To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Toon Man RMT 18/19

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Twitter @TheFirstSub_FPL

The Toon Man RMT 18/19

Post by First Sub Podcast »

Joining the party late this season with my RMT thread, a bit like my own club :roll: , as it’s already GW11.

It’s been a very steady start, with a few unwanted hits and a ranking I’m not happy with at all. That’s probably why im turning to FISO for a few pointers.

Strategic thinking cavern, Ruth, No Way Jose and a few others I’m always have a browse up on your blog-like threads (all excellent reads btw) but I’ve decided to give mine a go. Ruth in particular I really like the way you do a preview and review of each gameweek and will probably take that on myself.

So a good place to start:

GW11 Review (so far, no Hudds/Fulham)

Ryan
Alonso Mendy Doherty
Salah (c) Hazard Mahrez Richarlison Deulofeu
Vardy (vc) Arnautovic
Button Bellerin AWB Success
0.1ITB

Think I’ve just tipped over 50 points once my auto subs are made. Quite poor for this gameweek but I consider myself pretty unlucky and really like my squad on paper.

Why?
- The Mahrez no show was something I took on board. I still think he will play more minutes than Sane and still believe 8.6mil will be brilliant value. Sterling is making a mockery of all stats at the moment and Salah + Mahrez vs Mane + Sterling is an argument I’ll be having with myself leading up to Christmas but for now (particularly with Fulham at home next for Salah (c)) I’ll be sticking with Mahrez.
- Vardy. I’ve not often seen highlights of a game where my striker has done so much but register 2 points! Sol Bamba tipping one over the bar (great save) summed up Vardy’s luck on Saturday. The goals will come and I’m keeping the faith as in that price range only Lacazette is appealing for me.
- Doherty had an assist wrongly disallowed for offside. He always looks a threat and I’m amazed to see people selling him in the transfers thread for GW12.
- Deulofeu looked promising. Watford face Saints next and then a fixtures turn. Timed with Deeney coming back I may well look at Brooks as an alternative in my M5 slot. Or a downgrade to Murphy and look to find a playing striker for Success long term (Ings).

I’ve spewed a lot of info out there, but all in all I’m happy with that squad and will definitely hold my FT this week unless injury occurs in Europe midweek? Yes?

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Re: The Toon Man RMT 18/19

GW12 Review:
48 points

Salah (c) half-delivered. I’m sure many of us here expected a much bigger haul but at least it wasn’t a blank. I’m unsure that he’s worth such an outlay, but having watched the game even before his goal he had chances. He plays a lot of the game centrally now and in that number 9 position. I can’t help but think Sterling is better value, however.

Alonso was unlucky not to score at the weekend, his attacking returns will keep him in the top 3 of defenders all season in my opinion. Bellerin also registered another assist but Aubameyang hit the post when it looked easier to score. Quietly pleased with how Bellerin always looks like grabbing an assist the way Arsenal play, its their defending that concerns me.

Going into the international break there’s a few players on the want list:-
Sterling
Aguero
Martial
Robertson

With concerns over:-
Salah (value)
Richarlison (injury)
Vardy (form)

2FT, 0.3ITB
Ryan Button
Alonso Mendy Bellerin Doherty AWB
Salah Hazard Mahrez Richarlison Deulofeu
Vardy Arnie Success

Is there any obvious transfer out in that lot?

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Vardy :arrow: Jimenez
Mahrez :arrow: Sterling

2FT done.

Part of a move back to 343 (with flexibility and a squad of 15 starters for the Christmas period).

Plan to do Salah :arrow: 4.5mid (maybe Billing) and Kamara :arrow: Aguero for a -4 next week.

This would leave 2.0 ITB to upgrade Deulofeu (don’t think he’s a long term answer now Deeney back) and possibility of bringing Robertson in for Bellerin.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Wing forwards

Having seen a discussion around the forum regarding a 3-5-2 strategy I wanted to explore the idea some more. FPL has reached a point where your 5 midfielders are not midfielders at all. It’s a generic OOP taking over, many ‘midfielders’ are not that in play style at all.

