To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Dazza’s RMT

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Dazzab
Treebeard

Re: Dazza’s RMT

Post by Dazzab »

Trying to formulate the most ideal way to go about bringing Salah in to my team. I have looked at the following in terms of funding the move and eventually replacing Mane with Salah. If you have an opinion or other ideas for moves I would love to hear them. I currently have this weeks transfer available but planning on holding it. I also have 0.5 in the bank.

So
Trippier could be replaced by Shaw (bank 0.9), Chilwell (bank 1.0), Holebas (bank 1.1), Kabasele (bank 1.5), Cedric (bank 1.6). These were the first handful of players I identified for this job but if you can name any more suitable players please do.

David Silva could be replaced by B Silva (Bank 1.0), Maddison (bank 1.7), Fraser (bank 2.6), Gundogan (bank 3.0). Again if you see other alternatives please point them out.

Basically I just need to raise the 3.0 million to swap Mane for Salah. Looking at the most viable combination of transfers. It could be done by just the one swap of David Silva for someone like Fraser of Gundogan but some extra cash afterwards could be used to upgrade Guendouzi.

Thanks in advance
Daz

zipnolan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th. And a lot of rubbish.

Post by zipnolan »

My (generic) advice would be to treat your move to Salah in phases, with an aim to bring him in for the Huddersfield game. There is no massive urgency. Ideally you'd make the enabling swaps based on fixtures (a reasonable 6 week projection, not just for the week). Personally I'd do one of the defenders plus Silva to Maddison - my gut sense is that Bournemouth's time is ebbing, and Leicester may do well in the short term. I wouldn't do the City moves, as their rotation will keep both of your suggestions on the bench some of the time.

That's if you really want Salah, of course. I'm keeping him, but many here disagree.

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

zipnolan wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 07:20 My (generic) advice would be to treat your move to Salah in phases, with an aim to bring him in for the Huddersfield game. There is no massive urgency. Ideally you'd make the enabling swaps based on fixtures (a reasonable 6 week projection, not just for the week). Personally I'd do one of the defenders plus Silva to Maddison - my gut sense is that Bournemouth's time is ebbing, and Leicester may do well in the short term. I wouldn't do the City moves, as their rotation will keep both of your suggestions on the bench some of the time.

That's if you really want Salah, of course. I'm keeping him, but many here disagree.

Thanks! I can see Salah being sold in large numbers but surely he will still produce goals and good points. Yeah he has missed a few opportunities this year he would have buried last year but I’m sure goals will still come his way, he is getting himself into those goal scoring positions.

My reason for wanting him may also be due to me not having great success picking a captain. Last weekend was a perfect example where I was more than happy to ignore aguero and pick hazard. Not because of his hat trick the week before but I felt his fixture was good and he is freely playing the way he wants on the pitch. I was confident he would do well.
Also I’m finding I just don’t like not having him and hoping that he fails each week when clearly he has the ability to score good points in any game he plays. He is probably the only player in the league who makes me feel like that and when he is such a popular captaincy option I feel I’m falling behind on points.

If you or anyone thinks I’m not thinking properly in fpl terms please tell me.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Dazzab wrote: Also I’m finding I just don’t like not having him (Salah) and hoping that he fails each week when clearly he has the ability to score good points in any game he plays. He is probably the only player in the league who makes me feel like that and when he is such a popular captaincy option I feel I’m falling behind on points.

If you or anyone thinks I’m not thinking properly in FPL terms please tell me.
I think you are thinking like a new manager. And I don't mean bad by that, we were all there once.

When you still feel like you don't have a grasp of how the game functions, what to expect, what works and what doesn't, and then see yourself making decisions that a week later you aren't really sure why you made except it seemed a good idea at the time... well, then when you see others do well with obvious players/captain choices that you could have had it is easy to think "I'm an idiot, I don't know what I'm doing".

