To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New and deeper fantasy WorldTour

A forum for fans of Fantasy Cycling games (including Fantasy Tour de France)
Garf
Wideboy

New and deeper fantasy WorldTour

Post by Garf »

I'd like to invite you to participate in a rather original project. It is an independent and free of charge fantasy competition in which you control one WorldTour team, sign riders to long-term contracts via auctions, then score CQ ranking points based on the real-life outcome. Pretty much makes you feel like a real team owner.

The game started in January 2012.

If you'd like to try it out, sign up here:
http://fantasycycling.freeforums.net/th ... sign-sheet
Last edited by Garf on 31 Oct 2021, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: New and deeper fantasy WorldTour

Post by blahblah »

Sounds complicated to me.......

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

It sounds like a good concept, but whilst I like having a go at guessing who'll do well in stages I've not really got the time to devote to something like this and I'd probably get bored with having the same riders all the time (OK - I guess you can probably trade riders but I still like the freedom of just being able to pick from the whole field for each race).

Best of luck though.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

unc.si. wrote:It sounds like a good concept, but whilst I like having a go at guessing who'll do well in stages I've not really got the time to devote to something like this and I'd probably get bored with having the same riders all the time (OK - I guess you can probably trade riders but I still like the freedom of just being able to pick from the whole field for each race).

Best of luck though.
Thanks!
And I think you nailed the difference in approach.
This is designed for people who enjoy advanced fantasy (and very often the likes of PCM or FM with it) and the feeling of owning an actual cycling team, and not for those who enjoy merely predicting results.
There is of course some overlap, but I'll let you get there in your own sweet time 8-)

@blahblah: probably less than what you think :D Feel free to check out the forum to get a better understanding of how it works.

porgey
Red & Blue Braces

Post by porgey »

Hi Garf,

Back in the very early days of running Velogames (and even before that in fact!), I ran a similar game, but instead of an auction we had a draft.

So, a random draft order was determined and then the (12 - 16) managers would take turns to pick a rider until rosters were completed.

Your financial system adds an extra level of complexity but looks interesting.

You can see some (very very old) pages at http://users.breathe.com/graham.chapman/vlrules.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - which I didnt even know would still be live on the internet!

You might also want to look at http://www.paidiagames.nl/wielerspel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (in dutch) for ideas.

A former Veloleague player still plays this game and it is a dynasty system carrying over from season to season like like yours. The real beauty of this game is that they use real-life money to cover their rider contracts, which is then paid on a monthly basis. This money is put into a pot for distribution as prizes for race performances. The beauty of this system is that managers can opt to put less money in for a smaller, less powerful squad, but if they pick up a few decent wins they get a return on their investment. Other managers have chosen to put in lots of money for the best riders, and therefore need to make sure they get a decent number of good wins to cover their rider salaries each month. As an example the team composition is linked to here http://www.paidiagames.nl/wielerspel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . You'll see Fulmine invests cheaply in youth while JEKA is the Manchester City of the peloton.

Unfortunately I am far too busy with Velogames to take part in your game, but it looks like a great concept as long as team finances and rider contracts don't give too much headaches. Good luck!

George

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

These are really cool, big thanks!

And yeah, a (snake, I suppose) draft would be another way of doing it. But whether it's cycling, basketball, or football, I'm just crazy about them auctions :D

In case you still have contact with some guys that played your game in the past, I'd appreciate it a lot if you dropped the a line for me!
(I'm finishing the graphics right now and will start the free agency tomorrow or the day after.)

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

The game has started, but there are still 2 teams available.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

1 substitute needed for a very strong team.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

This kid still up for adoption. They say he has some talent.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

1 team needs a replacement.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

There is one team available ahead of the Tour de France, now would be a great moment to jump in!

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

Year 1 is finishing in roughly two weeks. It's safe to say this has been a huge success so far. We're all looking forward to 2013 already, with some new features: more races (HC included!!!), possibly more GM's (we were 18 this year, but it's not really fixed), possibly a rookie (so-called neo-pro) draft, and brand new wave of exciting auctions starting from November 1. If you'd like to join, check out the league for yourself: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?board=1107.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

One open spot. The auctions begin November 1.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

15 teams on board, but hopefully we can find 2-3 persons more!

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

As we enter year 2 of the first and only cycling league on ProFSL, next week we'll hold an expansion draft for any new managers. This is officially the last opportunity to join before the 2013 season.

If you'd like to join, send me a PM and/or check out the league for yourself: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?board=1107.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

We're nearing the end of year 2.
It's relatively light and low maintenance, but we're having a lot of fun!

