To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Joccki's Weekly

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Re: Joccki's Weekly

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Well, the -4 is already done. I don't believe Dann gets his place back this week, Hodgson made a bunch of non-commital comments that amounted to the fact that he had simply preferred Tomkins. No-one would like it better than me if Dann started this midweek because I'd like to play him. I just don't believe it will happen. Therefore you are probably fielding 10. And therefore the extra hit is worthwhile in my view, for what it's worth, especially if you are getting someone (like Dunk/Duffy) that isn't just a short-term fix but can help long-term.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

I don’t quite understand why, given so many non-playing players, you didn’t include a focus on increasing the number of likely starters in your changes

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:I don’t quite understand why, given so many non-playing players, you didn’t include a focus on increasing the number of likely starters in your changes

You are probably right, but I preferred to get the big-hitters I want long term. I have most of those now (Alonso, Hazard, Sané, Kane) so my focus will go to the weak spots I still carry (Foster, Dann, Mbemba, Joselu).

Big chance I’ll pull through a last-minute move for a £4.5 defender though.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Joccki_10 wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 09:53
Smurphy's Paw wrote:I don’t quite understand why, given so many non-playing players, you didn’t include a focus on increasing the number of likely starters in your changes

You are probably right, but I preferred to get the big-hitters I want long term. I have most of those now (Alonso, Hazard, Sané, Kane) so my focus will go to the weak spots I still carry (Foster, Dann, Mbemba, Joselu).

I know that you’re just waiting for a chance to ditch Joselu. Quite right.
At least he’s playing and won’t do much worse than most F3’s. I’d leave him be for a week or two

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 13:13
Joccki_10 wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 09:53

I know that you’re just waiting for a chance to ditch Joselu. Quite right.
At least he’s playing and won’t do much worse than most F3’s. I’d leave him be for a week or two

Yep... There hasn't been an obvious replacement for weeks now and Newcastle's fixtures have been pretty decent. According to Flashscore he even had three big chances against Watford last weekend, but we all know what kind of finisher he is... :roll:

I have my eye on Gray (GW16/17), though I prefer Richarlison and I won't double up on Watford attacking assets.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

I guess I’m going to take my chances with Dann this gameweek. I have no-one to sub in in case he doesn’t make it, but I can’t see any direct replacement below £4.7 being worth the hit this week.

Ideally I’d like Zeegelaar in that spot, but he could be replaced by Holebas for this midweek game and Watford are playing United.

Still... I could be fielding less than 10 players if I’m unlucky. I’m feeling the heat to still pull a transfer through before the deadline.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

44, -4. No-shows from Elliot, Fernández, Dann, and Sané made me have only 11 players. Yes, I know you can't field more, but still...

Captain Hazard came on for a cameo. Salah came on for something else. Horrible.

I'm just glad Mbemba and Quaner both got starts. And Sterling softened the blow again with a late goal.

After GW14:
Points tally - 717
Overall rank - 1,168,109

Down the million. Wow. Is it really Salah who's destroying me (in the last six GW's he got 62 while my similarly priced Eriksen got 13...) or am I managing my team poorly in comparison to last season?

I don't know. Anyway, the Egyptian won't destroy me anymore. Dann/Eriksen :arrow: Tarkowski/Salah done for a hit.

Kiko, Zeegelaar, Richarlison, the Gunners (Ramsey, Özil, Giroud) and Shaqiri on the watchlist.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

No, you aren't managing badly, maybe you wildcarded too early. Those that held to GW8 or later have seemed to do much better, the early wildcard caused you issues that have taken some time to resolve. You are getting your team in shape now and should be able to gain ground steadily. If you can manage 250k by GW23, which is within reach, then you can still have a high finish.

I'd have taken Mané rather than Salah myself but I can understand why you didn't. :)

YourMumsModesty
Treebeard
FS Record: 2019/20: 33,413

Post by YourMumsModesty »

For what it's worth, I wildcarded in GW12 and went down in rank straight away like a lot of people seem to have done.

If I'd waited until GW14 or GW15 I would probably have been better off but when I pulled the trigger, I thought the timing was fine because I really wondered whether I'd use it at all if I held on to it. Little did I know what would happen so soon after I did.

As for Salah ... part of me really fancies him for the golden boot now, he just doesn't seem like he's going to stop scoring. I should captain him this GW but I won't and he'll still score and I'll wonder what I was thinking but oh well.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

And there goes Joselu to the bench. Will he return? Would we notice?