Fine. Accept that you don't know what you are doing because you don't yet. That's normal. Whether you are an idiot or not will depend on how you deal with that. If you accept that your first season will be a learning curve and set yourself to try to get to understand the principles of how FPL works and how to manage a team in it then you will be no idiot, you will be a fast learner. But you'll have to live with your mistakes and try to learn from them. If you treat the first season as having a license to experiment and try things out it will take the pressure off.

Incidentally, one of the things you'll have to do is to learn to separate a bad decision from a bad outcome. The first is a mistake; the second isn't, not necessarily. Sometimes you can make a good enough decision and get a poor result. Other times you can make a poor decision and get lucky (it's highly annoying when others do that, especially if it is a popular decision). The key thing is to know why you do everything that you do. What are your reasons for that decision? If you are clear about that then you will be able to examine your reasoning afterwards and see whether it was faulty or not, or whether you had taken too much of a risk, or played too safe. That way your judgement develops and that's what will make you a better manager.

That's my take anyway. Treat your team in the first season like an interesting laboratory experiment and you won't go far wrong. :)

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

Thanks Ruth.
I’m sure this year will give me plenty of learning opportunities because I will make mistakes. I’m happy to concede to that (maybe not at the time I make them though 😆) but overall it will make me a better manager.
I will also concede that I will never be capable of creating statistical data that managers on here are producing. I do count myself lucky people are happy to share it with us all though.

This ‘lab experiment’ has given me my passion for the game back. I’ve probably watched more live epl games this season, even if they are in the middle of the night, than I’ve watched in the last 10 years. I’m looking forward to seeing how I go this year and hope I catch on with as many tactical strategies as possible. I’m sure there are still many simple strategies I’m unaware of yet but there is still 7-8 months of football to go and hoping I can put what I do learn to good use.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Yeah, that's the spirit! I can't do all that statistical data either, though I do look at stats (especially early on in the season). So I am equally as appreciative as you that people like Patrician are willing to share their work. Hopefully he gets the odd useful thing from me too. :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 13:00 Incidentally, one of the things you'll have to do is to learn to separate a bad decision from a bad outcome. The first is a mistake; the second isn't, not necessarily. Sometimes you can make a good enough decision and get a poor result. Other times you can make a poor decision and get lucky (it's highly annoying when others do that, especially if it is a popular decision).
This reminds me of a an interesting olde thread about Hindsight not validating a decision kinda thing.
The above was my view, and I think the consensus opinion. eg Capt'ing random bod who gets a hat trick of GK keeping a CS and Pen Save which gets loads of Save points and BP's etc isn't right because he did it.

Ruth_NZ wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 13:00 The key thing is to know why you do everything that you do. What are your reasons for that decision? If you are clear about that then you will be able to examine your reasoning afterwards and see whether it was faulty or not, or whether you had taken too much of a risk, or played too safe. That way your judgement develops and that's what will make you a better manager.
I think that you have surpassed yourself with wise advice here.

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

I see this weekend as an opportunity for me to test my decision making and probably learn a fair bit. Setting up my team is currently a struggle due to the numbers of players facing each other.

Hazard & Alonzo v Robertson & Mane
Ings v Doherty
Richarlison v Mitrovic

It’s obviously unavoidable but I just want to set up best I can. I see clean sheets hard to come by this week so setting up an attacking team seems to be best to me. 3-4-3 is my current idea, just which players at the back is my real predicament.

Really just thinking out loud I suppose but all advice is welcome.

Patrician
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ...bears no responsibility for bad points forecasts
FS Record: 2nd TFFE 2008, FPL 3 top 10k finishes

Post by Patrician »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 13:43 Yeah, that's the spirit! I can't do all that statistical data either, though I do look at stats (especially early on in the season). So I am equally as appreciative as you that people like Patrician are willing to share their work. Hopefully he gets the odd useful thing from me too. :)
I do! Specifically, I think you are the master of spotting a left-field pick before they are on anyone else's radar. Would love to be better at that, but in the meantime, I follow your musings with much interest :D

