To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Ashes (again)

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Maldini
Dumbledore

Re: The Ashes (again)

Post by Maldini »

Footy66 wrote:stress can burn you out. Vaughn's rant is a joke.
Yes, as much as I admired Vaughan as a batsmen and captain, he comes across as a total prat in his journalism.

Apparently, the problem with Trott was that he was trying too hard to the point of physical and mental exhaustion.

The ECB shouldn't have given the impression he was suffering with a mental illness though. That's a bit naughty.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Trott now is out again of the county stuff - after a poor game v Sussex.

What do we make of this?

He was stressed so left Oz, then he states he was only burnt out and is fine, then he returns to cricket after and amid criticism and now he quits.

He could be stressed. He could be flaky. It could be somewhere in between. Whatever has gone on, he hasn't helped himself by either:

A) effectively lying to sky sports Ian Ward, trying to make out he was fine...to revive his career? (Or did he think he was fine? :? )

B) being perfectly honest with Ward, but now trying to backtrack and stand down for same reasons as he left the Oz tour - when he can't be burnt out as has been resting up.

All very confusing and a real mess. Think he needs to come clean and state his interview with Ward was a sham.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Well we will soon see if they put him straight back into the Test side. There's plenty of candidates getting runs in the early matches, do they pick on form or reputation? While there's otherwise only Cook and Bell with any real degree of experience in the batting, perhaps it's time to break with the past and give the youngsters a chance like the rugby team has.

Edit: just read the headline, I thought you were just reporting that he had a poor game. It's just one more messy situation to have come out of the disastrous winter for English cricket. Hope they won't compound it by appointing Ashley Giles on a full-time basis. Maybe the Holland defeat will have done us a favour in that regard.

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

doubt it, Giles is still a shoe in sadly (I think) #abg

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Peter Moores is getting increasingly mentioned in terms of getting another shot at it.

It would be like the England football team re-appointing Steve McClaren, but all of us breathing a sigh of relief because we were expecting it to be David Platt.

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Yes, heard a Moores Robinson combo is being mooted. As you say, a relief but probably a disaster

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I'm not sure things will start to improve until we've cut virtually all ties with this winter's events - and that includes Cook, certainly as a captain and not totally sure he has much left to give as a batsman despite his relatively young age. Same goes for the other senior players who potentially remain, Bell, Prior, Anderson and Broad - not sure they will ever mentally recover from this tour and if they have much left in the tank. Go with the next generation and see what develops, and bring in a tough Aussie or South African to get the best out of them.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

Cricket's about runs and wickets. As soon as they decided not upsetting Cook was more important than runs, the management lost all credibility with me. I have no doubt KP brought some issues but this isn't a rowing team - they don't all have to be in sync.

Now nobody of any reputation wants the England job. Hard to be surprised.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

My tuppence worth re Trott: he was probably mentally fkd, as opposed to burnt out; but claimed burn out to limit sledging, help his own mental state etc. Unfortunately he came back before he was ready....

The interesting, and maybe unique, thing about Trott is that has caused him onfield troubles. I can only think of Collymore who retired prematurely due to this sort of thing, but he had big issues as shown by the dogging, Ulrika episode (but going out with her was hardly sane?) etc. Terry et al have had a lot of offpitch issues but played well as they can separate the sportsperson from the real one; which is probably part of how they can be so good in the first place, imho. Whatshisname carried on playing cricket, but couldn't tour, essentially because he didn't want to be far from home - and lets not get into why and how long is a county cricketer hundreds of miles away from his home etc.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

blahblah wrote:Whatshisname carried on playing cricket,.....
Trescothick??

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

That's the bunny.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”