To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Pub management

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
mysteryshopper
FISOhead

Pub management

Post by mysteryshopper »

So after losing my job of 4 years I'm looking for a new challenge and I'm considering pub management , over the years I've worked several bars at various levels of importance but now want to take then next step and get my own gig. I can't afford a lease so probably be looking for a pub chain to take me on and offer training course of some kind. I was wondering is there any pub landlords amongst the forum who would care to give me any advice on what my next step should be?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Re: Pub management

Post by Spinynorman »

TheTon knows a lot about managing pubs.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

mysteryshopper wrote:So after losing my job of 4 years I'm looking for a new challenge and I'm considering pub management , over the years I've worked several bars at various levels of importance but now want to take then next step and get my own gig. I can't afford a lease so probably be looking for a pub chain to take me on and offer training course of some kind. I was wondering is there any pub landlords amongst the forum who would care to give me any advice on what my next step should be?

Advice......don't do it :)

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Only do it if you and your partner don't drink!
Seen so many people drink the smallish profits and drowning their sorrows.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Unless it is next door to spiny, and you let him stock the Jukebox :lol:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

blahblah wrote:Unless it is next door to spiny, and you let him stock the Jukebox :lol:
If I could do that then I would certainly drink there. :)

Just as long as the sound didn't get turned down when my selections came on. :mrgreen:

mysteryshopper
FISOhead

Post by mysteryshopper »

mad dog wrote:
mysteryshopper wrote:So after losing my job of 4 years I'm looking for a new challenge and I'm considering pub management , over the years I've worked several bars at various levels of importance but now want to take then next step and get my own gig. I can't afford a lease so probably be looking for a pub chain to take me on and offer training course of some kind. I was wondering is there any pub landlords amongst the forum who would care to give me any advice on what my next step should be?

Advice......don't do it :)
Is this talking from personal experience ?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Yes, don't do it.

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

The pub game is effed.

Was a pub gaffa for 2 years, hotel manager for the 3 before that, worked in bars, pubs, hotels and restaurants most of my life. Made the switch in January to a bowling centre company - best decision I ever made.

M&B do a General Manager Designate course. You get taken on on a deputy wage (think I started on £18k(ish)) and train in a 'house of excellence' under an experienced manager. During that time you have an extensive book to complete / get signed off, and you go on a couple of weeks worth of courses (level 2 and 3 food safety, first aid, accredited beer and cellar qualification (ABCQ), cash handling etc and a few others). This ran (for me) for 3 months, then theoretically you can then apply for your own pubs (as long as you're signed off and your trainer thinks you're ready). You'd normally go and do some 'holds'. Looking after pubs while managers are on holiday or have been sacked. You're generally expected to do a couple of holds at least. I was lucky, the pub I trained in lost its manager and having unsuccessfully tried to replace him with a couple of idiots they offered it to me in an attempt to turn it around as I'd built up a good working relationship with the team. It worked, of course, and I left it as a house of excellence once again 8-)

As a rule, if you got a pub before 6 months it'd be a miracle - 12 is a more realistic target.

Think Greene King and Marstons do something very similar. You can apply as an external to the Wetherspoons management programme and must pass 'the forum' (if you go on the forum message me and I'll tell you how to pass it). Not sure if Spirit pub company do anything similar but they're pretty good to work for.

If you need any further info or specific questions answering give me a shout.

The one thing I will say is that it's a hard life. Unsocial hours, high stress, constant battles with payroll and budgets. Unrealistic P&L expectations, and intense scrutiny. That said, nail those things and run a successful pub and it's one of the best, most pleasurable feelings in the world.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Did the smoking ban and cheap supermarket booze cause a hit?

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

blahblah wrote:Did the smoking ban and cheap supermarket booze cause a hit?
The smoking ban worked out brilliantly. Sure there was a hit on wet trade, but food trade went through the roof. Was unbelievable the difference it made. Was a Wetherspoons manager at the time. They were ahead of the curve, making the change to none smoking a good 18 months before the law kicked in. Food went from 5-6k a week to 10-12 a week, drink slipped a few grand but it held better because the eaters would drink. Getting together the right food AND drink offer was key.

Supermarket prices definitely have a negative impact on pubs though. The problem is, most pubs take a GP of around 55% on their food sales, so supplement this with a 77% profit margin on the drink. Means a standard pint of larger is quite expensive, and the premiums can be frighteningly priced!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”