPP90 v 3.09 for Adebayor). It's not that Adebayor is poor (his PP90 numbers were good last year) it is just that Dzeko has been elite in his last 3 seasons on a per minute basis. Previously, no one thought he could do that consistently be he managed to towards the end of last year. If he is locked in, he is probably the best FWD value in the game.

I can definitely see an argument for Adebayor over Giroud.
What about both? Both in my team at the moment?

gooberman
Dumbledore

Post by gooberman »

Played in the last friendly and scored a pen. Can't believe only 2% ownership. Could be a great differential.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

I'm surprised at that number too. I can see the appeal of Dzeko over him, but he's going to do well I think.

checkii
Grumpy Old Man

Post by checkii »

i really want to get him in. he can be really streaky with his scoring, but it's hard for me to justify damaging my MF to upgrade Remy to him.

magicdave
Red & Blue Braces

Post by magicdave »

At the moment I see the £8.5m priorities as Giroud > Adebayor > Dzeko.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

For the reasons given above Dzeko is the clear choice out of the three.

-Best PPM
-Most nailed on
-A premium player when given the minutes

Giroud was only really that wonderful last season because he played so much.

The real question for me is Dzeko or Costa, I could afford either and I'm still not sure. A hard GWK 4,5 for Dzeko coupled with the fact Negredo could be back soon after that, could leave him with only a very small window. I guess that's the real big negative for Dzeko that we seem to be ignoring.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL)”