To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Friday afternoon....and we've been disbanded

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
tommymooney
FISO Knight

Friday afternoon....and we've been disbanded

Post by tommymooney »

My organisation in the public sector will be disbanded tomorrow, can't say what or who as embargoed until 6am tomorrow, and want my redundancy.

What a friday afternoon, and on the eve of the footie season as well :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks Tory voters :wink:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Re: Friday afternoon....and we've been disbanded

Post by Knulpuk »

och - that's bad news :cry:

Hope something turns up soon.

Don't blame me I voted Lib Dem - oh - hold on a minute :evil:

eagle224
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Veteran

Post by eagle224 »

If it's the Audit Commission then it's public knowledge on the BBC news already - link

There's never a good time to lose your job, so I hope you find a new one quickly.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

and MoD.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

eagle224 wrote:If it's the Audit Commission then it's public knowledge on the BBC news already - link

There's never a good time to lose your job, so I hope you find a new one quickly.
cheers, yes, its been leaked - probably by a colleague as the press release has already hit FT.com.

Not sure if I'm going in 5 weeks or two years, but with a baby on the way timings poor!!

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

Knulpuk wrote:och - that's bad news :cry:

Hope something turns up soon.

Don't blame me I voted Lib Dem - oh - hold on a minute :evil:
Ditto :twisted:

Jobs are so last Century mate, join the party !

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Spencer4 wrote: join the party !
But which? :?

Jim Royle
Grumpy....My Arse!

Post by Jim Royle »

Thats pants mate, hope you get something new quick.

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Post by Doogal »

Very sorry to hear that, tommy. On the slightly brighter side, auditors will always be needed and if you have those skills, I'd guess there's a fair hope of a decent job in the private sector. Probably better to be one of the early groups to get the bad news that is coming, which at least gives you a chance to get job-seeking and steal a march on the hundreds of thousands that are going to follow you over the next year or so. :cry: I fear it's going to get much worse - we ain't seen nothing yet. :cry:

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Thing is I'm not actually an auditor, I'm a researcher - and Pickles has explicitly said research is going, not to be replaced!! :cry: :cry:

Perhaps I'll start a fantasy championship football game :wink:

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Post by Doogal »

Hmmm, that's more problematic. Is there no chance of a sideways move into research in a government department? Though I suppose they are chopping research there too - it's always likely to be one of the first things to go, as policy-makers and politicians don't like listening to evidence anyway and won't cry any tears over not having it (until further down the line they realise how important it is). I suppose the alternatives for you may be consultancy firms and universities?

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Consultancy is cutting back as well - they used to rely on juicy government contracts.

Options are something new - or possibly academic stuff (but you normally need a MA and PhD - and I don't have) or charity sector (but also subject to cuts because of government funding).

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Sorry to hear that.

These public sector cuts are going to drive the UK back to the dark ages

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Doogal wrote:................ politicians don't like listening to evidence anyway and won't cry any tears over not having it (until further down the line they realise how important it is)
Evidence is important to politicians sometimes, other times its helpful not to have it so you can hide things.

With the public sector cuts they dont want anyone to know quite how bad our services will become. Its all part of the strategy.

Hope you qualify for decent redundancy and get yourself up and running again soon.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Groomyd wrote: Hope you qualify for decent redundancy and get yourself up and running again soon.
cheers, if I can swing it for another year would have had 5 years service and a reasonably comfortable pay out, as it is it will still be 'alright'!

pottster
Dumbledore
FS Record: Regularly finishing in the top 100

Post by pottster »

That's pants, I'm expecting the same in month or so :roll:

Hope you move on to something soon.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Really sorry to hear that, Tommy.

We had four redundancies at our place recently and I only just survived (private sector, mind). If it's any consolation, the four that were made redundant have at least managed to find new jobs. Hopefully, lady luck will smile on you too.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

I keep telling Mrs TM what a great 'opportunity' to become a professional fantasy sports player this is.... :wink:

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

http://coalitionofresistance.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fight the power comrades! :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

tommymooney wrote:I keep telling Mrs TM what a great 'opportunity' to become a professional fantasy sports player this is.... :wink:

Try convincing her that you will combine it with being a gigolo?

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

blahblah wrote:
tommymooney wrote:I keep telling Mrs TM what a great 'opportunity' to become a professional fantasy sports player this is.... :wink:

fantasy gigolo?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

tommymooney wrote:
blahblah wrote:

fantasy gigolo?

Well you could try that, not too sure that there would be money in it :wink:

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

http://www.audit-commission.gov.uk/pres ... ckles.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fighting back against Eric Pickles!

However, we have been disappointed and dismayed at the misleading press reports in response to your announcement. I am sure that you share our concerns at these factual inaccuracies, and would not wish them to be repeated, so we are publishing the attached corrections, with this letter, on our website.

