To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Paw's for thought

A forum for comment and discussion on Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Teams. Post your Rate My Team (RMT) messages here!
Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Re: Paw's for thought

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Game Week 1
Not a whole lot to add to the post above.
85 points and OR a little under 600k is perfectly respectable if unspectacular. With a team picked to not lose it in GW1 that was what I expected.
Alisson’s Injury is a worry with two Liverpool defenders. Southampton next
City saw Liverpool’s 4 & raised them to 5 with a clean sheet. I do hope that it’s another season like last year - from a footballing perspective irrespective of the FPL implications
Some of the £6-8m players we all had scored points, some didn’t. Rationally it is what one should expect from that bracket... but we tell ourselves that ‘if only I’d picked <insert player><bring him in for a hit chasing points last week>. Despite concerns about one or two I plan to hold fire

Possibly greater insight in coming weeks. Being on holiday I haven’t been watching the games which was another reason for the solid, low risk initial squad.

Oh, and Wednesday are top of the league. Years since I could write that and I want the season to end now. Please

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Agreed. QPR in playoffs. Dreamland!

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Game Week 2 Review 37 pts, OR 1.1m
I spent all of this game week driving up through France, catching updates whenever the internet connection allowed. Does my lack of time watching football help me accept a mediocre game week? I suppose that it should, it was pretty underwhelming though. Martial was the highlight. King and Sterling were the only others to contribute, and as planned King has now left my team!

Liverpool: I caught the MNF analysis last night and they focused on the high line that has been mentioned on here a number of times. Carragher had spoken to people at the club who confirmed that there had been no change in approach; and that a bit of time focusing on this in training might be all that is required.
Alisson being out for a few weeks remains an issue. Adrian conceded a howler but let’s remember that the team is still top of the league. Anyway, I have joined the masses in reducing my Liverpool defensive exposure for a while, freeing up cash in the process.

Transfers
King :arrow: Kane
TAA :arrow: Lundstrum
Perez :arrow: Cantwell (-4)
Despite starting the GW3 transfer thread with a comment about bringing in Pukki, I have instead focussed on Newcastle’s defensive weaknesses and gone for Kane. As a result I now have all three of the S/S/K premiums. This is a temporary situation. Having not watched enough football I don’t feel ready to wildcard this week and some of the more popular moves would have required multiple switches.
Taking out TAA is discussed above. I imagine that he’ll be back when their defence settles down. For now I needed the cash, and don’t expect a clean sheet against Arsenal. Getting Lundstrum in feels a bit like chasing last week’s points but whilst he’s in the starting 11 (something to continue to review) and at only £4m, he’s a good enabler.
As has been mentioned elsewhere, Cantwell also looks to be a good way in to covering Pukki through his assist potential; and at £4.5m for an attacking midfielder he looks to be a better use of the M4 slot than Perez who has been underwhelming.

On my radar:
Defence: Zinchenko and Zouma are both concerns. Despite having just brought in a £4m defender I remain committed to a heavyweight defence. Everton and Man U provide the most obvious candidates at the mo’, I need to give more thought to who would come in to replace them though.
City: Zinchenko out and KDB in. As I am maxed out on City I’d need to make multiple changes to achieve this. KDB would likely be for Salah in a couple of weeks time, getting me back to 2 premiums. There was no way I could achieve this easily this week though (selling Zin would not have free up enough cash).
Mid-priced attack: I sold King and kept Jota. It was a toss up, and I can see Pukki coming in if Jota doesn’t start to contribute soon. He deserves a bit more time though.

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 07:40 Game Week 2 Review 37 pts, OR 1.1m
I spent all of this game week driving up through France, catching updates whenever the internet connection allowed. Does my lack of time watching football help me accept a mediocre game week? I suppose that it should, it was pretty underwhelming though. Martial was the highlight. King and Sterling were the only others to contribute, and as planned King has now left my team!

Liverpool: I caught the MNF analysis last night and they focused on the high line that has been mentioned on here a number of times. Carragher had spoken to people at the club who confirmed that there had been no change in approach; and that a bit of time focusing on this in training might be all that is required.
Alisson being out for a few weeks remains an issue. Adrian conceded a howler but let’s remember that the team is still top of the league. Anyway, I have joined the masses in reducing my Liverpool defensive exposure for a while, freeing up cash in the process.

