To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

All Aboard the Double Decker - Jose’s RMT

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Fluked first season

Re: All Aboard the Double Decker - Jose’s RMT

Post by No Way Jose »

Latest squad with the city defensive triple up

Ederson

Alonso mendy Robertson Laporte

Salah hazard Mané Barkley

Murray Arnautovic

Button Doherty Murphy success

I’m bang on this money wise currently

If Barkley’s game time looks like dropping I’d move him to deulofeu and then Murray to Mitrovic in 4-5 weeks when the fixtures shift for Brighton vs Fulham.

Doherty and Murphy to definitely get games in that space and form a very strong bench. Not sure on success but as S3 it makes sense even if he goes back to being a 1 pointer

Thoughts?

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

It's brave and unusual but could do really well. As I mentioned elsewhere, I quite like the City defensive triple up.

The forward line is obviously weak but you know that and it is the inevitable result of loading up defence and playing a strong midfield. It's easy enough to downgrade one of your midfielders if the landscape changes and a premium forward becomes essential. I am not convinced now is the time to get Murray in, he tends to score better at home (only 1 away goal so far this season) and three of the next four are away. In fact, only 3 of the next 8 are at home and one of those is Chelsea. Having said that, all the other options at that price point have similar questions to answer.

Doherty may be too good for S1 but he may well cover rotation a fair amount, plus I guess you can bring him in for Murray and go 5-4-1 on occasion. Murphy and Success are decent S2/3 options.
I guess the biggest question would be Barkley, but you are allowed a punt on wildcard and this has lots of potential.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

Aldershot Rejects wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 23:55 It's brave and unusual but could do really well. As I mentioned elsewhere, I quite like the City defensive triple up.

The forward line is obviously weak but you know that and it is the inevitable result of loading up defence and playing a strong midfield. It's easy enough to downgrade one of your midfielders if the landscape changes and a premium forward becomes essential. I am not convinced now is the time to get Murray in, he tends to score better at home (only 1 away goal so far this season) and three of the next four are away. In fact, only 3 of the next 8 are at home and one of those is Chelsea. Having said that, all the other options at that price point have similar questions to answer.

Doherty may be too good for S1 but he may well cover rotation a fair amount, plus I guess you can bring him in for Murray and go 5-4-1 on occasion. Murphy and Success are decent S2/3 options.
I guess the biggest question would be Barkley, but you are allowed a punt on wildcard and this has lots of potential.
Ruth has suggested similar re Doherty and Murray so possibly ditching mendy or Alonso for a Balbuena and trying to upgrade Murray to vardy is on the table. Reduces surgery for bringing a premium forward in later so probably smart and hopefully vardy is due and motivated

Good point re Murray. Will see if I can squeeze vardy in

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

I would always advise totally against ditching Alonso and Mendy. But you know that I will say that, and you know my reasons.
Absolutely go with it if you are convinced - FPL is not a game that you have to play in one way only.

Vardy remains a good pick. Though he looked visibly shaken and teary at the stadium the other day. The tragedy could spur him on immediately , or it could deflate him for a bit.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

baganboy wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 02:36 I would always advise totally against ditching Alonso and Mendy. But you know that I will say that, and you know my reasons.
Absolutely go with it if you are convinced - FPL is not a game that you have to play in one way only.

Vardy remains a good pick. Though he looked visibly shaken and teary at the stadium the other day. The tragedy could spur him on immediately , or it could deflate him for a bit.
Yeah i'm reluctant and having bought alonso at 6.5 it's not necessarily a gamble I want given chelsea's reasonable fixtures, he's nailed etc

Yeah vardy could go either way. One thing about him is he doesn't go to water under pressure so I'd expect him to perform well

Do think i'm more comfortable about my squad above without him. Any critiques on that particular squad? Murray being the main weak point. He will become mitrovic in 5 weeks time in my mind

dod
FISOhead
FS Record: I have never won FPL.