Wanna join for year 3? Free agent auctions and a neo-pro draft begin November 1.
Check it out yourself: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?board=1107.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

FYI:
Last call for 2014!
Both the free agency and the neo-pro draft begin on November 1.
16 people checked in for 2014.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

We have one last-minute opening: Katusha with Uran, van den Broeck, Fuglsang, Hushovd, Goss, Goos, Polanc, and over 60% of their budget still untouched. The auctions are very intense right now, so only sign up if you have free time this very weekend.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

The auctions for year 4 of our league start soon, feel free to sign up here:
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=44212.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

Season started today, only Belkin still available!

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

This just in: we're expanding! Tomorrow at 8pm CET (2pm ET) we'll hold a live draft for three brand new second division (Pro-Conti) teams. If you feel like joining, tonight's the night - contact me ASAP :)

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

We're back for our fourth season, bigger than ever before: 20 teams and 79 races. Free agent auctions and the neo-pro draft begin on November 1. Join here: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=44212

Sport Billy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 1st 2014 ESPN 6 Nations, 2nd 2015 Shaggy World Snooker: FPL Pontoon Champion 2014/15, 1st Euro 2016 Qualifiers predictor, 2nd 2015 FISO Superbru Golf Predictor

Post by Sport Billy »

Garf, I'm in and registered. Tell me what to do next!

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

Happy to report our main league is growing steadily, and nowadays we look into having even more fun with small games on the side. The newest addition is called Quick Fix - a series of independent mini leagues, each focused on a different type of races, and thus potentially more inclusive for casual fans.

So in case you only follow le Tour de France, or if you're some perverted sadist only watching people hit the ground on wet cobblestones - we're not judging, so do join!

At least five completely separate mini leagues will take place in 2016: cobbles (E3, GW, RvV, PR), Ardennes (BP, AGR, FW, LBL), Giro, Tour, and Vuelta. Each will be preceded by a quick draft, with a salary cap in place, and individual salaries fixed depending on past CQ scores of each rider. Again, feel free to join just one, or some more.

The cobbled season starts soon, please sign up here if interested: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=255651.0

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

The first draft (cobbles) has started today, but unfortunately one person pulled out. We're still 14, but will accept another person within the next 24-48 hours. Please contact me directly via ProFSL if interested.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

I'm guessing not too many people browse cycling forums in November, so let me start the 2017 recruiting early!

We're coming back stronger than ever. A community of 20 fantastic personalities, and always looking for more cycling die-hards to join us on the dark side, participating in one or more of our fantasy leagues :)

On the menu in 2017:

- UCI WorldTour aka the main league: big teams, long contracts, neo-pro draft, 500 auctions every November.

- Rainbow Cup: straight up snake draft of all cyclists, but their price is fixed based on past results.

- Country Roads: not one, but nine drafts, as all riders get divided into separate pools: sprinters, puncheurs, GC men etc.

- Quick Fix: a series of 5 mini-leagues (cobbles, Ardennes, 3x GT) where you have to guess the next dominant force some weeks before the proceedings.

- Fine Young Cannibals: new league, focusing on finding fresh talent, a combination of auctions and extensions.

- Wall Street Cycling: another new idea, and the only league where you can make big changes overnight. You auction riders very shortly before every big race, and get rewarded/penalized instantly based on the investment/result ratio.

Please note I'm not around here very often, so in order to join you MUST sign up to ProFSL and contact me there using the links you'll find in my opening post. (Everything's free, btw.)

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

Yes, we'll be back for 2018.
If interested, please make the leap of faith: create a free ProFSL account and PM me there. Cheers!

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

Our season-long games are mostly filled, but you can still join one of the daily competitions now that the cycling season is finally underway!

1. In Wall Street Cycling we hold a bunch of intense auctions on the evening before each WT race, and once you secured a rider by betting the highest, you'll score positive if his CQ score exceeds your bet, or negative if it's below: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?board=3473

2. Life Behind Bars is a winner guessing game for anything you please, from TdF polka-dot jersey to a La Tropicale Amissa Bongo stage. Again, a wrong bet is worse off than not placing any, so cycling knowledge is more important than sheer activity: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?board=3608

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

18 returning teams for 2019, looking for 2 more. The auctions begin on November 1.

Garf
Wideboy

Post by Garf »

The auctions for 2020 will start on November 1.

We have a couple of openings!

The other exciting news is that we conveniently upgraded to the ever-popular ProBoards, and thus you'll find the sign-up sheet here: http://fantasycycling.freeforums.net/th ... sign-sheet

(Please contact me there directly, you can even post as a guest if you insist.)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Cycling”