Transfers
King :arrow: Kane
TAA :arrow: Lundstrum
Perez :arrow: Cantwell (-4)
Despite starting the GW3 transfer thread with a comment about bringing in Pukki, I have instead focussed on Newcastle’s defensive weaknesses and gone for Kane. As a result I now have all three of the S/S/K premiums. This is a temporary situation. Having not watched enough football I don’t feel ready to wildcard this week and some of the more popular moves would have required multiple switches.
Taking out TAA is discussed above. I imagine that he’ll be back when their defence settles down. For now I needed the cash, and don’t expect a clean sheet against Arsenal. Getting Lundstrum in feels a bit like chasing last week’s points but whilst he’s in the starting 11 (something to continue to review) and at only £4m, he’s a good enabler.
As has been mentioned elsewhere, Cantwell also looks to be a good way in to covering Pukki through his assist potential; and at £4.5m for an attacking midfielder he looks to be a better use of the M4 slot than Perez who has been underwhelming.

On my radar:
Defence: Zinchenko and Zouma are both concerns. Despite having just brought in a £4m defender I remain committed to a heavyweight defence. Everton and Man U provide the most obvious candidates at the mo’, I need to give more thought to who would come in to replace them though.
City: Zinchenko out and KDB in. As I am maxed out on City I’d need to make multiple changes to achieve this. KDB would likely be for Salah in a couple of weeks time, getting me back to 2 premiums. There was no way I could achieve this easily this week though (selling Zin would not have free up enough cash).
Mid-priced attack: I sold King and kept Jota. It was a toss up, and I can see Pukki coming in if Jota doesn’t start to contribute soon. He deserves a bit more time though.
Martial... ? I watched the game. He was better than most other ManU on the pitch, but that is not saying much.
I really don't understand the fascination with him... and I want to.

ManU defence... the only likely candidate here is Shaw. He was very involved in most attacks. But his chances of getting a CS look slim.
Is he comparable to Zinchenko or Coleman?
Isn't it just wishful thinking from everyon, even ManU haters, to see United making a small comeback?...

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

All I mean is that points-wise Martial was the highlight. Two goals in two games playing in the No.9 role as an OOP midfielder. Whether or not he excelled, there’s read across to the chat about Kane only having a handful of touches and getting two last week. Plus the alternatives were Fraser and Barkley, so, yes, Martial has been a highlight.
I do take the wider point about MU though; and that’s part of the reason for keeping my wildcard instincts in check. I am not yet convinced.
Zinchenko - would happily keep in most situations. I have Sterling and Laporte already so Zin is the most obvious fall guy to get in KDB. Plus I read that, despite being flagged on some sites, he should be fine for this weekend so I should still have x3 Citizens.

I see that you’re wildcarding at the moment. For the reasons above my preference was for the team that included Martial. However I’d downgrade Pickford and also therefore be able to pick up an Ings/similar.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

I thought Man U looked very assured in the first half. Wolves were struggling to get possession. In the second half that changed a bit, but overall I was impressed with MU defensively and they looked dangerous coming forward at times. Wolves are a well organised and stable defence, so knocking 4 or 5 past them seemed unlikely.

Martial looks far more flowing out wide, but you cannot argue with a CF at a top 6 side who like to attack, and he has 2 goals in 2 games. As I said I think he looks a little bit of a fish out of water, but 2 goals against likely top 8 teams is pretty impressive.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I thought MU were more impressive than vs Chelsea

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

blahblah wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 13:20 I thought MU were more impressive than vs Chelsea
completely agree. Until the second half when Wolves caused more problems for them, I thought MU looked really good.

Although not sure about Tom Daley on the wing...

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

raoul wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 13:44
blahblah wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 13:20 I thought MU were more impressive than vs Chelsea
completely agree. Until the second half when Wolves caused more problems for them, I thought MU looked really good.

Although not sure about Tom Daley on the wing...
I need to catch up on some matches to be sure about who to bring in - 1. Shaw, 2. AWB or 3. Maguire (or also 1. Someone from Everton)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Neither of the teams Everton have played have scored (Brighton and SHU were the other played), so are the CS's down to Everton or who they played?

Obviously 2 matches isn't much, but it is all we have to go on with supposition, and they have similar opponents lined up....

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

GW3 Review Pts 49(-4); GW 2.4M; OR 1.35M
Another so-so game week. What has been great though is that I got to watch a lot of football this weekend. After being on holiday for the first two game weeks and not seeing any games at all, I’ve now gone and bigger up my Achilles. Rest, ice and elevation are the doctor’s instructions. Well, what else was I to do!