Post by dod »

Your squad looks pretty much optimal for the current GW and I would be very surprised if you didn't reap a massive score. I don't hate the City defensive triple up and having Doherty as an option is great. I also like the structure with a forward at S3 although I think I prefer Kamara who is 0.2m cheaper and has better fixtures during the busy Xmas period. I wonder though if, given that you don't have a lot of rotation risk in your squad, whether spending 0.2m extra on Success is justifiable considering he may never be needed and if he loses his place once Deeney is fit he becomes a risk of losing SV as there are cheaper options.

My main issue though is the lack of flexibility especially given the big fixture shift coming up around GW15/16. You have tripled up on City and Pool and have double Chelsea. While not terrible come GW16 their fixtures are mediocre compared to Spurs, Arsenal and Utd. You will struggle to get in a City midfielder if one emerges as a must have and you have no slot for a premium striker. Bournemouth's fixtures are pretty horrible until GW30 so that doesn't leave a very big pool to choose from in the mid-price range and you are looking to play 2 of them. A lot relies on Arnie maintaining his fitness.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

dod wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 06:40 Your squad looks pretty much optimal for the current GW and I would be very surprised if you didn't reap a massive score. I don't hate the City defensive triple up and having Doherty as an option is great. I also like the structure with a forward at S3 although I think I prefer Kamara who is 0.2m cheaper and has better fixtures during the busy Xmas period. I wonder though if, given that you don't have a lot of rotation risk in your squad, whether spending 0.2m extra on Success is justifiable considering he may never be needed and if he loses his place once Deeney is fit he becomes a risk of losing SV as there are cheaper options.

My main issue though is the lack of flexibility especially given the big fixture shift coming up around GW15/16. You have tripled up on City and Pool and have double Chelsea. While not terrible come GW16 their fixtures are mediocre compared to Spurs, Arsenal and Utd. You will struggle to get in a City midfielder if one emerges as a must have and you have no slot for a premium striker. Bournemouth's fixtures are pretty horrible until GW30 so that doesn't leave a very big pool to choose from in the mid-price range and you are looking to play 2 of them. A lot relies on Arnie maintaining his fitness.
Thank you for the quality critique!

Yeah definitely looking to get a rankings boost from the next 6 weeks to gain some ground and get some momentum going. That’s going to have drawbacks but I think I’m prepared to work them and try and even the squad out as I go along.

To be honest I agree re kamara. My opinion has been that he’s a 1 pointer again in no time. Ruth pointed out to me that he is Watfords record signing and Gracia has a history of rewarding good form. With Deeney being club captain though and back soon I’m skeptical. I haven’t analyzed Christmas fixtures yet. Fulham have good match ups? Obviously that’s when I’ll likely need him!

Even worse than that, with Barkley it’s triple Chelsea too! :lol: I’m happy enough my city and pool players are close to season keepers unless I want Aguero at some stage, which I surely will of Jesus is injured or he starts getting more than 60 minutes.

I agree that I will want spurs players in their good run but I’d expect a salah or mane to be sacrificed to bring in Kane/Eriksen for that run and if salah is looking the goods it’s possible that would justify missing Kane anyway. Mane to Eriksen is easy, mendy or Alonso to trippier. Not too hard but definitely needs planning and critique definitely taken on board!

The problem with those 3 clubs is no players have announced themselves as worthy of inclusion. Lacazette is definitely on the radar for a striker upgrade week 16 for Murray. That possibly depends again on Kane’s form. If united have sorted their defence, or if martial keeps his place and form then he’d replace Barkley who is very punty let’s be honest

Another out for Murray is Mitrovic who have a reasonable fixture swap. That would be the Eriksen route rather than the Kane route into spurs. No certainties there but reasonable options. Agreed re Arnie. Injuries are always a spanner though and he’s had more rest of late. I understand the apprehension over the weak forward line though! Not my natural game but the mane +1.4m vs Aguero gamble was one I thought reasonable as no other forwards seemed worth the hassle in a period where salah and hazard will cover captaincy well

Any of my logic have holes? I’m very aware of my own tunnel vision and confirmation biases!

