To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Cavity Wall Filling

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Cavity Wall Filling

Post by Ashers »

Was wondering if anyone has had this done?

I seem to be losing heat through my walls and they are cold to the touch, so have thought have this.

What do people think?

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Re: Cavity Wall Filling

Post by el_pappje »

Yep, got it done (and the loft) a couple of years back. Heat used to vanish as soon as the heating went off. Now, not so.

Do a bit of homework and find out who is offering the best deal/grant. Should pay back in a few years and keep you warmer in the meantime.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Yeah get it done mate - your throwing cash away by not having it, yeah it'll cost a few quid now but think about the "long haul" it'll save you a lot over the years.....just don't move house 8-)

SamD
FISO Knight

Insulatation

Post by SamD »

Some info gleaned when doing own research last year that may be of help:

house age: building regulations mean that houses built between 1930 and 1976 have cavity walls;
(unfort, mine's 1923 so no gap); anything after 1976 should already have wall insulation

subsidy: energy supplier and council may contribute to cost; example blurb from British Gas (BG):
householder investing in home insulation from BG may receive rebate of £125 from local authority;
BG customer installation price = £225 for cavity and £249 for full loft insulation;
BG projected energy bill savings = £110 a year with cavity wall and £145 with loft insulation.

unc.si
Grumpy Old Man

Post by unc.si »

Was going to do a joke about my mate Phil McAvity, but decided against it...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si wrote:Was going to do a joke about my mate Phil McAvity, but decided against it...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Re: Insulatation

Post by Ashers »

SamD wrote:Some info gleaned when doing own research last year that may be of help:

house age: building regulations mean that houses built between 1930 and 1976 have cavity walls;
(unfort, mine's 1923 so no gap); anything after 1976 should already have wall insulation

subsidy: energy supplier and council may contribute to cost; example blurb from British Gas (BG):
householder investing in home insulation from BG may receive rebate of £125 from local authority;
BG customer installation price = £225 for cavity and £249 for full loft insulation;
BG projected energy bill savings = £110 a year with cavity wall and £145 with loft insulation.
I read somewhere that only houses built in last 10 years have cavity wall filling.
Last edited by Ashers on 21 Sep 2010, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Ashers wrote:
SamD wrote:Some info gleaned when doing own research last year that may be of help:

I read somewhere that only built in last 10 years have cavity filling.

You are being serious?

I thought it was a gag, like those very strange TV adverts :shock:

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

I live in a small block of flats and we have recently had our cavity walls filled with the help of a grant, we had to pay £175 each on top.

It was sold to us by someone saying that we would notice this difference in cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Personally I haven't noticed anything though. Will reserve full judgement for when the cold months come along.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

blahblah wrote:
Ashers wrote:

I read somewhere that only built in last 10 years have cavity filling.

You are being serious?

I thought it was a gag, like those very strange TV adverts :shock:
Serious about?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Phil MaCavity.

Have you seen the ads?

PS, you have PM.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

blahblah wrote:Phil MaCavity.

Have you seen the ads?

PS, you have PM.

No, what adverts?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Ashers wrote:

Have you seen the ads?

PS, you have PM.

No, what adverts?

I won't spoil the fun, or anti-climax..................

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

blahblah wrote:
Ashers wrote:

Have you seen the ads?

PS, you have PM.

No, what adverts?

I won't spoil the fun, or anti-climax..................
I will have to look out for them. So you not to keen on the idea of cavity insulation?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Is a good idea, if you need it.........

I have always bought older properties, cold in summer, and warm in winter :wink:

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

moving soon to a house built in 1930 - but only single wall (no cavity).

Anyone any experience of (expensive) solid wall insulation?

Aiming to be there 20 years, so prepared for a long pay back.

House also has a back boiler, so preparing myself for a 2nd mortgage for the gas bill :shock:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Is the wall rendered?

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

yes, typical 30s rendering...from the survey

The walls which are approximately 225mm (9'') thick, are built of rendered masonry and appear to be of solid construction.

The walls are in good structural condition with no significant defects apparent. The render is in good order. We found no signs of rising or penetrating damp in the property and the replacement damp-proof course appears fully effective.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

tommymooney wrote:moving soon to a house built in 1930 - but only single wall (no cavity).

House also has a back boiler, so preparing myself for a 2nd mortgage for the gas bill :shock:

Get rid, and get a combi fitted?

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

blahblah wrote:
tommymooney wrote:moving soon to a house built in 1930 - but only single wall (no cavity).

Get rid, and get a combi fitted?

totally agree. It'd pay off over the long run.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

I'm leaning more and more that way I think, obviously going to be expensive, as the back boiler is behind the gas fire in the dining room, and the new boiler will need to be re-sited to the kitchen if there is space.

Would you go combi, or keep the cold water tank and hot water cylinder with a separate immersion? Much difference in price?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Any idea how old the back-boiler is? I would guess it is quite old, and possibly very expensive to fix when it breaks down in the middle (or at the beginning) of a cold snap :wink:

I would guess combi would be cheaper to run as it would only heat the water that you use. Also it means no water tank, so more storage...

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

I believe it is pretty ancient. I do know it is at least safe, as carbon monoxide escaping can be a problem with the open flue, had all that checked in pre-purchase checks.

Apparently it is still legal to replace like with like and get another back boiler - but would be madness unless it is very cheap, due to it being very inefficient.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”