Anyway, the Kane(C) transfer for a hit didn’t work out well.
I should have gone Pukki instead
Zouma was a bad pick
Robertson might drop
Etc, etc
Lots of minor niggly errors to correct so late yesterday evening I hit the wildcard trigger.
A few options to follow over the coming days...

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

The ‘No Salah’ Option
757F00FE-AC87-4694-A6AA-30866AFE4CE3.jpeg
Strong defence
GK cover (for £0.1m extra Adrian would be preferable)
Haller, Martial and Mount all in place, alongside Sterling, KDB, Pukki and Barnes
Cantwell can rotate in
Bit of cash left in the kitty for a rainy day

Bit of a moneyball approach, the weakness being that one premium and spread out funds makes it difficult to get in any other of Salah, Kane, Kün, Auba, etc. if they become necessary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Post by Aldershot Rejects »

It's amazing the difference no Salah makes. It's a very strong squad but it almost feels like you were struggling to spend the extra money a bit. Gives you a very strong bench - almost into BB territory. Not sure about Hart at 4.4, wouldn't it be better spending the extra 0.1m to get a playing GK in. As you say, you do now luck flexibility to get a another player over 9m in if you decide to go that way.

Having said that if I go without Salah, I will probably end up in a very similar place.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

I need to review Sutter Kane’s drafts as I think he commented about not being able to spend all the available cash as well

Did I see that you’re wildcarding at the moment, AR? Be good to compare notes

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

Love your proposed front three... with such a strike force not having Aguero is easily bearable.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Ironfist wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 14:40 Love your proposed front three... with such a strike force not having Aguero is easily bearable.
With Sterling and KdB I have to trust that they will have an involvement in the majority of chances. Aguero did look good though.

Switching Barnes to Firmino would be quite easy. Would he improve the team at all?

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore
FS Record: 5th Metro (2010-11); 146 - Sky (2015-16); 218 - Sky (2014-15); 386 - Sky (2020-21); 636 - FPL (2017-18); last 16 Sky Cup (2018-19)

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 14:38 I need to review Sutter Kane’s drafts as I think he commented about not being able to spend all the available cash as well

Did I see that you’re wildcarding at the moment, AR? Be good to compare notes
Yes - I think the Salah decision is key. I started with Salah as my only premium (alongside KDB) and switched to Sterling this week (which was kind or pre-planned). For the up-coming fixtures I'm happy to perma-captain Sterling with KDB as back-up. On that basis, I am tempted to go without Salah - but with decent fixtures he might just be worth a place in the side until GW8 when the fixtures turn tough. I'm committed to keeping KDB whose price is about 1m too low in my opinion and looks like he is in 200+ pt form at the moment.

I'm looking at 3 'premium' defenders plus a Dunk/Soyuncu rotation. Currently, I'm on TAA/Laporte/Digne but apart from TAA I'm not sure about the rest. Is Laporte £1m better than Zinchenko? Is Digne £0.5m better than Coleman or Mina. Having said that Gbamin is out long term which might affect their defensive strength. Is Matip actually an option for a Liverpool double-up?

My questions re midfield/attack pretty much echo the discussion on STC.

If I do go without Salah, I may well stick with Vardy who I have had since the beginning, although his underlying stats look surprisingly under-whelming. This gives me an excuse to go 4-3-3 which is probably my preferred option at this point.

Sorry that's a bit random, but I guess it is where I am at - an unplanned WC has left me with lots of unanswered questions.

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

Laporte will be 1mn better than Zinc imo. It's just a matter of when. Could be straight after international break that Mendy is let loose.

I've been toying with a Sterling/Aguero/KDB attack for the next 2 games then reassess. Jesus is out with a hammy for a while and may not even be back for GW5. Aguero holds a lot of cash that can be used in many useful ways. Barnes' fixtures are very good at that point (until GW15) so Aguero to Barnes at gw6 is an option. Of course it's planning transfers and going without a City defender for a few weeks. Imagine if they score 4 or 5 against Brighton at home though...I'll probably bottle this idea.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

I’m not sure who I’d have in defence if I had x3 City up front. Unless someone can provide me with a reason for Zinchenko it’ll be Laporte.

I’m popping in & out of FPL Stats and Robertson is close to a price drop. I hope he does then I’ll bring him back in at £6.9m!

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore

Personally, I think ZInchenko will match Laporte this season in terms of ppg. I know it is only 3 games in but so far Zinchenko is ahead on expected attacking points and BPS.
Apparently, if he'd been classified as a defender last season he would have scored at 5.7 ppg which is about 10% higher than Laporte.

