To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Hanging a heavy mirror

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
Pasty
Dumbledore
FS Record: 32nd TFF 07/08 n Fiso 25s Champ

Hanging a heavy mirror

Post by Pasty »

I have a 35 inch mirror to hang above the fireplace. Its a heavy bleeder weighing in at 19 lbs. Thing is I couldn't find anything decent to hang it with other than some picture hook attachements from B&Q. I checked the heavy duty ones out but they could only hold the same weight as the picture hooks (the ones where you hammer 2 nails in ). My question is whether or not 2 of these picture hooks that take a maximum weight of 15.2 lbs will hold a 19 lb mirror :?: :?

Thanks.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Re: Hanging a heavy mirror

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Why don't you drill two holes & hang it on screws in rawl plugs?

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

Beerfuelledman wrote:Why don't you drill two holes & hang it on screws in rawl plugs?
There is that option of course. Its just the drill needs charging and the plug has plastic pins :roll: and one has snapped :oops: .

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Don't use the picture hooks. By the time the mirror gets a good coating of dust it will be over the weight limit :D
I would go for the wall plugs and load bearing screws - not wood screws - you can get a couple of 2.5" - 3" x 8s with a decent screw end which will stop the wire or string slipping off.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Did one myself a few weeks ago - went for the safety first option of having the lower edge "kissing" the surface of the mantelpiece, so if it drops no harm done.

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

paisleypark wrote:Don't use the picture hooks. By the time the mirror gets a good coating of dust it will be over the weight limit :D
I would go for the wall plugs and load bearing screws - not wood screws - you can get a couple of 2.5" - 3" x 8s with a decent screw end which will stop the wire or string slipping off.
Cheers, BFM too. Ok now then :lol: Can the charger plug be cut off and a normal plug be attached to save me having to buy a new drill :D

spoogehead
Grumpy Old Man

Post by spoogehead »

It depends if the charger plug has its own transformer in it , ie does it convert mains voltage to a lower DC voltage. If it does, then no you can't - does it look like a standard plug top?

Javahart
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Not troubling the leaders

Post by Javahart »

Hi mate,

we have a few of these and the best way to achieve this safely is to put a batton of wood in first to spread the weight.

The batton can be 3x2 or 2x1 and should be slightly leess than the width of the mirror!
Drill three/four holes in the batton, then hold the batton on the wall where you want the wire. Mark off the holes using a small drill bit and then drill the marked holes and insert rawl plug. Affix batton to the the wall and then put heavy duty hooks into the batton to hang the mirror. (i get mine from B&Q and are about 3mm thick with threaded end to screw into the wood)

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

Java, that sounds like the best way forward, however I think the wall is most definately solid enough to hold the weight. Unfortunately i've got to crack on with sunday lunch now :roll: no rest for the wicked eh.

Spooge, the plug is a big daft thing. Will be well cheesed off if i need to buy a new drill because of a badly made plug :evil:

To be continued....

spoogehead
Grumpy Old Man

Post by spoogehead »

plug = big daft thing = no, you cant cut it off and stick a standard plug top on it I'm afraid!

Which pin has snapped off? If it's plastic, it must be the earth, ie the one at the 'top'. Have you still got the bit that snapped off?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Can't think what they are called but you can get these metal bolt things (made by Rawplug company??) that expand into your wall as you tighten them.

Used them on my mirror (probably 60 inches)

EDIT - this sort of thing (you can get them at homebase etc)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14258/Fix ... -Pack-of-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

spoogehead wrote:plug = big daft thing = no, you cant cut it off and stick a standard plug top on it I'm afraid!

Which pin has snapped off? If it's plastic, it must be the earth, ie the one at the 'top'. Have you still got the bit that snapped off?
I think so, can i super glue it back on :shock: :D

cHeers Murf.

ffs, just had my KK busted by rags (sorry poker talk) and now i need some * tin foil for me roast aaaggggggg

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

Cornish Pasty wrote:
Yes - have a look at the break face - I had one recently that had a small hole in the centre of both pieces.
I glued a half inch long piece of paper clip wire in there to strengthen the join, which helps stop it breaking off in the socket.

