To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Essential players......?

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
stanny
Kevin and Perry

Essential players......?

Post by stanny »

Hi All,
Iv'e been looking through the players and to be honest this year seems to be harder than usual as the prices have just shot up. I always try and have at least one of the most selected players in each of the positions (GK / DEF / MID / FOR), but this years its incredibly hard. I was just wondering what peoples first picks were and what they going to make the same picks for their final draft?
My first picks are:
Pickford (GK) - Reasonable price and England international so should be favourable for bonus points?
Maguire (DEF) - Reasonable price and a high chance he will move to either Man C or Man U
Salah (MID) - EVERYONE seems to have him, so can't risk not having him.................or can I?
Aguero (FOR) - City's main goal threat and can't see Jesus replacing him any time soon.

What are your thought - please be brutal as I need some constructive criticism to get my ar*e in gear lol

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Re: Essential players......?

Post by baganboy »

stanny wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 12:23 Hi All,
Iv'e been looking through the players and to be honest this year seems to be harder than usual as the prices have just shot up. I always try and have at least one of the most selected players in each of the positions (GK / DEF / MID / FOR), but this years its incredibly hard. I was just wondering what peoples first picks were and what they going to make the same picks for their final draft?
My first picks are:
Pickford (GK) - Reasonable price and England international so should be favourable for bonus points?
Maguire (DEF) - Reasonable price and a high chance he will move to either Man C or Man U
Salah (MID) - EVERYONE seems to have him, so can't risk not having him.................or can I?
Aguero (FOR) - City's main goal threat and can't see Jesus replacing him any time soon.

What are your thought - please be brutal as I need some constructive criticism to get my ar*e in gear lol
Welcome to the forum stanny.
We often say at the start of the season that nobody's essential. That's largely true, but not essentially so - one would say Salah of two seasons ago was indeed essential. Then there are almost-essentials, players who perform at a level far outshining their price bracket (e.g. Jimenez of Last season) -these seem to emerge as the season goes on. Then, I'd say someone like Salah of last season, even though he was the highest point-scorer, wasn't essential, and one could do very well without him.

Of your picks, I would say Pickford is not essential, as his price bracket is sub-premium. That he is an England international does not affect his bonus points; that he is a good distributor of the ball does.
Maguire at Man C would not be essential, as he would not be first choice (or at least subject to heavy rotation).
The others neither.

Salah and Aguero are excellent picks. Maguire is quite good, and I am not a fan of Pickford.
But if you choose to build a team around them, that is fair enough.

itslikebrandnew
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: ?

Post by itslikebrandnew »

Depends on what the rest of your team is surely. I don't see any player as essential.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

good to see you after a while baganboy :)

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

stanny wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 12:23 Hi All,
My first picks are:

Personally I think sterling and Salah are the closest you will get going into the season. Think one of TAA OR Robbo too .
Think they done a fine job with the pricing this time round

dod
FISOhead
FS Record: I have never won FPL.

Post by dod »

itslikebrandnew wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 13:26 Depends on what the rest of your team is surely. I don't see any player as essential.
^This.^

stanny
Kevin and Perry

Post by stanny »

Thanks for the feedback everyone - looking through the feeds KDB is quite a popular choice so that's something I need to keep an eye on. I have posted a RMT in the threads so please let me know your thoughts - I'm in a company fantasy league and this year we are all being made redundant, so I want to finish on a high lol - leave a legacy :)

jasper901
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Piss Poor

Post by jasper901 »

I am only a few years in to my FPL career. I can so that no one player is essential. However there are groups of players that are essential. For example Captains. You will suffer dearly if you do not have 1 or 2 premium players. Ie; Salah, Kane, Aguero, Sterling. However you have that covered. Also watch for mid level players 5-7m making waves through the first few matches. I purchased Jimenez last year for 5.6m and held onto him till he reached 6.9. I find it essential to look for bargain players, that are playing above there price range.

Keep in mind, this is the strategy that works for me and may not work for every one.
Also I would read the rules on the bps.

Good luck!

Artius Stelio
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: N/A

Post by Artius Stelio »

GK: I don’t think there is an essential pick in this position.

DEF: Trent or Robbo for me. I’ve got both in my team but I do think it’s essential to have at least one of them.

MID: Salah. Top point scorer in the last two seasons and would back him to make that three seasons in a row.

FOR: Kane. I think at £11m he’s an essential pick, assuming he stays fit all season his price is generous.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”