The only question is how many games he will miss. Given Mendy's fitness history, I am going to punt with Zinchenko and use the £1m elsewhere. If he starts missing regularly, I will have to reassess.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Therein lies the rub. When on the pitch Zinchenko is a great pick
The draft where I need the extra £1m is the Mo Salah, where every penny counts and there are more baseline players permanently sitting on my bench
The one with cash to throw around and a strong bench is the No-Salah, where I have the strength in depth to ride with a benching or two. But could in any case afford Laporte!

Pulpy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Pulpy »

I brought Zinchenko in last week when wildcarding but with news coming out this week that Mendy is back in training I'm not sure I'd risk it now. Laporte is the safest but is priced as such. If Mendy himself can stay fit he could prove the best pick even with a significant rotation threat simply because of his greater attacking threat and end product.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Pulpy wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 11:47 I brought Zinchenko in last week when wildcarding but with news coming out this week that Mendy is back in training I'm not sure I'd risk it now. Laporte is the safest but is priced as such. If Mendy himself can stay fit he could prove the best pick even with a significant rotation threat simply because of his greater attacking threat and end product.
That’s very helpful food for thought. Thank you

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

The No-Salah Mk.II
279EFCF9-4892-44A2-A927-41DC54143194.jpeg
TAA is a lock. I’d prefer a different 3rd Liverpool player, I had £0.5m spare though.
That could, for example, turn Digne into VVD
Whatcha think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 14:08 The No-Salah Mk.II
TAA is a lock. I’d prefer a different 3rd Liverpool player, I had £0.5m spare though.
Whatcha think?
I think I would save the £0.5m for a rainy day.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Aldershot Rejects wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 14:43
Smurphy's Paw wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 14:08 The No-Salah Mk.II
Whatcha think?
I think I would save the £0.5m for a rainy day.
That’s positive feedback! Does that mean you approve of the rest?

The alternative I was considering is this one:
638710B5-B93D-4234-A70F-441609BBFE95.jpeg
I do think TAA is the pick as a single like-for-like. As part of a three-way comparison though I am unsure...

1. Alexander-Arnold, Lundstrum, Haller
2. Robertson, Van Dijk, Barnes

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore

Of those two final options, I would probably go with (2) as being 'safer.'

My main query with both teams would be Firmino. I'm not sure he justifies his price over a period of games very often, great player though he is (although I can understand why you have someone at that price point). In the alternative team, Haller instead of Firmino enables you to bring in Laporte (if you prefer him) and TAA.

Interesting that you are starting Cantwell over Mount in team 2. I'm still not convinced by having two Norwich attackers (which is why he is on my bench), plus if you are not going to play Mount at home to Sheffield Utd, when are you going to play him?

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Mount and Martial are only where they are because of injury doubts. If fit, they’ll be in.

The No-Salah-No-Firmino draft is also on file and, yes, it includes Barnes, Haller, Laporte and the pick of the Liverpool defence. If I go this way I’ll be hiding behind the sofa every time Salah takes to the pitch. Firmino is mainly in there for my blood pressure!
Kelly could be Lundstrum, both with about £0.5m in the bank; or a Söyüncü-type. I think I’d prefer the cash
Barnes might be Abraham initially as Liverpool away isn’t the best fixture
B9A0DE95-9FD1-4296-8F6E-BFF78E98B8E0.jpeg

Aldershot Rejects
Dumbledore

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 15:57 Mount and Martial are only where they are because of injury doubts. If fit, they’ll be in.

The No-Salah-No-Firmino draft is also on file and, yes, it includes Barnes, Haller, Laporte and the pick of the Liverpool defence. If I go this way I’ll be hiding behind the sofa every time Salah takes to the pitch. Firmino is mainly in there for my blood pressure!
Kelly could be Lundstrum, both with about £0.5m in the bank; or a Söyüncü-type. I think I’d prefer the cash
Have you tried a Mane draft or is that too similar to having Salah in your team? :lol: :lol:
Are you sure you want to wildcard with 2 injury doubts in your team even if they are both good picks and there is an international break coming up?

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

Aldershot Rejects wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 16:44
Smurphy's Paw wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 15:57 Mount and Martial are only where they are because of injury doubts. If fit, they’ll be in.

Have you tried a Mane draft or is that too similar to having Salah in your team? :lol: :lol:
Are you sure you want to wildcard with 2 injury doubts in your team even if they are both good picks and there is an international break coming up?
That kind of solves the injury doubt problem, doesn't it?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Team Diaries & RMTs”