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Patrician wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote: Yeah, that's the spirit! I can't do all that statistical data either, though I do look at stats (especially early on in the season). So I am equally as appreciative as you that people like Patrician are willing to share their work. Hopefully he gets the odd useful thing from me too. :)
I do! Specifically, I think you are the master of spotting a left-field pick before they are on anyone else's radar. Would love to be better at that, but in the meantime, I follow your musings with much interest :D
Great. Mutual benefit. What's not to like? :D

I think Joccki is better at that than me, though I have my moments. At his best, he's a brilliantly inventive manager. My best strength is in game strategy I think, working from the macro to the micro. Probably useful on FISO because a lot of stuff on here is analytical and comes from the other end. Either way, what you do covers the aspect (reading and interpretation of stats) that is probably my weakest area, for which I am genuinely grateful.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Ah, isn’t this lovely 💕

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Get back down the mine. 🖕

zipnolan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ex FISODAS champ; 2009 TFF 95th, MOTW and TFF cup qtr finalist, TFFO 78th, FPL 346th. And a lot of rubbish.

Post by zipnolan »

Dazzab wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 13:35 Thanks Ruth.
I’m sure this year will give me plenty of learning opportunities because I will make mistakes. I’m happy to concede to that (maybe not at the time I make them though 😆) but overall it will make me a better manager.
I will also concede that I will never be capable of creating statistical data that managers on here are producing. I do count myself lucky people are happy to share it with us all though.

This ‘lab experiment’ has given me my passion for the game back. I’ve probably watched more live epl games this season, even if they are in the middle of the night, than I’ve watched in the last 10 years. I’m looking forward to seeing how I go this year and hope I catch on with as many tactical strategies as possible. I’m sure there are still many simple strategies I’m unaware of yet but there is still 7-8 months of football to go and hoping I can put what I do learn to good use.
Well, you're in exactly the same situation as most of us, so the next two weeks are going to be "fun". Chelsea v Liverpool is going to be like a dress rehearsal for Liverpool v City, where the goals will surely be flying in.

I would agree that defence is going to be the potential problem - I don't see much point in relegating all high-scoring players to the bench just because they are against other high-scoring players. The fact is the Salahs, Manes, Hazards, Agueros of this world are capable of notching against anybody, so don't drop them. Looking at your team I don't see as many problems this weekend as you think you have, as you have only three Chelsea / Liverpool players. I would guess you'll get another green arrow this weekend - can't say I feel as sure about that myself.

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

Thanks zipnolan
Really looking forward to seeing how this weekend goes. I agree there will be goals scored and keen to see who can produce them in the big games. Which defenders to bench is what I need to decide. Possibly Robertson? 3 out of my 5 defenders are playing against my attackers. Clean sheets will be hard to get, well maybe not harder than any other week, it’s just that my own players could be scoring the goals against them. Good chance to make a decision and then think about why it was right or wrong after the gameweek.
Thanks for the reply.

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

This weeks transfers were
David Silva > Maddison
Mitrovic > Vardy
Hoping that Leicester’s run of fixtures pay off.

How to manage the bench is now a big concern for me (and most likely a lot of other managers too). I agonised over benching Robertson or Alonzo last week. It didn’t matter in the end, I picked Robertson and now I wonder if I dare bench him a second week in a row! The city v Liverpool game is the main issue. I have 12 out of 15 playing someone in my own squad. However it is mostly defenders v defenders and mids/forwards v mids/forwards.
Any ideas on how I should manage my team. The following is my first thought. Am I wrong in thinking the city v Liverpool game will most likely not have a clean sheet for either team?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Looks good
Gambling defence against attack is always a risk, and I’ve not looked in to this too closely, but who do you think has the best chance of returns between Ings and AWB?