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

Here's a bit of blue commentary
No Way Jose wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 23:01 Latest squad with the city defensive triple up

City Players:

Ederson
mendy Laporte

Fantastic. I love it. The only point is that this excludes you from having any other city player.

Other Premium defenders
Alonso Robertson

Superb too. What you have done with these five players is that you have made sure that your floor is a high one.

Premium/ Super Premiums
Salah hazard Mané

Three of them, and in my opinion, three of the best five premiums.

8 of the 11 as of yet. No complaints. Almost the best that money can get

3X 5.5-7m attackers
Barkley

Murray Arnautovic

Doherty

This is the 4X from whom the players no 9-11 come from. Doherty ass backup can safely play about 19 of the next 28 games. Reasonably 21.
A Barkley rotation should not scare you.
An Arnie injury should not scare you.
However, both of them together, allied with a 36-year old minutes-managed Murray during the Christmas season? Maybe there is a bit of a cause for worry there. Murphy and Success are typical 2-point bench players in my opinion.

Button Murphy success

If Barkley’s game time looks like dropping I’d move him to deulofeu and then Murray to Mitrovic in 4-5 weeks when the fixtures shift for Brighton vs Fulham.

Doherty and Murphy to definitely get games in that space and form a very strong bench. Not sure on success but as S3 it makes sense even if he goes back to being a 1 pointer

Thoughts?

I personally feel that three slots in your team being attackers between the 5.5-7m price range is a bit of a risk. Because this is the specific price range that is most affected by fixture fluctuations, sudden impacts to form, boardroom upheavals, or being picked/not.
Most players in this price range will end up with around 140-160 odd points by end of season. At a specific patch within the season they would have been 5.5ppg players, and at other patches they would be 2.5ppg players.
Just in my opinion, getting one slot of the 5.5-7m attacker right all the time is a very achievable target. Getting two slots is not impossible, and getting three slots, is very very tough.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

baganboy wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 10:25 Here's a bit of blue commentary
No Way Jose wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 23:01 Latest squad with the city defensive triple up

City Players:

Ederson
mendy Laporte

Fantastic. I love it. The only point is that this excludes you from having any other city player.

Other Premium defenders
Alonso Robertson

Superb too. What you have done with these five players is that you have made sure that your floor is a high one.

Premium/ Super Premiums
Salah hazard Mané

Three of them, and in my opinion, three of the best five premiums.

8 of the 11 as of yet. No complaints. Almost the best that money can get

3X 5.5-7m attackers
Barkley

Murray Arnautovic

Doherty

This is the 4X from whom the players no 9-11 come from. Doherty ass backup can safely play about 19 of the next 28 games. Reasonably 21.
A Barkley rotation should not scare you.
An Arnie injury should not scare you.
However, both of them together, allied with a 36-year old minutes-managed Murray during the Christmas season? Maybe there is a bit of a cause for worry there. Murphy and Success are typical 2-point bench players in my opinion.

Button Murphy success

Thoughts?

I personally feel that three slots in your team being attackers between the 5.5-7m price range is a bit of a risk. Because this is the specific price range that is most affected by fixture fluctuations, sudden impacts to form, boardroom upheavals, or being picked/not.
Most players in this price range will end up with around 140-160 odd points by end of season. At a specific patch within the season they would have been 5.5ppg players, and at other patches they would be 2.5ppg players.
Just in my opinion, getting one slot of the 5.5-7m attacker right all the time is a very achievable target. Getting two slots is not impossible, and getting three slots, is very very tough.
Thanks bb!

I’m a big fan of those 8 too! I think Doherty and Murphy have shown to be the best of their price range and great value bench players/50-60% at least starter in the case of Doherty

I definitely agree and it’s a price bracket I don’t typically have much luck in so will happily alter it in the future. Possibly spreading mane funds and/or ditching ederson

I think Arnie is definitely worth the gamble. Murray I’m less sure on given his lack of performance away from home. But Doherty or Murphy can cover that possibly. Murray to either become Mitrovic or be upgraded.

