To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Frankel

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy Horse Racing games.

Nabby
Grumpy Old Man

Frankel

Post by Nabby »

Anyone else starting to get a little bit nervous for Frankel's last run tomorrow. Would he have been withdrawn by now if Ascot had not sold out with the majority there to watch him run for the last time? 10 furlongs in soft-Heavy going could stretch him and with Cirrus de Aigles doing most of his winning in the Soft could it be a decision the Cecil/Abdullah team live to regret.

I seriously hope not. I will watch tomorrow without having a bet but probably as nervous as I've been in a long time. I just hope he does the business and confirms himself to be one of, if not the, greatest ever.

Wonder what odds he is for spoty?

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer
FS Record: I always liked the old Tele FA Cup competition...

Re: Frankel

Post by stevejtr »

I remember the Brigadier. Best miler since no doubt. Possibly the best miler ever

The only thing against Frankel is the lack of a race of a mile and a half.

But the best horse for at least 40 years

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

oh, and I don't think the Frankel camp are really worried about the ground tomorrow.

it's all about the feet, or the size at least

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

I read on twitter he is a doubt to run...I hope he does and I hope he wins

Nabby
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Nabby »

I agree they are not worried if it's soft but any worse and the indications are that there will be some concern, or so Grimthorpe is reported as stating.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Obviously he can't run if his connections consider the ground unsafe but the possibility of defeat due solely to soft going shouldn't be a consideration. If he gets beaten so what. He won't be any less a horse than he already is. Most great horses get beaten at some stage, including Dancing Brave and the Brigadier. It's a British hang up not to be beaten. Americans focus on wins and don't get all nervous about risking an unbeaten record.

Although I've never seen Frankel, I have seen a lot of great horses, so wouldn't mind if Khaled Abdullah decided to confound us all and keeps him in training next season. Perhaps starting in the summer and building up to an autumn climax with the Arc and the Classic. To finish on dirt that would be some story. Of course the chances are infinitesimal but its not as though the Saudi Prince needs the dosh from an extra 120 covering fees.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Frankel has won on soft so can't see the going being an issue unless there is more rain.
I think he will win but will be backing Pastorius each way

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

Not the greatest for me [if he doesn't run again after today], no Derby, no Arc, no Breeders cup etc, no win overseas, not up against the best opposition, no mile and a half, a great but unless he trains on and wins the biggest events in racing he wouldn't be the greatest for me, i would rank several better than him.

Nabby
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Nabby »

@Striker Not sure I understand this whole 'ground is unsafe thing' :? If the ground is unsafe it is the same for all the horses in every race and not only Frankel. The meet would be cancelled if that was the case, or at the very least other owners would be reacting.

@trampie. I guess the debate will run and run but if you believe the experts who devise the timeform ratings he is officially rated the best I think. Unfortunately he never ran over a mile and a half so both the Derby and the Arc were out of reach, but I guess he could have finished up at the Breeders Cup.

Pincher
Grumpy Old Crab
FS Record: Allys Tartan Army

Post by Pincher »

Nabby wrote: @trampie. I guess the debate will run and run but if you believe the experts who devise the timeform ratings he is officially rated the best I think. Unfortunately he never ran over a mile and a half so both the Derby and the Arc were out of reach, but I guess he could have finished up at the Breeders Cup.
Don't know much about horses, nor timeform, but is it a relative thing - i.e. performance against other horses count? If so, presumably it is susceptible to upward drift, and is that accounted for?

Cleared to run by the way! :)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Missed the break but won fairly easily in the end.

Nabby
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Nabby »

Missed the kick at the start but still cruised up to the 2nd best rated horse in Europe (at the moment) and went past still on the bridle. Didn't find quite as much as usual when asked but I think the ground and distance probably explain that away.
:)

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

Ascot is pretty much all uphill over 1m 2f.

Won on ground that the runner up loves.

Awesome.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

awesome, I dont think what he has done for racing and for Henry Cecil should be underestimated.

Now retired...I saw him run in the flesh at goodwood last year......goosebumps is all I can say

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

It'll be interesting to see how much his progeny go for at the yearling sales in a couple of years

The Councillor
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: locally fantastic - nationally cack

Post by The Councillor »

a truly fantastic hore but does not hold the same magic as sea the stars did imho...

Nabby
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Nabby »

The Councillor wrote:a truly fantastic hore .
less about what you did last night please sir. This thread is about Frankel.

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

Just watched the vid of Frankel's first race (on desperate ground at Newmarket 13/8/10)

After the cosy win Cecil is asked about the horse

"He could be quite nice"

Class

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

stevejtr wrote:Just watched the vid of Frankel's first race (on desperate ground at Newmarket 13/8/10)

After the cosy win Cecil is asked about the horse

"He could be quite nice"

Class
beat Nathaniel if I remember correctly....can only imagine what the Gosden stable thought after getting beat......

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

did indeed beat the future King George winner a cosy 1/2l.

Nathaniel was the subject of a significant market move too, so one assumes that was the stable money. The commentators at the end were spot on though, saying it felt like a very hot maiden.

Not wrong

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

The Councillor wrote:a truly fantastic hore but does not hold the same magic as sea the stars did imho...
Although Sea the Stars was an absolutely top class horse who tended only to do enough, IMVPO (VP = very personal) that view is nuts. As far as magic is concerned there hasn't been a performance in my lifetime to match Frankel's Guineas. I sat there in my armchair from perhaps 5f out absolutely gobsmacked. Mrs Striker thought that I was mad clapping a mere horse on the TV. But she don't understand nuffin.

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer

Post by stevejtr »

Striker wrote:
The Councillor wrote:a truly fantastic hore but does not hold the same magic as sea the stars did imho...
Although Sea the Stars was an absolutely top class horse who tended only to do enough, IMVPO (VP = very personal) that view is nuts. As far as magic is concerned there hasn't been a performance in my lifetime to match Frankel's Guineas. I sat there in my armchair from perhaps 5f out absolutely gobsmacked. Mrs Striker thought that I was mad clapping a mere horse on the TV. But she don't understand nuffin.
Know the feeling. MrsJtr is the same. I went into work the Monday after and was trying to explain that you just don't win classics like that. It was like I was speaking Swahili.

I pitied them for their sad and unfulfilled lives. 8-)

workie-ticket
Grumpy Old Geordie
FS Record: Champion NEFI superleague 2009-10

Post by workie-ticket »

did i hear right that in retirement he;s going to stud for £120,000 a mare, and will get an estimated 100 mares a year?

now that's what i call a retirement!!!! :D

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Horse Racing”