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

Cornish Pasty wrote:
spoogehead wrote:plug = big daft thing = no, you cant cut it off and stick a standard plug top on it I'm afraid!

cHeers Murf.

ffs, just had my KK busted by rags (sorry poker talk) and now i need some * tin foil for me roast aaaggggggg
Who said men can't multi-task? Fine job. I'd help but I'm watching football.

spoogehead
Grumpy Old Man

Post by spoogehead »

No need to superglue it, all you have to do is wedge it in the earth of the socket - this will open up the little plastic covers that hide the live and neutral pins and you'll be able to plug the charger in as normal. Or else you can get a 13A adaptor (looks like this - http://www.discostudio.co.uk/item.php?u ... id=froogle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and do the same thing on the adaptor. The advantage of this is you can leave the broken charger plug permanently in the adaptor (which has nice metal prongs so it won't break)

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I am sure that after all of this excellent advice your project will be completed in a satisfactory manner. Perhaps you will then be able to allow yourself a period of reflection.

primitive man
Grumpy Old Man

Post by primitive man »

You'll need a very heavy hammer for this.

Just hit the mirror dead center with the hammer, it will save a lot of heartache, and have the same end result of trying to hang the thing.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

primitive man wrote:You'll need a very heavy hammer for this.

Just hit the mirror dead center with the hammer, it will save a lot of heartache, and have the same end result of trying to hang the thing.
Then look forward to FF season 2016-17 when the bad luck is over :D

Pasty
Dumbledore

Post by Pasty »

:D

Thats for the advice

thats cause i Just qualified for the $100k at 7pm

Thats for the roast beef dinner eta 6.45

:mrgreen:

Thats for advising Cheryl sticks a piece of plastic into a socket whilst soaking her feet in a bucket of soapy water

Yer Old Da
Sir KnowsFitbaAlot
FS Record: The superstar of FISO

Post by Yer Old Da »

I've just lost the will to live, why did I open this thread? :roll:

YAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Kaká
Cheetah

Post by Kaká »

This is great stuff.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Yer Old Da wrote: why did I open this thread? :roll:
you know how , you can't resist a mirror.

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

Yer Old Da wrote:I've just lost the will to live, why did I open this thread? :roll:

Dunno YODa but the clue was in the thread title - if you're not interested move on. No need to post. You're getting like DD. :roll:

Yer Old Da
Sir KnowsFitbaAlot
FS Record: The superstar of FISO

Post by Yer Old Da »

cherylhoney wrote:
Yer Old Da wrote:I've just lost the will to live, why did I open this thread? :roll:

Dunno YODa but the clue was in the thread title - if you're not interested move on. No need to post. You're getting like DD. :roll:
Now the thread's getting more interesting. :D

Bet I'd look amazing in that mirror CP's hanging. 8-)

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

Yer Old Da wrote:
cherylhoney wrote:

Now the thread's getting more interesting. :D

Bet I'd look amazing in that mirror CP's hanging. 8-)
I know it's big but it wouldn't fit your head and your man cans in it...

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Spinynorman wrote:I am sure that after all of this excellent advice your project will be completed in a satisfactory manner. Perhaps you will then be able to allow yourself a period of reflection.
groan!

You should write christmas cracker jokes :)

wish I'd thought of it

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Javahart wrote:Hi mate,

we have a few of these and the best way to achieve this safely is to put a batton of wood in first to spread the weight.

The batton can be 3x2 or 2x1 and should be slightly leess than the width of the mirror!
Drill three/four holes in the batton, then hold the batton on the wall where you want the wire. Mark off the holes using a small drill bit and then drill the marked holes and insert rawl plug. Affix batton to the the wall and then put heavy duty hooks into the batton to hang the mirror. (i get mine from B&Q and are about 3mm thick with threaded end to screw into the wood)
I've got a couple of heavy mirrors hanging using similar.

However, batton on the wall, and another on the mirror frame, both cut so they interlock. I don't know how to describe this without pictures, but if you imagine a piece of 2 by 2 (the same length as your mirror) and cut it lengthwise at a diagonal, attach one to the wall, one to the back of the mirror. You can then hang the mirror directly to the wall. It makes it easy to remove if needed and you can swing a baby elephant on it.

I need pictures.

DanCaek
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DanCaek »

Gripfill surely? :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”