To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Let's catch up with Ville

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Thalweg
Kevin and Perry

Re: Let's catch up with Ville

Post by Thalweg »

I wonder how Ville is coping with the wealth of information now available, Xg90 etc. I have been playing the game since 2003 and the landscape has changed dramatically in terms of the information freely available. It would certainly be very tough to do well while completely ignoring it and going with eye test only.

His early record indicates he has incredible player judgement via eye test. Allied with inhuman patience it made him an fpl legend.

ricardo68
FISOhead

Post by ricardo68 »

I think he uses his great intuition coupled with stats to back it up. One of the all time greats!

SneakyOne
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Highest TFF finish 38th overall 2002 /03 won manager of the week twice. Regular top 1000. FPL Nothing great once top 10,000 (still learning!) Recently finished 75th in TFF World Cup with only one entry, was leading going into the knockouts!

Post by SneakyOne »

Blaze wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 21:22
AllesErobert wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 08:39
MGPT wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 06:46 VR is now a full-blown casual!
Hardly. Wait for the team selections ahead of GW4, Walcott will be in 90% veteran teams.
How will we know this?
Using our optimiser on Teamfill, we have an option where the optimum veteran team is calculated using 50 of the most highly regarded players, including Ville of course. The optimiser targets the players that are picked the most in those teams and produces a squad, its based purely on picks, not points.

Walcott was in there, with the general template being a very cheap bench - Hamer, Stephens, Peltier, kamara. It will be interesting to see the changes throughout the season.

ricardo68
FISOhead

Post by ricardo68 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyPL/comm ... gers_made/

A quite good resource. Apologies if it has been mentioned already

jeffmcgow
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - FISO Mirror League 1st 2015-16 | Sun - Cheap as Chips Conference 1st 2014-15 & 2015-16

Post by jeffmcgow »

Stemania wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 13:29 Great article on the HoF/successful managers here by TopMarx:

https://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/ ... -managers/

And some comments from Kenneth Tang (one of the FPL legends) in the comments section below it. :D
Thanks for highlighting this article, Stemania, especially for pointing us in the direction of the comments section.

I don't often delve into the comments section on FFS (there's usually too much "noise" e.g. people asking "good to go?" or X-> Y?) but there are some real gems hidden here.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Yep. TopMarx, TheRumourMiIl, and RMT'S Professor (ChrisA to us, the HoF & RMT tool creator) are all on FISO too and made excellent comments (in addition to TopMarx actually writing the article, obviously) - so maybe we can claim it. :lol: :P

AllesErobert
Wideboy

Post by AllesErobert »

Ronka made a transfer and spent all his money itb. Any idea how much that was and which change it could have been?

AllesErobert
Wideboy

Post by AllesErobert »

So it was 1.0. My money is on Mane > Hazard then

ahmednada
Kevin and Perry

Post by ahmednada »

What a move !!! , ditching Mane instead of Salah and losing that much value , i'm very excited now to see the outcome

firebug
Wideboy

Post by firebug »

So it has to be Mane to Hazard, because his team value has dropped?

previous 101.5, 1.0 ITB
current 102.2, 0.0 ITB

sagorjanski
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: No. 444, FPL 14/15

Post by sagorjanski »

firebug wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 23:36 So it has to be Mane to Hazard, because his team value has dropped?

previous 101.5, 1.0 ITB
current 102.2, 0.0 ITB
Yes.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

ahmednada wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 22:46 What a move !!! , ditching Mane instead of Salah and losing that much value , i'm very excited now to see the outcome
So with a midfield containing Fraser (probably won't play), Walcott (might play), and Mkhitaryan (who the hell knows), all of whom would be fairly sensible transfers out, he has instead opted to replace one of the two midfielders in his squad who are certain to play.

This strikes me as a very un-Ville-like move.

baganboy
Comfortably Dumb(ledore)
FS Record: 2011/12 - 212. 2019/20 - 222.
Altogether 6 top 10Ks. 8 top 20Ks. 9 top 50Ks.

Post by baganboy »

On TopMarx's article, one piece of commentary struck me.

https://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/ ... -managers/
It follows the logic proposed by Nick (aka Triggerlips) amongst others, that bad seasons should be ignored because to be the best you need to take risks.
While the definition of 'being successful' varies, last season I tracked a lot of players, perhaps the most interesting two among them being Anders Lium (#28 in HOF, rank 52 last season) and Simon Rutherford (#33 on HOF, rank 58 last season). Ideally, we can say that both of them were successful, yes?
Simon's was the most radically different in format (Vardy + Firmino as strikers. No Kane No Aguero) - and Anders' was the opposite. He caught onto template early, and never veered from template until alternate templates appeared. So much so that I saved him on my bookmarks as Anders Template - risk-averse.
I am tracking both of them this season as well - they are playing a similar strategy this season as last, and both are doing well.

