To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Best way to store certificates

A forum for general discussion on Career, Business & Hobby subjects and topics
Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Best way to store certificates

Post by Ashers »

Just been looking at updating my CV and have a load of certificates to put away.

Does anyone know the best place to store these?

Most of them came out of my national record of achievement, but the plastic wallet has taken some of the ink off (not damaged though).

Any ideas?

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Re: Best way to store certificates

Post by Richt »

Would they be ruined if you were to laminate them? and then store them?

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Probably not, but would that not ruin the look of them.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Don't know, if I am honest. (Sorry I can't be more useful).

But then, in hindsight, does it matter what they look like? If the laminate stops the ink from coming off then it's got to be better than what's happening now?

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

when you get over the age of 30 do your certificates still really matter ?

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Achiles74 wrote:when you get over the age of 30 do your certificates still really matter ?
Yes!

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Richt wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:when you get over the age of 30 do your certificates still really matter ?
Yes!
really? I would have thought if you interviewing a 35yr old, his career of last 10 years is far more important than GCSE/A LEVEL certificates

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Achiles74 wrote:
Richt wrote:
Yes!
really? I would have thought if you interviewing a 35yr old, his career of last 10 years is far more important than GCSE/A LEVEL certificates
TBF I've never asked (or been asked for) anything from more than 10 years previous.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Achiles74 wrote:
Richt wrote:
Yes!
What about the professional qualification hes just obtained actually making him/her qualified to do the job applied for.............?? Or maybe he has to renew it each year?

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Bunners wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:
Richt wrote:
Yes!
What about the professional qualification hes just obtained actually making him/her qualified to do the job applied for.............?? Or maybe he has to renew it each year?

But he stated
Most of them came out of my national record of achievement

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Being back in the recruitment game I think I can speak with some sort of authority on this subject......

Ok, not the same certificates that Ashers is going to hold, but we are currently trying to find a local company 3 employees with a Reach (forklift) truck licence. Of course Certificates are going to be needed in this instance.

We obviously couldn't give two hoots what GCSE's someone has, but the forklift certificates are very much needed.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Back in my civil service days, we didn't keep documents that needed retaining in plastic wallets (for that reason). Just file them in a folder or binder.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Ashers wrote:Just been looking at updating my CV and have a load of certificates to put away.

Most of them came out of my national record of achievement, but the plastic wallet has taken some of the ink off (not damaged though).

Any ideas?
I would have thought that some of that acid free paper that they use to store old photo's would help, ie certificates in a folder with the acid free paper between them.

ps what's a National Record of achievement?

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

The certificates range from GCSE, A Levels, Uni and professional.

In the profession I am in, some of these have to be provided annually and others updating every few years.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

unc.si. wrote:
Ashers wrote:Just been looking at updating my CV and have a load of certificates to put away.

Any ideas?
I would have thought that some of that acid free paper that they use to store old photo's would help, ie certificates in a folder with the acid free paper between them.

ps what's a National Record of achievement?
Just a dark red book of A4 plastic wallets to put your certificates in and some rubbish you/your teachers wrote at the age of about 16... not sure if they still have them now, or if it's one of those things that puts you in a pretty specific age band if you happen to own one!

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

I have one of these folders and tried to browse through it on my last house move, I've always kept in in the garage.....if you want to read what's inside I suggest you do not use my storage method!

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

It's amazing how many dingbat employers take a certificate at face value. When we have a printing machine in most houses nowadays, where we can simply make up one at home. What kind of companies do we have nowadays? If the business cannot be bothered to talk and research before they employ, are they worth working for?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I still can't work it out. It's just a piece of paper with some ink on. Does this give you value?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Well, they should have a national electronic record of qualifications by now, but if not the only way is to produce the certificate. Fakes should be pretty obvious with the seals/watermarks etc. Plenty of people do lie about qualifications on applying for jobs so guess there's little alternative.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

So, a graphic designer applies for a job.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

jimmy ching wrote:So, a graphic designer applies for a job.
well if he fakes his "certificate" (if he needs one) and they dont notice I suggest he is good enough at his job for them :wink:

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Ashers, back to your original question.....

Just thought about you as I am in the middle of registering a new candidate and am taking photocopies of his certificates: - Forklift, Health and Safety and also Standard Warehousing ones. The candidate has them all laminated, so I would assume it's safe for you to do so too.

Rich

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Careers, Businesses & Hobbies”