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 19:59 Looks good
Gambling defence against attack is always a risk, and I’ve not looked in to this too closely, but who do you think has the best chance of returns between Ings and AWB?
That’s exactly the first decision I thought I needed to make. I don’t think Robertson has a good chance which is why he is on the bench. Looking at this season’s games Southhampton have only played one top 6 team in Liverpool and didn’t have a good result 3-0. This game against Chelsea could be similar.
The Palace v Wolves game could quite easily be a 0-0 with neither team scoring heaps of goals so far. Or at least one team keeping a clean sheet as they both have reasonable defensive records. I suppose if I look at it that way then AWB would be a better option.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Dazzab wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 21:53
Smurphy's Paw wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 19:59 Looks good
That’s exactly the first decision I thought I needed to make. I don’t think Robertson has a good chance which is why he is on the bench. Looking at this season’s games Southhampton have only played one top 6 team in Liverpool and didn’t have a good result 3-0. This game against Chelsea could be similar.
The Palace v Wolves game could quite easily be a 0-0 with neither team scoring heaps of goals so far. Or at least one team keeping a clean sheet as they both have reasonable defensive records. I suppose if I look at it that way then AWB would be a better option.
Based on low to modest expectations for both, it’s a call that could go the wrong way. I’d back AWB. As you’ll see from my thread, I am advised to back him less by others!

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

I'd probably play AWB this week as well. Not that I want to encourage SP in this, I might add. :P

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

Thanks SP and Ruth.

I agree, I think the Chelsea game might be a bit more difficult for Ings to score.

Cheers
Good luck

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

I like how managers here write a review of their week with reasoning behind the decisions they made and how they paid off. Might write a couple of my own. Not that I would be of much help to people but at least I can reflect on what I did with the option of others giving their opinion. Something I can look back on in the future too.

So, here is how I did for GW 8

75 points with an Overall Rank of 157k. Another green arrow but considering my week 1 rank of 4.3million any score above average will do that.

My transfers were
D Silva > Maddison
Mitrovic > Vardy
I would have scored 4 points from the 2 players either way so no gains yet but hoping the Leicester fixtures will pay off in the mid term.

The stand outs were Doherty and Hazard who I luckily captained over Aguero. I felt Aguero’s recent run of subbing off early and tough fixture versus Hazard’s fixture against a battling Southhampton defence was good enough reason. Playing the full 90 isn’t essential but I would rather go with that option and Hazard backed that up with his assist close to if not in 2nd half added time.

Playing AWB over Robertson was my mistake benching his 6 points against AWB’s 2. It was the 2nd week in a row I’ve benched Robertson because of his fixtures and against city I was confident they wouldn’t keep a clean sheet. Mahrez might have Liverpool defenders in his fpl team 😳.

I still have 3 premium defenders in my team in Alonzo, Trippier and Robertson. Still undecided if I will release one in upcoming weeks to free up funds to spend up front.

Looking forwards to GW 9 and I’m most likely to use my free transfer to swap out Hennessy before his tough run of fixtures and bring in a 4.5 gk as I have nothing ITB right now. Ryan is on my radar. If Hennessy could magically rise to 4.6 I would grab Patricio.
Hoping Vardy turns up with his scoring boots on against Arsenal and Maddison provides good assistance. Also hoping the 2 weeks break gives Aguero a chance to rest and come back in to form against Burnley. This could make me consider giving him the captaincy again as Hazard is up against United, not that teams have struggled to score against them lately! Mane also has the chance to prove his worth against Huddersfield. If he can’t and KDB returns fit soon then that swap could be on the cards.

To date I still haven’t taken a hit. Purely because i haven’t worked out when it would be worth it. My team isn’t struggling and I feel I have just gotten through a couple of weeks of tough fixtures for a large chunk of my team quite well.

Feel free to comment on anything that glares out at you with my squad. I obviously wouldn’t have risen so much through the rankings if people hadn’t in the past.

Daz

zipnolan
Dumbledore

Post by zipnolan »

Personally I wouldn't use a transfer on a cheap gk, though I see why you don't like Palace's next fixtures. I'd stick and hope he makes a lot of saves....

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

zipnolan wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 12:31 Personally I wouldn't use a transfer on a cheap gk, though I see why you don't like Palace's next fixtures. I'd stick and hope he makes a lot of saves....
Pretty much nails where I am with bigger fires elsewhere.