So I do not believe that there is a single way (risky / safe) to be really, really successful at FPL either.

Edit: Spiderm4tt's winning season, of what I remember of it, was characterized by a series of sensible decisions. Not overtly risky, but neither very defensive and template. A middle ground if I may. In fact, the lingering feeling after I read his very detailed writeup about his winning season right here at FISO, was that he plays the same way as I do, only better.

(PS: Like everyone else who has every played FPL, I too think that I am very level-headed and play the middle ground :D :D :D )

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

Pirlo's Beard wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 00:44
ahmednada wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 22:46 What a move !!! , ditching Mane instead of Salah and losing that much value , i'm very excited now to see the outcome
So with a midfield containing Fraser (probably won't play), Walcott (might play), and Mkhitaryan (who the hell knows), all of whom would be fairly sensible transfers out, he has instead opted to replace one of the two midfielders in his squad who are certain to play.

This strikes me as a very un-Ville-like move.
Actually I’d say it IS a Ville like move

Mane to Hazard is sound tactical move based on underlying stats and fixtures. If he doesn’t need to sell anyone else to afford it then why do so. He’s clearly decided Fraser is a good long term pick he wants to keep, while Walcott has a good chance to play. Taking a ‘wait and see’ approach on Mkhi is sensible enough given Arsenal’s outstanding run of fixtures.

[Of course, Ville also knows he can rely on good luck from his bench players, if all else fails. GW1 he had AWB off the bench for a clean sheet, assist and 3 bonus. When AWB came off my bench in GW2 he got sent off and scored -2 :roll: ]

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Ville always wants to get on board the potential season-keeper asap. I don't see the ridiculous Mane conversion rate making him a season-keeper but Hazard has shown he can be, especially with Chelsea having no C.League. It's certainly not safe removing Mane with 40% ownership, so he's not taking an easy option but perhaps he's considering the number of managers in the top10k who have Hazard for Cardiff home. He doesn't have Pedro either.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Fraser is the one though. What's that, 19points for him from having a potential hamstring injury. A few people like myself, were on a WC, and didn't get him in!! lol, this game.

Archy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maybe all is not lost after all

Post by Archy »

Sutter Kane wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 16:42 Fraser is the one though. What's that, 19points for him from having a potential hamstring injury. A few people like myself, were on a WC, and didn't get him in!! lol, this game.
Yeah that’s a bloody joke. Ruth and I were both going to bring Fraser in this week but the Hamstring scare scuppered that. How frustrating it is to see Fraser get a massive haul which would have been ours if only we knew he was fit.

Ps guessing Ville hits the jackpot again, not just on Fraser but with another (9 point) haul from AWB from the bench?

AllesErobert
Wideboy

Post by AllesErobert »

Has Mikhi first sub, so perhaps no haul off the bench...but

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

AllesErobert wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 18:40 Has Mikhi first sub, so perhaps no haul off the bench...but
Walcott or ings wouldn't be playing

AllesErobert
Wideboy

Post by AllesErobert »

Transfer done, either Mikhy to Rich or Maddy imo, but pure guess work on my part

ahmednada
Kevin and Perry

Post by ahmednada »

Mikhy to Maddison

fred1266
Dumbledore
FS Record: EFCL Fantasy League & Jurassic League Winner 11/12, EFCL Fantasy League Winner 13/14. EFCL, FISO 5AS The Kangals, Jurassic League, 3DM PRINTERS TT & Trini Gunners Winner 14/15

Post by fred1266 »

ahmednada wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 03:15 Mikhy to Maddison
think it Rich cause i think his TV would have risen by 0.1

AllesErobert
Wideboy

Post by AllesErobert »

it's maddison, TV not properly updated, must go to transfer history to see it has risen

ricardo68
FISOhead

Post by ricardo68 »

Quite liking Ville's team now. Good keeper, solid defence and the Salah, Aguerro, Hazard trinity for great captaincy options. Can see him holding his trade over this week

fred1266
Dumbledore

Post by fred1266 »

curious what the will do with mendy

lubo__
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 50000

Post by lubo__ »

fred1266 wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 12:55 curious what the will do with mendy
I recкon he is waiting for an update about Mendy's injury and if it's a long term one he will swap him for Newcastle defender

Jarngard
Kevin and Perry

Post by Jarngard »

No transfer yet? So he's keeping Mendy and Walcott?

beyerdramatic
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Rank 167,062

Post by beyerdramatic »

1 transfer made without team value changed, so it's likely Mendy to Trippier.

Edit: Confirmed. Mendy to Trippier.

AllesErobert
Wideboy

Post by AllesErobert »

Really interested to see how Ville handles 'Kane situation' this week. Only way he could get him in is -4 and I guess he won't do it.

zomri
Wideboy

Post by zomri »

Isn't he known to always cover main captain options?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”