To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Appraisals

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Appraisals

Post by Tacalabala »

I've been in the job nearly 18 months now, and while I'm always on the lookout for something with better pay, trying to make the best of the one I'm in.

I am concerned by issues to do with appraisals.

1) Would you expect a company employing 100 workers to have a formal appraisal system, regardless of the an employee's department/function?

2) Is an employee within their rights to insist on appraisals?

3) If an employee were to show that KPI stats used to measure performance were fundamentally flawed, what should the employer do about this?

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Appraisals

Post by Dennisthemenace »

1. Yes (personally). However I work with many companies ranging in size from small to massive (1000+) and the range in how well the appraisal system works goes from 'not at all' to extremely good and built into culture.

2. Employees can't insist. However, if the company has an appraisal policy then convincing HR to put some pressure on your manager should be relatively straightforward.

3. There are number of things a company could do (and really do do). Here are the extremes:

a/Dismiss you for being a smart arse (99% chance)
b/Pat you on the back and give you a whopping great pay rise (1% chance)

In reality it will be somewhere in between. Typically somebody will listen to your concerns but then won't do anything about it with you feeling less comfortable about the whole system than you already are.

Tricky one and much depends on your approach and what your current relationship is like. Do you feel like you're a whinger/troublemaker/moaner or do you think your bosses will listen to you because they value your input. If it's the former then you may have to build some bridges and play the game for a while to get them into a place where they will take your concerns seriously. If it's the latter then go for it, they will probably listen to you.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Cheers DM

I've come in from a culture where the company went from shocking to actually respectable, so to now be here where the manager says it's pointless is a bit jarring. The manager tells me they aren't happy with performance, but don't seem to recognise that a big part of the problem might be that the team doesn't know what their targets are! All the while, other departments, so far as I can tell, have fairly good appraisal processes.

I have told them about the KPI issue but I've heard nothing back - it's an IT issue, but if they deny me a pay rise on the basis of KPI alone, I would strongly considering challenging through official channels. As for if I were to get a fair hearing, it's up in the air really. They say they have me in mind as future manager but it just feels like this is just a exercise is keeping me at arms length a lot of the time. They had me spend time with other departments but when I've tried to suggest adopting new processes, they nod but nothing happens.

Being blunt, the supervisor is a known problem across the company and I know I could do a better job - to the point where people in other departments have said as much! - that's the issue really.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

You could always ask for a secondment to one of the other departments, maybe for 6-18 months. You might find they aren't as good as you believe, or you might find they'll fight to keep you on a permanent basis.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

bspittles wrote:You could always ask for a secondment to one of the other departments, maybe for 6-18 months. You might find they aren't as good as you believe, or you might find they'll fight to keep you on a permanent basis.
The thought had crossed my mind particularly from a social perspective, but they are quite different from where I am and I wouldn't see the benefit unless it's a significant financial one (of course if the financials were significant, that would change my thinking!). Also, for me it would feel like giving up when actually turning the ship around would be very rewarding.

Also, they are going ahead soon with a major new system which they have said they want me to be a big part of the implementation (again, big words but what's in it for me if I end up working harder but don't have the pay rise to show for it?). Now, in principle this will be excellent for the business but only if they deal with the current issues to do with performance, otherwise that will undermine everything. I've seen this before elsewhere, bring in new tech to deal with what is actually a performance issue, it's a potentially expensive quick fix that won't work.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Tacalabala wrote:
bspittles wrote:You could always ask for a secondment to one of the other departments, maybe for 6-18 months. You might find they aren't as good as you believe, or you might find they'll fight to keep you on a permanent basis.
The thought had crossed my mind particularly from a social perspective, but they are quite different from where I am and I wouldn't see the benefit unless it's a significant financial one (of course if the financials were significant, that would change my thinking!). Also, for me it would feel like giving up when actually turning the ship around would be very rewarding.

Also, they are going ahead soon with a major new system which they have said they want me to be a big part of the implementation (again, big words but what's in it for me if I end up working harder but don't have the pay rise to show for it?). Now, in principle this will be excellent for the business but only if they deal with the current issues to do with performance, otherwise that will undermine everything. I've seen this before elsewhere, bring in new tech to deal with what is actually a performance issue, it's a potentially expensive quick fix that won't work.
Secondments to other departments won't really work if the company has so appraisal system in place. If they can't handle appraisals then it's unlikely they can handle secondments. I also think it's a mistake to think of being involved in an implementation project in terms of "whats in it for me?" as he rewards should be viewed as long term.
I have been in many projects (global chart of accounts, office relocations, restructuring, new salary systems etc) and non gave a payrise. They were just viewed as pat of the job. These kind of projects are often the path into senior management roles.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Surprised wrote:
Tacalabala wrote:

Secondments to other departments won't really work if the company has so appraisal system in place. If they can't handle appraisals then it's unlikely they can handle secondments. I also think it's a mistake to think of being involved in an implementation project in terms of "whats in it for me?" as he rewards should be viewed as long term.
I have been in many projects (global chart of accounts, office relocations, restructuring, new salary systems etc) and non gave a payrise. They were just viewed as pat of the job. These kind of projects are often the path into senior management roles.
It is as much because I feel I'm underpaid for what I do now, so to take on more but not be properly compensated feels like they are taking advantage - this in the backdrop of them appointing for two new management roles elsewhere.

They also don't seem to bat an eyelid that two of the department regularly turn up early and finish late, but don't take kindly to me doing what amounts to 30 minutes on admin/tidying up remotely at home a week(!). Again, that must indicate a performance problem as these two must be doing upwards of 6 extra hours a week at least but what I see is errors piling up.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”