Losing Alonso or changing formation would have to happen to turn Murray into vardy. Alonso to Balbuena and success to kamara would let me afford it. You were previously against the thought of losing Alonso though. Do you see a better way to upgrade Murray?

Barkley is very short term punty. I’m 100% open to seeing a different route there. Deulofeu is my get out option. FPL always demands some budget players with risk involved. Especially when I’ve got for certainty of sorts through 8-9 players elsewhere in the squad. I could definitely get on board for bringing richarlison back in and rotating him with Doherty over this period

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)

Post by baganboy »

This might sound flippant, but it's not.
No Way Jose wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 10:39 Losing Alonso or changing formation would have to happen to turn Murray into vardy. Alonso to Balbuena and success to kamara would let me afford it. You were previously against the thought of losing Alonso though. Do you see a better way to upgrade Murray?

Barkley is very short term punty. I’m 100% open to seeing a different route there. Deulofeu is my get out option. FPL always demands some budget players with risk involved. Especially when I’ve got for certainty of sorts through 8-9 players elsewhere in the squad. I could definitely get on board for bringing richarlison back in and rotating him with Doherty over this period
Yes of course.

In my opinion, you have 4X premium defenders (RAM and AL, who are doing well); 1X premium GK (who is doing well); and 3X premium attackers (who you think will do well). There is only one other slot where you can fill a premium player who you can keep and forget, in your fifth defence spot.

Doherty + Murray :arrow: Trippier + cheap striker (5.2?).

If you are not playing Doherty, what's the point in keeping that slot? Upgrade to a player who will definitely get more points than Murray and Doherty, and who you will play every match. Maybe downgrade the bench a bit?
Now you have only 2X 5.5-7m attackers. Arnie (who is good), and Barkley (who is a punt)

With Salah + Hazard in your team, your team will be imbalanced in some position or the other. I'd rather that imbalance is in the bench than in the spine.

(PS: Nothing against Doherty. I play him every match in my team, and consider him the equivalent of a 5.5M defender)

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

baganboy wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 11:54 This might sound flippant, but it's not.
No Way Jose wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 10:39 Losing Alonso or changing formation would have to happen to turn Murray into vardy. Alonso to Balbuena and success to kamara would let me afford it. You were previously against the thought of losing Alonso though. Do you see a better way to upgrade Murray?

Yes of course.

In my opinion, you have 4X premium defenders (RAM and AL, who are doing well); 1X premium GK (who is doing well); and 3X premium attackers (who you think will do well). There is only one other slot where you can fill a premium player who you can keep and forget, in your fifth defence spot.

Doherty + Murray :arrow: Trippier + cheap striker (5.2?).

If you are not playing Doherty, what's the point in keeping that slot? Upgrade to a player who will definitely get more points than Murray and Doherty, and who you will play every match. Maybe downgrade the bench a bit?
Now you have only 2X 5.5-7m attackers. Arnie (who is good), and Barkley (who is a punt)

With Salah + Hazard in your team, your team will be imbalanced in some position or the other. I'd rather that imbalance is in the bench than in the spine.

(PS: Nothing against Doherty. I play him every match in my team, and consider him the equivalent of a 5.5M defender)
I agree but it’s probably more what I’m more comfortable with in my playing style. I don’t think I want to go 5atb permanently but it will happen 50% of the time minimum in a planned way, not factoring in Doherty being first sub and coming in when players are rotated. I prefer that to trippier and a 5.2, as as you say Doherty can be considered a 5.5 rather than a 4.5.

ATM my mind has gone away from Barkley and back to richarlison, with fab in goals. That way Doherty will rotate with rich and Murray and play all games not against top 6 teams. Murray will become Mitrovic around 16-17. I’m more confident in Mitrovic than Murray but fixtures dictate picking Murray and swapping. I do think Mitrovic and Arnie will justify their prices over the course of a season, and especially if I play the fixtures. Added bonus that I really like them as players to watch.

I think a 541/532/442 based on fixtures is actually really strong, a strong bench with like .5 over base price when purchase price is considered.