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Smurphy's Paw wrote:And there goes Joselu to the bench. Will he return? Would we notice?

He’s on my bench as well. I’m confident of Quaner starting again. Joselu will be gone next week.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

55, -4. A bit more than last week, but again not good at all.

Eight blanks and returns only from Foster, Salah and Hazard. Fortunately though the latter was my captain.

Joselu dropped to the bench, Mbemba and Quaner started their second consecutive game.

After GW15:
Points tally - 768
Overall rank - 1,045,901

Okay, I'm going to set up a goal. I'm a striker myself so maybe that helps. The goal is to be inside the top 300k by GW22, right when 2018 starts. That should be manageable.

I've already done my transfer for this week. Sold Sané, who was dropping in price, bought Ramsey, who was rising. I could have gone for a straight £8.8 swap with Coutinho as well, but I thought he is too much of a rotation risk come Christmas.

The plan is to work towards a decent 4-5-1 formation since I still don't like any of the forwards. Well, Firmino, but he is a stretch too far for me.

I'll be playing 3-5-2 this week, but after GW16 I'm thinking of doing Fàbregas/Fernández :arrow: Richarlison or Shaqiri/Christensen. That means a Chelsea block in defence.

And yeah, Joselu survives, again. :roll:

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

I am contemplating a late Fernández :arrow: Zeegelaar for a hit to have an 'extra' assured starter. Any late thoughts?

Caf
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Mostly 250k finishes!

Post by Caf »

Joccki_10 wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 11:21 I am contemplating a late Fernández :arrow: Zeegelaar for a hit to have an 'extra' assured starter. Any late thoughts?
I did the same but for Mariappa.

Don’t see the point in keeping Fernandez now - his fixtures turn awful from next week.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

My only worry would be whether Zeeeeegeeeelar is nailed on, but otherwise sounds decent.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Hmm, didn’t pull through. Don’t fancy Watford to keep a clean sheet at Turf Moor.

As for GW17: the decision to go 4-5-1 still isn’t clear for me. 4-4-2 is also a possibility and if I’d go there I’d like to bring Firmino in for Joselu, which needs a total downgrade of £1.3m elsewhere. Fernández/Fàbregas :arrow: Kenny/Lingard?

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Aldershot Rejects wrote:My only worry would be whether Zeeeeegeeeelar is nailed on, but otherwise sounds decent.

Dodged a bullet there. ;)

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

Phew. I was worried you'd done it

Redsnout
Treebeard
FS Record: 676 - FPL (2016-17)

Post by Redsnout »

And Joselu scores!! I remembered you when he scored, but benched.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Redsnout wrote:And Joselu scores!! I remembered you when he scored, but benched.

Unbelievable, right? Fortunately he didn’t get any bonus points...

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: OR 1,259 2016/17

Post by TheBigLewandowski »

When he scored I couldn't believe it :lol:
I actually thought at the time I hope you didn't bench him this week :oops: :mrgreen:

Redsnout
Treebeard
FS Record: 676 - FPL (2016-17)

Post by Redsnout »

The scenes when Joselu comes from bench to rescue the Salah no-show tomorrow :mrgreen:

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Redsnout wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 20:59 The scenes when Joselu comes from bench to rescue the Salah no-show tomorrow :mrgreen:

That would put a smile on my face. :)

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Joccki_10 wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 11:57 Hmm, didn’t pull through. Don’t fancy Watford to keep a clean sheet at Turf Moor.

As for GW17: the decision to go 4-5-1 still isn’t clear for me. 4-4-2 is also a possibility and if I’d go there I’d like to bring Firmino in for Joselu, which needs a total downgrade of £1.3m elsewhere. Fernández/Fàbregas :arrow: Kenny/Lingard?

Depending on the performances of Firmino and Lingard today... I'm thinking Fernández/Fàbregas/Joselu :arrow: Ogbonna/Lingard/Firmino. Exact funds.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

55 and I am very disappointed after a pretty decent Saturday. Sunday spilled it again.

Now that I have looked at my team, the points have been spread exactly the same as in GW15.

