To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Loking for a Good Bike for Less Than £150

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Loking for a Good Bike for Less Than £150

Post by unc.si. »

Latic wrote:
Latic wrote:Although I'll consider WilBert's suggestion above. Going to try and get a look at this tomorrow.

http://www.alpinebikes.com/shop/bikes/hybrid/motion-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Went for this, getting it this afternoon :D
Looks good. A million times better than some full suss piece of junk from halfords.

700c wheels are a good choice if you'll mainly be on road - less rolling resistance than 26" MTB style wheels so easier and quicker to pedal. 36 spokes so will be plenty strong enough for the odd tow path / hardpack trail (I take my winter road bike on towpaths with no problems). With those wheels and gearing it should be a decent ride on a longer trip if you fancy the odd 20 or 30 mile trip out in the countryside as well.

Hope you enjoy it

Gurn King 69
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Most quoted poster on FISO for the EIGHTH consecutive (and final) year. Apparently...

Post by Gurn King 69 »

Nice bike, Surprised! Loving the low crossbar! :lol:

Looks like a mama chari from Japan that all the old dears rode.

:D

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

ah, the back pedal brake. My Raleigh Striker had one of those and I didn't know about it, caused some fun the first time I did it.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Surprised wrote:You could do worse than a Dutch bike. Cheap and cheerful.

You need to remember to back pedal for braking though and no gears. But who needs gears with no hills?
You're in Holland aren't you?

Planning a cycling trip to Holland next May (after my route in Wales the guys (mainly non-cyclists but they do an annual cycling trip) have picked Holland next as they think I'll not be able to find any hills - I reckon I can slip the Cauberg in there and they'll not suspect a thing :lol: )

Might post a thread soon to see if anyone has any experience of the (apparently excellent) Dutch cycling network

Gurn King 69
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Most quoted poster on FISO for the EIGHTH consecutive (and final) year. Apparently...

Post by Gurn King 69 »

unc.si. wrote: Planning a cycling trip to Holland next May (after my route in Wales the guys (mainly non-cyclists but they do an annual cycling trip) have picked Holland next as they think I'll not be able to find any hills - I reckon I can slip the Cauberg in there and they'll not suspect a thing :lol: )

Might post a thread soon to see if anyone has any experience of the (apparently excellent) Dutch cycling network
Was thinking of something similar myself as part of my 40th birthday celebrations. Won't go until my gym membership runs out in early July though.

Wanted to cycle to Amsterdam itself (from Rochdale, Manchester), catching the ferry from Hull. Was told though that the ferries don't call at Amsterdam, stopping at Rotterdam instead. Then, I believe it's just a case of lumping yourself and your bike on a non-commuter train.

There's just me and one "maybe" so far - and he hasn't bought a bike yet. :evil: Would be great if I could persuade a neighbour to tag along (he likes a toke) as he's great with bikes and can be the mechanic. :D

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Can't you just cycle from Rotterdam to Amsterdam?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Ferry will probably go to Hoek van Holland. Then just cycle from there to Amsterdam.
Make sure you buy a couple of very strong locks and chains tho as otherwise you will get your bike stolen

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

unc.si. wrote:
Surprised wrote:You could do worse than a Dutch bike. Cheap and cheerful.

You need to remember to back pedal for braking though and no gears. But who needs gears with no hills?
You're in Holland aren't you?

Planning a cycling trip to Holland next May (after my route in Wales the guys (mainly non-cyclists but they do an annual cycling trip) have picked Holland next as they think I'll not be able to find any hills - I reckon I can slip the Cauberg in there and they'll not suspect a thing :lol: )

make it September and take part in the UCI road world championships in Limburg :)

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

unc.si. wrote:
Latic wrote:
Latic wrote:Although I'll consider WilBert's suggestion above. Going to try and get a look at this tomorrow.

http://www.alpinebikes.com/shop/bikes/hybrid/motion-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Went for this, getting it this afternoon :D
Looks good. A million times better than some full suss piece of junk from halfords.

700c wheels are a good choice if you'll mainly be on road - less rolling resistance than 26" MTB style wheels so easier and quicker to pedal. 36 spokes so will be plenty strong enough for the odd tow path / hardpack trail (I take my winter road bike on towpaths with no problems). With those wheels and gearing it should be a decent ride on a longer trip if you fancy the odd 20 or 30 mile trip out in the countryside as well.

Hope you enjoy it

Have to say I am enjoying it btw! :)

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Serious question that is initially off topic but depending on the result will leave me looking for the type of thing in the thread subject. :)

I've started riding very casually having not done it since I was a child and every time I ride more than a couple of K I end up with a dull ache in my taint. This fades after a couple of days but even happened on the last bike I borrowed which had a thick gel seat. Is this just a case of developing a resistance to it (building up calluses :?) or could it be a technique thing? Is it maybe just a feeling you get used to? I can't help but think it's not a good feeling to be getting.