We noted with great interest your suggestion of an employee buy-out to form a mutual organisation and will pursue this avenue energetically.

Eugene Sullivan and I would be happy to meet you, or any of the Ministerial team, and officials, to discuss how your proposals are being taken forward, if that would be helpful.

The Commission was not reluctant to disclose its spending:

The Chairman wrote to the Secretary of State on 9 June offering to publish its own £500+ spending data from July. The Commission was asked by the Department of Communities and Local Government to delay publication to meet CLG's own timetable for disclosure, on 12 August 2010. The Commission has always favoured openness, accountability and disclosure, being among the first to publish the expenses of its Chairman and Chief Executive online.

The Commission informed its staff of the news by meeting, phone and e-mail last Friday:

The Secretary of State phoned the Chairman of the Audit Commission at 10.00 am on Friday 13 to tell him of the intended abolition. A letter confirming this followed at mid-day. The Audit Commission has over 2,000 staff nationwide, many working at client sites, so there was no opportunity to 'call everyone together' as has been claimed. Employees at our main bases, were given face-to-face briefings by senior managers, and many colleagues were contacted by phone. An all-staff e-mail was also sent to ensure every member of staff, wherever he or she was on Friday afternoon, had access to the news before hearing it on TV or radio.

The Commission's spending details do not show 'days at the races':

The Commission made payments to Newmarket racecourse for meeting and conference facilities. These were briefings for local government and NHS bodies on technical issues that might arise from the current programme of audits. The dates were not race days. Racecourse facilities often offer good value for meetings compared to hotels or conference centres. The £8,000 payment to Newmarket was for three events training 90 officers from local authorities and the NHS – around £67 a head. And not a horse in sight!

The Audit Commission did not hire a PR firm to 'lobby' against shadow ministers:

The Audit Commission did not pay a public affairs company to lobby shadow ministers. In January 2009, it asked Connect Public Affairs to undertake a specific piece of work called a Perceptions Audit and Influence Map, to help staff better understand the expectations of the forthcoming Comprehensive Area Assessment. This report cost £9,000 and was an assessment of views among opinion leaders across the political spectrum. It was used by communications staff and not seen by senior managers or members of the Commission Board. Neither Connect, nor any other business, has ever been asked by the Commission to 'lobby' anyone on its behalf.

The Commission has not forced councils to adopt fortnightly bin collections:

The Commission has only ever encouraged local authorities to review their waste management plans and rubbish collection arrangements. It is the Commission's duty to push for maximum value for money in local services. But it holds strictly to the view that it is for local elected members to decide their own policies, which includes the frequency of bin emptying.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

So after the news as far back as Friday 13 August - today is finally my last day of paid employment before I join the ranks of the public sector unemployed (no cheering at the back taxpayers alliance :wink: ).

The job market is pretty dead - so looking at spending a couple of months at least at home - at least being a new dad softens the blow.

Fantasy cricket will be getting my full attention :D

But, interestingly, anyone who heard PM on R4 today will note that despite Cameron's 'bonfire of the quangos' (TM) the AC may well be around until 2015 :shock:

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

So after the news as far back as Friday 13 August - today is finally my last day of paid employment before I join the ranks of the public sector unemployed (no cheering at the back taxpayers alliance :wink: ).

The job market is pretty dead - so looking at spending a couple of months at least at home - at least being a new dad softens the blow.

But, interestingly, anyone who heard PM on R4 today will note that despite Cameron's 'bonfire of the quangos' (TM) the AC may well be around until 2015 :shock:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Just sit back and enjoy the summer.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

tommymooney wrote:The job market is pretty dead - so looking at spending a couple of months at least at home - at least being a new dad softens the blow.
The best time IMO. Try and enjoy your time with baby & use it to not get stressed about job opportunities.

Emails round all mates, FISO, anyone else who knows you to see if you can get something. It's not what you know, but who you know.

Pasty
Dumbledore
FS Record: 32nd TFF 07/08 n Fiso 25s Champ

Post by Pasty »

shitty nappies will be getting my full attention
fyp :wink:

as said, enjoy your time. Bright spark like you wont be out of work long :D

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

tommymooney wrote:So after the news as far back as Friday 13 August - today is finally my last day of paid employment before I join the ranks of the public sector unemployed (no cheering at the back taxpayers alliance :wink: ).

good luck, enjoy the summer, especially the cricket.

PS I was getting married on Fri 13th, imagine my surprise when i woke up saturday morning and heard the radio, she the realised divorce would be in my interests :lol:

WilBert
Dumbledore

Re: Friday afternoon....add we've been disbanded

Post by WilBert »

Sorry to hear about your job tm. Precious times with your firstborn though. You will never get this time again make the most of it. Hope something turns up soon.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”