A captain haul, one clean sheet and a return from Salah. Nothing more, because I benched Joselu who *claps hands* scored a goal. :roll:

After GW16:
Points tally - 823
Overall rank - 892,821

I did however climb up the rankings; from a little above 1m to a little below 900k. Now I'm looking at a big hit to get my team into the right direction.
  • Fàbregas needs to go. I'm worried he will be rested midweek and I need that Chelsea spot for Morata next gameweek. The problem is Ramsey. Getting injured right after I brought him in and being at the same price range as Fàbregas I don't know how I will handle that.
  • One of Fernández or Joselu needs to go. Actually both, but I will probably need to play only one of these spots in midweek.
  • And finally I need to make a change in goal...
First idea: Foster/Ramsey/Joselu :arrow: De Gea/Richarlison/Calvert-Lewin, -8. Leaves £1.1 in the bank.
Second idea: Elliot/Fernández/Ramsey :arrow: Adrián/Otamendi/Richarlison, -8. Leaves £0.6 in the bank.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Just to note in advance... this won't be gratuitous advice, Joccki asked me for a RMT. :)

You are too stretched for cash to invest much in the GKs so I'd probably just do Elliot :arrow: Gomes now with a view to Foster :arrow: Adrian later (GW22). That pair (Gomes/Adrian) would carry you through nicely all the way to DGW time and the 2nd wildcard. It costs £0.4m now and probably claws back £0.1m later. I'd do it that way round in order to take the profit on Elliot before it melts away.

After that I think a decision needs making in terms of structure before looking at players because that must define what you spend in the midfield. I see two structures that appear feasible from where you are:

1. A hybrid 4-5-1/4-4-2. This would have DCL as 2nd striker and Young as 5th midfielder, playing the best each week (and occasionally both in a 3-5-2);
  2. A more classic 3-5-2.
If the hybrid 4-5-1/4-4-2 then 2 of the transfers are Joselu, Fabregas :arrow: DCL, Young. With the GKs done as above, that leaves £3.4m available to invest in replacing Ramsey, Fernandez and Mbemba. They could become Duffy, Maguire and Özil. A defence of Maguire, Duffy, Tarkowski, Kolasinac, Alonso would work as a 4-from-5 rotation with occasional help from Young/DCL and I think that would be exact money actually. Meaning this week's transfers would be Elliot, Ramsey, Fabregas :arrow: Gomes, Özil, Young with the other moves to be staged in subsequently, probably starting with Mbemba :arrow: Duffy next week.

There are other work-arounds with this structure, for example to take DDG in goals (for Foster) and Pogba instead of Özil, meaning keeping Fabregas in the meantime. But I think having an Arsenal attacker should work out well; there is very little rotation risk with Özil and that's already a big plus.

I won't calculate the 3-5-2 option because I think the hybrid is better myself. I wouldn't be doubling on Hazard and Morata and I think you probably have the right one. I also wouldn't be chasing Richarlison now, his performance has dropped off and I suspect he may get rested before too long. Hope that helps a bit anyway.

SirMattBugsby
Dumbledore
FS Record: TCed Kun for that Newcastle game. Nothing since..

Post by SirMattBugsby »

Forget the GKs man. I myself have Foster and Elliot (we talked about Pickford in STC thread) but first priority in December is eleven players. No need to take hits imo, especially for active players.

Ramsey to Richarlison. I'm doing the same (maybe Mustafi to Smalling if not playing).

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:22 After that I think a decision needs making in terms of structure before looking at players because that must define what you spend in the midfield. I see two structures that appear feasible from where you are:

1. A hybrid 4-5-1/4-4-2. This would have DCL as 2nd striker and Young as 5th midfielder, playing the best each week (and occasionally both in a 3-5-2);
  2. A more classic 3-5-2.

I definitely agree re structure. That was the intention all the way.

Ruth_NZ wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:22 If the hybrid 4-5-1/4-4-2 then 2 of the transfers are Joselu, Fabregas :arrow: DCL, Young. With the GKs done as above, that leaves £3.4m available to invest in replacing Ramsey, Fernandez and Mbemba. They could become Duffy, Maguire and Özil. A defence of Maguire, Duffy, Tarkowski, Kolasinac, Alonso would work as a 4-from-5 rotation with occasional help from Young/DCL and I think that would be exact money actually.