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

Would Alonzo to Mendy be a better option for this week? Would make getting Alonzo back a bit harder but I’ll still have 3 premium defenders. As I’ve read Alonzo has been pulled back a bit, not as attacking?
Considering giving Aguero the captaincy again over Hazard. And what do people think about benching Maddison to play Ings this week too?

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

This is my considered line up for GW9. I haven’t made my free transfer yet. Like I said I’m considering Alonzo > Mendy, and captaining Aguero again over Hazard. Any glaring misses I am failing to see?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Can you get him in for Tripppier?

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

blahblah wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 08:12 Can you get him in for Tripppier?
Looks like 0.1 short as he has owned Tripper from game week one and zilch in the bank.
Hold Alonso this week and roll a transfer imo.
Good luck anyway Dazza

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

Oxford NZ wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 08:29
blahblah wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 08:12 Can you get him in for Tripppier?
Looks like 0.1 short as he has owned Tripper from game week one and zilch in the bank.
Hold Alonso this week and roll a transfer imo.
Good luck anyway Dazza
Yeah 0.1 short for trippier.
Does benching Maddison to play Ings sound ok?
Haven’t seen a gw9 captain poll so interested in seeing if people think Kun will play a full 90 and be worth captaining?

Cheers

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

This benching dilemma is exactly what I'm looking to avoid as it scrambles my only functioning brain cell.

Looking beyond this GW.. having Maddi and Vardy with what I assume is a home rotating 4th defender means the same issue everyone you don't fancy Leicester? Not that Arse are much good at the back, especially against pace... what are they like against corners?

Btw, don't expect an answer here :lol:

Not having who makes these decisions easier? Ings? Maddi\Rich? Using the H\A defender as a starter rather than 1st sub?

If that is too confusing to even think about, let alone solve: then why not downgrade Trippier and upgrade Ings or Maddi and go 3-4-3?

BHA or Hudds (see my RMT, where I hope to do more words soon about lesser Clubs) could work re 3 cheapies as 3rd def and 1st 2 subs.

Dazzab
Treebeard

Post by Dazzab »

blahblah wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 10:15 This benching dilemma is exactly what I'm looking to avoid as it scrambles my only functioning brain cell.

Looking beyond this GW.. having Maddi and Vardy with what I assume is a home rotating 4th defender means the same issue everyone you don't fancy Leicester? Not that Arse are much good at the back, especially against pace... what are they like against corners?

Btw, don't expect an answer here :lol:

Not having who makes these decisions easier? Ings? Maddi\Rich? Using the H\A defender as a starter rather than 1st sub?

If that is too confusing to even think about, let alone solve: then why not downgrade Trippier and upgrade Ings or Maddi and go 3-4-3?

BHA or Hudds (see my RMT, where I hope to do more words soon about lesser Clubs) could work re 3 cheapies as 3rd def and 1st 2 subs.
I have actually considered downgrading one of my defenders to fund an upgrade like you mentioned. Trippier has alway been my first choice to lose. However he has been getting good points. In fact most of my defenders have done ok lately, clean sheets at least.

How to downgrade is what I’m not sure about. Do I go with someone who is playing every week to sit on my bench who I can rotate, another wolves defender possibly? Or save as much as I can and pick a 3.9 who won’t see a minute.

I purposely got Maddison and Vardy in on the same week due to their points potential and good run of fixtures. I haven’t seen much of Arsenal lately but they have been doing well so I figured Maddison on the bench away to Arsenal is worth letting Ings play against Bournemouth. Ings was unlucky/came close to scoring against Chelsea last game so I’m thinking he is a decent chance of points this week.

I can see a cheaper defender will help my benching dilemmas. Gives me an easier benching option instead of a mid priced player who I have just got in to my squad to score points. I just need to convince myself the funds will be beneficial to upgrading a mid or forward for someone who will confidently cover the points of the defender I lose.

Mane has a broken thumb? He still should play yeah?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”