A big part of this though are my reservations about Barkley more than Murray and not wanting to upset the squad balance too much to bring in an unpredictable vardy

Droughton
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 11/12 - 292

Post by Droughton »

In short I think the logic of tripling and doubling from top teams and ignoring quality cheaper players from lower teams like Richarlison, Pererya etc isn’t the best.

Think the city triple up looks good but they do score a lot of goals and maybe you should have one of Silva/Sterling/Aguero

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

Thanks everyone for your advice this week, especially the advice I haven’t used but have taken on board to help me more accountable about my own decisions and think more laterally in a few calls

My last consideration is whether with the hazard news i gamble some tv on basically doing Murray to Aguero and hazard to Barkley and then reverse it in the next week or 2, possibly for a hit this week.

Wastes .2-.3 TV (bought hazard at 10.9 and Murray likely to rise today) and possibly -4 but wanted this week to be a big one and no hazard who would have been captain is bumming me out!

Will probably just leave hazard for his 45 minutes and captain salah or Arnautovic instead

Arnie is higher volatility as dod would say and I am currently looking to increase it a touch

Redsnout
Treebeard
FS Record: 676 - FPL (2016-17)

Post by Redsnout »

if you have plan to bring back Hazard in 1-2 weeks, it's not a great idea to drop him now imo, especially when he is poised to play. Last time Sarri said he would feature only 45mins, he ended up playing 90mins, if i remember correctly.

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

Yeah pretty reckless and wasteful. Just Aguero nerves I think. Hope you’re right!

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Good luck Jose

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

Aldershot Rejects wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 22:51 Good luck Jose
Same to you AR and everyone else on here. Legends

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Commiserations. At least you didn't make actual changes all week, it could have been worse. :(

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

I didn’t hit the button 😵

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

Oh my god. How did this happen? I’m done

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

On holidays as of yesterday, drove 7 hours forgot to hit the button. -40, more than my score so far for the week :lol:

Have a good year everyone, see you next year maybe

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Are you trying to impress Raoul’s wife?

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore

Oh no. Disaster :(

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Turn it to your advantage, you are still learning the game so use this season to experiment. And actually 40 points isn't so bad, you still have the wildcard and can use it to advantage later.

On FFS they have a 2nd half of the season league that starts in GW20. Use your wildcard in GW19 and make your season aim to win that maybe?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Good advice Ruth

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

No Way Jose
Grumpy Old Man

Post by No Way Jose »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 00:37 Image
😂

All good lads. Will probably just ignore my rank a touch and pretend I’m 40 further ahead than reality :lol:

Probably good to invest a little less time here and more in real life too :lol:

RuudTheDudeVanTheMan
Dumbledore
FS Record: Pioneer and perpetual main protagonist of the prestigious perennial Phlegmiership. Other than that particularly pointless prize pretty average.

2 time Divisional Championships Premier League winner :)

Post by RuudTheDudeVanTheMan »

Is this the real life?, is this just fantasy?...

dod
FISOhead
FS Record: I have never won FPL.

Post by dod »

Ouch! My commiserations :( .

It's probably not what you want to hear but if not hitting the wildcard button was based on some idea that your transfers would effect the market that is a flawed hypothesis. For that to have any effect your transfer would not only have to be the one that takes that player beyond the price threshold but there would have to have been no transfers made afterwards that would have done the same thing. The odds are miniscule that you would ever make a difference.

If i'm wildcarding I always activate the chip immediately. The chances that I would forget or are unable to do so dwarf the tiny theoretical advantages gained.

On the plus side at least you didn't tinker all week like I do. If i'd done it it would have been at least a -80 :lol: . And you've got the team you wanted and you still have your wildcard left (hint: GW16 :wink: ). Hits aren't necessarily the disaster some would have you believe. The first season I played the guy who finished top of my main mini-league took over 200 pts worth of hits and still finished with an OR of 4289 :shock: .

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

Not sure it helps you but I could be hitting 40 points in hits soon and I have all ready blown my first WC in GW3.
Have a bit of fun and play the season out, The little victories outweigh the lows imo.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”