Hmm. We obviously agree on which players need to go looking at the hybrid 4-5-1/4-4-2. To clear it up (excluding goalkeepers): Fernández, Mbemba, Fàbregas, Ramsey and Joselu. I just had a look at the possibility to keep Joselu all the way up to GW22 (mainly benching him, of course) with a view of switching him to either Austin or Chicharito. Means I need to get five playing midfielders to be able to bench both him and Quaner (4-5-1, duh). It's actually really seducing me. :shock: If I go that way, I will have to decide if

1. I want to take a big hit (-8), change a goalie, Fernández or Fàbregas and Ramsey and play Joselu.
2. Or take a huge hit (-12), change a goalie, Fernández, Fàbregas and Ramsey and get a playable 4-5-1 on the field immediately.

Ruth_NZ wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:22 Meaning this week's transfers would be Elliot, Ramsey, Fabregas :arrow: Gomes, Özil, Young with the other moves to be staged in subsequently, probably starting with Mbemba :arrow: Duffy next week.

These transfers suggest that Joselu needs to be played this midweek, right?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Joccki_10 wrote:We obviously agree on which players need to go looking at the hybrid 4-5-1/4-4-2. To clear it up (excluding goalkeepers): Fernández, Mbemba, Fàbregas, Ramsey and Joselu. I just had a look at the possibility to keep Joselu all the way up to GW22 (mainly benching him, of course) with a view of switching him to either Austin or Chicharito. Means I need to get five playing midfielders to be able to bench both him and Quaner (4-5-1, duh). It's actually really seducing me. :shock:
Yeah I actually considered the thing with holding Joselu but thought you were dead set on getting rid? But the fact is he's only using £0.3m more of budget than DCL would so structurally it's workable. And it saves a FT. And 3 of the 5 fixtures including this week are perfectly playable for him. Other than that, yes we agree on players out.
Joccki_10 wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote: Meaning this week's transfers would be Elliot, Ramsey, Fabregas :arrow: Gomes, Özil, Young with the other moves to be staged in subsequently, probably starting with Mbemba :arrow: Duffy next week.
These transfers suggest that Joselu needs to be played this midweek, right?
Yes. EVE is perfectly playable for Joselu I think.
Joccki_10 wrote:
Ruth_NZ wrote: If the hybrid 4-5-1/4-4-2 then 2 of the transfers are Joselu, Fabregas :arrow: DCL, Young. With the GKs done as above, that leaves £3.4m available to invest in replacing Ramsey, Fernandez and Mbemba. They could become Duffy, Maguire and Özil. A defence of Maguire, Duffy, Tarkowski, Kolasinac, Alonso would work as a 4-from-5 rotation with occasional help from Young/DCL and I think that would be exact money actually.
Hmm. If I go that way, I will have to decide if:

1. I want to take a big hit (-8), change a goalie, Fernández or Fàbregas and Ramsey and play Joselu.
2. Or take a huge hit (-12), change a goalie, Fernández, Fàbregas and Ramsey and get a playable 4-5-1 on the field immediately.
I think my idea of Elliot, Fabregas, Ramsey :arrow: Gomes, Özil, Young is a better -8 this week. That enables you to put a good 3-5-2 out and should leave £0.9m banked to upgrade Mbemba and Fernandez in subsequent weeks, starting with Mbemba :arrow: Duffy/Dunk next week. I don't think shifting Fernandez is an immediate priority, his next fixtures after this week are useful and he may be able to help you in the short-term. More than Mbemba will, anyway.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker

Post by Joccki_10 »

Fernández :arrow: Otamendi
Ramsey :arrow: Lingard (-4)
Elliot :arrow: Adrián (-4)

Done, which gives me the following team for GW17:

Adrián
Alonso, Kolasinac, Otamendi, Tarkowski
Hazard, Salah, Sterling, Lingard
Kane (C), Joselu

Foster, Fàbregas, Mbemba, Quaner

Joselu ahead of Fàbregas because I think there's a big chance the Spaniard gets a rest tonight.
I'm a bit worried about a possible mauling at Anfield involving both Coutinho and Firmino, though I was never going to bring one of them in.

Hopefully Richarlison will get his rest tonight. If he does, I will almost certainly bring him in for Fàbregas before the weekend. Along with Fàb, Mbemba is the one I need to get rid of. I'm looking at a cheeky Mbemba :arrow: Chilwell, as the latter rotates almost perfectly with a Burnley defender - Tarkowski in my case. Seems like he's a Puel favorite and may even play at LM from time to time.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”