My wife really wants to buy a couple of bikes but I'm loath to if I'll feel this way after each ride.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Not sure where your 'taint' is but every time I've got back on the bike I've had a pain in the bum after the first ride. Never an issue after second or third ride.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

It ain't your bum and it ain't your balls: your taint.

That's what my wife keeps telling me, we need to get into the groove and ride more often. I think she might have been put off a little after her Boris bike ride this morning. She's volunteering at the Olympics and got on one and all was going well until she got to the first roundabout before one of the major bridges! :lol:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Taint?? You're not a Victorian chambermaid in disguise are you?

If you're not used to riding you're backside will be sore for a while, but you get used to it. You don't get callouses, you just adapt.

Most comfortable saddles are narrow 'racing' saddles once you're used to them. Padded shorts (MTB stylee if you're not happy wearing lycra :lol: ) and a narrow saddle is the way forward. Wide saddles can chafe and be less comfortable. You want to find one where you actually rest your weight on the sit bones, rather than soft tissue. Saddle wants to be horizontal as well.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

Narrow saddle, good tip. Is rear suspension worth considering or is it more of a gimmick?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I would add trunk type undies, rather than briefs, or posing pouch type thongs.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

DrBunker wrote:Narrow saddle, good tip. Is rear suspension worth considering or is it more of a gimmick?
Rear suspension is fantastic. Minimum spend £1k though (Boardman do a decent FS for about £1k), and preferably around £1,800+ for a decent one.

Anything for less cash than that and it'll be heavy and not work properly. You'll use half your energy just bobbing up and down. The really cheap ones aren't damped properly and can make the ride even more uncomfortable.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

blahblah wrote:I would add trunk type undies, rather than briefs, or posing pouch type thongs.
Undies???

Recipe for disaster - too much friction.

Bare skin on chamois (real or synthetic) is the most comfortable way.

Like I say, you can go MTB style if you don't want the lycra look, but don't wear anything under the chamois.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

So ten times what I'd want to spend then? :P

I used to work in the bike department of Halfords years ago (so I'm an expert ;)) and we used to sell a tonne of those really heavy 3 inch deep rear shocks. Utterly pointless and added loads of weight but the kids loved 'em. I think I'll just focus on getting the lightest police auction bike I can pick up for around £150-200 and then stick a narrow saddle on it.

edit: Commando it is then!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Try ebay, gumtree etc.....

I'm after a couple of mountain bikes to get one that works from them, and going cleats and lycra on the road-bike :?

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Come on Blah, hurry up and get in the saddle :wink:

I am now using my bike to cycle to and from work. 20 mins there, 25 mins back. Multiplied by five and that's a nice little bit of exercise a week, plus saving on petrol and parking :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm probably averaging a bit more than that atm - it is amazing now many hills and false flats that I didn't know about :? :lol:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

@blah - The great thing is that in a couple of years time you'll not even notice riding up some of those hills.

You got the clipless pedals yet? They're a revelation. Couldn't imagine riding without them tbh.

@bluenosey - that's pretty decent exercise. Well worth it and it's pretty much 'free time', ie it's an hour of exercise a day without really having to take any time out of your family / leisure time.

My commute is about 11 miles each way, mainly traffic free along the Trent and the Canal. Takes about 45 minutes on the MTB. Well worth digging out a slightly longer route to do one or two days a week as well (I've got a 40 mile route that I do sometimes on the road bike - if there's 3 or 4 of us we can do it in c. 2 hours). Maybe you could find a 10 or 15 mile route to do sometimes - sunny evenings or the odd morning.

Sadly I've hardly been commuting on the bike lately as I've been project managing a big extension project at home for the last 4 months and like to meet up with the builders each morning. Won't be long before I can start up again though.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

There is one stretch of false flat, that is a right pain, and I only notice the longer\steep climbs.

I'm after a mountain type bike for my more functional journeys ie shopping lol, so I can get some cleats and shoes on the OCR. I've nearly mastered going very slowly, so not having to put my foot down at roundabouts, traffic lights etc. :? 8-)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Are any of the people that bought bikes last year still riding them?

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

unc.si. wrote:Are any of the people that bought bikes last year still riding them?
Yarp. To and from work each day and longer rides at weekends.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

A lack of sensible cold weather clothes has put a downer on it for the past few weeks; and I am waiting for a bike mechanic course type of thing, as it needs a bit of a tweaking to stop the chain jumping :?

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

blahblah wrote:A lack of sensible cold weather clothes has put a downer :?
Get a coat and a pair of gloves? ;-)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'll look a wally on the road bike like that, and will get too hot :lol:

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Htfu and stop complaining of getting cold then lmao.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

You still a lard ass?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”