Relating this to a team, the following front 7 is fairly easily achievable for me (and anyone else as my TV isn’t great):

Salah Sterling Hazard Richarlison Martial
Arnautovic Jimenez

Yes, moving to a premium forward would always require two transfers losing you some flexibility. But you can argue do you need one? Aguero is ticking along nicely but not his usual explosive self. Kane may well become a desirable from GW15 onwards as he can be relied upon over the Christmas period. But in that 5 above you have players that are expected to score goals in their teams, not just create as your general midfielder/old fashioned winger would. There are other examples - Mane, Sane, Mahrez, Sanchez.

I believe the new dynamics of a ‘winger’ finding themselves in the box, shooting more regularly and generally being relied upon by their clubs to score goals could see a power shift to a heavy midfield in terms of FPL and it’s something I’m going to build my side towards over the next few GW’s.

(Possibly a swap involving Salah and Kane over Christmas to allow for rotations as I believe Kane is much more likely to play every minute over Christmas)

Stena Bib
FISOhead
FS Record: Finished 530 FPL 2018/19

Post by Stena Bib »

VR has been using 352 mostly this season and is 3,015 so you can't argue with his strategy so far. :idea:

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Yeah it looks strong, the top FPL midfielders are very attacking players nowadays.

I think a robust Kane may be a better pick than Salah over Christmas that’s all. Plus a 4.5 playing mid may be more use than Success during the rotation frenzy.

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

I already have that front seven in place except Willian in place of Richarlison (would prefer the Everton man this week but not worth a transfer given Chelsea host Fulham next week).

I'm currently releasing some funds from defence to upgrade Willian or Martial to Silva or Mahrez or even a Spurs midfielder.

No Aguero remains a worry, possibly Kane in future as you pointed out. However my decision will be Salah v Aguero v Kane. I won't have more than one of them whilst I have Hazard and Sterling and I want them both at the moment.

So it is 3-5-2 for now but if I want Kun I'll roll a transfer then effectively swap Salah out for him and back to 3-4-3. I don't want to lose Jimenez or Arnie just now so not looking at a 3-5-2 with Aguero but that could change if the cheap front two don't deliver.

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

Having given this further thought the main downside of a 3-5-2 like mine at the moment is no Aguero (possibly no Kane in a few weeks too).

So maybe the best way for you is to plan a 3-5-2 with Aguero. That probably means a either a cheap defence or risking low priced midfielders playing every week. No Salah makes it much easier too.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Pulpy wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 08:13 Having given this further thought the main downside of a 3-5-2 like mine at the moment is no Aguero (possibly no Kane in a few weeks too).

So maybe the best way for you is to plan a 3-5-2 with Aguero. That probably means a either a cheap defence or risking low priced midfielders playing every week. No Salah makes it much easier too.
Yeah the downside to going 3-5-2 with Kane and Arnie (for me) is that F3 will be deadspot (Success/Kamara) I’m not too fond of that over Christmas. All 3 bench spots will be needed over that rotation madness.

A long term Arnie injury may actually make things easier - same to be said for Hazard (both flagged now)

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Ryan Button
Alonso Bellerin Doherty Schindler AWB
Sterling Anderson Richarlison Fraser Deulofeu
Kane Aubameyang Wilson

1FT 0.2ITB

What to do?

Stena Bib
FISOhead

Post by Stena Bib »

You might want to consider changing Ryan as they are saying Button is not the nailed 2nd keeper.
or just roll it as there is no urgency to do it yet.

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Is the squad good enough to roll this week?

I need to choose my Bellerin replacement, really.

Digne makes the most sense. Shaw would be a gamble. Bednarek would be a fund maker.

Stena Bib
FISOhead

Post by Stena Bib »

The Toon Man wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 21:38

Digne makes the most sense. Shaw would be a gamble. Bednarek would be a fund maker.
If Digne is your choice , still might be better to roll and get next GW ?

First Sub Podcast
Grumpy Old Man

Yeah. I may look at a 3 move -4 next week in fact.

Salah is the stand out captain choice (unfortunately against Newcastle) and I could do the following next week:

Bellerin to Digne
Fraser to Salah
Aubameyang to Ings -4

Rolling into the hectic period may be wise anyway, a lot can change!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”